Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747312 times)

Diocletian

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1740 on: December 09, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »
In whatever it’s been...13-14 years I’m sure they’ve gotten plenty of feedback on how much their trucks bend and break from pros as much as customers. Combined, still not enough to solve the problem. If I was getting free trucks and they turned really good, I’d never deny a free box and stay on the team page *shrug*.

spacial_profiling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -88
« Reply #1741 on: December 09, 2019, 12:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Saw B.A. this weekend skating Ace. So that's him, Grosso, and Julien all on Ace/Anti Hero. Shit's weird.
[close]

Crazy if true. BA's another guy who was on Indy since his start.

Expand Quote
Also, it's time to take it to insta like a man again and start doing some sleuthing on why the old-head exodus from Indy; I was fine for a while, but there's just too much intimation of bad blood and the curiosity is starting to get really intense. 
[close]

Not just older dudes. Here's a list of Indy to other brands off the top of my head in the last year. If anyone else wants to add, feel free.

Nick Boserio - Indy to Ace
Max Palmer - Indy to Ace
Bobby Worrest - indy to Venture
Andy Roy - Indy to Ace
Donovan Piscopo  - Indy to Thunder
Grosso - Indy to Ace
Kader - Indy to Venture
Vincent Touzery - Indy to Venture
AO - Indy to Ace
Soy Panday - Indy to Film
Tyler Bledsoe - (Thunder to) Indy to Venture
Duffel - (Venture to) Indy to Venture
BA (?) - Indy to Ace

Some other names, but this is a bit earlier (early 2018?), Chris Jones and Aaron Herrington both from Indy to Thunder. John Rowe and John Devine both switched at some point to Venture and some of those Richmond VA guys rep Venture hard on Instagram (shitting on Indy in the process).

Fuck the Best, Ride the Rest

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1742 on: December 09, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
In whatever it’s been...13-14 years I’m sure they’ve gotten plenty of feedback on how much their trucks bend and break from pros as much as customers. Combined, still not enough to solve the problem. If I was getting free trucks and they turned really good, I’d never deny a free box and stay on the team page *shrug*.

Its been said a few times but these newer versions they are working on should be a fair bit stronger. Diff metal and more hanger support. They seem heavier as a result. At least the ones I felt up.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1743 on: December 09, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Saw B.A. this weekend skating Ace. So that's him, Grosso, and Julien all on Ace/Anti Hero. Shit's weird.
[close]

Crazy if true. BA's another guy who was on Indy since his start.

Expand Quote
Also, it's time to take it to insta like a man again and start doing some sleuthing on why the old-head exodus from Indy; I was fine for a while, but there's just too much intimation of bad blood and the curiosity is starting to get really intense. 
[close]

Not just older dudes. Here's a list of Indy to other brands off the top of my head in the last year. If anyone else wants to add, feel free.

Nick Boserio - Indy to Ace
Max Palmer - Indy to Ace
Bobby Worrest - indy to Venture
Andy Roy - Indy to Ace
Donovan Piscopo  - Indy to Thunder
Grosso - Indy to Ace
Kader - Indy to Venture
Vincent Touzery - Indy to Venture
AO - Indy to Ace
Soy Panday - Indy to Film
Tyler Bledsoe - (Thunder to) Indy to Venture
Duffel - (Venture to) Indy to Venture
BA (?) - Indy to Ace

Some other names, but this is a bit earlier (early 2018?), Chris Jones and Aaron Herrington both from Indy to Thunder. John Rowe and John Devine both switched at some point to Venture and some of those Richmond VA guys rep Venture hard on Instagram (shitting on Indy in the process).
Had no idea but apparently Sage is on Ace now to from Indy

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #1744 on: December 09, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
i pulled the trigger on some 55s today for $36 at the local to try on my 9' eagle. have them stock at the minute, but have some worn in bones hardcores on standby. taking them to the park for a spin and i really hope i love them cause they look fucking great.
[close]
report back, especially with that board combo. As others have said I’d break em in stock a few sessions.

Ran this setup on a trip earlier this year. Probably my favorite combo for transition skating that I've had but it still works fine for street stuff too. Was tempted to buy another 9" eagle but after my deck expired I stepped down to an 8.75, 8.5, and so on. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1745 on: December 09, 2019, 06:10:14 PM »

Sage has been on for a little while now. Think around the end of '17 I started seeing his name pop up in Ace related stuff. But still, the exodus from Indy is real. And that's the kind of gossip I wish we had more info for but I'm guessing that on account of larger business interests being involved (and the amount of cash NHS can throw around) we won't be getting the details anytime soon.

Closest thing to genuine shit talk was Andy Roy saying they (NHS) were bought out by a toy company and he didn't want to ride "Darth Vader trucks." It sounded like usual Andy Roy insanity at the time but within about 6 months all the Star Wars and TMNT and Garbage Pail Kids nostalgia collabs were happening at NHS. You have their new brand manager taking snaps with dudes in TMNT suits. Who knows, maybe we'll see Indy's being sold on Walmart completes before the Olympics air and all this will make more sense in hindsight.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1746 on: December 09, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sage has been on for a little while now. Think around the end of '17 I started seeing his name pop up in Ace related stuff. But still, the exodus from Indy is real. And that's the kind of gossip I wish we had more info for but I'm guessing that on account of larger business interests being involved (and the amount of cash NHS can throw around) we won't be getting the details anytime soon.

Closest thing to genuine shit talk was Andy Roy saying they (NHS) were bought out by a toy company and he didn't want to ride "Darth Vader trucks." It sounded like usual Andy Roy insanity at the time but within about 6 months all the Star Wars and TMNT and Garbage Pail Kids nostalgia collabs were happening at NHS. You have their new brand manager taking snaps with dudes in TMNT suits. Who knows, maybe we'll see Indy's being sold on Walmart completes before the Olympics air and all this will make more sense in hindsight.

He's probably referring to Bravo Sports (think Walmart boards) buying Dwindle Distribution.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106721.0

I would love to know what the hell is going on in the skate industry that has people so riled up that they actually leave the team. It really can't just be over the fact that Indy moved to China, right?

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1747 on: December 09, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »
When do the new 44s that Ben Degros mentioned recently come out?  Any ideas?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1748 on: December 09, 2019, 08:42:33 PM »
When do the new 44s that Ben Degros mentioned recently come out?  Any ideas?

spring 2020 supposedly
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1749 on: December 09, 2019, 08:43:56 PM »

He's probably referring to Bravo Sports (think Walmart boards) buying Dwindle Distribution.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106721.0

I would love to know what the hell is going on in the skate industry that has people so riled up that they actually leave the team. It really can't just be over the fact that Indy moved to China, right?

It was much before that, over a year ago at this point. Right before Santa Cruz did their first wave of Star Wars and TMNT crap,

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100869.0

I wouldn't buy any argument that it's some industrial protectionist thing. Ace have always been made in China. There's increasing rumblings about all DLX trucks being made in Mexico now. I've never heard any pro complain that China was the reason for the switch. Grosso even directly addressed that point in an instgram comment and said it was 'personal.'
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:47:11 PM by palelight »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1750 on: December 10, 2019, 02:02:24 AM »
Just to add. 2nd photo in this post, BA's holding an Antihero with Aces. Good enough for me.

Cordyceps

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1751 on: December 10, 2019, 02:55:18 AM »
My 2¢:

Photo 1: NHS forces BA to wear white pants.
Photo 2: Ace = You wanna hang around in men's rooms in just your boxers? Go ahead, Let your freak flag fly BA!
Divisa para el joven izquierdista: revolución y coño.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #1752 on: December 10, 2019, 03:08:21 AM »
Thinking it's anything to do with where the products are made is hilarious

Phelps is gone, people crawl in, people don't like what they see so they switch it up
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #1753 on: December 10, 2019, 05:44:02 AM »

He's talking bout a new model. Don't know if you guys already talked in here about it (Dont want to go through 60 pages...) Hopefully they fix the axle-bending issue
support your local ramp-tramp

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1754 on: December 10, 2019, 06:17:33 AM »
People need to post photos of these bent axles.
I'm calling bullshit.

I've seen pivot cups fucked up beyond normal but I've seen no more axle bend than you'd see in a thunder
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1755 on: December 10, 2019, 06:21:49 AM »
Especially when some of you say "I'm 250 lbs" we know you ain't jumping down shit. Sweating fucking cheeseburgers and fucking dedbull.

_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #1756 on: December 10, 2019, 06:23:16 AM »
I'm calling bullshit.

I've seen pivot cups fucked up beyond normal but I've seen no more axle bend than you'd see in a thunder

I had this problem with 55s and i dont know if it was the newer or older model. Never happened to me with 66s though...

I dont really mind the slightly bent axle but some of my friends were complaining.
The only thing i cant complain about is the soft baseplate.

Never broke an Indy baseplate but broke numerous Ace baseplates
support your local ramp-tramp

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #1757 on: December 10, 2019, 07:21:22 AM »
I had a set of aces that bent on first use, within two hours of skating. For the time they weren't bent I really loved them, and would love another set. Until the rumors of bending are totally dispelled, I can't see spending the money on them.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1758 on: December 10, 2019, 07:57:57 AM »
Wonder how they will call a 8.5" truck. 50?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #1759 on: December 10, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »
Who’s gone from Thunder to Ace and enjoyed the change? I need a short wb setup so Thunders, as much as I enjoy them for their merits, severely limit my board options. It seems like with Aces I could not worry about wb and length as much.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:54:07 AM by baustin »

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1760 on: December 10, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
Who’s gone from Thunder to Ace and enjoyed the change? I need a short wb setup so Thunders, as much as I enjoy them for their merits, severely limit my board options. It seems like with Aces I could not worry about wb and length as much.

I went from Thunder to Ace nearly 2 years ago. I found that the biggest thing I had to get used to was the wheelbase change. I basically had to go from riding boards with a 14.25 wb to 14.75 to feel comfortable, as the difference in wheelbase is about half an inch.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1761 on: December 10, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
I'm calling bullshit.

Maybe the "bent" word is confusing because it refers to a specific problem. The axles on my Aces 55s have a slight curvature, meaning that wheels don't touch the floor with their full surface. It's especially visible with large surface wheels like the conical full. But they are not bent like the axle goes 45 degrees up outside the hanger. To be fair, my Thunder Hollow Lights 151 have also this slight bending, I can see it when looking through the hollow axle. Personally I'm not annoyed by this bending, until recently I was thinking that it was a unique feature of the trucks... Maybe I was misled because the hanger was bent on purpose in previous versions.

Overall, I think that a lot of people are reporting the bending on Aces because they principally ride large trucks such as 55s or 66s, where it is visible. I'm not sure the same radius of curvature would be noticeable on 33s.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1762 on: December 10, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm calling bullshit.
[close]

Maybe the "bent" word is confusing because it refers to a specific problem. The axles on my Aces 55s have a slight curvature, meaning that wheels don't touch the floor with their full surface. It's especially visible with large surface wheels like the conical full. But they are not bent like the axle goes 45 degrees up outside the hanger. To be fair, my Thunder Hollow Lights 151 have also this slight bending, I can see it when looking through the hollow axle. Personally I'm not annoyed by this bending, until recently I was thinking that it was a unique feature of the trucks... Maybe I was misled because the hanger was bent on purpose in previous versions.

Overall, I think that a lot of people are reporting the bending on Aces because they principally ride large trucks such as 55s or 66s, where it is visible. I'm not sure the same radius of curvature would be noticeable on 33s.

pics? those 151s are next on my list
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1763 on: December 10, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I went from Thunder to Ace nearly 2 years ago. I found that the biggest thing I had to get used to was the wheelbase change. I basically had to go from riding boards with a 14.25 wb to 14.75 to feel comfortable, as the difference in wheelbase is about half an inch.

I rotate between Thunder and Aces. There is always a bit of an awkward timing adjustment with my pop but only for a little while. I use Thunders with smaller wheelbases and smaller wheels. I find they both have a quick initial turn but Ace keep going and have an extra swerve in their turn which is great while skating round wall (pools and bowls). Thunder def feel better (harder) on the grind. Some people think Ace nose and tail slide better, due to where the hanger sits. Both feel stable at speed unlike Indy (for me at least). If I had to commit to one truck right now, it would be 151s as Thunder have a slight edge in QC and the size works better for the boards I skate. (Too big of a gap between 44s and 55s) Maybe that will change when Ace put out their new trucks in Spring?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1764 on: December 10, 2019, 10:58:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I rotate between Thunder and Aces. There is always a bit of an awkward timing adjustment with my pop but only for a little while. I use Thunders with smaller wheelbases and smaller wheels. I find they both have a quick initial turn but Ace keep going and have an extra swerve in their turn which is great while skating round wall (pools and bowls). Thunder def feel better (harder) on the grind. Some people think Ace nose and tail slide better, due to where the hanger sits. Both feel stable at speed unlike Indy (for me at least). If I had to commit to one truck right now, it would be 151s as Thunder have a slight edge in QC and the size works better for the boards I skate. (Too big of a gap between 44s and 55s) Maybe that will change when Ace put out their new trucks in Spring?

Nailed it. It's that swerve that makes all the difference in bowls - it's saved my ass so many times on recovery or last minute line changes (which is why they are so good ridden loose).

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #1765 on: December 10, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nailed it. It's that swerve that makes all the difference in bowls - it's saved my ass so many times on recovery or last minute line changes (which is why they are so good ridden loose).

Thanks, maybe I'll pick up a pair of Aces for when I end up with longer wb boards my Thunders don't jive with.

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1766 on: December 10, 2019, 11:14:49 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm calling bullshit.
[close]

Does that happen with brand new wheels? It could be just the outer edge wearing faster than the inner edge.

I also have slightly bent Thunder hollow lights (148). The bending is unnoticeable when rinding.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1767 on: December 10, 2019, 11:38:37 PM »
What are peoples preference when it comes to 55's vs. 159? Slightly wider, heavier and lower. Tossing between these two for my next 8.6 but not sure about the extra weight/extreme hot-rodding (which I do like, to an extent).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:41:57 PM by texasplant »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1768 on: December 11, 2019, 07:52:34 AM »
Wonder how they will call a 8.5" truck. 50?

Last I heard (from a  shop owner who talks to someone at Ace):

44s are going to be 8.25" (I felt up a prototype and they were indeed 8.25")
55s - 8.5"
66s - 8.75"
77 - 9 or 9.125"

I'm guessing these are already in the hands of some of the riders for testing. So if you know an Ace Pilot ask 'em.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1769 on: December 11, 2019, 07:55:50 AM »
Interesting... BTW I just read on another thread that Aces = big wheels, anybody can confirm this?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.