Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743657 times)

saltusnaut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1890 on: January 27, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »
I know this has been asked already but can't remember: which bushings are compatible with Ace? We're in currently living I can only find Thunder ones.

Mini logo bottoms

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1891 on: January 28, 2020, 03:36:39 PM »
Expand Quote
As much as I'd like to call going from 7071 to 356 an upgrade :P the heat-treated specs on the 2 were similar. iirc..

Since we're talking alloys..
Trucks that say weapons grade or aircraft aluminum are probably 7075 (and maybe 7175?). That's a popular alloy and close to 7071. Their main (I forget correct the word) ingredient is zinc. Pretty sure that's the entire 7000 series.
Both have similar amounts of magnesium, but 7075 also gets a good amount of copper too.
All that stuff should make them grind better. Probably wear down a lil faster cuz of that too (as ppl are confirming?). Might be why they feel soft? But I think (Brindell?) hardness was the same or close. Heat-treated..
I've got an interesting thing in my notes for 7071, 0.25% Ti max. Theeve?

356 has silicon as the main ingredient and about the same amount copper as 7071. And could have a similar, tiny amount of magnesium. It's like traces levels..
A356 is a more pure form of 356.

They're all ~90% aluminum so I think densities are similar.

Virgin means no recycled cans.

Most (all?) heat-treat is T4?

I'll try dig up some links and add them here.

https://books.google.com/books?id=g-aUf3nM6AEC&pg=PT111 7071 and 7075 %'s
If you scroll way up you can see 356

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=707
Doesn't show 7071 T4 but you can compare strength to 356 if you matches the rating, T6 to T6, etc.

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=356

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=7075

No info on 3056 alloy
3xxx is Nickel-chromium steel
4xxx is Molybdenum steel (chromoly)

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=4140
[close]
have a gnar that was great
Thanks. Glad you liked this geekiness. I'll try to add some % info and double check the strength specs.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1892 on: January 28, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »
yeah, i agree, that's pretty cool info satan
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Juanjo789

« Reply #1893 on: February 04, 2020, 07:15:42 AM »
I'm having a hard time breaking in my 1.5 week old ace trucks. should i give up and put on bones bushings? any tips

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1894 on: February 04, 2020, 07:23:01 AM »
I'm having a hard time breaking in my 1.5 week old ace trucks. should i give up and put on bones bushings? any tips
I wouldn’t do it, but I also liked my stock aces since the first minute. Coming from indies with orange aftermarket cylinders I felt no difference other than aces really turn on dime.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Juanjo789

« Reply #1895 on: February 04, 2020, 07:27:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I wouldn’t do it, but I also liked my stock aces since the first minute. Coming from indies with orange aftermarket cylinders I felt no difference other than aces really turn on dime.
i tried removing both washers, but that eliminates the stability that aces provide without compromising turnability (or so I've heard)

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #1896 on: February 04, 2020, 07:58:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
i tried removing both washers, but that eliminates the stability that aces provide without compromising turnability (or so I've heard)

New Aces are really painful to break-in, but once done it will be perfect.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Juanjo789

« Reply #1897 on: February 04, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »
  • :(
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I'm gonna skate them with both washers on and the nut flush

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1898 on: February 04, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
Mine took a while to break in like 10 decent sessions but feel great now.

Definitely got much looser. I switched to Indy top washers during break in, because they are around 1mm thinner and give a little more room for the bushing to be soft enough even when flush.
Now, broken in I can put the ace washer back and have a better compression and pretension on the bushing for smoother turn, less tippy on center.

PMA

Juanjo789

« Reply #1899 on: February 04, 2020, 09:48:04 AM »
Mine took a while to break in like 10 decent sessions but feel great now.

Definitely got much looser. I switched to Indy top washers during break in, because they are around 1mm thinner and give a little more room for the bushing to be soft enough even when flush.
Now, broken in I can put the ace washer back and have a better compression and pretension on the bushing for smoother turn, less tippy on center.
how much impact do the washers make during break in. if i skate with washers will the bushings get softer in comparison with skating without any washers?

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #1900 on: February 04, 2020, 09:56:17 AM »
About equal, I think. But I like how the washers increase the rebound and compression of the bushing a lot. I like riding my trucks looser but with bushings. Without them I feel like the turn is mushy and spongy in comparison. Because the bushing is not held in place by the washer it can deform more and just feels very different, not just softer, if that makes sense.

The bushing should be harder the more it is compressed (the deeper the turn) so it is easy to turn and hard to wheel bite. Loosing the washer just makes the turn softer all the way to max deepness and the bushing doesn’t push back as hard when compressed between the washer and hanger.

So hard to compare the softness per se, but the turn is better with washers after break in. You can loosen the kp more (have an easier initial turn and wiggle with less wheelbite and more rebound in deeper turns)

PMA

Juanjo789

« Reply #1901 on: February 04, 2020, 09:58:54 AM »
 :P
About equal, I think. But I like how the washers increase the rebound and compression of the bushing a lot. I like riding my trucks looser but with bushings. Without them I feel like the turn is mushy and spongy in comparison. Because the bushing is not held in place by the washer it can deform more and just feels very different, not just softer, if that makes sense.

The bushing should be harder the more it is compressed (the deeper the turn) so it is easy to turn and hard to wheel bite. Loosing the washer just makes the turn softer all the way to max deepness and the bushing doesn’t push back as hard when compressed between the washer and hanger.

So hard to compare the softness per se, but the turn is better with washers after break in. You can loosen the kp more (have an easier initial turn and wiggle with less wheelbite and more rebound in deeper turns)
ok so im gonna ride with no washers until i break them in and then putting them back. thx

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1902 on: February 04, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
That’s my boy, you’ll gonna love it after a while.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Juanjo789

« Reply #1903 on: February 04, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
That’s my boy, you’ll gonna love it after a while.
no washers 4 now

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1904 on: February 04, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »
slipped axle on my pair after a few months, never made it to that axle despite how fast I was getting a nice groove from slappies. back on Indys for the foreseeable future, after going back I feel like the turn is about the same, but I definitely notice the wheelbase change, took like 10 mins to get used to but definitely made the board feel less squirrelly after I popped, which again just took adjusting too wasn't make or break.

definitely gonna be checking this thread when they drop the 8.5 truck to see what they did though, not giving up on ace yet. trying to break bullshit brand loyalty by trying new shit but keep getting disappointed.

Diocletian

« Reply #1905 on: February 05, 2020, 08:06:24 AM »
slipped axle on my pair after a few months, never made it to that axle despite how fast I was getting a nice groove from slappies. back on Indys for the foreseeable future, after going back I feel like the turn is about the same, but I definitely notice the wheelbase change, took like 10 mins to get used to but definitely made the board feel less squirrelly after I popped, which again just took adjusting too wasn't make or break.

definitely gonna be checking this thread when they drop the 8.5 truck to see what they did though, not giving up on ace yet. trying to break bullshit brand loyalty by trying new shit but keep getting disappointed.

Try theeve. I did and I’m extremely happy. Top notch quality and better turn than Indy.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 112
« Reply #1906 on: February 07, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »
Enjoy your life.

hmmmokay

« Reply #1907 on: February 07, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »

Literally just copied the link to that post to bring here. What’s good with that kingpin? Very interested.

Edit: And by “what’s good” I mean that I’m wondering if an inverted kingpin is something they might be introducing to the new line? Apologies if this has been discussed already.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:01:23 PM by hmmmokay »

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #1908 on: February 07, 2020, 09:35:46 PM »
It seems like Indy is also looking that way.

Would be crazy if conservative skateboard manufacturing reaches grind king level of ingenuity 20 years later

PMA

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1909 on: February 07, 2020, 10:19:30 PM »
inverted kingpins suck. no grind, no fun

chappers

« Reply #1910 on: February 08, 2020, 06:39:25 AM »
grosso in his comments saying that kingpin is kreeper. also saying 'no krux, no nhs, ever again'

fuck i want to know whats going on over there

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1911 on: February 08, 2020, 08:18:37 AM »

bones top keep the stock bottom

I skated like that for 18months. It was great
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1912 on: February 08, 2020, 09:33:12 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Grind-King-kingpin-skateboard-independent/dp/B07C36BNML

For anyone looking for the Kingpins in Grosso's trucks.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1913 on: February 08, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »
I love a proper inverted kingpin. I wish i had the 2 tool set up though. Allen or skate key adjustability is dope.

In lucky to have two set of grind king set a side from back in the late 80s and I scored a set of like brand new 139? Camo cups from after 02.

It's a high truck so I think the king pin can travel to a thunder np.

I don't have access to a press to push out a king pin.

I have some vintage plates for venture but would a gk king pin a feather lite plate and a 5.6 high even fit together?

I would really like the kingpin from before they made trucks to not be set up agai
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1914 on: February 08, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »

Yikes! $18 shipped for 2 bolts, 2 nuts, and an Allen key?
Too rich for my blood. That's about $4-5 at the hardware store. Only tough part might be finding a bolt with a smooth shank.
If someone wants to measure the underhead length I'll poke around for hardware locally and let you guys know what I can find.

This bolt is too short and the smooth shank portion is also too short. Just putting it up for the dimensions pic.
https://www.mcmaster.com/92949a655

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1915 on: February 08, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
I did the Krux Down Lows a while back.

A few set-ups later...

Diocletian

« Reply #1916 on: February 08, 2020, 04:38:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yikes! $18 shipped for 2 bolts, 2 nuts, and an Allen key?
Too rich for my blood. That's about $4-5 at the hardware store. Only tough part might be finding a bolt with a smooth shank.
If someone wants to measure the underhead length I'll poke around for hardware locally and let you guys know what I can find.

This bolt is too short and the smooth shank portion is also too short. Just putting it up for the dimensions pic.
https://www.mcmaster.com/92949a655

I bought that kreper kingpin off eBay around the holidays just to have a set. There’s a guy that has a box with hundreds of them still in their original packaging. They’ve sold fast but looks like he still has plenty. Just search Kreper kingpin and it’s the only one. $9.99 and like $4 to ship.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1917 on: February 08, 2020, 09:32:52 PM »
I did the Krux Down Lows a while back.

A few set-ups later...

I’m about where your top pic was at rn. How did you press out the kingpins?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1918 on: February 09, 2020, 04:10:37 AM »
I’m getting close to replacing my 169 standard Indy’s with either 169 titanium’s or maybe some Aces. Not sure why I’m posting that but there ya fucken go

sketchyrider

« Reply #1919 on: February 09, 2020, 06:45:29 AM »
I replaced my 169's standard with titaniums and was happy, but still want to try Aces more than just rollin around on someone else's setup. Mostly for the short wheelbase.