Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738798 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #990 on: August 19, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
I rode the 03 (lows) with bones hards, it worked oddly enough.

Can't ride ACE on short WBs, that's just me,even 14.25 feels too short with them.

I've a pair setup on an 14.5" WB and some thunders on a 14.25" both feel great (prefer the Thunders right now tho but that could be just the feel of the 101 spit 52 classics with dry AF swiss six)

Mongoloid

« Reply #991 on: August 19, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »

Can't ride ACE on short WBs, that's just me,even 14.25 feels too short with them.

I've a pair setup on an 14.5" WB and some thunders on a 14.25" both feel great (prefer the Thunders right now tho but that could be just the feel of the 101 spit 52 classics with dry AF swiss six)

On this note.

I noticed with the shortened wheelbase I have to position my foot more central on the board as opposed to just behind the bolts for most tricks. Something that I am not at all used to due to muscle memory.

Love my Ace trucks though!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #992 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

On this note.

I noticed with the shortened wheelbase I have to position my foot more central on the board as opposed to just behind the bolts for most tricks. Something that I am not at all used to due to muscle memory.

On shorter WB boards with ACE/Indy/Theeve I find I put my front much further up, sometimes right at the edge of the kick when skating bowls vs just behind the first set of bolts on loner WB.

Mongoloid

« Reply #993 on: August 19, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

On this note.

[close]

On shorter WB boards with ACE/Indy/Theeve I find I put my front much further up, sometimes right at the edge of the kick when skating bowls vs just behind the first set of bolts on loner WB.

that's nuts man, just goes to show how differing technique can be from one individual to another.

troy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
« Reply #994 on: August 20, 2018, 10:20:46 AM »
Just copped some second gen aces. They were a little to tight stock so I put the krux top bushing in and I am liking it so far. When those bushings crap out, what should I use to replace the bottom bushing? Will the whole krux replacement kit work?

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #995 on: August 20, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »
The stock new replacements for aces fully broken in work the best out of everything.
If you're still wanting loose, you can even buy a second set of low replacements and use the shorter top bushing from that set paired with your regular tall cylinder. Gives kind of a rattle loose feel but still stable...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:25:04 AM by Daniel »

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #996 on: August 31, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »
Does anyone skate the 33's on an 8? I feel like everyone here is on the 44 gang

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #997 on: August 31, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »

I used to skate 33's and 8" Roger boards a few years ago when they had those square PS STIX shapes and it may be my favorite kind of setup ever. If you're interested, try it, they're great.

Diocletian

« Reply #998 on: September 03, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
Anyone have any .38 specials unused? I’ve never had problems with them and I like seeing them on my axles.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #999 on: September 03, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »

I rocked some 33s, 8/8.125/8.25- worked great, can't see why they wouldn't?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1000 on: September 03, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »

Yep! I skate 33’s on 8/8.12 on both short wheel base Pennswood decks and a slightly longer wheelbase Real deck in 8.25. They work great!

I’m going to try moving up to 8.25 and possibly 8.5 wide decks so I think I’ll try ACE 44’s when I do that but for now the 33’s are great

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1001 on: September 04, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, I guess when I see some people in the setup thread riding the 44s on an 8 or 8.1, I get a lil scared ;D

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #1002 on: September 04, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haha, I guess when I see some people in the setup thread riding the 44s on an 8 or 8.1, I get a lil scared ;D

why?

hey pickle

« Reply #1003 on: September 05, 2018, 12:22:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why?

hotroddin sucks son thats why

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1004 on: September 05, 2018, 02:37:16 AM »
Been skating since forever and a day, never heard of flipping axle nuts around.

Back when indy and thunder would slip all the time Stage III+ spacers and rings to keep the nuts flush at the tip of the axle and zero play with the wheels was the only way to keep slip at bay. Probably still works.

With ACE'sQC, it's usually impossible to get three rings on each side.

bit late but responding to this, usually we flip axle nuts around when someones axle threads/nut is fucked as a temporary way to keep them skating. not pretty but it works as the nylock part gets on first.

kentrock

« Reply #1005 on: September 05, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why?
[close]

doesnt bother me what anyone else does

hey pickle

« Reply #1006 on: September 05, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why?
[close]

[close]

doesnt bother me what anyone else does

you asked son

Mongoloid

« Reply #1007 on: September 05, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
I've done 33's and 44's on 8"-8.25".

There was no real notable difference for me.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1008 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »
Just had my second sesh on the new 44s after coming off of thunder 149s
Honestly it took me longer to get used to the pop of thunders after half a lifetime on Indys
44s feel good but those bushings need to harden up sometime soon, defs fun for just cruising around though

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #1009 on: September 06, 2018, 08:07:32 AM »
Just had my second sesh on the new 44s after coming off of thunder 149s
Honestly it took me longer to get used to the pop of thunders after half a lifetime on Indys
44s feel good but those bushings need to harden up sometime soon, defs fun for just cruising around though

I felt the same way. I couldn't believe how squirrelly they felt first session, but I was coming off riding a pair of Royals that I had apparently gotten pretty used to. I  just cranked them down a bunch then slowly a re-tightened then as they loosened back up as I skated to what felt good. They definitely will harden up. It didn't take long. A few miniramp and park sessions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:09:15 AM by Ankle_Lift »

Diocletian

« Reply #1010 on: September 07, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »
I grabbed some size 33 stage II .38 specials recently and I like looking down and seeing the old classic slimmer design hanger compared to the new beefed up one. These have the really hard stock bushings but I’m just being patient with them and letting them break in. The newest design Ace’s stock bushings were a bit too soft for my liking, I got crazy wheelbite. Once these ones break in they’re the perfect balance of not too hard and not too soft.

Also, going down from size 44 to 33 isn’t a very noticeable difference, as others have said. I like having a smaller 8.125” board and these 33’s. Lighter and grinds coping and curbs just as good. I initially thought they’d end up being a bit too skinny and miss a lot of grinds but they’ve been perfect. Think I actually prefer these to 44’s now. Anyways, cheers.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1011 on: September 08, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »
i've had two sets of ace 55 break recently. they both broke in the same way, baseplate on the front truck blew out on a slappy. i ride my front truck wobbly, just like i do with any other truck, but i've never broken any trucks before in any way other than the nut wearing out. one thing i've noticed is, both trucks broke right when the pivot cup started to get a bit deformed. is this a problem with the pivot cup? if so what pivot cups actually fit ace hangers?(other than ace aftermarket and riptide) or is this a problem with the baseplate? if so will mag baseplates be any better? 

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1012 on: September 08, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
i've had two sets of ace 55 break recently. they both broke in the same way, baseplate on the front truck blew out on a slappy. i ride my front truck wobbly, just like i do with any other truck, but i've never broken any trucks before in any way other than the nut wearing out. one thing i've noticed is, both trucks broke right when the pivot cup started to get a bit deformed. is this a problem with the pivot cup? if so what pivot cups actually fit ace hangers?(other than ace aftermarket and riptide) or is this a problem with the baseplate? if so will mag baseplates be any better? 

Wow, the same thing happened to me a couple months ago. I assumed it was just a freak thing. I can't remember how the pivot cup was doing at the time.

kentrock

« Reply #1013 on: September 08, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »

what pivot cups fit ace other than ace or riptide?

I AM

« Reply #1014 on: September 08, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what pivot cups fit ace other than ace or riptide?
independent aftermarket and khiro smalls definitely don't fit. haven't tried the softs though, maybe they stretch to fit? the only ones i've tried that do fit are minilogos but they're straight up plastic. absolute garbage. does anybody know if khiro large fits? perhaps some less obscure longboard company? that or i'll try gluing the stock cups in and pouring oil.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #1015 on: September 08, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »

Ace Mag plates are prone to breaking. With that being said mine are still going fucking strong.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1016 on: September 08, 2018, 06:03:33 PM »
The top of a Khiro small pivot cup won't be flush with the baseplate like the stock one would be, but I couldn't tell if there was any problem because of that.  The trucks felt fine.

Diocletian

« Reply #1017 on: September 08, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
I’ve broken three Ace baseplates at that exact same spot on different sets of stage 2’s. All from slappies. Had nothing to do with pivot cups either. Was always running riptides and they’re not thin or weak.

I recommend just getting the newest designs. I have a set of 44’s with no top bushing and have beat the living shit out of them. No issues with kingpins coming loose, pivots ripping, or baseplates breaking. Their new stock pivot cups are fine. Riptides are the only other ones that fit properly, as far as I know.

I AM

« Reply #1018 on: September 08, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace Mag plates are prone to breaking. With that being said mine are still going fucking strong.
do you mean in a qc sense or are the mags weaker in general?

I AM

« Reply #1019 on: September 08, 2018, 08:55:25 PM »
I’ve broken three Ace baseplates at that exact same spot on different sets of stage 2’s. All from slappies. Had nothing to do with pivot cups either. Was always running riptides and they’re not thin or weak.

I recommend just getting the newest designs. I have a set of 44’s with no top bushing and have beat the living shit out of them. No issues with kingpins coming loose, pivots ripping, or baseplates breaking. Their new stock pivot cups are fine. Riptides are the only other ones that fit properly, as far as I know.
what's the difference with stage 2 and the newest ones? both of mine had the redesign hanger and softer stock bottom bushings.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:58:28 PM by I AM »