Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747116 times)

pops and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jtrpma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
  • PMA
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1770 on: December 11, 2019, 08:12:28 AM »
Interesting... BTW I just read on another thread that Aces = big wheels, anybody can confirm this?

What do you mean by aces = big wheels?

PMA

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1771 on: December 11, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »
That, because of geometry, Aces perform best with big wheels. 54mm and up. Read that somewhere, wonder if is true.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #1772 on: December 11, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Wonder how they will call a 8.5" truck. 50?
[close]

Last I heard (from a  shop owner who talks to someone at Ace):

44s are going to be 8.25" (I felt up a prototype and they were indeed 8.25")
55s - 8.5"
66s - 8.75"
77 - 9 or 9.125"

I'm guessing these are already in the hands of some of the riders for testing. So if you know an Ace Pilot ask 'em.

That's good news to me since I mostly skate 8.125 or 8.25 occasionally, the current 44s are just a little bit out of my comfort zone for an 8.125. I'm stoked everyone's making 8.25 trucks these days, such a versatile size.

Microforrest

• Rep: -19
« Reply #1773 on: December 11, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
So stupid to ditch the 8.35" hanger width on the 44's. Now I gotta cop as many as I can before they're all gone.
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1774 on: December 11, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
That, because of geometry, Aces perform best with big wheels. 54mm and up. Read that somewhere, wonder if is true.

I wouldn't say they perform any better or any worse with big or small wheels; what's impressive is that at 52mm tall you can rock 54/56mm wheels and not be plagued by wheel bite. I've an ACE 44/54mm setup and if I put those 54s on my thunders or ventures it would be wheelbite death all the time. Degros kinda pointed it out with his pinch discussion, how the hanger moves sort of tucking the wheels under before they hit the deck vs other trucks just tilting right onto the wheel.

So stupid to ditch the 8.35" hanger width on the 44's. Now I gotta cop as many as I can before they're all gone.

Mini Logos are there for you!

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1775 on: December 11, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Wonder how they will call a 8.5" truck. 50?
[close]

Last I heard (from a  shop owner who talks to someone at Ace):

44s are going to be 8.25" (I felt up a prototype and they were indeed 8.25")
55s - 8.5"
66s - 8.75"
77 - 9 or 9.125"

I'm guessing these are already in the hands of some of the riders for testing. So if you know an Ace Pilot ask 'em.

This the same info you had from the last time we were all talking about it, when you posted the pics of the newer matte black prototypes?

Generally wondering if these design changes you laid out, the forged baseplate, hollow kingpin, thicker hanger, were redesigns based on rider feedback or something else? Ace and Joey T seem like the sort to put a lot of stock in rider feedback (considering that was a big part of why he left Indy).

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1776 on: December 12, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »
How are 44s on 8.375 Quasi and Polar shapes?

I normally ride Thunders with Quasi 8.0s and that shapes really similar to their 8.375 and I’m worried that running Aces will have shitty pop.

Polars have less fingers of flat and the kick shapes seem to favor Ace/Indy while Thunder/Venture would be way too hard/take too much effort to get the tail down.

Am I right about this?  I’m looking to setup a wider board with carvy trucks for my local bowls.  I’m trying to stay around 8.3 and not too high (52-53.5mm) so that I can still feel comfortable in the street section with it.  The perfect situation would be being able to use it as my only setup but if not whatever... a 2 board quiver isn’t bad.

I’m also considering DLX 8.25 Fulls but I’m looking more at the other two shapes currently.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1777 on: December 12, 2019, 10:44:40 PM »
The Polar 8.375” works very nicely with Aces. It’s a bit too short for me though with the 14.375” wheelbase. But if that’s something you prefer then I’d say it works really well.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1778 on: December 12, 2019, 11:22:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Who’s gone from Thunder to Ace and enjoyed the change? I need a short wb setup so Thunders, as much as I enjoy them for their merits, severely limit my board options. It seems like with Aces I could not worry about wb and length as much.
[close]

I went from Thunder to Ace nearly 2 years ago. I found that the biggest thing I had to get used to was the wheelbase change. I basically had to go from riding boards with a 14.25 wb to 14.75 to feel comfortable, as the difference in wheelbase is about half an inch.

I was riding thunder for like from t4 to 02. I still rode the 02 teams but I was just cruising around everyday skitching to the clinic. Then I switched to Indy in 2016 they were good for me at 139. I got my tricks back. Then I got 44s for my shuv nose and they felt like a thunderish.

Its fuckin perfect for me with the short bones top bushings and stock barrel.
I'm not bending trucks skating at 41 I'm about loose truck manny pad ledge activities and switch hill bombs. Holding on to panel trucks.

The thunder turning is not like ace though.

I hope they don't Fuck up the truck. I'm on stage 2.

Love them more than dabs and I dab all day
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Woos

« Reply #1779 on: December 13, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
People need to post photos of these bent axles.
I'm calling bullshit.

I've seen pivot cups fucked up beyond normal but I've seen no more axle bend than you'd see in a thunder

I saw a skinny/short teenage kid literally snap an axel clean off a pair of Ace 44s at my local park.  If I remember right it was going up a little grass gap/euro gap thing we have.  Nothing crazy.  He said he’s never even bent an axel before, wish I had a picture but I promise you it happened.

The Polar 8.375” works very nicely with Aces. It’s a bit too short for me though with the 14.375” wheelbase. But if that’s something you prefer then I’d say it works really well.

I thought they have a 14.5” wheelbase?  My logic is that I like a 32-32.375 length and 14-14.25” wheelbase with Thunders/Ventures.  The Aces on a 14.5 would feel like DLX trucks on a 14.0”.  If it’s 14.375 that might be too short with Aces for me.

I’d go longer but I really struggle with manuals with a longer wheelbase.  Obviously this board would mainly be for transition but I want to try to get it to work everywhere.  If I struggle with it outside of the bowl then I’ll probably step up to an 8.6-8.75 and a 14.75-15” wheelbase and some 55s and just skate two different setups.

Also I’m confused... the actual height of Aces is 53mm right?  I’ve noticed Ace advertises it as 52mm.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Who’s gone from Thunder to Ace and enjoyed the change? I need a short wb setup so Thunders, as much as I enjoy them for their merits, severely limit my board options. It seems like with Aces I could not worry about wb and length as much.
[close]

I went from Thunder to Ace nearly 2 years ago. I found that the biggest thing I had to get used to was the wheelbase change. I basically had to go from riding boards with a 14.25 wb to 14.75 to feel comfortable, as the difference in wheelbase is about half an inch.
[close]

I was riding thunder for like from t4 to 02. I still rode the 02 teams but I was just cruising around everyday skitching to the clinic. Then I switched to Indy in 2016 they were good for me at 139. I got my tricks back. Then I got 44s for my shuv nose and they felt like a thunderish.

I'm not bending trucks skating at 41 I'm about loose truck manny pad ledge activities and switch hill bombs. Holding on to panel trucks.

710 420 DABBERDOG bLaZe iT homeslice-of-cheese! !!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:13:15 PM by Woos »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1780 on: December 13, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm calling bullshit.

I've seen pivot cups fucked up beyond normal but I've seen no more axle bend than you'd see in a thunder
[close]

I saw a skinny/short teenage kid literally snap an axel clean off a pair of Ace 44s at my local park.  If I remember right it was going up a little grass gap/euro gap thing we have.  Nothing crazy.  He said he’s never even bent an axel before, wish I had a picture but I promise you it happened.

Expand Quote
[close]

I thought they have a 14.5” wheelbase?  My logic is that I like a 32-32.375 length and 14-14.25” wheelbase with Thunders/Ventures.  The Aces on a 14.5 would feel like DLX trucks on a 14.0”.  If it’s 14.375 that might be too short with Aces for me.

I’d go longer but I really struggle with manuals with a longer wheelbase.  Obviously this board would mainly be for transition but I want to try to get it to work everywhere.  If I struggle with it outside of the bowl then I’ll probably step up to an 8.6-8.75 and a 14.75-15” wheelbase and some 55s and just skate two different setups.

Also I’m confused... the actual height of Aces is 53mm right?  I’ve noticed Ace advertises it as 52mm.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Polar states it is 14.5" but mine was 14.375". Same for the 8.5" and it's been discussed here a few times and others have confirmed that theirs has also been 14.375".

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1781 on: December 13, 2019, 05:56:16 PM »
Quick opinions - would people go 44 or 55 on 8.6? Its just too narrow or too wide either way.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1782 on: December 13, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »
Tough call. The DLX 8.62 is my favorite popsicle shape. So much so I do both 44s and 55s. One for tranny one for street. If I had to choose only one it would be 44s.

Woos

« Reply #1783 on: December 13, 2019, 09:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm calling bullshit.

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Polar states it is 14.5" but mine was 14.375". Same for the 8.5" and it's been discussed here a few times and others have confirmed that theirs has also been 14.375".

Thanks that explains my brother’s Theories 8.5. Same thing.

I wish my local shops carried Quasi and Polar. I might have to drive an hour and a half or just risk it.

Quick opinions - would people go 44 or 55 on 8.6? Its just too narrow or too wide either way.

55 for most... depending on the woodshop/shape.

44s in 8.5s is even pushing it. I’d probably go Indy with an 8.5.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 10:01:47 PM by Woos »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1784 on: December 13, 2019, 10:57:43 PM »
Tough call. The DLX 8.62 is my favorite popsicle shape. So much so I do both 44s and 55s. One for tranny one for street. If I had to choose only one it would be 44s.

Why your fave shape? Why the 44s better?

Up until the last....7 years or so (making shit up, but sounds right in my head) I felt like it was common to see overhang, boards larger than the trucks by .25” ish. The 8.25 on 149s seems like the most common setup since then. I like the way wide trucks look, and if I was trying to lock into a bunch of rails or ledges I’d go that way. But sadly I just want to try and flip my board a little and go back inside. Narrower trucks seem to help that mission. I really have no clue what I’m talking about and had a set up with 159s on 8.25 and flipped that as easy as any board I’ve had. (Exception was 3flips. They’d go but it was a weird rotation).

Slugboi22

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1785 on: December 14, 2019, 12:55:22 AM »
44s definitely. Fast few boards I’ve had have all been 8.5/8.6 with 44s and they’ve been great.

Woos

« Reply #1786 on: December 14, 2019, 02:00:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Up until the last....7 years or so (making shit up, but sounds right in my head) I felt like it was common to see overhang, boards larger than the trucks by .25” ish. The 8.25 on 149s seems like the most common setup since then. I like the way wide trucks look, and if I was trying to lock into a bunch of rails or ledges I’d go that way. But sadly I just want to try and flip my board a little and go back inside. Narrower trucks seem to help that mission. I really have no clue what I’m talking about and had a set up with 159s on 8.25 and flipped that as easy as any board I’ve had. (Exception was 3flips. They’d go but it was a weird rotation).

If you flip that set up around a lot then 44s would be better (for most people).  55s would be better for transition, gaps, cruising, rails, ledges, etc (basically everything else).

The reason you see longer truck to board ratios these days is mainly due to the profession in handrails.  People also probably do it because they know it’ll look cooler when they post a photo to Slap/IG sadly.

You also used to see a lot of trucks smaller than boards because most companies didn’t make an 8.25” truck and 8.25s were the most common shape up until recently so people would run 8” trucks with them.

I should mention that wheel choice has a lot to do with what size trucks you get. For example Radial Slims, Tablets, Bones V2s, and Bones V3s are pretty damn narrow so running that wheel on trucks smaller than your board would make it pretty damn magic carpet-like.  My 8.0s with Thunder 147s and 52mm Radial Slims has a pretty decent sized gap from the edge of the deck to the outer side  of my wheels while my brother’s 8.5 with Indy 147s and 54mm Ricta Clouds has the wheels and deck essentially flush.

If you ride a narrowish wheel and an 8.6-8.75 Aces are an awkward option.  That’s why I’d lean more towards Indies if I liked a fairly flush truck.  You can go Forged Hollow if you want a truck similar in height to Aces. They turn pretty damn close in my opinion and they are only half a millimeter taller. The biggest difference is the extra 1/4” in wheelbase but you could change your deck shape to fix that.

I feel like going above 8.5 with 44s is really pushing it unless you ride extra spacers and some wide ass wheels but that’s just my personal preference.  55s on an 8.6 also seems too much for me.  If I’m running trucks smaller than the deck I try to keep it around a .125” difference or less.  If I’m going bigger my max is .25” (unless it’s a cruiser).  That’s why at 8.6 I’d go Indy 149s if I wanted to flip that setup around a lot.  If I was set on Aces I feel like I’d step down to an 8.375 or an 8.5.  I’m sure you could find a similar shape in 8.5 and that shouldn’t be that hard to switch to.

Once again this is obviously my personal mindset and everyone’s different.  I mean look at magic carpet surfers like Reynolds.  I just couldn’t do that shit.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:09:56 AM by Woos »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1787 on: December 14, 2019, 02:04:02 AM »
44s work fine on 8.75 too if it tapers

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1788 on: December 14, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »

Good question. I was mostly on 8.5s and I think Deluxe came out with a the 8.62 (years ago) with a killer graphic so I decided to give it a try. At the time I was flirting with longer wheelbases and riding 149s or 159s. It just became a perfect all round shape for me. Until I started messing with Ace ha ha...

I was also pretty into having my axle up to .25" wider than the stated deck width, as it usually lined my wheels up nicely . Then I started messing with shaped decks. Particularly early 90s shapes. I was around in the early 90s and I realized that our trucks were almost always a fair bit narrower than our boards and if they lined up it would be over the back axle. So I went  back to that. There's a limit  to how much truck I can handle and its 159/151. Ace 55s are just a little too much for me to do any form of flip trick with. When Ace finally come out with an 8.75" truck I'll be set rotating those with Thunder 151s. I could comfortably skate that size truck on anything from 8.5" popsicles to 9.5"+ shaped boards.

Until then I'll use 44s on the street.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1789 on: December 14, 2019, 12:51:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good question. I was mostly on 8.5s and I think Deluxe came out with a the 8.62 (years ago) with a killer graphic so I decided to give it a try. At the time I was flirting with longer wheelbases and riding 149s or 159s. It just became a perfect all round shape for me. Until I started messing with Ace ha ha...

I was also pretty into having my axle up to .25" wider than the stated deck width, as it usually lined my wheels up nicely . Then I started messing with shaped decks. Particularly early 90s shapes. I was around in the early 90s and I realized that our trucks were almost always a fair bit narrower than our boards and if they lined up it would be over the back axle. So I went  back to that. There's a limit  to how much truck I can handle and its 159/151. Ace 55s are just a little too much for me to do any form of flip trick with. When Ace finally come out with an 8.75" truck I'll be set rotating those with Thunder 151s. I could comfortably skate that size truck on anything from 8.5" popsicles to 9.5"+ shaped boards.

ace 55's killed my flip tricks. im really waiting on those 161 hollow lights to drop but until then, im in the 8.75 axle boat
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1790 on: December 14, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

ace 55's killed my flip tricks. im really waiting on those 161 hollow lights to drop but until then, im in the 8.75 axle boat

I don’t flip my board aside from the odd kickflip, how is 55 on everything else? I skate mostly tranny/slappies and ledges here and there. Are 55’s the better choice? I still want nice pop for higher ledges ect.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1791 on: December 14, 2019, 07:51:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t flip my board aside from the odd kickflip, how is 55 on everything else? I skate mostly tranny/slappies and ledges here and there. Are 55’s the better choice? I still want nice pop for higher ledges ect.

55s are godly on transition. i personally would only use em for tranny and slappies. the pop had such a lower maximum yield due to the wheelbase being shortened. i always ride around 15 wb boards and quickly found out i dont like it shorter than a thunder. often i would jump higher than the board could physically pop cause the tail hit too soon. i knew immediately my pop was being limited on flat alone so there was no point of trying anything but baby ledges.

i retired the idea of riding aces for street but everybody is different. if you prefer quick and snappy pop, give it a shot. pretty sure Boserio and Dane Brady run 55s and they still rip. i just know me and short wb anything arent gonna get along
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 07:57:42 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Woos

« Reply #1792 on: December 15, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I’d go 55 then. Your pop won’t change between the two other than they weigh a bit more but it’s not anything crazy.

I’d just recommend a board with hardly any space between the kicks and bolts.  Also a semi-steep kick will help since they’re not very high nor very low trucks. They’re right in the middle.

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #1793 on: December 15, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
Anyone else has problems with loose kingpins on new aces.
My kingpins rattle in the baseplate until I really tighten them up.

PMA

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1794 on: December 15, 2019, 08:35:24 PM »
happened to me on the last set, both trucks. the ones i'm currently skating are alright... so far

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #1795 on: December 16, 2019, 12:10:03 AM »

Yeah mine've been like that for a while. Had no idea until your post that's what was causing the noise.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #1796 on: December 16, 2019, 12:28:32 PM »
Mine was like this when I started too.  I noticed the top bushing cup was offset too so I had to center it before tightening it.

I made a quick review here:

I really like them. They turn super sharp but I love the feeling.

buckfitchesmetgoney

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1797 on: December 18, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
How do Aces turn in cold weather? I have always switched to Bones bushings with indys during the winter because they don't seem to freeze on me. Would I have to swap out the Ace bushings as well?

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #1798 on: December 18, 2019, 11:54:55 AM »
Better than indies but still seize up.

I switched my washer for Indy washers because they are thinner, so the extra looseness comes without kingpin nuts falling off

PMA

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1799 on: December 18, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah mine've been like that for a while. Had no idea until your post that's what was causing the noise.

My KPs are loose also but I kind of like it. Might have something to do with the softer metal they use (for now).