Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748139 times)

Mulldrifter and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jud Nestorkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1500 on: September 12, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »
Do you have spacers in your wheels? The only time I had this exact same problem, it was when I removed the spacers to give a try. It was a very bad idea, it made the bearings to twist and to put pressure on the axle nuts, making them to turn and to loosen.
Yes I do.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1501 on: September 13, 2019, 08:06:57 AM »
Riptide pivot cups ought to do the trick

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1502 on: September 14, 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
Finally got some 33s after years of wanting to try out aces. Skated some flat for about 45 minutes yesterday to get the feel of them and tinker with any adjustments. So far I've noticed they feel a lot lighter than my indy 139s, and feel a little bit lower as well. I'm really not sure if that's true but that's just how I feel about them. Forgot how much is sucks to break in new trucks but so far I really like the turn on them, and that they are pretty stable too.

Diocletian

« Reply #1503 on: September 14, 2019, 08:42:49 AM »
So I got my warranty 55’s from Ace. Took them to my local and swapped them for 66’s as I wanted some even bigger boys. Man these things are heavy but there’s so much hanger to grind now.

I noticed another thing that Ace needs to solve with their QC: the conical hanger ends which “allow your bearings to spin freely” are never the same. My local had a bunch of Ace’s in different sizes and every truck has a different level of conical ends, some are shorter with barely any “conicalness” to them. Others longer. Some long on one side of the truck and shorter on the other, which I would imagine will make one wheel sit farther out and the other closer. Some were crooked which made the speed ring sit crooked, which therefore probably makes your wheel sit crooked. Pretty sure mine is when I look at it on these 66’s. Just gonna roll with it...

At this point I think Ace needs to do what major shoe/clothing brands do: they need to hire someone to live overseas close to the plant to be a production line manager/truck inspector. China is notorious for slacking on quality and consistency when they don’t have someone there daily to make sure they’re doing things properly.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #1504 on: September 14, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »
It’s not that serious bro.

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1505 on: September 14, 2019, 08:07:34 PM »
Has any one tried Ace 55s on an 8.5. if so were your axels sticking out too far. Also does anyone know what's good with the the mag base plates I can't find em in the states.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1506 on: September 14, 2019, 09:34:32 PM »
Has any one tried Ace 55s on an 8.5. if so were your axels sticking out too far. Also does anyone know what's good with the the mag base plates I can't find em in the states.

That's my current setup. I hesitated between my 44s or 55s, and I have no regrets because the 55s turn better (that's my feeling).
The hanger length of the 55s is basically the same (~2mm) as 8.75 Thunders or Indys, and my wheels are flush with the board. However the axles are indeed longer and stick out, but it's not a big deal because I take the wheels as a reference. The main issue is that if you land primo, you're going to damage the threads of the axles, so it's a good practice to put 3 or 4 speed rings outside the wheels to make the axle nuts flush with the axle ends.

Diocletian

« Reply #1507 on: September 15, 2019, 07:44:47 AM »
Was 3 hours into skating my brand new 66’s yesterday and the baseplate broke at the pivot from doing slappies. This is the 3-4th time with Ace’s. Making me want to call it a day with them and just go back to forged Indy’s.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1508 on: September 15, 2019, 07:56:47 AM »
Was 3 hours into skating my brand new 66’s yesterday and the baseplate broke at the pivot from doing slappies. This is the 3-4th time with Ace’s. Making me want to call it a day with them and just go back to forged Indy’s.

You should

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #1509 on: September 15, 2019, 08:15:05 AM »
How are you going to post this without pictures?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1510 on: September 15, 2019, 11:04:11 AM »
So I got my warranty 55’s from Ace. Took them to my local and swapped them for 66’s as I wanted some even bigger boys. Man these things are heavy but there’s so much hanger to grind now.

I noticed another thing that Ace needs to solve with their QC: the conical hanger ends which “allow your bearings to spin freely” are never the same. My local had a bunch of Ace’s in different sizes and every truck has a different level of conical ends, some are shorter with barely any “conicalness” to them. Others longer. Some long on one side of the truck and shorter on the other, which I would imagine will make one wheel sit farther out and the other closer. Some were crooked which made the speed ring sit crooked, which therefore probably makes your wheel sit crooked. Pretty sure mine is when I look at it on these 66’s. Just gonna roll with it...

At this point I think Ace needs to do what major shoe/clothing brands do: they need to hire someone to live overseas close to the plant to be a production line manager/truck inspector. China is notorious for slacking on quality and consistency when they don’t have someone there daily to make sure they’re doing things properly.

What's funny is that the old revs had more consistent hanger tapers.

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1511 on: September 15, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »
I love my ace trucks.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1512 on: September 16, 2019, 12:05:15 AM »
I love my ace trucks.

Yep, CAN'T BEAT THE FEELING.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1513 on: September 16, 2019, 12:51:32 AM »
I love my ace trucks.
*italian voice* psshhhhh get the fock outta heeeeere

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1514 on: September 16, 2019, 03:52:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I love my ace trucks.
[close]
*italian voice* psshhhhh get the fock outta heeeeere

*guido voice*
yes

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #1515 on: September 17, 2019, 04:34:55 PM »
What size do you guys recommend for an 8.5?  44s or 55s? Or is it just a matter of preferring a longer/shorter hanger/axle?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:40:15 PM by Putaslocas »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1516 on: September 17, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
What size do you guys recommend for an 8.5?  44s or 55s? Or is it just a matter of preferring a longer/shorter hanger?

55s look cooler, 44s more ‘appropriate’.
Wide trucks just look cool. That being said, I wish I hadn’t given my 33s away.

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #1517 on: September 17, 2019, 04:43:34 PM »
Expand Quote
What size do you guys recommend for an 8.5?  44s or 55s? Or is it just a matter of preferring a longer/shorter hanger?
[close]

trying to figure out whats sensible. 55s stick out too much? Ive seen 44s on an 8.5 and they seem to be a hair shorter which i doubt really matters. Just sick of indys and their pivot cups blowing out on me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1518 on: September 17, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

trying to figure out whats sensible. 55s stick out too much? Ive seen 44s on an 8.5 and they seem to be a hair shorter which i doubt really matters. Just sick of indys and their pivot cups blowing out on me.

Ace turn better. But. They have their own issues and in general are not as durable as Indy. I mostly prefer ace. Anyways....do you flip? Ollie? 44s. If not 55s.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1519 on: September 17, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
44s are closer than 55s to 8.5. 44s have 146 hanger. Indy 149s have a 149 hanger. We're talking 1.5mm each side.

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #1520 on: September 17, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ace turn better. But. They have their own issues and in general are not as durable as Indy. I mostly prefer ace. Anyways....do you flip? Ollie? 44s. If not 55s.

Have heard they are not as durable but makes sense as there seems to be less metal on them. Thanks for the input. Helpful.

Putaslocas

• EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #1521 on: September 17, 2019, 05:24:44 PM »
44s are closer than 55s to 8.5. 44s have 146 hanger. Indy 149s have a 149 hanger. We're talking 1.5mm each side.

Perfect. Thats extremely helpful. Thanks.

Diocletian

« Reply #1522 on: September 17, 2019, 07:56:40 PM »
Ace warranty dept. revealed to me via email there is ANOTHER revamp coming. Wouldn’t give me any details but like someone else had pasted from their email with Shrewgy, the baseplate will supposedly be stronger, and overall the truck is supposed to have more strength. Said it’s going to happen in the near future.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1523 on: September 17, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
Ace warranty dept. revealed to me via email there is ANOTHER revamp coming. Wouldn’t give me any details but like someone else had pasted from their email with Shrewgy, the baseplate will supposedly be stronger, and overall the truck is supposed to have more strength. Said it’s going to happen in the near future.

Do you have a pic of your broken baseplates?

Diocletian

« Reply #1524 on: September 17, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »

The rest are in my junk box in the basement. But this was from the other day.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1525 on: September 17, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »

Damn. Looks like a clean snap instead of getting slowly deformed and giving in. Not a good look. Maybe Ace should do forged plates. 🤔

Diocletian

« Reply #1526 on: September 17, 2019, 11:27:22 PM »
Yeah, that’s how it’s happened every time, and my hanger flipped 180 haha. I still back Ace and their warranty person is a really nice guy, but I just want a truck that I don’t have to worry about taking it easy on beating them up, never had that problem with Indy. Sacrificing turn for strength is a tough one though.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1527 on: September 18, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Perfect. Thats extremely helpful. Thanks.

An extra spacer on the inside of the wheel would make them super close. 

I saw these axle nuts that are thinner than standard which should allow even one more spacer on the inside: 

https://www.acerracing.com/collections/titanium-skate-hardware/products/5-16-24-titanium-skateboard-wheel-nuts-4-pieces

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1528 on: September 18, 2019, 08:58:25 AM »
I love my ace trucks.
I am hyped on mine going ot skate here soon as we speak.
Dueces Bitch's

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1529 on: September 18, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn. Looks like a clean snap instead of getting slowly deformed and giving in. Not a good look. Maybe Ace should do forged plates. 🤔

Thats a weird one. I've 200lbs and smash my 44s and 55s into curbs, ledges and coping and never had anything resembling that. How are you doing that repeatedly?