Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739151 times)

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4560 on: September 25, 2021, 06:21:40 AM »
Anyone else found that pivot cup issues only happen when you're not running washers? I mostly skate curbs and I used to skate my aces without bushings wiggly loose, I'd go through one pivot cup every session. Since then I've been tightening my trucks until I can use both washers comfortably and I no longer have pivot cup issues at all. I'm guessing this is because
a) washers change the geometry
or
b) looser trucks simply allow the pivot to mash further into the pivot cup

I blew them skating stock bushings, both washers and the nut flush.  I blew the second one using a stock bottom, bones medium top, both washers and the nut flush.

I really think it's the geometry of the truck that puts a lot of pressure on the pivot.  There were a lot of people that broke the pivot on the baseplates with classics.  The AF1s are stronger so that's not happening but the extra pressure is blowing the cups and deforming the pivot area in the baseplates

Indy stage 11 and most other modern trucks were designed using CAD.  Ace were designed by looking at an old truck and telling a factory to make one just like it.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4561 on: September 25, 2021, 07:46:54 AM »
Also blew my ace pivot cups riding comepletlt stock. Got replacement pivot cups. Customer service was great but I did mention the weird fucked up pivot cup cavity and they was more or less like nah you good here’s some pivot cups and stickers. Ace are cool but AF1s was a huge let down for me. I like ace but for that price the tech isn’t their it’s a standard truck with shit design or qc. I like the trucks but it is what it is. They didn’t live up to the hype. They are now gonna be on a tranny only board.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4562 on: September 25, 2021, 07:50:43 AM »

Indy stage 11 and most other modern trucks were designed using CAD.  Ace were designed by looking at an old truck and telling a factory to make one just like it.

is that an opinion or a fact?

i'm not saying AF1s don't have issues but Shrewgy and Joey T have a long history of truck design. (Venture, Thunder Indy).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 08:31:00 AM by Frank and Fred »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #4563 on: September 25, 2021, 12:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm not saying AF1s don't have issues but Shrewgy and Joey T have a long history of truck design. (Venture, Thunder Indy).

The premise is flawed, in addition to being incorrect. CAD isn’t some sort of magic software that assures everything works flawlessly - every bridge that falls in or condo in Miami which collapses was designed in CAD. You can design shitty things in CAD.

Second, you can’t just hand an old truck to a forge in Taiwan and get back a finished product. Even if Ace didn’t draw it up in CAD themselves (and why wouldn’t they, given that they have experience designing trucks?), they would have contracted with someone to do it for them, probably making a mockup in SolidWorks like 99% of everything else manufactured in the last fifteen years. The didn’t just draw up design freehand and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 03:23:25 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BMCsteve

« Reply #4564 on: September 25, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The premise is flawed, in addition to being incorrect. CAD isn’t some sort of magic software that assures everything works flawlessly - every bridge that falls in or condo in Miami which collapses was designed in CAD. You can design shitty things in CAD.

Second, you can’t just hand an old truck to a forge in Taiwan and get back a finished product. Even if Ace didn’t draw it up in CAD themselves (and why wouldn’t they, given that they have experience designing trucks?), they would have contracted with someone to do it for them, probably making a mock up in SolidWorks like 99% of everything else manufacturers in the last fifteen years. The didn’t draw up design freehand and hope for the best.

If you believe all that, Joey T has a great place for you to invest $600

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #4565 on: September 25, 2021, 12:58:10 PM »
just wanted to pop in and say that since i’ve gotten my replacement cups for my AF1s they’ve been totally fine. haven’t noticed any cracking or splitting and i’ve been pretty much been skating just curbs for awhile. oh Ace QC…….

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #4566 on: September 26, 2021, 04:58:04 AM »
Yeah ever since the AF1's came out and how much of a shitty experience they were for me, along with the years of dealing with quality control issues with the classics, I really had to come to my senses and stop riding them. I've been on Venture's and not looking back. Feels good to be on a USA made truck that's regular cast with no frills and isn't really all that heavy. The whole ventures don't turn thing is really a myth, just like any trucks dial in your bushings and wheelbase and they are amazing.

europa1991

• Rep: 52
« Reply #4567 on: September 26, 2021, 08:03:03 AM »
Damn thanks for catching that. I actually had a pair of the AF1 55’s and was kind of miserable… pretty much the same issues everyone else was having but I just donated then after a week.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4568 on: September 26, 2021, 11:13:26 AM »
Are people having performance issues with the blown out pivot cup bushings?

While I agree that it shouldn’t happen in the first place, I’ve never had performance issues with mine despite them blowing out pretty damn fast on Ace classics and AF1s. I’ve just skated them until the pivot cup is so worn out that the pivot tip starts to touch metal on the base of the pivot cup and then changed them. Usually this takes many many months. I don’t normally even know how mine look.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #4569 on: September 26, 2021, 02:06:37 PM »

ron's aces

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #4570 on: September 28, 2021, 07:36:03 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXje54l1yz/?utm_medium=copy_link

Ace just released 94a hard bushings for classics and AF-1's.

Fhk

« Reply #4571 on: September 28, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXje54l1yz/?utm_medium=copy_link

Ace just released 94a hard bushings for classics and AF-1's.
My prayers have been answered. Nut flush with Aces in a few days. Hallefuckinlujah.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:20:24 AM by Seventyfuhkinseven »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4572 on: September 28, 2021, 09:43:15 AM »

ron's aces
being a pro and having to change boards often, i cant fathom running that long of hardware. youd think theyd look for something shorter to make life easier.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #4573 on: September 28, 2021, 10:27:36 AM »
Expand Quote

ron's aces
[close]
being a pro and having to change boards often, i cant fathom running that long of hardware. youd think theyd look for something shorter to make life easier.

1” hardware is great. It doesn’t loosen up on rough ground, so you don’t oval your baseplates. I also find that since I basically never have to re-tighten it it lasts me way longer.

IpathCats

« Reply #4574 on: September 28, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »

1” hardware is great. It doesn’t loosen up on rough ground, so you don’t oval your baseplates. I also find that since I basically never have to re-tighten it it lasts me way longer.

Length of the hardware is irrelevant if the nut/nylock size is the same and all threads are engaged.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #4575 on: September 28, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ron's aces
[close]
[close]

that looks like 1 1/4" or at the minimum 1 1/8" which just seems unnecessary. 1" or 7/8" is fine.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #4576 on: September 28, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Length of the hardware is irrelevant if the nut/nylock size is the same and all threads are engaged.

I can’t prove it with anything but anecdotal evidence but my experience has been 7/8” comes loose on me way easier. Maybe if you sink it way into your deck you’re good but I don’t like going further than flush and having my hardware tight as it needs to be right there

IpathCats

« Reply #4577 on: September 28, 2021, 12:10:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can’t prove it with anything but anecdotal evidence but my experience has been 7/8” comes loose on me way easier. Maybe if you sink it way into your deck you’re good but I don’t like going further than flush and having my hardware tight as it needs to be right there

A lot of 7/8 hardware comes with shorter nuts, might be why. If you skate risers, i recommend soft rubber ones, they will help a lot with hardware vibrating loose.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4578 on: September 29, 2021, 05:11:07 AM »
My new 66 AF1s lasted 4 curb sessions before my pivot cup broke. Back to indie I guess

IpathCats

« Reply #4579 on: September 29, 2021, 06:40:21 AM »

ron's aces

I find it telling that ronnie is still rocking classics.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4580 on: September 29, 2021, 08:35:03 AM »
Expand Quote

ron's aces
[close]

quite literally exactly what i was thinking. ace gave themselves an L by posting that. even their pro riders prefer classics over the af1’s.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4581 on: September 30, 2021, 10:28:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ron's aces
[close]

[close]
quite literally exactly what i was thinking. ace gave themselves an L by posting that. even their pro riders prefer classics over the af1’s.

It may just be that he prefers the wider width of the Classic.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4582 on: September 30, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ron's aces
[close]

[close]
[close]

be that as it may, but whatever the reason is, he still chose the classics.

IpathCats

« Reply #4583 on: September 30, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ron's aces
[close]

[close]
[close]

When you can effectively make up for a width difference that small with washers, I would assume its due to something else. Especially when there is a "superior" option available to you for free. Who knows though, not I, someone DM him like a man. Luan and BA still skate OG formula spits so i guess weirder things have happened.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4584 on: September 30, 2021, 11:51:16 AM »
Have heard of several friends breaking pivot cups on these trucks now... really wanted to try them but that alone makes me want to pass. I heard they are very good at sending a replacement though. Is there any plans for this to get fixed in the future?
ONTARIO CANADA

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4585 on: October 03, 2021, 08:06:24 PM »
Been giving some Af1 55s and 66s a good seeing to over the last couple of months and I've had no issues so far with pivot cups. Bushings took awhile to feel good (I caved and put Krux top bushings in my 66s to avoid wheelbase) but these trucks are really starting to feel good now. Not sure they are such a huge improvement on the classics but they seem to be more durable thus far.

Also zero axle slippage and I land primo all the time because I suck...

Lhotse

• Rep: -36
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4586 on: October 04, 2021, 01:05:28 AM »
My Ace AF1 55s.  8)

and my Ace AF1 33s.  I never ride this board, I'm too afraid to damage it. I'm 58 and this deck was like the 'Holy Grail' in the 70s. Never thought I'd own one but I do now. ;)

Ace AF1s are the best trucks on the market! NOTHING turns as fast as or is stronger. Jeff Tershey took the Stage 3 geometry when he left Independent after working there for years with Eric and Fausto and tweaked it to perfection. Except for downhill, I doubt I'll ever buy another brand of truck for pool riding. Ace is also what comes on all completes from Alva Skates. Good enough for T.A.? Good enough for me and of ALL the people I know who switched over to Ace? Everybody loves them! Not a single complaint ever from anyone, just enthusiasm.  ;)
* I just wish they would come out with a 10" Model '88' so I can replace the Indy 215s on my 10x33 pool board.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4587 on: October 04, 2021, 04:22:03 AM »
Not a single complaint ever from anyone, just enthusiasm.  ;)

::)

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4588 on: October 04, 2021, 04:49:39 AM »
My Ace AF1 55s.  8)

and my Ace AF1 33s.  I never ride this board, I'm too afraid to damage it. I'm 58 and this deck was like the 'Holy Grail' in the 70s. Never thought I'd own one but I do now. ;)

Ace AF1s are the best trucks on the market! NOTHING turns as fast as or is stronger. Jeff Tershey took the Stage 3 geometry when he left Independent after working there for years with Eric and Fausto and tweaked it to perfection. Except for downhill, I doubt I'll ever buy another brand of truck for pool riding. Ace is also what comes on all completes from Alva Skates. Good enough for T.A.? Good enough for me and of ALL the people I know who switched over to Ace? Everybody loves them! Not a single complaint ever from anyone, just enthusiasm.  ;)
* I just wish they would come out with a 10" Model '88' so I can replace the Indy 215s on my 10x33 pool board.

Talk about looking through rose colored glasses. I loved my classics and AF1s QC and Design flaws left such a bad taste in my mouth I went back to Indy.

BMCsteve

« Reply #4589 on: October 04, 2021, 06:41:05 AM »
My Ace AF1 55s.  8)

I'm glad you're stoked on ace but to say that there is "not a single complaint from anyone".....let's just say this thread isn't 150+ pages for no reason