Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738808 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6330 on: April 16, 2023, 09:39:15 AM »
From the latest Thrasher (#515)

Black baseplates with raw hangers?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #6331 on: April 16, 2023, 11:47:30 AM »

That skate pic so good tho. Looking like some wide ones, the pop needed, and the front truck articulation…very nice

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6332 on: April 16, 2023, 12:10:23 PM »

Says Theories below it, so collab.

One can only hope for mag plates again ;) I'd be first inline for some hollow mag AF1s

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #6333 on: April 16, 2023, 12:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Says Theories below it, so collab.

One can only hope for mag plates again ;) I'd be first inline for some hollow mag AF1s

Hollow mag af1s would be a purchase for certain.   
I bitched about the af1s, and some of that was justified, but the manufacturing seems really good.
Now that I’m skating so sporadically, some of the stuff I didn’t like before, bothers me much less. Very good trucks

VCR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #6335 on: April 16, 2023, 06:14:37 PM »
^ The raw finish looks dope.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6336 on: April 17, 2023, 04:23:25 AM »
Ace is the only 8" truck that doesn't feel tic-tacky to me.
ONTARIO CANADA

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #6337 on: April 17, 2023, 07:26:11 AM »
Damn, the nerd in me really wants those for the raw hanger to match the dull rugged look of the vintage Indy plates that I pair them with for IKP usage. Can’t find them anywhere besides that native skate store link tho.

GiftedBater

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6338 on: April 18, 2023, 08:44:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried combining a normal af1 axle with the hollow af1 baseplate/kingpin? Basically making what they did with the low normal sized. I’m assuming the geometry is the same.
[close]

So like a hollow AF1 with added weight because of the axle? I’m sure they are compatible, but what’s the reasoning? Why?

To offset some of the weight while having an axle that feels sturdier and less tinny.

IpathCats

« Reply #6339 on: April 19, 2023, 05:52:31 AM »
Trying my AF1's on my regular setup again. Seeing pics of ACE dudes with them all cranked down made me think i should just try to run them tighter.

Roughly 3 threads showing, ACE hard bushings.

Feels pretty decent/stable and I can still get a great turn if i lean into it. I felt like on indy's i had to choose between surfy and stable. I'm hoping to get a more balanced mix of the two with the aces tightened more than i initially thought appropriate.

Should probably put this in the madness thread haha.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #6340 on: April 19, 2023, 06:34:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried combining a normal af1 axle with the hollow af1 baseplate/kingpin? Basically making what they did with the low normal sized. I’m assuming the geometry is the same.
[close]

So like a hollow AF1 with added weight because of the axle? I’m sure they are compatible, but what’s the reasoning? Why?
[close]

To offset some of the weight while having an axle that feels sturdier and less tinny.

Well then, yea bro they are interchangeable as far as I know, I put the hollow hangers on my low baseplates, I just have never heard anyone trying it between the regular and hollow AF1, I would think it wouldn’t be an issue
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6341 on: April 19, 2023, 08:33:11 AM »
Tightened af1 44 iss exactly what I wanted. Stability but with that carvey turn

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #6342 on: April 19, 2023, 08:37:27 AM »

As my bushings have worn out, I've cranked them further and further. Not they're probably showing ~3-4 threads, but they're still relatively loose and carve great.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Fartknocker415

« Reply #6343 on: April 19, 2023, 09:33:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As my bushings have worn out, I've cranked them further and further. Not they're probably showing ~3-4 threads, but they're still relatively loose and carve great.
Ya I had them flush to start, was doing lots of slaps and whatnot and found they got looser (top bushing compresed snd looks like its splitting). So then I decided to tighten a couple of threads down and voila, felt good again. But now im like, maybe I should look into replacing the bushings? I've never been a truck madness guy, I had the same Indys for like 6 years before I got these trucks, but I wanna do them right.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6344 on: April 19, 2023, 09:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ya I had them flush to start, was doing lots of slaps and whatnot and found they got looser (top bushing compresed snd looks like its splitting). So then I decided to tighten a couple of threads down and voila, felt good again. But now im like, maybe I should look into replacing the bushings? I've never been a truck madness guy, I had the same Indys for like 6 years before I got these trucks, but I wanna do them right.
Don't change anything unless it feels wrong when skating. Sometimes the more fucked up the bushings are, the better it feels

IpathCats

« Reply #6345 on: April 19, 2023, 09:46:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Don't change anything unless it feels wrong when skating. Sometimes the more fucked up the bushings are, the better it feels

I need to follow this rule

but my setup obsessive tendencies make it hard.

I gotta look at my setup and feel right/good about it.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #6346 on: April 19, 2023, 10:09:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I thought this was normal? I've had it happen on both Indy and Ace trucks. Happens a lot quicker on the Bones Hards I used to skate in my Indy's, which actually made me change to Ace with stock bushings. So far I've worn down about 3 decks on them with only minimal damage to the front truck bushings.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #6347 on: April 19, 2023, 11:05:21 AM »
i do that with indys as well. as the bushings get worn in you will notice they get super loose and you will have to tighten them.

it seems like the back truck (i think?) wears out slightly faster than the front one too, so you end up with kinda un-even cranking but i try to get them feeling about the same if that makes any sense
ONTARIO CANADA

Fartknocker415

« Reply #6348 on: April 19, 2023, 01:01:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I thought this was normal? I've had it happen on both Indy and Ace trucks. Happens a lot quicker on the Bones Hards I used to skate in my Indy's, which actually made me change to Ace with stock bushings. So far I've worn down about 3 decks on them with only minimal damage to the front truck bushings.

It might be, this pair of aces is my first pair of new trucks in ages. I can't remember seeing my bushings doing it but I also haven't skated this much slappies ever...

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6349 on: April 20, 2023, 10:47:21 AM »

Experimenting with this and so far I'm linking it... 94a hard top as a bottom / 91a stock top as a top with both washers
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

IpathCats

« Reply #6350 on: April 20, 2023, 11:15:35 AM »

Experimenting with this and so far I'm linking it... 94a hard top as a bottom / 91a stock top as a top with both washers

that is one turny ass setup, conicals on both sides making the wheelbase even shorter than stock and almost no KP showing!

I could never skate well on that. It would be fun though, until i tried to do tricks lol.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:10:47 PM by IpathCats »

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6351 on: April 20, 2023, 11:58:43 AM »
that is one tunry ass setup, conicals on both sides making the wheelbase even shorter than stock and almost no KP showing!

I could never skate well on that. It would be fun though, until i tried to do tricks lol.

Funny enough it's no less wobbly than the stock bottom with the Thunder top. I tried the 91a/94a combo both ways and felt like I got a more controlled turn with less wobble running the 94a on the bottom. I'm only 136lbs and I'd classify the feel (for me) as "controlled loose" and not to the point of rattling. I'd probably need to ditch the bottom washer to get them to flop around on their own lol
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #6352 on: April 20, 2023, 12:45:30 PM »
Anyone in the USA know where to find those theories collabs yet? I want them for the hangers badly.

IpathCats

« Reply #6353 on: April 20, 2023, 08:13:42 PM »
Anyone in the USA know where to find those theories collabs yet? I want them for the hangers badly.

I can't decide how I feel about them.

I want to say I like them. But the idea of a raw/flat hanger just seems wrong.

Looked weird on lurpivs, but it wore away quickly.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #6354 on: April 21, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »
its weird i definintely remember when i first got on Ace it felt WAY too turny and i was like tightening it like fucken crazy. Coming off of Indy's that I rode almost stock, really loose. now i am used to Ace it doesnt feel loose at all. I have like ~1 thread down and it almost feels too tight.
ONTARIO CANADA

threequartercab

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6355 on: April 24, 2023, 01:30:05 AM »
General Question: would it be possible to mix a ace-low baseplate with classic 44 hangers? Or are only AF1s fitting the news baseplates?
Would i get a low truck thats 8.35 wide? Since the baseplate is what makes the ace-lows low.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 36
« Reply #6356 on: April 24, 2023, 02:00:40 AM »
Trying my AF1's on my regular setup again. Seeing pics of ACE dudes with them all cranked down made me think i should just try to run them tighter.

Feels pretty decent/stable and I can still get a great turn if i lean into it. I felt like on indy's i had to choose between surfy and stable. I'm hoping to get a more balanced mix of the two with the aces tightened more than i initially thought appropriate.

I'm into the Stage 4 Indy's. They are amazing trucks. Somehow both stable and surfy. Coming from Ace where it was just surfy all the way with stock bushings.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6357 on: April 24, 2023, 02:45:01 AM »
General Question: would it be possible to mix a ace-low baseplate with classic 44 hangers? Or are only AF1s fitting the news baseplates?
Would i get a low truck thats 8.35 wide? Since the baseplate is what makes the ace-lows low.

Doesn't fit. The classic hanger nub is too big for the af1 pivot cup

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6358 on: April 24, 2023, 04:37:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Doesn't fit. The classic hanger nub is too big for the af1 pivot cup
You can use any other classic pivot cups, and it will fit.

IpathCats

« Reply #6359 on: April 24, 2023, 06:08:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm into the Stage 4 Indy's. They are amazing trucks. Somehow both stable and surfy. Coming from Ace where it was just surfy all the way with stock bushings.

The ace hard bushings make them feel less crazy, especially when you have them tightened down a bit. I have  about 3 threads showing.

Feeling goooood.