Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738887 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #690 on: December 21, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bought and broke in the 44's with new sets of pivot cups in them. Used to be a die hard Indy fan, now Ace is where it's at. Going to give these bushings a bit longer and then I'll try the Krux replacements. If they ever restock or re-release them, the mag plates would be sick!
[close]
the krux bushings are a  game changer fasho
[close]

Just tried the Krux cushions and they're super loose. The carve is so much deeper than the stock I almost get wheel bite. Really different but very nice, I'll just have to get used to it...

If it's too loose or squirrelly for your liking, the bones medium are a nice alternative that still maintains the excellent turn without being thaaaat loose.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #691 on: December 21, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
I'm running soft (green) mini logos in my 44s, very nice, probably on par with the krux.

Also, from ACE via a month old FB post asking if we'll ever see mag plates again...still, there's hope for something! Hollows? Forged?

" it does not seem likely but we will develop another lightweeight technology in the future. Thanks for your interest in Ace."

Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #692 on: December 22, 2017, 01:09:44 AM »
I'm running soft (green) mini logos in my 44s, very nice, probably on par with the krux.

Also, from ACE via a month old FB post asking if we'll ever see mag plates again...still, there's hope for something! Hollows? Forged?

" it does not seem likely but we will develop another lightweeight technology in the future. Thanks for your interest in Ace."

If they make the same beefed up hanger with a hollow axel, hollow kingpin mag plate with a raw finish, new updated/improved stock bushing and pivot cup, it would be the hands down best truck on the market.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #693 on: December 22, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
Has anyone tried the new design yet to compare/contrast to the older design? I rode an older model 33 and they were great but the axle nuts kept loosening and popping off, causing me to slam and then search for the lock nuts, so I traded them in for Indys. The Indys are great but feel so tight and un-flowy now.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #694 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:28 AM »
Weird, I never had axle nut issues on any model.or stage.

SJ

« Reply #695 on: December 22, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
Has anyone tried the new design yet to compare/contrast to the older design? I rode an older model 33 and they were great but the axle nuts kept loosening and popping off, causing me to slam and then search for the lock nuts, so I traded them in for Indys. The Indys are great but feel so tight and un-flowy now.

Those axle nuts are the 38 specials and they're fucking garbage. Just switch out the nuts and you'll be good.

Diocletian

« Reply #696 on: December 22, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Sorry if I’ve already asked this question, but since I’ve already broken baseplates at the pivot point in my Ace’s from slappies, does anyone who’s used the magnesium baseplates or knows about metal strength know if the chances would be higher of them breaking compared to cast aluminum baseplates?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #697 on: December 22, 2017, 11:24:09 PM »
Sorry if I’ve already asked this question, but since I’ve already broken baseplates at the pivot point in my Ace’s from slappies, does anyone who’s used the magnesium baseplates or knows about metal strength know if the chances would be higher of them breaking compared to cast aluminum baseplates?
mag plates will break easier.  one of the reasons that ace stopped making them is because they would often crack in transit

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #698 on: December 22, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »
Saw this guy on the threads a while ago and he showed up on the related videos and I figured why not post it here
P.S. He's on to us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeWp3VJn7tE

Fun fact. This is ted degros brother.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #699 on: December 23, 2017, 04:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bought and broke in the 44's with new sets of pivot cups in them. Used to be a die hard Indy fan, now Ace is where it's at. Going to give these bushings a bit longer and then I'll try the Krux replacements. If they ever restock or re-release them, the mag plates would be sick!
[close]
the krux bushings are a  game changer fasho
[close]

Just tried the Krux cushions and they're super loose. The carve is so much deeper than the stock I almost get wheel bite. Really different but very nice, I'll just have to get used to it...
Krux are nice right off the bat but the stock bushings are amazing once you break them in. They just take forever to break in.

Diocletian

« Reply #700 on: December 23, 2017, 07:46:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
mag plates will break easier.  one of the reasons that ace stopped making them is because they would often crack in transit

Dang! That’s a bummer. Wish they’d make a forged plate already...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #701 on: December 24, 2017, 05:40:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If they make the same beefed up hanger with a hollow axel, hollow kingpin mag plate with a raw finish, new updated/improved stock bushing and pivot cup, it would be the hands down best truck on the market.

For some reason I like that they only have the real boy shit and that's what you have to ride, no hollow light shiny zumiez kid gear.

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #702 on: December 25, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For some reason I like that they only have the real boy shit and that's what you have to ride, no hollow light shiny zumiez kid gear.

That extra weight savings tho

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #703 on: December 25, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »
I got some Krux Downlow allenhead kingpins and the white 92a bushings. I did both set, 44's and 55's. The bushings came with pivot cups, which Ive already had replaced the 44's twice now. They were a little tall, so I took a razor and trimmed them flush. JB welded the kingpin nut in the baseplate and let sit overnight. IT had just enough bite to get the trucks back together without having to shave the bushings. I did add a bit of loc-tite to the threads just for a bit of assurance. Skated the next day. Still loose, but way more stable and my front truck isnt flopping around anymore. Hope I'll get a bit more life outta these trucks. Pool coping blasted through the knuckles and Smiths lock in without that crazy nut scrape. Ledge and curb tricks felt the same too. The 55's came out great too, but I really dont skate that set up much, so I need to break them in a bit better.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:17:36 PM by Thrash-trash »

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #704 on: December 29, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
Just got some new 44s. Can confirm they now come with softer stock bushings. Not tried yet but these might save the aftermarket Krux dilemma...

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #705 on: December 30, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
I picked up my first pair of Aces during Pitcrew's final sale.  They're 55s and appear to be the older slimmer model; I got them for an 8.88 Heroin Shovel Egg shape.  I purchased some of those Krux after market bushings because I read that they would make them nice and loose.  I wanted to know if it would work to run those Krux bushings in ACE 55s without the bottom washer, I have always removed the bottom washer in my Indies as a force of habit.  I am also wondering if it would be worth it to replace the pivot cup in the ACEs with the pivot cups that come with the Krux bushings right away or if I should wait until the stock pivot cups blow out?  Sorry if the answers to some of these questions are further back in the thread, I couldn't find them. 

SJ

« Reply #706 on: December 30, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »
I picked up my first pair of Aces during Pitcrew's final sale.  They're 55s and appear to be the older slimmer model; I got them for an 8.88 Heroin Shovel Egg shape.  I purchased some of those Krux after market bushings because I read that they would make them nice and loose.  I wanted to know if it would work to run those Krux bushings in ACE 55s without the bottom washer, I have always removed the bottom washer in my Indies as a force of habit.  I am also wondering if it would be worth it to replace the pivot cup in the ACEs with the pivot cups that come with the Krux bushings right away or if I should wait until the stock pivot cups blow out?  Sorry if the answers to some of these questions are further back in the thread, I couldn't find them.

I don't recommend to take off any washers when you keep the stock bottom bushing and add a krux top bushing, you'll have a lil extra kingpin to loosen to your liking anyway. Also the krux pivot cups won't fit in ACEs, the stocks will blow out quick. If you're going to replace the pivot cups buy Khiro small softs they're the best for ACE

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #707 on: December 30, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
So I should leave the bottom bushing stock and only use the Krux bushing on top?  I was planning on using the Krux bushings for all four bushings. 

SJ

« Reply #708 on: December 30, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
So I should leave the bottom bushing stock and only use the Krux bushing on top?  I was planning on using the Krux bushings for all four bushings.

Yes stock bottom, krux top. The Krux bottoms are shorter than the stock aces and will feel all fucked up when you skate it. Using the stock bottom bushing will keep the trucks geometry the same.

Thrash-trash

« Reply #709 on: December 30, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't recommend to take off any washers when you keep the stock bottom bushing and add a krux top bushing, you'll have a lil extra kingpin to loosen to your liking anyway. Also the krux pivot cups won't fit in ACEs, the stocks will blow out quick. If you're going to replace the pivot cups buy Khiro small softs they're the best for ACE

I just redid my 44's and 55's with Krux kingpins, bushings and pivot cups. I have them both skating back to how they were, but just not all floppy. Way more stable, but still nice and loose. I dont really feel much difference in the geometry or turning performance. The Krux pivot cups def aren't shaped the same as Ace stocks, but I made them work. Tapped them down and trimmed of the top. The 44's needed it, so I did the 55's at the same time.

I posted a before and after on the previous page with some photos...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #710 on: December 30, 2017, 07:46:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just redid my 44's and 55's with Krux kingpins, bushings and pivot cups. I have them both skating back to how they were, but just not all floppy. Way more stable, but still nice and loose. I dont really feel much difference in the geometry or turning performance. The Krux pivot cups def aren't shaped the same as Ace stocks, but I made them work. Tapped them down and trimmed of the top. The 44's needed it, so I did the 55's at the same time.

Can you post a pic of what the trimmed krux pivot cup looks like in the truck? I have some, not sure if it's worth the effort putting them in, does it make a difference?

Thrash-trash

« Reply #711 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Can you post a pic of what the trimmed krux pivot cup looks like in the truck? I have some, not sure if it's worth the effort putting them in, does it make a difference?

Thrash-trash

« Reply #712 on: December 31, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The whole process was just an evening in the garage with a few beers. Pretty easy. I think the trucks are pretty much the same as before, but way more stable.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #713 on: January 04, 2018, 03:55:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'f you're fitting to get wild get the riptide pivot cups. They are fucking orgasmic. I've got them in my 44's and 66's. They make turns so much more buttery I was seriously surprised. But I've also trimmed down the kruk pivot cups by sanding them down on some grip of an old board and it took fucking forever, but they were still pretty good.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #714 on: January 04, 2018, 05:02:33 AM »
Krux pivot cup were soft enough but too tight for Aces in my opinion.
I skated them a few weeks but got back to stock Ace pivot cup.

I like wobbling trucks...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #715 on: January 04, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes stock bottom, krux top. The Krux bottoms are shorter than the stock aces and will feel all fucked up when you skate it. Using the stock bottom bushing will keep the trucks geometry the same.

I know we geek out on this shit but most of the time you see the ACE pilots they're either running stock of bones!

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #716 on: January 04, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know we geek out on this shit but most of the time you see the ACE pilots they're either running stock of bones!

I never had any trouble with the stock ACE bushings!

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #717 on: January 05, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »
Latest stock bushings are even better. No more need for Krux aftermarkets.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #718 on: January 05, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I never had any trouble with the stock ACE bushings!

I find them much to hard.

animalflesh

« Reply #719 on: January 07, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »
Shortys bushings are a little too short for ACE trucks which makes for a really good wiggle + you can choose whichever duro suits you.

I ride red on the back yellow up front