Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 376028 times)

Lazyskater and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1590 on: October 09, 2019, 11:38:57 PM »
What risers sit flush with Ace baseplates? Running Indy risers on my 44s but they stick out a bit, anybody tried Thunder risers? If it comes down to it I can just cut them down to size but I was curious to see what you guys use, thanks.

I use Diamond risers. Not 100% flush but itís manageable IMO. I can take a picture when Iím home if you want. I never understood why risers donít fit properly on baseplates. Even Indy risers on Indy baseplates are off.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -941
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1591 on: October 10, 2019, 04:03:40 AM »
I use diamond and then razor-bladed them flush

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #endlesstoecapsforthepuffyfooter

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1592 on: October 10, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
Anyone in here jumping down shit with these trucks.

I have skated 2 sets, first set when they first came out and a second set a few years later. Bent axles on both sets. I've seen people mention the bending axle thing has been fixed, but unsure if those people just aren't taking impact

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #1593 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
Here's the Ace baseplate with a Diamond 1/8" riser:

Ok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #1594 on: October 10, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »

I have skated 2 sets, first set when they first came out and a second set a few years later. Bent axles on both sets. I've seen people mention the bending axle thing has been fixed, but unsure if those people just aren't taking impact

Whoa whoa whoa. Never down, maybe up.

El Fapinator

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -250
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #1595 on: October 10, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »

Funny you should ask I just got done with a heavy ride and did at least my go to tricks down a hefty loading dock into a bank, kf fs 180 bs 180 shuv both ways and I was taking heavy tolls on Ace's. They seem to not have bent on me they're the 44's green ones.
Dueces Bitch's

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1596 on: October 10, 2019, 01:25:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Funny you should ask I just got done with a heavy ride and did at least my go to tricks down a hefty loading dock into a bank, kf fs 180 bs 180 shuv both ways and I was taking heavy tolls on Ace's. They seem to not have bent on me they're the 44's green ones.

Thanks, I really like the look of ACE, and liked them while I was riding them. I just can't justify going back for a third time only to have bent axles again. I will not be made a mockery of

CBP

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1597 on: October 10, 2019, 02:04:41 PM »
Here's the Ace baseplate with a Diamond 1/8" riser:

Good looking out, thank you.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1598 on: October 10, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »
If you want your risers flush you can get risers with oval shape holes so you can position them however you like... Pretty handy.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1599 on: October 10, 2019, 05:02:24 PM »
If you want your risers flush you can get risers with oval shape holes so you can position them however you like... Pretty handy.

They're also just plastic a razor blade or even a drill would make quick work of it

Diocletian

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #1600 on: October 10, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »
Best risers for Aceís are Modus. Fixed holes and a middle ground between plastic/rubbery. Like a flexible plastic that wonít make the board sound dead. They stick out a tiny bit on all four sides beneath the baseplate but itís like 98.83694% even and looks as proper as itís going to get until Ace makes their own risers that are cut perfectly to not stick out.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1601 on: October 11, 2019, 12:24:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Thanks, I really like the look of ACE, and liked them while I was riding them. I just can't justify going back for a third time only to have bent axles again. I will not be made a mockery of

I like the look of the 33s the best.
The newer stuff doesnít bend for me, maybe others. I mean for sure others people have totally mentioned it on here. The turn is sick, very difficult to wheelbite, grind easy etc. kinda heavy.....they are perfectly fine quality wise for me, and I like the product, but they donít seem to be quite on the level of the big three. Like I can do dumb things with Indyís/ventures/Iím assuming thunders. And by dumb things I mean run way to many washers on the inside of the wheel, try to learn frontside slappys, half heartedly, on unwaxed curbs etc, with no problems. That being said, I mean....trucks are like what $40-50 dollars? If I break a board that just makes me feel awesome. If I ruin trucks via the act of skating, ditto. Per usual Iíve typed a lot without saying much

ferraveemo

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1602 on: October 11, 2019, 02:10:47 AM »

The new distro Ace 44ís. Looks much thicker on the Hanger. Joey Tershay was at my local park and had to scope out his set up. He mentioned that the truck will be full forged. Rode it out too and it still turns the same way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:54:25 AM by ferraveemo »

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1603 on: October 11, 2019, 04:32:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

The newer stuff doesnít bend for me, maybe others. I mean for sure others people have totally mentioned it on here. The turn is sick, very difficult to wheelbite, grind easy etc. kinda heavy.....they are perfectly fine quality wise for me, and I like the product, but they donít seem to be quite on the level of the big three. Like I can do dumb things with Indyís/ventures/Iím assuming thunders. And by dumb things I mean run way to many washers on the inside of the wheel, try to learn frontside slappys, half heartedly, on unwaxed curbs etc, with no problems. That being said, I mean....trucks are like what $40-50 dollars? If I break a board that just makes me feel awesome. If I ruin trucks via the act of skating, ditto. Per usual Iíve typed a lot without saying much

I have never been a board breaker, I was more of the kick away 300 times and then put one down bolts. So I chipped a ton of boards. As far as trucks cost, I get its roughly the same as a deck expenditure wise. But getting a new set of trucks tweaking them to your liking and having them last like 6 months to a year is better than putting them on riding them for the length of one deck and them also failing. Or the axle bending and causing uneven wear on wheels and the next thing you know after a month you need damn near a whole new complete.

Diocletian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1604 on: October 11, 2019, 07:17:16 AM »

The new distro Ace 44ís. Looks much thicker on the Hanger. Joey Tershay was at my local park and had to scope out his set up. He mentioned that the truck will be full forged. Rode it out too and it still turns the same way.

I really wish this image would appear.

I AM

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1605 on: October 11, 2019, 07:38:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yes, pics or it didn't happen.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1606 on: October 11, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have never been a board breaker, I was more of the kick away 300 times and then put one down bolts. So I chipped a ton of boards. As far as trucks cost, I get its roughly the same as a deck expenditure wise. But getting a new set of trucks tweaking them to your liking and having them last like 6 months to a year is better than putting them on riding them for the length of one deck and them also failing. Or the axle bending and causing uneven wear on wheels and the next thing you know after a month you need damn near a whole new complete.

You make a really good point, it does suck to get all new stuff often, and itís just wasteful.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -79
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1607 on: October 11, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ditto,

Damn I canít wait

Wow a forged hangar?
I wonder what thatís gonna grind like
yes

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1608 on: October 11, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:34:08 AM by Fred Gerwer Frank Gall »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1609 on: October 11, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »

Shouldíve known a poster with this handle would have the goods

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1610 on: October 11, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You make a really good point, it does suck to get all new stuff often, and itís just wasteful.

Bailed on work for a bit, drove an hour to a Zumiez that had polished 44's in stock since they are currently on sale at Zumiez. While it pains me not to have not supported my local the dude rang them up and said "I think these qualify for buy one get one 50% off" he then pushed some buttons on the register and my total came to $23. which I am more than cool with. Grabbed a burrito and now I'm back at the office.

I'll be setting them up after the deck I am riding now. Didn't really need trucks but for $23, 3 hours out of the office and a burrito it made for a tight Friday so far.

Diocletian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1611 on: October 11, 2019, 01:30:10 PM »

Really nice! Thank you. I like the new Ace logo on the baseplate. Look basically the same otherwise. More noticeable ď44Ē stamp into the hanger. If that baseplate is truly forged, I think Iíll be going back to Ace as soon as these are released 🤘🏻

palelight

• Rep: 81
« Reply #1612 on: October 11, 2019, 01:39:04 PM »
Those definitely look a bit meatier in the hanger, for better or worse. Hard to tell if that's a forged plate or not, still looks pretty thick, but I'm guessing they want to keep the height the same (which is perfect imo). Bushings look the same as well thankfully, hope they don't go the Bones insert route that someone mentioned as a possible 'upgrade.' Should definitely just offer harder duro's for the people that need it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:42:01 PM by palelight »

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #1613 on: October 12, 2019, 09:13:33 AM »
Hovering on the brink of trying some aces out. I skated ventures for 20 years and switched to Indy in the spring when I realized that a deeper/surfier turn is what works best for me. It was part of a huge wave of gear madness I went through and I am hesitant to re-open that door. A little bugged out by the idea of losing some WB length, but also realizing that recently that I don't like as long a WB as I once thought.

I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1614 on: October 12, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »
Hovering on the brink of trying some aces out. I skated ventures for 20 years and switched to Indy in the spring when I realized that a deeper/surfier turn is what works best for me. It was part of a huge wave of gear madness I went through and I am hesitant to re-open that door. A little bugged out by the idea of losing some WB length, but also realizing that recently that I don't like as long a WB as I once thought.

If deeper and surfier is your jam, ACEs would be the peanut butter. Rumor has it new sizes (and who knows what improvements we might get as well) are on the way. Patience, grashoppa.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #1615 on: October 12, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Ditto,

Damn I canít wait

Wow a forged hangar?
I wonder what thatís gonna grind like

Full Forged? fuuuuuuuuck that would be sick + hollow  :o

Diocletian

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1616 on: October 12, 2019, 02:05:31 PM »
I didnít catch that before...fully forged ??? Wouldnít that make them more expensive? I think theyíd be the first to offer a forged hanger in the history of trucks, and with that I wonder how theyíd grind?

palelight

• Rep: 81
« Reply #1617 on: October 12, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »
I didnít catch that before...fully forged ??? Wouldnít that make them more expensive? I think theyíd be the first to offer a forged hanger in the history of trucks, and with that I wonder how theyíd grind?

I'm gonna assume that whoever said it originally meant forged baseplates. Forging a hanger would be.... difficult to say the very least unless Ace is working with an astonishingly high r&d budget. You'd have to forge weld aluminum around an axle, don't think that's ever been done. That'd be some artisanal truck shit, cost would be insane.   

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #1618 on: October 12, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If deeper and surfier is your jam, ACEs would be the peanut butter. Rumor has it new sizes (and who knows what improvements we might get as well) are on the way. Patience, grashoppa.

They were very cheap ($24 for the set of 44s) at a nearby Zumiez and I couldn't resist. Short on spending money right now, so the compromise had to be made to sate my curiosity.

Skated them for about an hour and a half and I really like them. Stock bushing tightened up (almost miraculously so) after about a half hour, and in spite of my height I do not mind the shorter WB at all. Running them with some Modus risers I have laying around and they do look nice together.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #1619 on: October 12, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
Any ideas on when the new versions will drop? Looking to pick up a new pair, but rather wait till the 'upgraded' models are out.