Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748030 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1710 on: November 28, 2019, 09:53:42 PM »
should i wait for the updated "55" or should i bite the bullet on a pair for $36 at my local?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

IanBZHD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1711 on: November 28, 2019, 10:01:32 PM »
I've skated a new set a 44's for 2 sessions now and did not tighten/loosen them to see if they would break in and start feeling good.
When do they get good? They just feel really tight and my board just wants to go straight.
I finally loosened them a half turn but they're not feeling much better. For the record my favorite truck is a loose Indy 149.

edit: also my front bushing started to bulge over the washer 20 minutes into the first sesh. Help.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:05:26 PM by IanBZHD »

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1712 on: November 28, 2019, 10:08:47 PM »
I feel like it took about a month of skating them for them to feel like my Indys did.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1713 on: November 29, 2019, 12:35:05 AM »
I've skated a new set a 44's for 2 sessions now and did not tighten/loosen them to see if they would break in and start feeling good.
When do they get good? They just feel really tight and my board just wants to go straight.
I finally loosened them a half turn but they're not feeling much better. For the record my favorite truck is a loose Indy 149.

edit: also my front bushing started to bulge over the washer 20 minutes into the first sesh. Help.

Depends on the "version". The v1s took about 3 to 5 sessions to break in properly. Annoying but manageable. The v2s with the stupid axle nuts never broke in (15+ sessions). Someone here said they had shorter kingpins. The V3s took a maximum of 3 sessions to feel perfect. Sadly the Ace washers are trash. They're too thick and too small. Changing them to Indy washers (or any "normal" washer) will make the trucks feel more broken in instantly and you don't have to worry about the washers digging into the bushings.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1714 on: November 29, 2019, 12:31:26 PM »

I setup some ACEs last week, 1/2 turn looser from stock to start then another half a turn a day or two later and left them. Feel great. I'm also in the loose truck camp.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1715 on: November 29, 2019, 01:00:54 PM »
Feel like weight comes in to play when discussing stock tightness or “loose” trucks. Not all created equally depending on the user. 

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1716 on: November 29, 2019, 05:10:03 PM »

Darryl Angel is not a selling point for any brand, and if Tershay were a smart man he'd put a highway's worth of distance between himself and that tool. Also, Sage rules but he's been on Aces for a while. Good recent additions: Max Palmer, Diego Todd, and Nick Boserio. And as you mentioned, Grosso himself. Tons of lower key NYC rippers on them as well.

There's definitely been real backlash against Indy over the last year, no doubt. And you can't chalk it up to Venture or Ace having superior marketing or better incentives over the monolith that is NHS. Something weird went down that shooed people away but no one's come out and said what it was, Grosso vaguely intimated it was "business" related and not mutual when he dipped, but that's about it. And given that a lot of people who've left (like Bobby Worrest) have lots of nice things to say about the TM (Rhino) it might be more top down, i.e NHS higher ups pulling some weird shit than the Indy brand itself.

When did Boserio get on? He’s not listed on the site and I had no idea.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1717 on: November 29, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Darryl Angel is not a selling point for any brand, and if Tershay were a smart man he'd put a highway's worth of distance between himself and that tool. Also, Sage rules but he's been on Aces for a while. Good recent additions: Max Palmer, Diego Todd, and Nick Boserio. And as you mentioned, Grosso himself. Tons of lower key NYC rippers on them as well.

There's definitely been real backlash against Indy over the last year, no doubt. And you can't chalk it up to Venture or Ace having superior marketing or better incentives over the monolith that is NHS. Something weird went down that shooed people away but no one's come out and said what it was, Grosso vaguely intimated it was "business" related and not mutual when he dipped, but that's about it. And given that a lot of people who've left (like Bobby Worrest) have lots of nice things to say about the TM (Rhino) it might be more top down, i.e NHS higher ups pulling some weird shit than the Indy brand itself.
[close]

When did Boserio get on? He’s not listed on the site and I had no idea.

Happened recently. I find this one to be pretty weird cause he was featured in a bunch of NHS mini clips that weren't shit (unlike all the product pillage crap). He was sort of their OJ poster boy for non-park dudes riding massive wheels etc. I wonder if he's still on OJ or cut all ties with NHS.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1718 on: November 29, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »
i pulled the trigger on some 55s today for $36 at the local to try on my 9' eagle. have them stock at the minute, but have some worn in bones hardcores on standby. taking them to the park for a spin and i really hope i love them cause they look fucking great.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
« Reply #1719 on: November 29, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace used to make their axles with a little extra metal in the middle to help lock in on grinds more, but this wasn't common knowledge, as I thought the same thing. This became a selling point issue and threw people off, so now they make them without the extra metal/hanger rocker.
[close]

My Aces are recent and the hanger is flat. But the axles are not straight. If you put all the surface of a wheel on the floor, the other wheel is going up and doesn't touch the ground..
[close]

You sure it's the axels and not a warped deck giving a bent axel illusion?
[close]

This. Or if your wheels are heavily used they can wear unevenly and have the same effect. I'm not saying you're axels aren't actually bent, but you gotta eliminate all the variables.

All axles in cast trucks are bent to some degree.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1720 on: November 29, 2019, 05:50:03 PM »
i pulled the trigger on some 55s today for $36 at the local to try on my 9' eagle. have them stock at the minute, but have some worn in bones hardcores on standby. taking them to the park for a spin and i really hope i love them cause they look fucking great.
report back, especially with that board combo. As others have said I’d break em in stock a few sessions.

texasplant

« Reply #1721 on: November 29, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »

Leave em stock, best bushings in the game for sure. Takes a while for them to break in.

On another note - the shop got a hold of a bunch of aftermarket Ace Low bushings... will these fit into standard 44s or is the geo different?

shpongle

• Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #1722 on: November 29, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »
ace bushings are awesome. I love the turning on them once you break them in. takes a week or two to get em really nice

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #1723 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Leave em stock, best bushings in the game for sure. Takes a while for them to break in.

On another note - the shop got a hold of a bunch of aftermarket Ace Low bushings... will these fit into standard 44s or is the geo different?

No, they are lows for a reason

Ace is nice because of the larger top bushing, more meat ob the turn. Small washer up top in order to not limit the max turn depth
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1724 on: December 01, 2019, 02:44:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
report back, especially with that board combo. As others have said I’d break em in stock a few sessions.

sorry for the late reply. took some time to get used to them after skating thunders but i really like the turn after the first session. all my transition tricks and landings feel 10x more stable but its gonna take some time to adjust to the pop feel. i can feel that my WB was shortened but in theory, it should make things easier for me. the weight difference is big i wont bitch about it. the one thing i didnt like was that my pop was lowered but i usually ride 1/8 risers so ill see how it feels with them when it stops raining.

session was ended really early after i got folded over a spine going for a BS axle stall with my phone in pocket. frame is bent and screen shattered. never skating with my phone again.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1725 on: December 01, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

sorry for the late reply. took some time to get used to them after skating thunders but i really like the turn after the first session. all my transition tricks and landings feel 10x more stable but its gonna take some time to adjust to the pop feel. i can feel that my WB was shortened but in theory, it should make things easier for me. the weight difference is big i wont bitch about it. the one thing i didnt like was that my pop was lowered but i usually ride 1/8 risers so ill see how it feels with them when it stops raining.

session was ended really early after i got folded over a spine going for a BS axle stall with my phone in pocket. frame is bent and screen shattered. never skating with my phone again.
the 15" wb isnt too much with the thunders? you went from 151 right? on the classic or shaped orange eagle

damn, sucks about your phone - i cant skate with that shit in my pocket.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1726 on: December 01, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
the 15" wb isnt too much with the thunders? you went from 151 right? on the classic or shaped orange eagle

damn, sucks about your phone - i cant skate with that shit in my pocket.

i was riding trucks too small with thunder 149s. im gonna buy some 151 hollow light real soon but the 149 pop felt so  crisp when i wasnt being a baby and ghost popping. im tall and a former two sport athlete so the amount of effort to get up isnt really an issue but i definitely had to think about popping o a 15" wb.

texasplant

« Reply #1727 on: December 01, 2019, 10:03:54 PM »
Can anyone post a photo of 55’s on an 8.5? Looking to run 56mm conical fulls but not sure if they will overhang too much. For reference I prefer 159 on 8.5 so a little overhang is good.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1728 on: December 02, 2019, 03:15:25 AM »
Can anyone post a photo of 55’s on an 8.5? Looking to run 56mm conical fulls but not sure if they will overhang too much. For reference I prefer 159 on 8.5 so a little overhang is good.
They sure overhang, not that noticeable on the pics tho. When you're on your board you'll see it

Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1729 on: December 02, 2019, 07:19:10 AM »
What Aces are the closest to Indy 169s?
What’s the weight diff?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1730 on: December 02, 2019, 07:27:56 AM »
What Aces are the closest to Indy 169s?
What’s the weight diff?
indy 169:  9.125" axle   411.0g weight    55mm height
ace 55:     9"axle           407.2g weight    53mm height

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1731 on: December 02, 2019, 07:32:04 AM »
You rule, thanks!

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #1732 on: December 03, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They sure overhang, not that noticeable on the pics tho. When you're on your board you'll see it

Dude, are you from Czech/Slovak Republic? I skate Charge boards from Darkslide guys, they are tight. If so, thats whats up!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1733 on: December 03, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dude, are you from Czech/Slovak Republic? I skate Charge boards from Darkslide guys, they are tight. If so, thats whats up!
I lived there for almost 3 years, left at the end of August. Darkslide was my local shop, I bought a lot of stuff there. Mainly Polar boards which I miss badly in here.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1734 on: December 08, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
)sorry for the repost just didnt think to post it here at first) :o

ace trucks have almost completely cured my truck madness.

tried 55s on a 15" wb antihero and the short wb trucks just dont work for me. im accustomed to popping off the end off the tail and with a shorter wb, im forced to pop a bit further into the tail which feels alien to me. not an issue i ever had on thunders which extend wheelbase. manuals feel unnatural, and the only thing that helped with it is that the trucks were loose for me. on the other hand, aces surfy feel is really fun and they feel perfect on tranny. i just dont think its worth it at the expense of me doing just about anything else. this experience has really put me off ever owning trucks that shorten wb which takes ace, indy (which i already wasnt a huge fan of), film, and theeve. all im stuck with at the moment is thunder and venture since they are longer wb trucks. fortunately for my wallet and sanity, there isnt much to try when i exclusively am riding 9+" boards. just 151, 161, and 6.1 currently.

i personally cant own a deck with less than a 14.75 wb. at my height it feels like i have shackles around my ankles. anyone else who needs a big wheelbase to feel comfy on board, i wouldnt suggest riding trucks that shorten wb. it feels really tippy on the nose and tail and will force you to make adjustments if you want decent pop. every truck has its benefits but if the wb of your setup can be a dealbreaker id definitely consider your trucks, just my two cents.

either i keep them for a future tranny only setup or sell them cause of buyers remorse. if anyone is interested, they are lightly, and i mean lightly used. barely any grind marks on them and only have been through around 5 sessions. can send pics. pm me if you are interested to negotiate a price

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1735 on: December 09, 2019, 12:53:11 AM »
Anyone know the beef that’s going on in So Cal Independent right now? I heard Indy screwed someone over and everyone is switching to Ace? Haha

Sounds crazy, I know. Just seeing if anyone knows the story

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1736 on: December 09, 2019, 01:11:18 AM »
Anyone know the beef that’s going on in So Cal Independent right now? I heard Indy screwed someone over and everyone is switching to Ace? Haha

People have been ditching Indy for Ace and DLX for about a year now in a pretty steady stream. Coast to coast, not just in California. As for why, no clue. But it's been pretty noticeable. I know that Indy has an enormous team, but if say, the same amount of people dipped on Spitfire in the same amount of time it would be a pretty big red flag. 

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #1737 on: December 09, 2019, 09:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

People have been ditching Indy for Ace and DLX for about a year now in a pretty steady stream. Coast to coast, not just in California. As for why, no clue. But it's been pretty noticeable. I know that Indy has an enormous team, but if say, the same amount of people dipped on Spitfire in the same amount of time it would be a pretty big red flag.

Saw B.A. this weekend skating Ace. So that's him, Grosso, and Julien all on Ace/Anti Hero. Shit's weird.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1738 on: December 09, 2019, 10:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Saw B.A. this weekend skating Ace. So that's him, Grosso, and Julien all on Ace/Anti Hero. Shit's weird.

Maybe next time one of you sees a pro, tell them to start busting Joey T's chops about the bending problem, which I can assure you is real as fuck if I can manage to bend a 55 skating nothing but curbs, small ledges, and bowls as badly as I do.  I know they'll replace it, but I don't want to replace my trucks; I want to take them down to the axles, which shouldn't be bending in the meantime.  Ace should understand that a lot of people want that out of their trucks and do something about it because it's a company of and for skateboarders. 

Also, it's time to take it to insta like a man again and start doing some sleuthing on why the old-head exodus from Indy; I was fine for a while, but there's just too much intimation of bad blood and the curiosity is starting to get really intense. 

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1739 on: December 09, 2019, 11:57:34 AM »

Crazy if true. BA's another guy who was on Indy since his start.

Also, it's time to take it to insta like a man again and start doing some sleuthing on why the old-head exodus from Indy; I was fine for a while, but there's just too much intimation of bad blood and the curiosity is starting to get really intense. 

Not just older dudes. Here's a list of Indy to other brands off the top of my head in the last year. If anyone else wants to add, feel free.

Nick Boserio - Indy to Ace
Max Palmer - Indy to Ace
Bobby Worrest - indy to Venture
Andy Roy - Indy to Ace
Donovan Piscopo  - Indy to Thunder
Grosso - Indy to Ace
Kader - Indy to Venture
Vincent Touzery - Indy to Venture
AO - Indy to Ace
Soy Panday - Indy to Film
Tyler Bledsoe - (Thunder to) Indy to Venture
Duffel - (Venture to) Indy to Venture
BA (?) - Indy to Ace

Some other names, but this is a bit earlier (early 2018?), Chris Jones and Aaron Herrington both from Indy to Thunder. John Rowe and John Devine both switched at some point to Venture and some of those Richmond VA guys rep Venture hard on Instagram (shitting on Indy in the process).