Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738934 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
The axel is starting to slip on mine. Ill be skating and one wheel will be super loose while the other one is locked in tight.  Not too much of a big deal but that shit gets annoying. I am sure its a defect but the shit thing is I am in China and Aces are hard to find here. Which is why I dont want to even inform Ace about it because shipping is expensive.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

vegan*shawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »
Had that happen on a set of mine after they where worn out, I just added extra washers and kept the bolt a little loose so there was some play.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
I'm currently skating  some indys but am really tempted to try out some ace trucks. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they compare to one another? Also I'm guessing for 8.25 should I go with ace 44? Would these poke out of my board? 

eSHkidd

• Rep: -2
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
I'm currently skating  some indys but am really tempted to try out some ace trucks. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they compare to one another? Also I'm guessing for 8.25 should I go with ace 44? Would these poke out of my board? 

Ace 44 are 8.25 axle and made for 8.25.

However, imo, Ace are really lacking for street tricks (flat/rail/ledge/impact). Ace are lighter and turn more cruisier than Indy, and are great for transition and bowls. However, note that only Indy/Thunder/Venture are USA-made, and Ace are manufactured in China. I have serious problems with locking in, balance, and grinding on street obstacles compared to Indy and Thunder. I would recommend Indy > Ace due to Indy being much more of a quality U.S. build, much better for street, and are equal to Ace in transition.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2014, 09:01:19 PM »
A lot of the newer Indy's are made in china, all Indy axles and nuts are now Chinese. I have tried to skate friends boards with Indy's on them and after 5 years of riding ACE, Indy feel like shit!!

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »
Ace hangers are convexed too which makes them a little but harder to get used to grinding street obstacles. They make them that way so you lock into grinds on your wheel, making them a good option for tranny, but they're a bit sketchy on rails and ledges.

And it's quite obvious that ace skate really loose and turny, but they're super stable. After you're used to them, all other trucks are going to feel tighter. I tried to get the same turn out of my Indys as I had on my ace so I loosened them up a bunch and I could barely ride for the first like half hour because they were so floppy. I like them now, but it definitely took some getting used to.

cookieboy

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
Man I'm honestly torn between either getting a new set of indys or the ace but I'll give ace a shot. I really want to get into skating tranny and I'm sure after time I'll get use to grinding in them. Thanks a lot for all the input guys!

N.L.

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »
Stick with Indy or Thunder. They are mostly made in SF still, except the forged stuff. I'm sure the bolts and nuts, etc are just mass-produced and every truck manufacturer uses the same.

The Stage 11 turn really well, are higher than Aces and are stronger, form what I've seen. Ace metal feels very different also... softer perhaps?

If you want a lighter truck with a quicker turn, Thunder are very good also.

Just an opinion...

cookieboy

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
Thunders are also pretty great. The last pair I had were some 149 raws and those were great. I'm also interested in the new thunders that they recently started to make.

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2014, 12:20:40 PM »
Man I'm honestly torn between either getting a new set of indys or the ace but I'll give ace a shot. I really want to get into skating tranny and I'm sure after time I'll get use to grinding in them. Thanks a lot for all the input guys!
ace are probably the best trucks i've skated. been riding them for the last few years and had no problems, other than pivot cups wearing out/ a problem for me with any trucks. and the kingpins can get loose, but i've skated with them like that for a year, and they never broke. recently i've been wanting to change things up and skate a bulkier hanger though

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
Are Ace 44s 8.25 or 8.5?

I keep wanting to try something bigger than 8.0 but the last two times I tried new trucks I hated the results and was out $90. Thunder 149s were wheelbite city and Indy Stage 10s were heavy and slow.

Currently riding Hi Venture 5.2s which are a weird truck but I'm used to them. Seems like nobody else on the planet rides Venture Hi's...

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
You can ride 44's on boards up to 8.75

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
i'm a recent convert.  Vegan Seanny helped talk me into it

at first it was hard to get used to how turney they are, even with them tightened up.  didn't take too long though.  i'm really digging them now and would probably dislike riding Indy's, though i am intrigued by the titanium ones

i like that Ace are slightly lighter, less bulky, and nice clean lines.   minus is the pivot cups blew out on me quickly.  i would buy some ahead of time to have around.  i'm riding mine with bones mediums. 

the other reason i wanted to get them is i wanted to bump up to a slightly bigger set up, but no a 8.5.  44's seem perfect for 8.25 range deck
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

cookieboy

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2014, 04:11:16 PM »
Does any pivot cup work? I'm thinking of ordering some ace 44 with bones medium and some extra pivot cups just in case off of tactics but I'm not sure if some indy pivot cups will work just fine.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
i'm sure they do.  i've red people using whichever brand, but i went ahead and bought the Ace ones
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »
I used Indy and Ace ones with no issue. I would recommend getting extra pivot cups, hopefully they will get that defect fixed soon. 

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2014, 05:25:07 PM »

Agreed, and I am pretty loyal to Thunder trucks. Great combo of weight, durability and functionality. I never understood when people say they can't get Thunders to turn. Just doesn't make any sense. I skate medium duro conical bushings (Bones or Khiro) and they turn great. I also hear people complain about wheelbite with Thunders, but that will happen with any loose truck. I normally ride 53/54 size wheels and it's fine. I skated Ace 44 last year and I thought they felt a little sloppy and I wasn't crazy about the quality. That said, I fully back Joey Tershay and what he is doing with Ace, they just don't work for me.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2014, 08:09:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed, and I am pretty loyal to Thunder trucks. Great combo of weight, durability and functionality. I never understood when people say they can't get Thunders to turn. Just doesn't make any sense. I skate medium duro conical bushings (Bones or Khiro) and they turn great. I also hear people complain about wheelbite with Thunders, but that will happen with any loose truck. I normally ride 53/54 size wheels and it's fine. I skated Ace 44 last year and I thought they felt a little sloppy and I wasn't crazy about the quality. That said, I fully back Joey Tershay and what he is doing with Ace, they just don't work for me.

i went from thunders to the ace 33's and loved how they turned. i just couldn't get used to riding my thunders just as loose with such a low king pin.. i posted on here my accels slipped (for sure a defect) and i am living in china where ace's aren't stocked at the local shop. i would have boughten another pair easily if they were around.. had to get some venture hi's and they work pretty well so far.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

N.L.

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Currently using the new Thunder 149s with broken-in-to-shit bones meds, 55mm wheels and 1/8" riser pad and get very little wheelbite problem.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
To me turning wise you can't even bring in thunder in the same conversation.....

chickeneverymeal

• Rep: 3
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2014, 11:46:38 PM »
I got some Ace 2 months ago and really liked how they felt. However sunday both axles slipped. I have never had a pair personally that had one slip let alone 2 at the same time. Got some thunder lights now.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2014, 04:27:57 AM »
I replaced the bushings (with Bones hards) and pivot cups (with Indy ones) in my Aces that I've had for a couple months, and even after skating a few times since then, my setup feels like shit. Super creaky and just doesn't turn right. Is it just the bushings or do pivot cups have to be broken in too? Usually Bones bushings don't take this long to break in so I'm not sure what to do other than just ride it out.
Any tips?
It might be that the Bones Hard bushings are too hard. I've ridden Ace with hard on the bottom and medium on top and that worked well. Are you using washers on the bushings?

N.L.

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »
To me turning wise you can't even bring in thunder in the same conversation.....

I don't know... with the right riser and bushing combo you can get a very responsive, loose turn out of thunders, especially the 151s and new 149s. I put a bones med on the bottom (with washer) and leave the stock top bushing (which is soft and slim)... using the regular baseplates (non-forged) gives you a bit more height and leverage also.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yea I have bent about 3 pairs of them, but they are still the best. I agree you feel like Indy's, Thunder, Theeve don't turn for shit after riding them. I have the magnesium baseplates and they slide well on nose and tail slides. Get some
[close]

I have been riding them since they came out, I have one set on my pool board that are ground to the axle and still not bent, I weight 200 lbs and can't bend them, how did yours bend?

[close]
I haven't bent any that I've had either and I'm on my third set of 44s

Mine didn't hold up so well.  I loved them while they lasted though.  A few days ago I started noticing a weird sag from my board and I couldn't figure out what the hell it was.  I took a close look at my trucks and realized that not only did one of them look pretty bent but there is a hairline crack in the hanger that's split all the way down to the axle...

I broke the hanger on my last set of Thunders also so I might just have shit luck...

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I replaced the bushings (with Bones hards) and pivot cups (with Indy ones) in my Aces that I've had for a couple months, and even after skating a few times since then, my setup feels like shit. Super creaky and just doesn't turn right. Is it just the bushings or do pivot cups have to be broken in too? Usually Bones bushings don't take this long to break in so I'm not sure what to do other than just ride it out.
Any tips?
[close]
It might be that the Bones Hard bushings are too hard. I've ridden Ace with hard on the bottom and medium on top and that worked well. Are you using washers on the bushings?
They probably are too hard. Put 20-30 hours on the bushings and put my old pivot cups back in and it still doesn't feel right. I have washers on top, none on bottom. I'm going to see if I still have the stock Ace bushings to put back in...

edit: just put brand new Ace bushings in, just turning the truck with my hand feels 10x better.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:57:01 PM by sweat stains »
damn those yarys bout those squats

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yea I have bent about 3 pairs of them, but they are still the best. I agree you feel like Indy's, Thunder, Theeve don't turn for shit after riding them. I have the magnesium baseplates and they slide well on nose and tail slides. Get some
[close]

I have been riding them since they came out, I have one set on my pool board that are ground to the axle and still not bent, I weight 200 lbs and can't bend them, how did yours bend?

[close]
I haven't bent any that I've had either and I'm on my third set of 44s

[close]

Mine didn't hold up so well.  I loved them while they lasted though.  A few days ago I started noticing a weird sag from my board and I couldn't figure out what the hell it was.  I took a close look at my trucks and realized that not only did one of them look pretty bent but there is a hairline crack in the hanger that's split all the way down to the axle...

I broke the hanger on my last set of Thunders also so I might just have shit luck...

sheeeeeit

tanginacat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2014, 01:13:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any tips?
[close]
[close]
They probably are too hard. Put 20-30 hours on the bushings and put my old pivot cups back in and it still doesn't feel right. I have washers on top, none on bottom. I'm going to see if I still have the stock Ace bushings to put back in...

edit: just put brand new Ace bushings in, just turning the truck with my hand feels 10x better.
this is happening in my koston 149's with bones med i think bones dont fuck with barrel type trucks just my 2 cents tho.

Conan

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »
Whats the sizing on the trucks? Is it"
03/33 8 inch, 44 8.5 inch, 55 9 inch, 66 9.5 inch?

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
Whats the sizing on the trucks? Is it"
03/33 8 inch, 44 8.5 inch, 55 9 inch, 66 9.5 inch?

I know the 44 is like 8.25, the 55 is 8.875, and 66 is 9.25. Not sure on the 33, I wanna say it's like 7.9 or something.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2014, 03:24:56 AM »
Man... when the fuck is this creaky pivot cup gonna shut the fuck up?!

Only plus side is it makes it tougher to hear my old man knees.