Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747769 times)

animalflesh

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1680 on: October 21, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »
I weigh 225 and beat the shit out of my trucks and have never had an issue with ace bushings

Maybe it’s just a weird quality control issue with inconsistent product but I’ve owned and skated through 6 sets of Ace trucks now and the only problem I’ve ever had was a few shitty nuts unthreading themselves

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1681 on: October 21, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »
I experienced the same thing with some Krux 8.5".  Didn't make it out of the garage with the stock bushings on those either.

Indy, Mini Logo, Thunder and Royal - no problems with the bushings being seated.

I'm currently running Mini Logo medium bushings in the Ace - because that's what I had in the toolbox when the Ace blew out. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1682 on: October 21, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
Yes, I broke them in properly, yes they popped out almost immediately. Great once broken in but those first few rolls were annoying

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1683 on: October 21, 2019, 10:28:49 PM »
i was randomly on the website and looked at the team list- one solid fucking team

id wanna try aces again but the thought of having to basically re learn everything sucks
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1684 on: October 22, 2019, 10:48:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm getting close to setting up the ACE I picked up. Whats the consensus on Bones bushings in them? Works/Doesn't?
[close]

I ride a bones top.

What's wrong with the stock ones, why do you want to put Bones Bushings?

I just liked it better. My trucks feel like there's no top bushings but there is
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:37:27 PM by AssFlea »
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

shpongle

• Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #1685 on: November 27, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »
does anybody know if oski rides the 44s or55s?

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1686 on: November 27, 2019, 03:19:22 PM »
ask him on instagram

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1687 on: November 27, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ask him on instagram
And don't forget to do it like a man
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1688 on: November 27, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »
Bent a 55 doing nothing that should bend a truck. The turn, warranty, etc., but damn still a bummer.  Make better shit, Ace, the end.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #1689 on: November 27, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
I don't want to believe that
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Diocletian

« Reply #1690 on: November 27, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »
Bent a 55 doing nothing that should bend a truck. The turn, warranty, etc., but damn still a bummer.  Make better shit, Ace, the end.

Yep. Multiple bends various sizes, bought 66’s and noticed post-mount they were bent before I skated them. Too many broken baseplates. Turn, warranty...doesn’t really make up for it. They came on the market in what...’08? Long enough to get their QC under control.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1691 on: November 27, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. Multiple bends various sizes, bought 66’s and noticed post-mount they were bent before I skated them. Too many broken baseplates. Turn, warranty...doesn’t really make up for it. They came on the market in what...’08? Long enough to get their QC under control.

It's pretty sad that 13 years on and the quality control is only marginally better. I have high hopes for this net round of ACEs (having just jumped back onto a set). Forged plate with hollow pin and some type of forged voodoo hanger. Could be a contender.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1692 on: November 27, 2019, 05:45:43 PM »
Weird, I’ve gone through 3 sets of ace with no issues (2 44s and currently on 55s) and I’m on the heavy side at 205lbs. My only gripe has been the bushings of the 55s (too soft and they slipped around). I found a nice solution though.

I had 2 sets of aftermarket Indy hard bushings, 1 set conical, 1 set barrel. I use a big barrel for the deck side and a big conical for the ground side. I sanded them all down so that when tightened, the kingpin nut is flush and it’s a medium tightness for my taste. Very happy now.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1693 on: November 27, 2019, 06:11:18 PM »
Not to be no hater but.....those that experience the broken bushing/bushing pop out etc etc.....did any of you truly, for reals tho, but did you really: break in the fucking trucks first? This used to happen to me all of the time. Because I’d get a board and tighten the trucks right away. Like a fucking child. Stop it. I don’t care if you are 275, don’t have balance, only like to tic tac whatever,  just roll around for a while. The bushings firm up. Try to make thru a few sessions before you tighten the trucks up. Hey, we all need the excuses, none of us can be that good. Just leave that shit alone, quit picking at it. It’ll get better, I promise.

My true, sincere apologies if anyone who has had bushing problems has tried to really break in the trucks, and then still had bushing failure. I’m sure it’s possible.
Eh I dunno, maybe I’m a picky man child but my first 2 sets of 44s had great stock bushings but these ‘newer’ 55s might as well have come stock with gummy bears. Definitely different than the past. My time to skate is unfortunately limited so I’d rather just swap them out and be 😃
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:14:35 PM by m477 »

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1694 on: November 27, 2019, 06:14:22 PM »
Out of the box, my 44s and 55s were also slightly bent. I can't say I feel it, but the uneven wear that it puts on wheels is significant and quite annoying.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1695 on: November 27, 2019, 06:43:53 PM »
Yes close to pulling but these type of posts keep popping up. What was it?
Sorry I throw on a set of trucks last thing I wanna worry about it switching out their bushings
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:46:03 PM by jay_nev »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1696 on: November 27, 2019, 07:58:23 PM »
New metal coming in Spring? Thicker hangers and proportional support.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1697 on: November 27, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »
New metal coming in Spring? Thicker hangers and proportional support.
yeah I’m here for it + the marketing push

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1698 on: November 28, 2019, 12:04:37 AM »
Anyone know the cheapest place to buy Ace 55s online? My hangers are ready to pop and no shops near me carry them. Thanks.

dan brown

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1699 on: November 28, 2019, 09:31:01 AM »
Out of the box, my 44s and 55s were also slightly bent. I can't say I feel it, but the uneven wear that it puts on wheels is significant and quite annoying.

Ace used to make their axles with a little extra metal in the middle to help lock in on grinds more, but this wasn't common knowledge, as I thought the same thing. This became a selling point issue and threw people off, so now they make them without the extra metal/hanger rocker. All I'm saying is Alot of people have been jumping from indy to ace lately, I just saw a photo of sage elleser riding them, Daryl angel is on board, even 36 year indy lapdog Jeff grosso has left them for ace. No one's seems to have left ace to ride for another truck company, everyone's coming to them. I back em forever I reckon, can't bring myself to set up an old set of Indy's or thunders anymore

Diocletian

« Reply #1700 on: November 28, 2019, 10:33:46 AM »
Wonder what will happen when Indy comes out with a stage 12 that beats the stage 3 geo and already have better QC than Ace’s 13 years of trying lol. Will they switch back with their tail between their legs?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1701 on: November 28, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
Anyone know the cheapest place to buy Ace 55s online? My hangers are ready to pop and no shops near me carry them. Thanks.

Cheapest I have seen is $35.50 at Daddies for the blue ones, using their 15% coupon from their homepage

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1702 on: November 28, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »
Wonder what will happen when Indy comes out with a stage 12 that beats the stage 3 geo and already have better QC than Ace’s 13 years of trying lol. Will they switch back with their tail between their legs?

You seem to have strong faith in Indy coming up with a stage 12 that'll have better geometry than Ace. If it was that simple, why haven't Indys been like that since stage 3?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1703 on: November 28, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace used to make their axles with a little extra metal in the middle to help lock in on grinds more, but this wasn't common knowledge, as I thought the same thing. This became a selling point issue and threw people off, so now they make them without the extra metal/hanger rocker. All I'm saying is Alot of people have been jumping from indy to ace lately, I just saw a photo of sage elleser riding them, Daryl angel is on board, even 36 year indy lapdog Jeff grosso has left them for ace. No one's seems to have left ace to ride for another truck company, everyone's coming to them. I back em forever I reckon, can't bring myself to set up an old set of Indy's or thunders anymore

Darryl Angel is not a selling point for any brand, and if Tershay were a smart man he'd put a highway's worth of distance between himself and that tool. Also, Sage rules but he's been on Aces for a while. Good recent additions: Max Palmer, Diego Todd, and Nick Boserio. And as you mentioned, Grosso himself. Tons of lower key NYC rippers on them as well.

There's definitely been real backlash against Indy over the last year, no doubt. And you can't chalk it up to Venture or Ace having superior marketing or better incentives over the monolith that is NHS. Something weird went down that shooed people away but no one's come out and said what it was, Grosso vaguely intimated it was "business" related and not mutual when he dipped, but that's about it. And given that a lot of people who've left (like Bobby Worrest) have lots of nice things to say about the TM (Rhino) it might be more top down, i.e NHS higher ups pulling some weird shit than the Indy brand itself.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 03:54:01 PM by palelight »

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1704 on: November 28, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »

Ace used to make their axles with a little extra metal in the middle to help lock in on grinds more, but this wasn't common knowledge, as I thought the same thing. This became a selling point issue and threw people off, so now they make them without the extra metal/hanger rocker.

My Aces are recent and the hanger is flat. But the axles are not straight. If you put all the surface of a wheel on the floor, the other wheel is going up and doesn't touch the ground..

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1705 on: November 28, 2019, 03:37:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace used to make their axles with a little extra metal in the middle to help lock in on grinds more, but this wasn't common knowledge, as I thought the same thing. This became a selling point issue and threw people off, so now they make them without the extra metal/hanger rocker.
[close]

My Aces are recent and the hanger is flat. But the axles are not straight. If you put all the surface of a wheel on the floor, the other wheel is going up and doesn't touch the ground..

You sure it's the axels and not a warped deck giving a bent axel illusion?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1706 on: November 28, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

ben degros said that aces have more meat near the center of the hanger so it could be that. or his trucks are just actually fucked
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1707 on: November 28, 2019, 03:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This. Or if your wheels are heavily used they can wear unevenly and have the same effect. I'm not saying you're axels aren't actually bent, but you gotta eliminate all the variables.   

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1708 on: November 28, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »
ben degros said that aces have more meat near the center of the hanger so it could be that. or his trucks are just actually fucked
those are the old design. they're supposed to be straight now

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1709 on: November 28, 2019, 08:56:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cheapest I have seen is $35.50 at Daddies for the blue ones, using their 15% coupon from their homepage

Thanks.