Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739149 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1590 on: October 11, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The new distro Ace 44’s. Looks much thicker on the Hanger. Joey Tershay was at my local park and had to scope out his set up. He mentioned that the truck will be full forged. Rode it out too and it still turns the same way.
[close]

I really wish this image would appear.
[close]
yes, pics or it didn't happen.

Ditto,

Damn I can’t wait

Wow a forged hangar?
I wonder what that’s gonna grind like
yes

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1591 on: October 11, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:34:08 AM by Fred Gerwer Frank Gall »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1592 on: October 11, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »

Should’ve known a poster with this handle would have the goods

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1593 on: October 11, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone in here jumping down shit with these trucks.

I have skated 2 sets, first set when they first came out and a second set a few years later. Bent axles on both sets. I've seen people mention the bending axle thing has been fixed, but unsure if those people just aren't taking impact
[close]
Funny you should ask I just got done with a heavy ride and did at least my go to tricks down a hefty loading dock into a bank, kf fs 180 bs 180 shuv both ways and I was taking heavy tolls on Ace's. They seem to not have bent on me they're the 44's green ones.
[close]

Thanks, I really like the look of ACE, and liked them while I was riding them. I just can't justify going back for a third time only to have bent axles again. I will not be made a mockery of
[close]

I like the look of the 33s the best.
The newer stuff doesn’t bend for me, maybe others. I mean for sure others people have totally mentioned it on here. The turn is sick, very difficult to wheelbite, grind easy etc. kinda heavy.....they are perfectly fine quality wise for me, and I like the product, but they don’t seem to be quite on the level of the big three. Like I can do dumb things with Indy’s/ventures/I’m assuming thunders. And by dumb things I mean run way to many washers on the inside of the wheel, try to learn frontside slappys, half heartedly, on unwaxed curbs etc, with no problems. That being said, I mean....trucks are like what $40-50 dollars? If I break a board that just makes me feel awesome. If I ruin trucks via the act of skating, ditto. Per usual I’ve typed a lot without saying much
[close]

I have never been a board breaker, I was more of the kick away 300 times and then put one down bolts. So I chipped a ton of boards. As far as trucks cost, I get its roughly the same as a deck expenditure wise. But getting a new set of trucks tweaking them to your liking and having them last like 6 months to a year is better than putting them on riding them for the length of one deck and them also failing. Or the axle bending and causing uneven wear on wheels and the next thing you know after a month you need damn near a whole new complete.
[close]

You make a really good point, it does suck to get all new stuff often, and it’s just wasteful.

Bailed on work for a bit, drove an hour to a Zumiez that had polished 44's in stock since they are currently on sale at Zumiez. While it pains me not to have not supported my local the dude rang them up and said "I think these qualify for buy one get one 50% off" he then pushed some buttons on the register and my total came to $23. which I am more than cool with. Grabbed a burrito and now I'm back at the office.

I'll be setting them up after the deck I am riding now. Didn't really need trucks but for $23, 3 hours out of the office and a burrito it made for a tight Friday so far.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Diocletian

« Reply #1594 on: October 11, 2019, 01:30:10 PM »

Really nice! Thank you. I like the new Ace logo on the baseplate. Look basically the same otherwise. More noticeable “44” stamp into the hanger. If that baseplate is truly forged, I think I’ll be going back to Ace as soon as these are released 🤘🏻

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1595 on: October 11, 2019, 01:39:04 PM »
Those definitely look a bit meatier in the hanger, for better or worse. Hard to tell if that's a forged plate or not, still looks pretty thick, but I'm guessing they want to keep the height the same (which is perfect imo). Bushings look the same as well thankfully, hope they don't go the Bones insert route that someone mentioned as a possible 'upgrade.' Should definitely just offer harder duro's for the people that need it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:42:01 PM by palelight »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1596 on: October 12, 2019, 09:13:33 AM »
Hovering on the brink of trying some aces out. I skated ventures for 20 years and switched to Indy in the spring when I realized that a deeper/surfier turn is what works best for me. It was part of a huge wave of gear madness I went through and I am hesitant to re-open that door. A little bugged out by the idea of losing some WB length, but also realizing that recently that I don't like as long a WB as I once thought.

TooManyPros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #1597 on: October 12, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »
Hovering on the brink of trying some aces out. I skated ventures for 20 years and switched to Indy in the spring when I realized that a deeper/surfier turn is what works best for me. It was part of a huge wave of gear madness I went through and I am hesitant to re-open that door. A little bugged out by the idea of losing some WB length, but also realizing that recently that I don't like as long a WB as I once thought.

If deeper and surfier is your jam, ACEs would be the peanut butter. Rumor has it new sizes (and who knows what improvements we might get as well) are on the way. Patience, grashoppa.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1598 on: October 12, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The new distro Ace 44’s. Looks much thicker on the Hanger. Joey Tershay was at my local park and had to scope out his set up. He mentioned that the truck will be full forged. Rode it out too and it still turns the same way.
[close]

I really wish this image would appear.
[close]
yes, pics or it didn't happen.
[close]

Ditto,

Damn I can’t wait

Wow a forged hangar?
I wonder what that’s gonna grind like

Full Forged? fuuuuuuuuck that would be sick + hollow  :o

Diocletian

« Reply #1599 on: October 12, 2019, 02:05:31 PM »
I didn’t catch that before...fully forged ??? Wouldn’t that make them more expensive? I think they’d be the first to offer a forged hanger in the history of trucks, and with that I wonder how they’d grind?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1600 on: October 12, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »
I didn’t catch that before...fully forged ??? Wouldn’t that make them more expensive? I think they’d be the first to offer a forged hanger in the history of trucks, and with that I wonder how they’d grind?

I'm gonna assume that whoever said it originally meant forged baseplates. Forging a hanger would be.... difficult to say the very least unless Ace is working with an astonishingly high r&d budget. You'd have to forge weld aluminum around an axle, don't think that's ever been done. That'd be some artisanal truck shit, cost would be insane.   

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1601 on: October 12, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If deeper and surfier is your jam, ACEs would be the peanut butter. Rumor has it new sizes (and who knows what improvements we might get as well) are on the way. Patience, grashoppa.

They were very cheap ($24 for the set of 44s) at a nearby Zumiez and I couldn't resist. Short on spending money right now, so the compromise had to be made to sate my curiosity.

Skated them for about an hour and a half and I really like them. Stock bushing tightened up (almost miraculously so) after about a half hour, and in spite of my height I do not mind the shorter WB at all. Running them with some Modus risers I have laying around and they do look nice together.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1602 on: October 12, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
Any ideas on when the new versions will drop? Looking to pick up a new pair, but rather wait till the 'upgraded' models are out.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1603 on: October 12, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »
Any ideas on when the new versions will drop? Looking to pick up a new pair, but rather wait till the 'upgraded' models are out.

On their insta when people ask about 8.5's they usually mention changes coming around the new year. So kind of vague, but hopefully more solid info comes out in the next couple months.

Diocletian

« Reply #1604 on: October 12, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm gonna assume that whoever said it originally meant forged baseplates. Forging a hanger would be.... difficult to say the very least unless Ace is working with an astonishingly high r&d budget. You'd have to forge weld aluminum around an axle, don't think that's ever been done. That'd be some artisanal truck shit, cost would be insane.   

This makes total sense. Plus, I’d imagine it would take a long time to build a groove meanwhile the axle is still the same strength so if it bent or slipped you’d be bummed with way less money in your pocket on top of it.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1605 on: October 12, 2019, 05:47:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This makes total sense. Plus, I’d imagine it would take a long time to build a groove meanwhile the axle is still the same strength so if it bent or slipped you’d be bummed with way less money in your pocket on top of it.

Absolutely. Plus from a functionality standpoint, you'd have a massive forge weld line running the length of the hanger which could fracture and delaminate at any point, a high likelihood of material failure. With a forged baseplate it's a just a single pressed piece of aluminum, which eliminates all of the above.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1606 on: October 12, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
i really wish ace won't fuck anything up this time...but thats inevitable since its ace. im thinking they're gonna fuck up majorly with the sizing, they're still gonna have problems with the bushings, and qc is gonna be bad as always. the ones in the picture look kinda ugly also...they look like film trucks or some shit. im still gonna buy them when they come out, unless they stop making the current 66 size, in that case they can go fuck themselves and go bankrupt by spending too much money fucking around with shit they shouldve gotten right the first time.

oh, and of course they're gonna have a brand new problem that they're gonna fix the next year ad infinitum
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:59:24 PM by I AM »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1607 on: October 12, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
i really wish ace won't fuck anything up this time...but thats inevitable since its ace. im thinking they're gonna fuck up majorly with the sizing, they're still gonna have problems with the bushings, and qc is gonna be bad as always. the ones in the picture look kinda ugly also...they look like film trucks or some shit. im still gonna buy them when they come out, unless they stop making the current 66 size, in that case they can go fuck themselves and go bankrupt by spending too much money fucking around with shit they shouldve gotten right the first time.

oh, and of course they're gonna have a brand new problem that they're gonna fix the next year ad infinitum

If you feel that way, why bother?

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1608 on: October 12, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you feel that way, why bother?
the turning, obviously.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1609 on: October 12, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
The turning is amazing

If that’s how old stage Indy’s were...man, indy messed up not working with Joey
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1610 on: October 13, 2019, 02:29:50 AM »
Those new 44s in the pic look really hefty. Also the baseplates look to be the same thickness as the previous baseplates so I wonder if they're forged at all. Wouldn't a forged baseplate with the same dimensions be heavier than a cast one? I wonder if they'll be even heavier. 🤔

Oh well. I have 4 sets of V 1, 2 & 3 44s, 1 set of the V3 55s, 1 set of 5.8 Ventures and 1 set of Thunder 149 Titanium Lights to go through until I need new trucks so I can likely wait a good while until I need new trucks unless Ace comes out with a 8.75ish axle truck. If they do, I might just have to get a set. 😬

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1611 on: October 13, 2019, 02:51:17 AM »
It is entirely forged according to Joey. Other noticeable changes than the hanger. The pivot cup hole is much deeper. Possibly the same as krux. The hanger for this 44 seems a lot shorter than the previous 44’s. Possibly aligning with the rumors of size revisions. The bushings went back to a harder duro but it’s more responsive. Maybe a much harder top but semi soft bottom bushing. He also mentioned that this will be under their own distro. No ties to emirco. Releasing sometime next year but with more tweaks to go before it’s released.

Bottom pic is from Jef Hartsel. He was also there that night.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1612 on: October 13, 2019, 04:22:44 AM »
It is entirely forged according to Joey. Other noticeable changes than the hanger. The pivot cup hole is much deeper. Possibly the same as krux. The hanger for this 44 seems a lot shorter than the previous 44’s. Possibly aligning with the rumors of size revisions. The bushings went back to a harder duro but it’s more responsive. Maybe a much harder top but semi soft bottom bushing. He also mentioned that this will be under their own distro. No ties to emirco. Releasing sometime next year but with more tweaks to go before it’s released.

Bottom pic is from Jef Hartsel. He was also there that night.

In a just world Joey T. would undercut Indy by making an entirely forged truck, but I'm at a total loss as to how a hanger would be forged. The aluminum would have to be either pounded and welded around the axle, or the axle would have to be drifted through through 8 inches of aluminum... and then somehow permanently affixed. I'm 100% willing to be proven wrong if someone with some details/more knowledge wants to chime in.

Those new 44s in the pic look really hefty. Also the baseplates look to be the same thickness as the previous baseplates so I wonder if they're forged at all. Wouldn't a forged baseplate with the same dimensions be heavier than a cast one? I wonder if they'll be even heavier. 🤔

Hard to say. Best case they'd be more or less the same weight. I suppose if they used 7075 alloy it might be lighter, but the cost would be up there.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1613 on: October 13, 2019, 06:57:13 AM »
They better not fuck these things up. I've only had v2 and v3s, but love them both. I hope these new ones don't feel too different where I yearn for an older version like I did with Indies. I preferred stage 9s & 10s over 11s, like many people do with stages even further back. It doesn't seem like people feel that way about Aces yet, but with the amount of tweaks they're doing it will inevitably happen.
I like the latest version of Indy’s. I have crushed the baseplate on a set of stage 9’s kingpin and all.

I will say Indy’s have a good turning radius just unmatched by Ace’s. I assume they’re made for bowl trolls and the likes there in however I spent an entire day skating a few loading docks and haven’t had any issues with bending any other stuff that Indy’s have had.
Dueces Bitch's

Mongoloid

« Reply #1614 on: October 13, 2019, 07:34:12 AM »
Welp, looks like I’ll be stocking up on some more 44’s!

Diocletian

« Reply #1615 on: October 13, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »

As blunt as this is...Ace brought this kind of expectation upon themselves and you’re probably not wrong on any of it. It’s why I switched back to Indy. However, it’s like you said...that dang turn.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1616 on: October 13, 2019, 10:27:43 AM »

Oh well. I have 4 sets of V 1, 2 & 3 44s, 1 set of the V3 55s, 1 set of 5.8 Ventures and 1 set of Thunder 149 Titanium Lights to go through until I need new trucks so I can likely wait a good while until I need new trucks unless Ace comes out with a 8.75ish axle truck. If they do, I might just have to get a set. 😬

What do you prefer between the ventures and thunders? Why?

That’s my current dilemma.
Should just skate 44s, but the weight

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1617 on: October 13, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What do you prefer between the ventures and thunders? Why?

That’s my current dilemma.
Should just skate 44s, but the weight

I got them both when I was going through gear madness. The Thunders at the tail end of my period of insanity so I didn't get much skating done with them. I kinda liked them both but stock bushings were too hard. On Ventures they're easily replaced but on Thunders it's trickier as they're different height than most others so I never bothered. Once I'll actually skate them more properly I might have something to say but now this is pretty much all insight I have to give.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #1618 on: October 13, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
i wonder if this will prolong the life of pivot cups

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1619 on: October 13, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
as others have said, there's no way in hell the hangar is forged.

Curious to see what the other updates are