Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 745547 times)

eviltgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5700 on: August 15, 2022, 11:22:58 AM »
Nobody wants to ride indys. Everybody wants to ride a truck that skates just like indys. I've just submitted at this point.

God this is so true. I've been thinking I'm gonna go back to indys. I've been skating aces all this year and I thought I liked them, but every time I try a homies board with indys it just feels so much sturdier and I really think I'd be more consistent if I switched back.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 165
« Reply #5701 on: August 15, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After being a pretty constant Thunder guy I finally wanted to try a pair of Aces out.
Picked up the 8.25 44 classics, ridden ’em twice and I’m already having issues.
Right of the bat I can’t believe how far out the axle sticks. I’ve got washers in and they even looked like this with cruiser wheels.
I’ve got the kingpin/nut pretty flush, and halfway thru both sessions my back truck got so loose I could tighten the nut with my hand!? Somehow that shit just keeps loosening up.
Anyone else have either of these issues? I like the height & how they turn, but I’m already thinking about going and getting another pair of Thunders…

[close]

Was on Ace for a bit, 44 classics too (with 3 washers inside each wheel so the extra axle was perfect, and it made a 8.5-ish truck which is what I'm riding usually) and I went back to Thunders after having problems with my Aces. I really liked the trucks, I think they were amazing, but the kingpin nut on my back truck would loosen up by itself. I even put krazy glue on the nylock and it held up for a while and then it happened again. Was thinking of trying the 55 AF1 once I'm done with my Thunders (or maybe even before that?) because I really enjoyed my 44s. I just wonder if they also have iffy QC too or if they are solid.
[close]

Wild, sounds like you had the exact same issues that I’m dealing with. And the back truck just kept getting loose? Did you try a different nut on it?

Expand Quote
The extra axle you can do the washers like stated above or you can get an old nut that you don’t care about mark where your nut sits with the wheels tightened how you ride them, mark the axle on top of the nut, pull you good nut/wheel off, put old nut on and grind or file the axle to the top of the nut/mark. Use a nut you don’t care about if you go grinder route so you don’t melt the nylock out.
As for the kingpin loosening, have you tried a different nut? I know Aces QC can be a bit lax. New nut may fix it(or not). Cheap and easy if that’s the case, if not your only out some pocket change.
[close]

Haven’t tried a different nut since I’ve only skated them twice. Think I’m gonna give that a go next time out.
I did think about grinding down the axle, just seems like a lot to have to under take for trucks. But I am a bit lazy ha.

As an update, I tried 2 different nuts on the back truck and it STILL rattles loose to the point where I can tighten it with my hands. I DM’d them a few times, got a reply back asking what size I ride then nothing.
 After a few weeks of trying them, I’ve gone back to Thunders. Too much frustration and/or maintenance. Tossed the Ace on a cruiser hoping that’s the move…
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bold

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5702 on: August 15, 2022, 01:16:07 PM »
Expand Quote
hello Ace friends, im curious as to what sort of wheelbases you guys prefer on Aces? prior to skating Ace I was on Venture 5.8s, skating 8.5's with a wheelbase of 14.5 which to me was ideal and my flip tricks were the most consistent they've been. Moved to Ace 44's, stuck with the 14.5 wb and my tricks went to shit but I figured adjustment period etc. Been over a month now and things are still iffy so I'm thinking maybe drop to a smaller wb, but then I see posts about smaller wb being a bit too squirrely on Ace so I really don't know.
[close]

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but if the deck comes in at 14.5 when you put the ACE 44 on they tighten the wheelbase to about 14.25 axel to axel

Deck wheelbase is measured between inner most truck bolt holes, not axle to axle. Trucks add about 2-3 inches to the deck to get the axle-to-axle WB brand depending. Indy adds about 3". So if you measure 14.5" axle to axle on Indy's the deck WB would be about 12".

Ace don't add as much to the axle-to-axle measurement as Indy or thunder.

From earlier in this thread.
"Just mounted a new set of 44 classics and a new set of 55 AF1s to the same board:

Ace Classics:
17.09375 (3/32) (axle to axle)
+ 17.21875 (7/32) (axle to axle)
\ 2 (to average results)
= 17.15625 (5/32)
-14.375 (wheelbase of board)
=2.78125 (25/32) or 2.75” wheelbase extension.

Ace AF1:
17.40625 (13/32) (axle to axle)
+ 17.25 (8/32) (axle to axle)
/2 (to average results)
= 17.328125 (10.5/32)
-14.375” (wheelbase of board)
= 2.953125 (30.5/32) or 2.875” / 3” wheelbase extension depending on how you look at it.

Basically the new ones have a tiny bit of a wider wheelbase (1/8” - 1/4”)"

Weezil

« Reply #5703 on: August 15, 2022, 01:29:13 PM »
I got some af1s to try out. Just got done with some ventures, tried the classics in 44 and 55 before (liked the 44, didn't like the 55s).

They just feel like indys to me, I dont notice anything crazy with the turn, pop, or grind. They just feel like they stepped up the quality of the classics. I dont think they're worth 63 bucks but I'm enjoying them. the metal feels higher quality, and they have better kingpin clearance than the classics which I wasn't expecting so that was cool.

I still think indys are the best value for a pair of trucks. like 50 bucks and the hangers have a ton of metal on them, good kingpin clearance, good grind, good turn, lots of bushings. I think venture is close second because you can grind them down to the axle before you hit kingpin and they're like 40 bucks, plus on sale all the time.

I will say if you're a tweaker about ghost pop, which I too would whiff kickflips with indys on my board, the af1s seem to fix that for me. I'll probably get some thunders to try again next, maybe do the inverted kingpin on them, or get another pair of ventures or something. these are pretty good though.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5704 on: August 15, 2022, 04:47:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Nobody wants to ride indys. Everybody wants to ride a truck that skates just like indys. I've just submitted at this point.
[close]

God this is so true. I've been thinking I'm gonna go back to indys. I've been skating aces all this year and I thought I liked them, but every time I try a homies board with indys it just feels so much sturdier and I really think I'd be more consistent if I switched back.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5705 on: August 15, 2022, 09:56:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've been enjoying Indys with Ace low bushings so far. Feels like a decent compromise to me.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #5706 on: August 15, 2022, 10:51:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've been enjoying Indys with Ace low bushings so far. Feels like a decent compromise to me.

Yeah, I had some 149s with blown out bushings which I replaced with some Ace bushings off of a set of axled and bent Classics and they work great. I don't know if the bushings match height-wise or anything, but frankly I've adjusted to it and it have absolutely no complaints.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5707 on: August 16, 2022, 12:34:43 AM »

Looks like hollow everything is happening soon.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5708 on: August 16, 2022, 02:23:18 AM »

This could either be a solution for my truck madness, or gasoline on my madness fire.

Bold

« Reply #5709 on: August 16, 2022, 03:44:24 AM »

Wonder if they will also solve the axle hang out issue?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5710 on: August 16, 2022, 06:40:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which is what?

Bold

« Reply #5711 on: August 16, 2022, 11:55:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Which is what?

They stick out too far with normal width wheels.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5712 on: August 16, 2022, 12:12:29 PM »
I don't think so. Might depend on the size truck. On my 60s and 66s, if anything there isn't enough axle. I doubt they will change this.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #5713 on: August 16, 2022, 12:35:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Which is what?
[close]

They stick out too far with normal width wheels.

I see what you mean if you're using super skinny wheels, but it's really not a problem at all. The long axles are intentional and give you lots of width options by using none or up to 3 speed rings between hanger and wheel.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5714 on: August 16, 2022, 12:40:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I had some 149s with blown out bushings which I replaced with some Ace bushings off of a set of axled and bent Classics and they work great. I don't know if the bushings match height-wise or anything, but frankly I've adjusted to it and it have absolutely no complaints.

From what I've heard, Ace standard are slightly taller than Indy bushings (2~5mm or so? Can't remember) And the lows are only 1mm shorter than Indy bushings.

The lows work great but might have sightly too much kingpin uncovered perhaps?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #5715 on: August 17, 2022, 01:07:16 PM »
I have been skating ace trucks all week and it may sound strange but the 55s feel lighter than my Indy 149s ground down 1/8”. According to the data Ace trucks are heavier.

Looking at my risers it looks like the Ace trucks push the wheel base in about 1/2”. Maybe the shorter wheel base on the same deck makes it feel like it takes less effort ollie off the tail and nose.

Also, on my 14.75” wheelbase deck my trucks aren’t squirrelly but I’m sure my standard 14.25” size would be a different story.

All and all not that different from Indys.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5716 on: August 17, 2022, 01:34:53 PM »
I'll dip on those hollow 8.5" standard AF1s

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

From what I've heard, Ace standard are slightly taller than Indy bushings (2~5mm or so? Can't remember) And the lows are only 1mm shorter than Indy bushings.

The lows work great but might have sightly too much kingpin uncovered perhaps?

The ACE classic bottom and top are both taller than the current (china) stock bushings (used to only be the top that was taller but the new indy stock bottoms are about 1mm shorter than the old stocks/ace bottoms).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:55:30 PM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5717 on: August 17, 2022, 01:37:58 PM »
@GardenSkater77 Classics or AF1?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #5718 on: August 17, 2022, 01:40:10 PM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5719 on: August 17, 2022, 01:45:54 PM »
Yep. I get it. I've been on classic 55s recently and I can't get off them. Even though they should be too wide for my purposes and usual tastes, I've been doing my best flip tricks in recent times on them.

FYI, there are super cheap Classic 55s on sale all over the place... (I already have a back up set bc I have an irrational fear they will be discontinued)

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5720 on: August 17, 2022, 08:54:07 PM »
Yep. I get it. I've been on classic 55s recently and I can't get off them. Even though they should be too wide for my purposes and usual tastes, I've been doing my best flip tricks in recent times on them.

FYI, there are super cheap Classic 55s on sale all over the place... (I already have a back up set bc I have an irrational fear they will be discontinued)

Where?

Frank and Fred

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #5722 on: August 18, 2022, 12:29:47 AM »

Can’t believe it took this long to make this happen… now I’m not even sure if I want them anymore.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5723 on: August 18, 2022, 11:40:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can’t believe it took this long to make this happen… now I’m not even sure if I want them anymore.

Feeling the same exact way. Maybe a year to a few months back this would have blown mind. Now I don't even think I'll try them

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5724 on: August 18, 2022, 11:47:07 AM »
i dont really want to go any looser than i already feel on indy, so then ace probably doesnt make sense for me and i should probably just stick to indy?

cleveridiot

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5725 on: August 18, 2022, 12:20:40 PM »
i dont really want to go any looser than i already feel on indy, so then ace probably doesnt make sense for me and i should probably just stick to indy?

I actually feel like I can get a tighter turning radius than indy with tighter Ace's. So I get the stability of not being too floppy while still getting a deep turn.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5726 on: August 18, 2022, 12:22:39 PM »

Kind of? What bushings do you have on your Indys? If the standard bushings are perfect for you, just stick with Indy. If you're like swapping in some softer Bones or Indy bushings then I would recommend Ace. They have better turn radius with more rebound to the bushings than other softer bushings.

I was able to actually get a pretty good compromise between the two trucks with a pack of Ace Low Bushings on my Indy trucks. Might be something for you to experiment with.

I love Ace, they are more "fun" and turn a bit sharper, but harder to balance on when setting up flip tricks for example. If you do a lot of cruising Ace are worth trying... But if you're mainly just trick skating at spots you drive to, then Indy are going to be better for that.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #5727 on: August 18, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »

You don’t need to skate them loose to get the benefits. Medium tightness and they still turn great for me.

IMO they turn better but I don’t think they’re as stable overall as Indy and I don’t feel the grind is as good.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #5728 on: August 18, 2022, 03:10:29 PM »
Yeah I run my aces tight. My ventures are a good medium loose and still stable but I like having my aces tight to replicate a similar predictability and stability (maybe replicate isn't the right term, but I def have to run my aces tighter than my ventures). Funny because they will still turn sharper and deeper than my ventures if I lean. Aces are definitely not a loose trucks only thing
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 03:39:58 PM by tzhangdox »

Slugboi22

• Rep: 65
« Reply #5729 on: August 18, 2022, 03:38:54 PM »
I have my AF1 55s set with hard bushings and i find the stability to be perfect while still getting a great turn. if you’re considering the switch from indy to ace that’s the route i’d go!