Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748012 times)

Octobre Rouge.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
  • Black metal and ledge skating
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1080 on: December 27, 2018, 01:34:50 AM »
What the fuck more do you want from a year of skated trucks. These things aren’t bulletproof

Damn, i'm skating 20 hours a week, and after 9 months of waxed ledges, my Indys are far from being ground down.

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #1081 on: December 27, 2018, 06:37:19 AM »
Expand Quote
What the fuck more do you want from a year of skated trucks. These things aren’t bulletproof
[close]

Damn, i'm skating 20 hours a week, and after 9 months of waxed ledges, my Indys are far from being ground down.
His issue isn't grinding them down it's axle slip which is way more common. Indy's are the highest quality so it isn't surprising but waxed ledges and you got 60 more hours to go for a year. Maybe you develop axle slip in that timespan? Maybe Indy's really are WW2 vets and aces are millenials retiring due to workplace anxiety at 45 I dunno you could be right but we also don't know the mission specifics. It could've been a really really stressfull career for them meanwhile your Indy's got paid paternity leave and the office had a nutritionist wow good for them enjoy the pension and carefree old age.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:39:56 AM by CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime »

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #1082 on: December 27, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »
I’ve had three sets of Aces and all of them have got axle slip just after a year. I’ve never had axle slip on any other trucks. Yet I keep buying them...

Indies used to last me at least 2 years before something went wrong. I haven’t tried the new Aces (v3?) yet, hopefully they will hold up a little longer.

They will. They are just a little bit heavier but still turn great and grind better.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1083 on: December 28, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »
Just set up some ace 55's, damn they feel good.
I put indy medium/hard blue bushings in.
I also put a small bones top washer under the bottom bushing to fill in the space because the stock ace bushings are slightly thicker.

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #1084 on: December 29, 2018, 04:21:51 AM »
Damn, sucks to hear that even the newer aces are axle slipping.. Aces are the ONLY trucks I've ever had an axle slip on and I always skate my trucks for over a year. I really want to buy another pair, as they are imo the best turning and looking trucks on the market, but I refuse to deal with axle slip again. Had it on both trucks. Slipped damn near every time I didn't land a trick. Infuriating

somedudefromnj

« Reply #1085 on: December 29, 2018, 03:31:02 PM »
this may seem like a dumb question but

whats an axle slip??

Just picked up the 44 and theyre my first pair of aces and they turn amazing straight off the shelves. Feel like ive been missing out, but u guys are worrying me with the bent truck and axle slip comments

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #1086 on: December 29, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »

whats an axle slip??

Just picked up the 44 and theyre my first pair of aces and they turn amazing straight off the shelves. Feel like ive been missing out, but u guys are worrying me with the bent truck and axle slip comments

Axle slip is when the axle shifts inside the hanger causing it to be off center.  It usually happens (but not always) when you do a lot of flip tricks and the board lands primo shifting the axle inside the hanger. A sign will be that one wheel would stop and you'd have to loosen your nut or pound it back the other way to get the wheel to spin again.  Back in the day when my friends and I had shifting axles we'd pound it with a hammer so the axle would be totally floating so you wouldn't have to pound them back.  I don't flip my board so much anymore so it doesn't happen to me much anymore.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1087 on: December 30, 2018, 03:09:11 AM »
Expand Quote

whats an axle slip??

[close]

Axle slip is when the axle shifts inside the hanger causing it to be off center.  It usually happens (but not always) when you do a lot of flip tricks and the board lands primo shifting the axle inside the hanger. A sign will be that one wheel would stop and you'd have to loosen your nut or pound it back the other way to get the wheel to spin again.  Back in the day when my friends and I had shifting axles we'd pound it with a hammer so the axle would be totally floating so you wouldn't have to pound them back.  I don't flip my board so much anymore so it doesn't happen to me much anymore.

I can’t flip my board for shit, looks like I’m safe.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1088 on: December 31, 2018, 01:46:06 AM »
Me & my friend bought ace 44’s like a month ago, I saved mine till summer cuz I hate breaking in new trucks indoors but he set them up straight away and now his front truck is already bent... I thought ace fixed that problem? Dude is like 65kg/145lbs and I weight a lot more 😬😬
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1089 on: December 31, 2018, 04:51:27 AM »
Me & my friend bought ace 44’s like a month ago, I saved mine till summer cuz I hate breaking in new trucks indoors but he set them up straight away and now his front truck is already bent... I thought ace fixed that problem? Dude is like 65kg/145lbs and I weight a lot more 😬😬
I’ve got a set of the new 44s and they seem really sturdy to me, break in time was minimal too💪🏼 I guess they suffer from bad QC harder than the other big 3 though and that’s why you always hear bad tings about them...
Hope you got a good set, they’re really fun to ride!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1090 on: January 20, 2019, 01:23:47 AM »
Awesome, I hope they bring the 3/8s back

Diocletian

« Reply #1091 on: January 20, 2019, 03:39:40 AM »
Where did you get that information from?

Diocletian

« Reply #1092 on: January 20, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »
Seems like they didn’t think things through, if this is even true. They made new molds to pour the hangers (size 33 and up since they had to make new beefier ones), only to have to create new molds within roughly a year for sizes 33 and down?

Also, I always thought the 00-66 was a shortened version of the hanger width (144, 155, 166, etc). So it wouldn’t make sense to make the 44’s 8” wide because then that number would have no correlation whatsoever. ???

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1093 on: January 20, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
Just quoting to bring this info to the new page.

Expand Quote
Heard some interesting news about Ace today.

Apparently their next version (V4?) is going have
the ‘bulkier’ design on all their sizes. Here’s where it gets interesting... 44s will be exactly 8 inches and 55s will be exactly 8.5 inches. Not sure what’s happening to the other sizes, I think they’re keeping the rest the same. There will be no 8.25 truck.

They’ve done their first run under their new distro/factory so some more changes are coming. Those axle nuts without the nylon will be back if they can sort something out with the new factory.
[close]

Expand Quote
Where did you get that information from?
[close]

From some shops in the North West.

Interesting. I like aces quite a bit. The QC things didn’t really bother me a lot. I don’t expect skateboard stuff to last a lifetime, nor be ‘perfect’ for anything. I liked their first design the most. And the ‘odd’ sizes were actually pretty smart. I do think it’s fucking hilarious that people would cry so much about the 44’s not being 8.5 (worked fine with washers), found them to work on a wide range of sizes.

Diocletian

« Reply #1094 on: January 20, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
They have big names. Stranger, Blender, Cardiel was on them low-key but looks like he went back to skating some old pair of Dressen Indy’s. Lots of well-known new generation skaters on the team. They’re well established and definitely made it into a “big 4”, but they still don’t have the quality control like the other 3.

Mongoloid

« Reply #1095 on: January 20, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »
Well... it looks like I’ll have to pick up a couple extra sets of the current 44’s.

It would have been great if they did exact sizes from the start, but changing it up now definitely eats ass.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1096 on: January 20, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
ive heard something like this but it will be:
33 = 8
44 = 8.25
55 = 8.5
66 = 8.75
77 = 9

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1097 on: January 20, 2019, 10:14:50 PM »
33 = 8
44 = 8.25
55 = 8.5
66 = 8.75
77 = 9

Makes sense. I guess I kinda liked the weirdness before but whatever. And I did genuinely enjoy the lamenting about there not being a size between the 44 and 55 (a 45). As someone that tries a lot of different stuff I’m pretty willing to concede that it doesn’t reeeaaally matter.
What I do find interesting about the trucks is that I can ride 56 conical fulls fairly loose (winter so sorta loose, cold bushing) and not get crazy wheelbite. The turn is sick.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1098 on: January 20, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »
44's basically are 8.25" just with extra long axle threads, thus making them 8.37" if you add washers to the inside of the wheel.

I bet people complained about having too much thread sticking out so they probably fixed that, hence the new sizes. Just a theory.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #1099 on: January 21, 2019, 07:33:10 AM »
44's basically are 8.25" just with extra long axle threads, thus making them 8.37" if you add washers to the inside of the wheel.

I bet people complained about having too much thread sticking out so they probably fixed that, hence the new sizes. Just a theory.

you think people actually complained about the extra thread? If anything I think people would just complain about there not being a truck listed as 8.25 :/. Wasn't that long ago that an 8.25 truck didn't even exist.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #1100 on: January 21, 2019, 08:25:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you think people actually complained about the extra thread? If anything I think people would just complain about there not being a truck listed as 8.25 :/. Wasn't that long ago that an 8.25 truck didn't even exist.

I would be more inclined to think more people complained there wasn't something between the current 44's and 55's so they decided to shift down to accommodate both.  A lot of people who ride a 8.5 boards are torn as to which to ride.  44's too small, 55's too big.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1101 on: January 21, 2019, 07:37:50 PM »
33 = 8
44 = 8.25
55 = 8.5
66 = 8.75
77 = 9

Stoked if that's true. I was hoping for a size between 44 and 55 but an 8.5" or 8.75" will work nicely.

How soon are these coming out"?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1102 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I would be more inclined to think more people complained there wasn't something between the current 44's and 55's so they decided to shift down to accommodate both.  A lot of people who ride a 8.5 boards are torn as to which to ride.  44's too small, 55's too big.

44s, like it was mentioned above, would do fine on 8.5s with washers; the truck, axle tip to tip was actually an 8.35, damn near right in the middle; I hope they keep the 44 around. QC will still keep people away as well as the lack of trendy/marketing options: Hollow, Ti, forged, etc., - it's nice to have options but you need the consumer base to enable that many variations.

Diocletian

« Reply #1103 on: January 23, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
I think the geometry also keeps a lot of people away as much it brings people in. I’d say probably more people are out there who don’t really think too hard about their trucks or set-ups in general. They just wanna skate and focus on the tricks. Indy’s, Thunders, Ventures...these are all...predictable? uncomplicated?...types of trucks that kids can just hop on and feel stable while doing their thing.

Yeah, technically you could feel the same with Ace, but for the most part I’d say their trucks are geared towards people who want a very specific thing from their trucks. Who want to nerd out and really get in tune with everything. It’s weird but I’ve seen a lot of people deterred by that way of thinking. Some sort of indifference towards a truck that has any specialness to it. The big 3 work well for people that just want...trucks.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1104 on: January 24, 2019, 08:03:04 PM »
Dropped Ace a FB message and they confirmed they are thinking of an 8.5/ 8.6" truck. More details to come in Spring apparently....

Larry Dallas

« Reply #1105 on: January 24, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »
I think the geometry also keeps a lot of people away as much it brings people in. I’d say probably more people are out there who don’t really think too hard about their trucks or set-ups in general. They just wanna skate and focus on the tricks. Indy’s, Thunders, Ventures...these are all...predictable? uncomplicated?...types of trucks that kids can just hop on and feel stable while doing their thing.

Yeah, technically you could feel the same with Ace, but for the most part I’d say their trucks are geared towards people who want a very specific thing from their trucks. Who want to nerd out and really get in tune with everything. It’s weird but I’ve seen a lot of people deterred by that way of thinking. Some sort of indifference towards a truck that has any specialness to it. The big 3 work well for people that just want...trucks.
What a massive kook.

Diocletian

« Reply #1106 on: January 24, 2019, 09:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What a massive kook.
Thanks, have a nice day :-*

Larry Dallas

« Reply #1107 on: January 24, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
What a massive kook.
[close]
Thanks, have a nice day :-*
You can go fuck yourself raw with a purple coping eater. “Specialness.” There’s nothing special about aces. They’re cheap, Chinese aluminum at a slightly greater angle than indys.

Diocletian

« Reply #1108 on: January 25, 2019, 12:43:26 AM »
You’re really upset about skateboard trucks. Indy may still pour their cast aluminum here but it’s still sourced from China. Their forged plates are sourced and made there. But yeah man...stay tough out there.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1109 on: January 25, 2019, 02:51:21 AM »
this guy definitely shouts RIDE THE BEST FUCK THE REST to kids at his local park whilst only doing front slashes on a 4fter