Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747559 times)

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1140 on: April 01, 2019, 02:38:01 AM »
Its counter to what you'd imagine and maybe in my imagination but I was skating a couple of big bowls recently on loose 44s and I swear they felt nice and stable at speed... no wobble at all... but then turn super well at slow speeds...

Heard from a reliable source big things are coming for Ace by the end of the year with some size adjustments and other improvements.

damn i've recently been really itching to try aces for the first time, but maybe i should wait till the end of the year.

what's the thinnest and widest boards you guys have set up with 44s? like if some of you have gone up to 8 3/4, have you gone as far down as 8? im in the process of branching out on deck widths, so i feel like 44s will give me a solid range to mess around, but your thoughts on what was too much of a gap would be appreciated
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #1141 on: April 01, 2019, 03:16:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Its counter to what you'd imagine and maybe in my imagination but I was skating a couple of big bowls recently on loose 44s and I swear they felt nice and stable at speed... no wobble at all... but then turn super well at slow speeds...

Heard from a reliable source big things are coming for Ace by the end of the year with some size adjustments and other improvements.
[close]

damn i've recently been really itching to try aces for the first time, but maybe i should wait till the end of the year.

what's the thinnest and widest boards you guys have set up with 44s? like if some of you have gone up to 8 3/4, have you gone as far down as 8? im in the process of branching out on deck widths, so i feel like 44s will give me a solid range to mess around, but your thoughts on what was too much of a gap would be appreciated

I’m currently 44’s on an 8.5. Wheels are well inside of the deck. I wouldn’t go any wider on them.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1142 on: April 01, 2019, 06:25:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm currently on an 8 5/8" with 44s and it feels great. I've had them on  an 8 3/4" also but that didn't work as well unless its a shaped board. Generally speaking I'd say 44s are good from about 8 1/8" to 8 5/8". Keep it within 1/4" either side.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1143 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:07 AM »

Hoping for a forged baseplate, slightly taller hangar, hollow or Ti axle, inverted kingpin

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1144 on: April 01, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hoping for a forged baseplate, slightly taller hangar, hollow or Ti axle, inverted kingpin

They'd have to switch to emirco for that to happen I bet; I've been skating 'just hollows' with indy and thunder and could get buy on Ace going that route; they're already super low.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1145 on: April 01, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »

Any sort of specifics you can point out? Been on Aces for a while, but all these minor revisions some members post about aren't really documented on Ace's website. I feel like officially they're on V2, with the thicker hanger and better bushings (as they point out on their product page), but people here throw around V2.5 and V3 as well. Like, does the fact the raw trucks are now sandcast textured like Indy's count as another revision? As Xen pointed out, what else can they really do without switching to Ermico? (which would rule, but probably unlikely).

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1146 on: April 01, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m currently 44’s on an 8.5. Wheels are well inside of the deck. I wouldn’t go any wider on them.

My friend skates an 8.125 with 44s and it looks right. I've skated up to 8.62 with 44s and didn't notice any issues, put some extra washers on the inside side of the wheel to pad it out a bit since the axle is a bit longer than usual, and you're good.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1147 on: April 01, 2019, 07:07:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Any sort of specifics you can point out? Been on Aces for a while, but all these minor revisions some members post about aren't really documented on Ace's website. I feel like officially they're on V2, with the thicker hanger and better bushings (as they point out on their product page), but people here throw around V2.5 and V3 as well. Like, does the fact the raw trucks are now sandcast textured like Indy's count as another revision? As Xen pointed out, what else can they really do without switching to Ermico? (which would rule, but probably unlikely).

There was no talk of forged, hollow or inverted anything but who knows. I think it was more to do with triangle that supports the hangers and making sure they are proportioned properly to support each width., some other tweaks that the layperson might not notice, adding more beef to the hanger again, and improving the 3/8"s axle nuts.  Also stuff to do with bushings, bushing options and then hanger sizes going up 1/4" . So a proper 8.25" 8.5", 8.75" 9" etc...  Geo stays the same, which to me is crucial as its perfect.
New manufacture but didn't sound like it would be Ermico.

Dude owns a shop and spoke with some Ace dudes in person. When I say reliable, its my interpretation of his interpretation... so stay tuned... I did ask Ace if they were working on their sizes and they said to expect an announcement in Spring...

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1148 on: April 01, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There was no talk of forged, hollow or inverted anything but who knows. I think it was more to do with triangle that supports the hangers and making sure they are proportioned properly to support each width., some other tweaks that the layperson might not notice, adding more beef to the hanger again, and improving the 3/8"s axle nuts.  Also stuff to do with bushings, bushing options and then hanger sizes going up 1/4" . So a proper 8.25" 8.5", 8.75" 9" etc...  Geo stays the same, which to me is crucial as its perfect.

Dude owns a shop and spoke with some Ace dudes in person. When I say reliable, its my interpretation of his interpretation... so stay tuned... I did ask Ace if they were working on their sizes and they said to expect an announcement in Spring...

Interesting. Having just snagged a set of the newest raw 44's there's really nothing I would change about them; the turn, the new bushings, the svelte hanger, even the current width (but I ride 8.38's so the width of the 44 is perfect to me). Changing factories would probably be a smart move regardless, although I've never had a QC issue like others have in this thread.

Those 3/8" axle nuts can fuck right off though, really hope they don't bring those back.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #1149 on: April 02, 2019, 01:34:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Funny, you'd think that wouldn't be something you'd overlook, given that most (?) truck designs scale this way? Truck webs start and hit the same on every other truck.

As for versions I think the Classics are v2.5?

OG

V2: Revised Hanger w/wider wings, less top hanger meat (which people misinterpreted as it being bent), less hanger taper and a revision to the bushing seat to tame in the pivot angle to stop shredding cups.

<not counting the .38 specials>

V3/Classics: same V2 hanger but clearly a step up in terms of casting, new finish + new bushings

Be a shame to lose the 44s, that size is nearing extinction - hopefully it stays is as a 'classic 44'
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:04:43 PM by TooManyPros »

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1150 on: April 03, 2019, 03:28:02 AM »
from top to bottom, v1,v2,v3. the difference between v1 and v2 is the v shape on the hanger being wider, and the hangers being thicker overall. v2.5s are v2s with smaller nuts. v3s have a subtly beefier and more angular v shape on the hanger, and are thicker overall compared to v2s. the pivot cup is bigger and softer. v3s also have softer bushings. sizes below 44 and the low models look basically the same from v1 to v3. maybe they're a bit thicker now? don't know. v3s have softer bushings and bigger pivot cups regardless.
v1

v2

v3

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:38:45 PM by I AM »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1151 on: April 03, 2019, 06:28:43 PM »
from top to bottom, v1,v2,v3. the difference between v1 and v2 is the v shape on the hanger being wider, and the hangers being thicker overall. v2.5s are v2s with smaller nuts. v3s have a subtly beefier and more angular v shape on the hanger, and are thicker overall compared to v2s. the pivot cup is bigger and softer. v3s also have softer bushings. sizes below 44 and the low models look basically the same from v1 to v3. maybe they're a bit thicker now? don't know. v3s have softer bushings and bigger pivot cups regardless.

Thanks for the breakdown. Guess I've only ever had V3's then.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1152 on: April 03, 2019, 08:37:00 PM »

hawt
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1153 on: April 04, 2019, 04:05:01 AM »
Thanks to this thread it finally solved the big mystery for me if my 44 classics really were the redesigned classics

They didn’t have the weird 3/8 axle nut
yes

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1154 on: April 05, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Spring catalog dropped a few days ago. Nothing new design or size-wise. (AO listed on the rider page now, which is pretty alright).

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1155 on: April 05, 2019, 06:59:53 PM »
Later in the year was what I heard.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #1156 on: April 05, 2019, 07:04:45 PM »
There’s no noticeable change in geometry between stage 2 and whatever is at now?  I need one new 44. My shop stopped carrying or something idk. I gotta order can only afford one truck. Move the old truck up front is the plan. I want as little change as possible.

I tried to get a replacement beginning of the winter  but I got no reply. I’m nervous about ordering shit always

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1157 on: April 06, 2019, 07:15:24 AM »
Later in the year was what I heard.

They’re gonna redesign them again?

Cause Didn’t they just recently redesign them to the 52mm height and straight more reinforced hangar like months ago?
yes

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #1158 on: April 06, 2019, 07:45:00 AM »
correct me if im wrong, but arent thunder hi's 53mm, and indys 55m? the new catalog says the classics are 52mm high, do most people skate them with risers considering they have so many bowl dudes skating big wheels?

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #1159 on: April 06, 2019, 07:47:02 AM »
(AO listed on the rider page now, which is pretty alright).

And steve olson, I guess indy doesnt owe.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1160 on: April 06, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »
correct me if im wrong, but arent thunder hi's 53mm, and indys 55m? the new catalog says the classics are 52mm high, do most people skate them with risers considering they have so many bowl dudes skating big wheels?

You are right, approximately at least. Aces are indeed 52 mm high (and always have been?) but the geometry makes them turn very deep without wheelbite. Sure, you can wheelbite them but it's the most predictable wheelbite of any truck I've skated and hard to achieve unless you're fucking up badly.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1161 on: April 06, 2019, 11:03:55 AM »

I use risers most of the time but everything being the same I get less wheel bite with ACE than Thunder b/c of the way they turn, hooks the wheel further back.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1162 on: April 06, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I use risers most of the time but everything being the same I get less wheel bite with ACE than Thunder b/c of the way they turn, hooks the wheel further back.

I run 54mm's on Ace's with no risers. No problems with wheelbite. I've gone up to 56mm without any real issue. When I had Thunders (team 149's) I could get pitched on 52's with a particularly shitty landing on flat.

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1163 on: April 06, 2019, 12:39:59 PM »

thunder highs are under 50mm except the redesigned 149s(and above)...

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #1164 on: April 06, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you mean the "redesign" from 5 or so years ago, they are all at about 52/53 now besides the lows or 145's.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1165 on: April 06, 2019, 02:19:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

if you mean the "redesign" from 5 or so years ago, they are all at about 52/53 now besides the lows or 145's.

Aren't the 147 Highs also much lower than 53? 47 or something?

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1166 on: April 07, 2019, 10:04:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Aren't the 147 Highs also much lower than 53? 47 or something?

147 hi are around 50mm

Diocletian

« Reply #1167 on: April 07, 2019, 12:10:12 PM »
Good to see the Ace thread active again. As mentioned in the truck thread, if you guys wanna try a stage 11 149 Indy to get that true 8.5” width on an Ace baseplate, it works perfect. Not knowing I’d think I was riding a full on Ace truck and not a frankentruck. I’m thinking of doing a Destructo hollow kingpin and then a titanium Indy 149 to kick things up a notch.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1168 on: April 07, 2019, 04:23:55 PM »
Good to see the Ace thread active again. As mentioned in the truck thread, if you guys wanna try a stage 11 149 Indy to get that true 8.5” width on an Ace baseplate, it works perfect. Not knowing I’d think I was riding a full on Ace truck and not a frankentruck. I’m thinking of doing a Destructo hollow kingpin and then a titanium Indy 149 to kick things up a notch.

I have a pair of Ace baseplates laying around, I'm gonna try this. Thanks for the tip, my guy.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1169 on: April 07, 2019, 09:20:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a pair of Ace baseplates laying around, I'm gonna try this. Thanks for the tip, my guy.

Tried this for kicks. Can confirm, works really well. No weirdness or bind in the turn at all. Use the stock Ace bottom and an Indy top bushing if you wanna get real loose.