Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 630174 times)

loco bob, Dorje Drolo (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6120 on: January 25, 2023, 09:54:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I run the lows, with the hard bushings, and no risers on 52mm teardrop loopholes, I definitely get some wheelbite, but itís tolerable. Mind you Iím not skating drops or big ass sets but I can backside flip the 5 star at the park and ride away, I canít deal with risers
[close]

so if i set up my normal AF1 with 52mm or smaller, i will probably never get wheelbite?
i am on 58mm right now lol i can skate stairs but get bodied sometimes

Not sure where the limit actually is but I still got wheelbite on ~50 mm wheels on standard AF1s with 1/8" risers. It's just that with Aces the wheelbite is never a surprise for me like it is with Indys so I don't mind at all and once you're wheelbiting you're turning more than you'll ever be able to with any other truck.

If you want trucks that don't wheelbite get Krux. They suck in every aspect but I could not get them to wheelbite no matter what with 54 mm wheels and no risers.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 28
« Reply #6121 on: January 25, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I run the lows, with the hard bushings, and no risers on 52mm teardrop loopholes, I definitely get some wheelbite, but itís tolerable. Mind you Iím not skating drops or big ass sets but I can backside flip the 5 star at the park and ride away, I canít deal with risers
[close]

so if i set up my normal AF1 with 52mm or smaller, i will probably never get wheelbite?
[close]

Not sure where the limit actually is but I still got wheelbite on ~50 mm wheels on standard AF1s with 1/8" risers. It's just that with Aces the wheelbite is never a surprise for me like it is with Indys so I don't mind at all and once you're wheelbiting you're turning more than you'll ever be able to with any other truck.

If you want trucks that don't wheelbite get Krux. They suck in every aspect but I could not get them to wheelbite no matter what with 54 mm wheels and no risers.

Damn i went from ace to thunder to venture to indy and the random wheelbite thing is so true. Might be cuz i have big wheels rn but it confuses me how i can u-turn without wheelbite but as soon as i actually do tricks its noticable and scope-limiting

IpathCats

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
  • REGULATOR in chief
« Reply #6122 on: January 26, 2023, 09:37:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn i went from ace to thunder to venture to indy and the random wheelbite thing is so true. Might be cuz i have big wheels rn but it confuses me how i can u-turn without wheelbite but as soon as i actually do tricks its noticable and scope-limiting

I would guess this is because you use more force when popping/landing tricks than just turning, and since ACE's turn so quickly/easily that difference in force is all it takes to cause wheelbite. I have a similar experience with ACE's. Fun trucks, i love riding around on them, ollies/grinds are fine, but my consistency goes out the door as soon as i start trying other tricks.
.....Nah

FGO925

• Rep: 10
« Reply #6123 on: January 26, 2023, 12:24:44 PM »
What are the biggest differences between the OG ace, and the AF1?

I know the sizing is different, but does it change the wb any different/different turn geo/ride height?

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6124 on: January 26, 2023, 12:30:31 PM »
Aside from sizing, the biggest difference the aluminum. Feels way denser and lasts way longer. Its s bit heavier but probably a lot stronger. Some people think there is a tiny bit of difference in geometry, which also makes the wheelbase a fraction longer but I'm not sure about this. For whatever reason the classics feel and turn slightly better for me but AF1s are worth it due to the better sizing (I love an 8.75" truck) and better materials.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #6125 on: January 26, 2023, 12:38:18 PM »
What are the biggest differences between the OG ace, and the AF1?

I know the sizing is different, but does it change the wb any different/different turn geo/ride height?

If you want classic geometry on AF1 quality, get the AF1 lows with riser pads. Amazing trucks with more kingpin clearance than AF1 standards for some reason

LebowskisRug

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
« Reply #6126 on: January 26, 2023, 02:24:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any ace pilots here that use the 1/8Ē with the AF1s? And if you do, whatís the reason?
[close]

The 1/8Ē? What do you mean? Risers?
[close]

Oh, my bad. Yeah ofc risers, Iím gonna edit the post.
[close]

Yeah, I run 1/8Ē risers on all my Aces, classics and AF1s. Initially I did it for wheel clearance skating some 58mm wheels but as they wore down to 50mm I still liked how the setup felt so I kept them on. Then when I changed to my usual 54mm wheels I still ran the risers and liked it.

Iíve tried several decks without the risers and I always end up putting them back on because I like the pop feel better with the risers. There are some decks which have not worked for me with risers though. The Polar P2 is one example but I didnít like that board anyway.
[close]

Thanks for the reply, Iím thinking about putting them on.
[close]

Jordan Trahan runs them on lows. Hit up his IG and ask why.
[close]

I run the lows with 1/8" risers. Kingpin clearance is better than hi's and it brings the height up to 52mm while shrinking the wheelbase to feel like Ace classics.

I DM'ed him and he doesn't run them anymore only did for that video. That doesn't really make sense to me isn't the WB of the lows the same?

LebowskisRug

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
« Reply #6127 on: January 26, 2023, 02:25:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I would guess this is because you use more force when popping/landing tricks than just turning, and since ACE's turn so quickly/easily that difference in force is all it takes to cause wheelbite. I have a similar experience with ACE's. Fun trucks, i love riding around on them, ollies/grinds are fine, but my consistency goes out the door as soon as i start trying other tricks.

Every time I see an Ace pro in real life they have like 2 threads showing minimum cuz of this "feature"

IpathCats

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
  • REGULATOR in chief
« Reply #6128 on: January 27, 2023, 05:54:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Every time I see an Ace pro in real life they have like 2 threads showing minimum cuz of this "feature"

almost flush on my zip zinger. 2 threads on my larger cruiser.

I guess their geo/turning characteristics could be considered a "feature" of their design.
.....Nah

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #6129 on: January 27, 2023, 06:14:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm only 60kg/130pounds, have 1-2 threads showing and they're medium I guess. So yeah the kingpin could just be shorter, but those guys aren't riding them tight.

Deadringer

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6130 on: Today at 09:18:49 AM »
Size chart on the new Ace/Mesa Dist. site has an AF1 80 listed. Canít remember if that was talked about here, but would seem to indicate itís coming soon.