Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738910 times)

Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #840 on: April 10, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
The hard tops offer fast small adjustment rebound with the carve-surfy like softness of the barrel. It would make sense for the top to be softer. I have the Venom SHR conical street bushings and the bottom cone is the exact length compared to stock barrel, with tops being slightly smaller. Having a flat washer both on top and bottom offer non restrictive, super loose but responsive turn.
Highly suggest the combo. Very close to the new stocks but very different feel.
SoCal skate has venoms stocked too...

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #841 on: April 10, 2018, 09:02:00 PM »
had a great session on them today.  With the new bushings they're officially my favorite trucks that I've ever skated.  absolute turning bliss

SJ

« Reply #842 on: April 11, 2018, 12:55:43 AM »
The new bushings, while better than the old bushings, don't get loose enough for me even with the kingpin nut finger tight. So I switched back to Krux tops and don't regret it one bit it just feels so right...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #843 on: April 11, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »
After digging around on the net for discussions on hard bottoms/soft tops and vice versa, my theory crafting and personal experience with mix/matching bushings...I've only come up with:

Soft bottoms w/a hard top:
Soft Bottoms provide a surfy feel (fast compression of the hanger resulting in a quick turn) and harder tops provide a quicker rebound/snap to center.

Soft Bottoms would logically be less stable on center.

Hard bottoms w/a soft top:
Hard bottoms provide a slower compression of the hanger thereby a slower longer turn/carve (more weight/leverage is needed over time) and soft tops equate to slower rebound/snap to center...

Hard Bottoms would logically be more stable on center.

Random shit:

Every soft top below 85a (that wasn't insert style ala Bones or Khiro) paired with a harder bottom I've fucking destroyed with how loose I ride (tho even the 73 white, Red and yellow tops Khiro inserts got mangled in my ACES)..

I need my trucks loose, even on center, loose trucks is how I 'get' to center as odd as that may be (most people can't roll a couple of feet without falling off my ride or getting wheel bite.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #844 on: April 12, 2018, 07:05:16 AM »
I just ordered some of the new bushings off the Ace site.  Weather here has been pretty terrible.  In addition to that, I have a pretty big gig backing up a songwriter at a State Theater, so I told myself I wouldn't skate until after that show, which is this Saturday.  Looking forward to checking them out and skating again.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #845 on: April 12, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
Yesterday I threw in some 84a barrels on a flat washer and an 88a top (closest I could get to the ACE duros, and they different urethane so there's that), tried a 90a top and with was too stiff, 88a was much better.

Overall, it was tighter than what I normally ride (been rocking bones softs/85a all around in Theeve and Indy of late), more stable on center and has sort of a smooth looseness too them, tho that just might be the turn rather than the bushings....at 170lbs, the bones softs are super loose, unstable, wheelbite prone and difficult to keep on center for anyone riding my board other than me :)

That said, they were sort of comfy but again, that just might be the feel of ACES vs. the rest.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:04:58 PM by Xen »

Not Local

« Reply #846 on: April 12, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »
The new stock bushings seem to help reduce wheelbite also. I've been riding 55mm wheels, no risers and kingpin nut flush with kingpin on a 8.5" board and 44s with no significant wheel bite issues and I'm 200lbs.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #847 on: April 12, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
If anyone tries out the new ACE bushings and doesn't like them I'll take them off your hands!

jamersonbass

« Reply #848 on: April 12, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
If anyone tries out the new ACE bushings and doesn't like them I'll take them off your hands!

This is encouraging.  I live in central MI and have gained 10 pounds over the last winter...  I'm sitting around 195 these days and thought that the previous Ace bushings got a hair too soft once broken in.  Psyched to try them out. 

Xen, if these don't work out I'll send them your way.  Trying these to exhaust the urge to go back to Indy's w/ aftermarket Indy bushings. 

BMCsteve

« Reply #849 on: April 13, 2018, 04:16:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is encouraging.  I live in central MI and have gained 10 pounds over the last winter...  I'm sitting around 195 these days and thought that the previous Ace bushings got a hair too soft once broken in.  Psyched to try them out. 

Xen, if these don't work out I'll send them your way.  Trying these to exhaust the urge to go back to Indy's w/ aftermarket Indy bushings.

Just a heads up on my experience with them this week.  They immediately feel broken in but like most bushings it takes around 3 sessions for them to settle in so the rebound is there.  After that, you're golden

jamersonbass

« Reply #850 on: April 13, 2018, 06:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just a heads up on my experience with them this week.  They immediately feel broken in but like most bushings it takes around 3 sessions for them to settle in so the rebound is there.  After that, you're golden

Good to know.

seb

• Rep: 43
« Reply #851 on: April 13, 2018, 01:25:35 PM »
I did it, Yeah :) ... To be continued :)

Just a heads up - if you don't mind ordering from them, both titus and blue tomato stock ace.

edit: got the new aces and they feel heavier (due to the hanger being thicker) but more solid. And the new stock bushings are amazing! It took me forever to break in the old ones, but the new ones felt good right away and broken in after two days skating.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:28:31 PM by seb »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #852 on: April 14, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
Meanwhile, shredders like McClain and Stranger throw Bones and call it a day...

Daniel

« Reply #853 on: April 15, 2018, 02:53:12 AM »

I feel like once someone's at that level of skating, they can practically skate any setup without any serious madness.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #854 on: April 15, 2018, 04:42:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like once someone's at that level of skating, they can practically skate any setup without any serious madness.

Sure, but they choose bones for a reason, McClain is obvious, as I'm sure they float him some in his monthly box of product.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #855 on: April 16, 2018, 04:29:13 AM »
Been loving my new Set of 44's & 55's. the bushings are heaven. the truck's pivot cup is much more durable than previous iterations. Normally i'd blow thru the pivot cup within one session. but now it has lasted much longer than that and going thru almost a month and half.

jamersonbass

« Reply #856 on: April 17, 2018, 03:49:39 PM »
Has anyone ordered from Ace's site directly before?  I placed an order 5 days ago and haven't gotten a shipping notification.  Is Nicky Diamonds too busy doing it "for the 'gram" to catch up on orders?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #857 on: April 17, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »
I think they have a whole new team of dudes doing shipping and organizing now, maybe hit them up ?

jamersonbass

« Reply #858 on: April 17, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
I think they have a whole new team of dudes doing shipping and organizing now, maybe hit them up ?

I shot them an email shortly after this post.  No word yet, but I wouldn't have opted for upgraded USPS had I known.  Where I live we had a fucking ice storm over the weekend for 3 days straight and more snow accumulation, so it's not like I'll be able to skate until this weekend at the VERY, very earliest.  Itching to try them and hate shitty customer service.

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #859 on: April 17, 2018, 06:46:55 PM »
Had a couple of beverages and ordered some Ace 66's for a cruiser I'm setting up. Did I fuck up going for 66's on a 9.25?
I ordered some keyframes too so if they stick out all crazy like I can put them on another skinny cruiser I have

IHOP

« Reply #860 on: April 17, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »
yo 30 pages is a lot, I skate thunders now and they just dont feel high enough, wheel bite, breaking, etc.  I mostly skate street and skate my trucks a little on the tighter side.  I like the quick turning of thunders wile still having control would aces compare? or are they pretty loosey goosey. 

I have never been happy with a truck and I feel if i keep trying to find the perfect truck my madness will go through the roof instead of just learning to be fine with indy or thunder.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #861 on: April 17, 2018, 09:54:16 PM »
yo 30 pages is a lot, I skate thunders now and they just dont feel high enough, wheel bite, breaking, etc.  I mostly skate street and skate my trucks a little on the tighter side.  I like the quick turning of thunders wile still having control would aces compare? or are they pretty loosey goosey. 

I have never been happy with a truck and I feel if i keep trying to find the perfect truck my madness will go through the roof instead of just learning to be fine with indy or thunder.

Though Aces are often skated loose, I skated mine tight for a while and found them to be quite good too. A few of my friends skate tech ledge shit on their 7.75s and Ace 33s tight and they seem to find it fine too. Going from Thunders my only concern would be the fact that they shrink your wheelbase quite a lot and that might throw you off a bit, or it could be completely fine.

IHOP

« Reply #862 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Though Aces are often skated loose, I skated mine tight for a while and found them to be quite good too. A few of my friends skate tech ledge shit on their 7.75s and Ace 33s tight and they seem to find it fine too. Going from Thunders my only concern would be the fact that they shrink your wheelbase quite a lot and that might throw you off a bit, or it could be completely fine.

Thank you, yea that would probably bother me too much, maybe some day I'll try em out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #863 on: April 18, 2018, 11:16:04 AM »

Depending on which Thunders you skate: the 149s are 52.3mm (forged plates) +1mm for cast plates.

ACE's, if their new numbers are to be trusted are 52mm, w/cast plates....

Comparing these two trucks is the old apples and oranges scenario, they provide a completely different feel. It's discussed, at length, in these 30 plus pages:

ACE are more like Theeve/Indy than they are like Thunder/Venture. There really doesn't seem to be a perfect middle ground between the carve vs. lean camp (Perhaps that's what we're all after :P), but for me, Theeve are the closest to the best of both worlds I can find.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #864 on: April 18, 2018, 11:19:13 AM »
for me, Theeve are the closest to the best of both worlds

Daniel

« Reply #865 on: April 19, 2018, 01:20:35 AM »
404 error on the shipping info(or lack there of). Nevertheless got the package in 3 days on base non upgraded shipping!

Can attest to the quality of the new bushings. I fully back the new bushings but the pivot cups still need some improvements. After session 3 the cups were split and cracked. For optimal looseness, flat washers top and bottom did the trick.

How does one fix the loose kingpin problem?? Shits getting too rowdy down there!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #866 on: April 19, 2018, 01:58:41 AM »
404 error on the shipping info(or lack there of). Nevertheless got the package in 3 days on base non upgraded shipping!

Can attest to the quality of the new bushings. I fully back the new bushings but the pivot cups still need some improvements. After session 3 the cups were split and cracked. For optimal looseness, flat washers top and bottom did the trick.

How does one fix the loose kingpin problem?? Shits getting too rowdy down there!

• Hammer the kingpin out
  • Put some “steel epoxy” (like JB Weld) in the kingpin hole
  • Hammer the kingpin back in
  • Let it dry
  • Never worry about your kingpin getting loose again

Daniel

« Reply #867 on: April 19, 2018, 02:00:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

• Hammer the kingpin out
  • Let it dry

You're the fuckin man

BMCsteve

« Reply #868 on: April 19, 2018, 04:28:22 AM »
For everyone with pivot cup issues, if you're using the stock bushings, add a drop of speed cream, bike chain lube or armorall to the pivot cup and then put the hanger back on.  A lot of Ace pivot cups are blowing out before you can break them in.  This will help them break in quickly before they crack and then you should be good.

If you're using different bushings/washers, it changes the pivot angle and they're going to blow out no matter what.  you might even blow out the actual baseplate which I've seen with people using bones

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #869 on: April 19, 2018, 05:15:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

• Hammer the kingpin out
  • Let it dry
[close]

You're the fuckin man

Also remember to be careful not to bend the baseplate when hammering. Support it properly so that it rests on the part surrounding the kingpin hole when hammering it back in and not any other part. Aluminum is soft and can bend quite easily. Also good to use a big bolt or an extra kingpin to help you hammer the kingpin back in cuz it goes below the line of the baseplate. And when hammering the kingpin out, keep the bolt on so you won’t fuck up the threads. All in all pretty simple but there are some chances for fucking up if you just start doing and don’t think ahead.  :)