Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738805 times)

OldManSkate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #810 on: March 24, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
Anybody successfully warranty their trucks without a receipt? My 44s have a loose kingpin and I don’t have the receipt anymore.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #811 on: March 24, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
Anybody successfully warranty their trucks without a receipt? My 44s have a loose kingpin and I don’t have the receipt anymore.

Hammer it out, put some epoxy in there (JB Weld for example) and hammer it back in. Use stock bushings or bushings that are the same size as the stock and it won't get loose ever again. I doubt they'd replace them even if you had a receipt.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #812 on: March 24, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
Did they lower the newer aces or have they always been 52mm? I think some sites used to claim 53.5mm height, no?

I’m sure they lowered them cause I had the previous stage and they felt so tippy like Indy’s so I sold them but this new classic stage ace 52mm is perfect for mid tall but not low

Expand Quote
Haha the madness in me has gone deeper since I got the new ace 44 and notice how good they are, I wanna try and maybe snag a set of 33 and 03 but is it worth it...

When I was falling for my indy 149 I switched down to the 139 and liked them even more then tried these aces and damn they’re amazing with this 52mm height

But the question stands, would the 33 and/or 03 work better for me since I ride 8-8.12 decks and like a quicker pop and the experience in going down with the Indy’s was better for me...

Damn the madness! But man these new aces are the bomb! Seriously learned popped bigspins and got my front shuvs back and started learning big flips
[close]

Tbh I feel very little difference between the lows and their standard height offering.

I mostly skate the lows personally.

Ahaha yeah just to quell some of the madness I’m gonna plug my 139 indy low and see how they work for me and if things are great I guess I’m gonna try those ace 03, if the low is too low I’m going in on those 33, I kinda like how the new 33 classics look too with the wings

Ahhhh man getting that perfect setup such a hassle when your getting old and can’t keep up with the kids who skate anything
yes

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #813 on: March 24, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »
Haha the madness in me has gone deeper since I got the new ace 44 and notice how good they are, I wanna try and maybe snag a set of 33 and 03 but is it worth it...

When I was falling for my indy 149 I switched down to the 139 and liked them even more then tried these aces and damn they’re amazing with this 52mm height

But the question stands, would the 33 and/or 03 work better for me since I ride 8-8.12 decks and like a quicker pop and the experience in going down with the Indy’s was better for me...

Damn the madness! But man these new aces are the bomb! Seriously learned popped bigspins and got my front shuvs back and started learning big flips

I don't think low aces make sense. They're good because of how they turn and having a low version of that compromises its biggest advantage. I find in general aces work well with a longer wheelbase board with a slightly shorter nose and tail. My friend also learnt bigflips on aces haha.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #814 on: March 24, 2018, 03:06:46 PM »
I had a set of the Ace Low 03's and hated them because of the extreme wheelbite. I was running spitfire classic 52s and the stock bushings, and even switched to some harder bushings (bones hards and some indy barrels) and that didn't help at all.

I usually don't have wheelbite issues with any other lower profile truck (thunders). However the Ace Lows were really hard to dial in and just never felt right.

On the flip side, I just got a pair of the new Ace Classic 33's with the wider Y shaped hangar, and they turn like a dream with no wheelbite.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:16:06 PM by sweet pee »

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #815 on: March 26, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anybody tried using their old bottom stock ACE bushings paired with the new tops??
[close]
I'm all for gear madness, I have it to a degree, but this is too much now.

When you start putting together trucks that you won't even be able to recreate in a year or so it's too far.

I finally settled into a "raw cast only, harder/softer bushings" mindset.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #816 on: March 26, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
I had a set of the Ace Low 03's and hated them because of the extreme wheelbite. I was running spitfire classic 52s and the stock bushings, and even switched to some harder bushings (bones hards and some indy barrels) and that didn't help at all.

I usually don't have wheelbite issues with any other lower profile truck (thunders). However the Ace Lows were really hard to dial in and just never felt right.

On the flip side, I just got a pair of the new Ace Classic 33's with the wider Y shaped hangar, and they turn like a dream with no wheelbite.

Mind posting a pic? I really wanna see what they look like now cause I’m considering getting a set cause they’re gonna be lighter than my 44 but I still love them
yes

sweet pee

« Reply #817 on: March 27, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Mind posting a pic? I really wanna see what they look like now cause I’m considering getting a set cause they’re gonna be lighter than my 44 but I still love them

Yeah, the new Ace Classic 33's hangars are beefier than the old ones. The baseplates are the same though.

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #818 on: March 27, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, the new Ace Classic 33's hangars are beefier than the old ones. The baseplates are the same though.

That's a tempting photo. You planning on keeping the bushings/pivot cups stock?

sweet pee

« Reply #819 on: March 27, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »
The stock Ace pivot cups are still trash, so I swapped them out with some Khiro softs.

However, the new Ace bushings are a vast improvement over the old ones. The urethane seems of a higher quality with better rebound.

These already feel broken in and comfortable. Kinda like they skipped the awkward new truck phase.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #820 on: March 27, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nice! Thanks for the post! Last favor, could you compare the hangar/axle length to another 8” truck you have and tell me if the 33 are exactly an 8 or 7.8?

Cause I just got my 03 and turns out even though branded 03/33 as an 8” these are actually 7.8 and I’m wondering are the 33 also 7.8
yes

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #821 on: March 27, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice! Thanks for the post! Last favor, could you compare the hangar/axle length to another 8” truck you have and tell me if the 33 are exactly an 8 or 7.8?

Cause I just got my 03 and turns out even though branded 03/33 as an 8” these are actually 7.8 and I’m wondering are the 33 also 7.8
Lock ins are the worst. Because they are asymmetrical they aren’t balanced properly. More wheel material outside of the bearing on one side than the other, makes them wear your inner bearings faster and also makes them slightly pull inwards, sort of like driving a car without balanced tires. Also slows you down. You’ll definitely notice what I mean if you think about it and pay attention.

sweet pee

« Reply #822 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
This is my first set of Lock-Ins, so I will def keep that in consideration. I know the outer edge of the wheel sticks out a bit. However the bearing seats have the same depth and appear centered, so it may not be much of an issue. I also don't mind riding them with the flat side out if they start coning later on. If my bearings explode, I'll report back...

Oh, and I put my trucks up against a pair of Thunder 147's and the Aces look a little shorter, which makes me think they are under 8". (Not by much though)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #823 on: March 28, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »
Lock ins are the worst. Because they are asymmetrical they aren’t balanced properly. More wheel material outside of the bearing on one side than the other, makes them wear your inner bearings faster and also makes them slightly pull inwards, sort of like driving a car without balanced tires. Also slows you down. You’ll definitely notice what I mean if you think about it and pay attention.

Looks pretty balanced to me, would you rather the seat be centered under the riding surface?

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #824 on: March 28, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks pretty balanced to me, would you rather the seat be centered under the riding surface?
Naw I’m just fucking around with everyone’s gear madness dropping misinformation, I pulled that shit out of my ass. I thought it was robs setup with the lock-ins. I am full of shit.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:24:17 AM by RumpelFoarskin »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #825 on: March 28, 2018, 07:46:11 PM »
This is my first set of Lock-Ins, so I will def keep that in consideration. I know the outer edge of the wheel sticks out a bit. However the bearing seats have the same depth and appear centered, so it may not be much of an issue. I also don't mind riding them with the flat side out if they start coning later on. If my bearings explode, I'll report back...

Oh, and I put my trucks up against a pair of Thunder 147's and the Aces look a little shorter, which makes me think they are under 8". (Not by much though)

Thanks, you saved me some money

I’m kinda iffy about my trucks being too small cause even though it does, I get the feeling I won’t get enough truck to grind on things even though Luan and other size 8 truck riders are ripping
yes

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #826 on: March 30, 2018, 06:00:27 PM »
Set up a new board and cleaned up the bushings and pivot cups on the trucks while I was at it as they were squealing and creaking like a hoard of banshees with every turn.  Rubbed a little wax to the pivot nipple (?) and the tops (Bones yellow) and bottoms (Ace)of the bushings - st  Everything feels way better since - fast, snappy, true and silent.

Mongoloid

« Reply #827 on: April 01, 2018, 08:01:49 PM »
I’ve got a strange curiousity about trying 44’s on an 8” deck. I mean I ride 03’s on 8-8.25” no issue, but I feel like maybe the wider axle will have some benefits I might not get from the 03/33’s.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #828 on: April 01, 2018, 11:01:13 PM »
I’ve got a strange curiousity about trying 44’s on an 8” deck. I mean I ride 03’s on 8-8.25” no issue, but I feel like maybe the wider axle will have some benefits I might not get from the 03/33’s.

That’s what I’ve been rocking, it’s a little hefty but it feels solid

I’m not really into riding my trucks a tad slimmer than 8 cause I’m a kook who can feel the tippy magic carpet with 7.8/7.6 trucks on an 8 ish deck
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #829 on: April 01, 2018, 11:26:35 PM »
Guys......that's kinda gross.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #830 on: April 02, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »
Yeah just don't run any washers on the inside and you'll be good. My friend has them on 8.12s and it looks perfectly flush, I doubt an 8 would be much different.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #831 on: April 04, 2018, 04:37:13 AM »
Tried all-stock on the new 44.
The first session was horrible, but now it's perfect.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Shuh

« Reply #832 on: April 04, 2018, 05:48:56 AM »
Alright someone convince me, I currently ride thunder 149 team, bones bushings soft tell me why I should switch to Ace 44?

Mongoloid

« Reply #833 on: April 04, 2018, 06:20:29 AM »
Alright someone convince me, I currently ride thunder 149 team, bones bushings soft tell me why I should switch to Ace 44?

Ace’s have a more organic feel to the way they function, they bend to your whim if that makes any sense. It feels more like you are connected to your setup, and it is an extension of your body.

They are that reactionary and precise. Thunders turn beautifully, and tight, but I still feel they are slightly limited. I also personally get vicious wheelbite with thunders (although I do love them as well).

Shuh

« Reply #834 on: April 04, 2018, 06:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace’s have a more organic feel to the way they function, they bend to your whim if that makes any sense. It feels more like you are connected to your setup, and it is an extension of your body.

They are that reactionary and precise. Thunders turn beautifully, and tight, but I still feel they are slightly limited. I also personally get vicious wheelbite with thunders (although I do love them as well).

Yeah I get that with thunders, do I need to change bushings thou? I like riding loose

Mongoloid

« Reply #835 on: April 04, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »
No real need to change bushings to be perfectly honest. I personally do just because I like a specific durometer, but it’s entirely unnecessary.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #836 on: April 04, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I get that with thunders, do I need to change bushings thou? I like riding loose

Breaking in takes a while but after that you'll be golden. This was the case with the old trucks at least. Dunno personally if anything changed with the new refresh. Someone else might be able to comment on that.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #837 on: April 04, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Breaking in takes a while but after that you'll be golden. This was the case with the old trucks at least. Dunno personally if anything changed with the new refresh. Someone else might be able to comment on that.

The Ace trucks branded as "Classic" are essentially the same V2 trucks with new bushings.  The bottom bushing is now softer and feels perfectly broken in on the first session. 

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #838 on: April 05, 2018, 03:31:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just swapped from thunders to aces, but aside from the reduced wheelbite there are too many other variables I changed up to be comparing apples with apples (all round 1/4 inch larger setup). They do seem to have a wider turning arc. I kept the bushings stock but had to wind the nuts until the nylon was almost off the kingpin thread before I got them what I would consider loose

Dr.Össler

• Rep: 0
« Reply #839 on: April 10, 2018, 07:57:39 PM »
I did it, Yeah :) After reading the entire 29 pages (starting Nov 2010 ... thanks to formeitscrazylike who started this... till now) for the last 5 days ... I am in ;) I love riding pools and in Austria we don't get ACE Trucks in the shop. I got completely hooked on them :)

Just a short summary for people who don't have the passion or time to read all this: For my 8,75" Board the best would be the new 55 (no 44!?! ... they call them classics?! ...from late 2017?! ... how do I now if they are really the new ones if I by them online?) with pivot cups from riptide (is there a special size which fits best?) or Khiro (small and soft) and bushings from Krux (do I still need the the bushings and pivot cups for the new ACE´s?).

Would give the OJ Plain Jane Keyframe II 87a 54mm a try (are they any good? POWELL PERALTA G-SLIDES 56mm 85A I think they are to wide... like soft wheels, Ricta Clouds 55mm 86A are the shit ... love them ;) )

By the way the question about the new stock bushing set up by ACE ,if it should not the other way around (hard for bottom, soft on top), was never answered? Any news on this one guys?

So I am ready to roll and to order. Thought about ordering it from Tactics. They ship for free in the US and a friend of mine can bring me the stuff in 3 weeks to Austria. Only thing is that Tactics don't have riptide pivot cups. Any other online shop, you guys can recommend, which should have all the stuff in stock?

Thanks a lot and I really enjoyed the discussion ;) To be continued :)