Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748083 times)

shingles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1800 on: December 19, 2019, 02:25:47 AM »
Anyone else has problems with loose kingpins on new aces.
My kingpins rattle in the baseplate until I really tighten them up.

Had this with almost every Ace, the rattling noise doesn't bother me though...
support your local ramp-tramp

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #1801 on: December 19, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
How do Aces turn in cold weather? I have always switched to Bones bushings with indys during the winter because they don't seem to freeze on me. Would I have to swap out the Ace bushings as well?

I skated them 30 degree weather for a few hours last week and although they were a little sticky, I thought they turned just fine.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1802 on: December 20, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »
Just got my first Aces.  I’ve tried them on other people’s boards but I tend to prefer Thunders and Venture. I feel like they favor my manual-centric style and the shapes I ride.

However I wanted a carvy board for curbs and tranny so I bit the bullet.

I also got some 53mm Conical Full 99a F4s to go with them (usually ride 52mm Radial Slim 99a F4s lately) and I’m pumped to try them out.  Probably going with a Polar 8.375 deck (I’ve been riding Quasi 8.0s lately).

I know it has been discussed heavily but I’d like to hear some more opinions...
Should I invest in some aftermarket bushings and/or pivot cups right away?  And if so which ones?

I have some spare Bones Hardcore Medium bottoms and Hard tops sitting around since I’ve been riding the opposite combo on my Thunder 147 HLs (dual medium was too bitey that low).  However it sounds like people don’t like Bones Bushings with Aces so I am considering some Krux bushings due to what I’ve read. They are super cheap and come with pivot cups so that sounds interesting.

Sorry for beating a dead horse.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1803 on: December 20, 2019, 10:49:06 PM »
Just got my first Aces.  I’ve tried them on other people’s boards but I tend to prefer Thunders and Venture. I feel like they favor my manual-centric style and the shapes I ride.

I also got some 53mm Conical Full 99a F4s to go with them (usually ride 52mm Radial Slim 99a F4s lately) and I’m pumped to try them out.  Probably going with a Polar 8.375 deck (I’ve been riding Quasi 8.0s lately).

Should I invest in some aftermarket bushings and/or pivot cups right away?  And if so which ones?

I have some spare Bones Hardcore Medium bottoms and Hard tops sitting around since I’ve been riding the opposite combo on my Thunder 147 HLs (dual medium was too bitey that low).  However it sounds like people don’t like Bones Bushings with Aces so I am considering some Krux bushings due to what I’ve read. They are super cheap and come with pivot cups so that sounds interesting.

Aces are good stock, the bushings take a while to break in but are worth it. Had my stock ones in for a while now and they don't fall apart like indy stock bushings that last me a couple months max.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1804 on: December 21, 2019, 12:06:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Aces are good stock, the bushings take a while to break in but are worth it. Had my stock ones in for a while now and they don't fall apart like indy stock bushings that last me a couple months max.

Yes. Don't fuck with the bushings on Aces. You're only doing yourself a disservice by doing that.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1805 on: December 21, 2019, 03:35:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes. Don't fuck with the bushings on Aces. You're only doing yourself a disservice by doing that.
I second everything that's been said. Don't mess with them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1806 on: December 21, 2019, 06:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I rode my stock aces with unadjusted kingpin nut for about 30 seconds. Front and back top bushings popped out from under the washer. Swapped them for Bones hards leaving top and bottom washers in. Cranked the kingpin nut down to flush and haven’t touched em since.

While I want to believe everyone that stock Ace bushings are great. I don’t have enough time to fuck with them and keep popping the bushings back in place. With how early the sun sets currently, I get maybe 40 minutes twice a week to skate. I want to jump on and go.

Try the bones worst case you can pop the stock back in i you don’t like it.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #1807 on: December 21, 2019, 07:09:11 AM »
When are the new Ace's coming out?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1808 on: December 21, 2019, 07:11:02 AM »
When are the new Ace's coming out?
spring 20 rumored I thought? No official word

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #1809 on: December 21, 2019, 07:45:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I rode my stock aces with unadjusted kingpin nut for about 30 seconds. Front and back top bushings popped out from under the washer. Swapped them for Bones hards leaving top and bottom washers in. Cranked the kingpin nut down to flush and haven’t touched em since.

While I want to believe everyone that stock Ace bushings are great. I don’t have enough time to fuck with them and keep popping the bushings back in place. With how early the sun sets currently, I get maybe 40 minutes twice a week to skate. I want to jump on and go.

I had the same thing happen to me with my Indy’s so I used an extra set of the bottom washers for the conical bushings on the top and I stopped chewing up the top bushing. Also lessened squeaking. I think bushings move around in a larger area than the stock washers allow for and the lip on the edge tears them up pretty quick. Maybe you could try the same with your Ace trucks.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:47:16 AM by GardenSkater77 »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1810 on: December 21, 2019, 01:40:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I had the same thing happen to me with my Indy’s so I used an extra set of the bottom washers for the conical bushings on the top and I stopped chewing up the top bushing. Also lessened squeaking. I think bushings move around in a larger area than the stock washers allow for and the lip on the edge tears them up pretty quick. Maybe you could try the same with your Ace trucks.

Oh yeah. I have to take some of what I've said back. On most of my Aces I've changed the washers from stock to Indy washers. First two sets I got used with no Ace bushings or washers at all so I got some Ace bushings and used whatever washers I had around. Most of the ones I got after that didn't feel turny enough with Ace washers so I changed them to Indy washers and like them much better. Haven't experienced any popping or washers digging into the bushings. I might have at least some Ace washers on some of my Aces left. I dunno anymore. I've lost track of my trucks. :D

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1811 on: December 21, 2019, 11:24:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh yeah. I have to take some of what I've said back. On most of my Aces I've changed the washers from stock to Indy washers. First two sets I got used with no Ace bushings or washers at all so I got some Ace bushings and used whatever washers I had around. Most of the ones I got after that didn't feel turny enough with Ace washers so I changed them to Indy washers and like them much better. Haven't experienced any popping or washers digging into the bushings. I might have at least some Ace washers on some of my Aces left. I dunno anymore. I've lost track of my trucks. :D
I skate my aces stock and never had problems with my bushings. Pivot cups, axles slips and loose kingpins, got em all but I still prefer them over indy.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1812 on: December 23, 2019, 06:49:43 AM »
How do Aces turn in cold weather? I have always switched to Bones bushings with indys during the winter because they don't seem to freeze on me. Would I have to swap out the Ace bushings as well?

they're basically the same as bones
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Woos

« Reply #1813 on: December 23, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
Just a heads up to future buyers of Aces.

Try to buy them in person. The quality control sucks. My brother bought mine online and you can tell they used a different metal formula or something in each of the axels. Completely different color and the threading is weird.  One of the trucks I have 2-3 lines of tread peaking out of the nuts and other it’s hardly even 1.

It’s not a huge deal so I’m not going to return them but it’s a bit annoying.  I think it’s due to the rounded ends of the hanger as they measure correctly and everything. Weird.

Also about the Indy washers thing. Do you recommend replacing both the top and bottoms?

I have some spare ones sitting around. Should I swap them out right away and are there any downsides to doing it?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:58:44 PM by Woos »

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1814 on: December 23, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
I got my first set of 44, tried skating them stock twice, lasted less than 10 minutes each time, way too tight.. I then swapped out for some old broken in indy stock bushings and holy shit, I love them... So good..

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1815 on: December 23, 2019, 04:36:43 PM »
Honestly before they broke all the way in I’d of said to do the Indy washers but now it’s a little much, worst case I’d do Indy top washer. But after they break in stock feels best. Takes forever.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1816 on: December 23, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »
i usually do away with washers altogether, but now i'm using the bones washers for the top, no bottom, and stock bushings. it feels like there's more pop. not sure if it's my imagination. can't get it as loose to my liking with the nuts flush, so threadlocker will be needed

Woos

« Reply #1817 on: December 23, 2019, 05:26:44 PM »
I decided to start with stock everything other than the top washer. I swapped that out because it just seemed to fit/turn better.  The way the Ace one curves into the bushing makes it seem tighter and I could see it being harder on the bushings and shortening the life.

I didn’t see a reason to change the bottom one though as they’re essentially the same thing.

I’ll also try them with no washers, with Bones Bushings and the Bones washer, and stock everything but no bottom washer and a Bones too washer.

I was also thinking that a Bones washer on the bottom and Indy washer on the top might be interesting. Have any of you tried that?

Diocletian

« Reply #1818 on: December 23, 2019, 05:50:18 PM »
Even when you inspect them at a shop you’ll notice their conical axle facings are sloppy as hell. Making washers sit uneven against it, and therefore making the contact point on the bearing wonky. One side will have less conical to it, the other more. Who knows if that’s the case for the axles being uneven, or if the axles themselves aren’t centered. Or both. I always had to run a different amount of axle washers on each side so my nuts were flush evenly and not one side more prone to scraping and stripping the threads. Add in the soft metal, loose kingpins, bent axles, broken pivots, gummy stock bushings that pop out of the washers...Ace lost me. I’m not even stoked on the new designs, something will go wrong with them. Yep, grinch here. Drove me back to Indy, hate to say it.

Woos

« Reply #1819 on: December 24, 2019, 02:03:17 AM »
Even when you inspect them at a shop you’ll notice their conical axle facings are sloppy as hell. Making washers sit uneven against it, and therefore making the contact point on the bearing wonky. One side will have less conical to it, the other more. Who knows if that’s the case for the axles being uneven, or if the axles themselves aren’t centered. Or both. I always had to run a different amount of axle washers on each side so my nuts were flush evenly and not one side more prone to scraping and stripping the threads. Add in the soft metal, loose kingpins, bent axles, broken pivots, gummy stock bushings that pop out of the washers...Ace lost me. I’m not even stoked on the new designs, something will go wrong with them. Yep, grinch here. Drove me back to Indy, hate to say it.

I’m gonna ride the fuck out of this pair before judging but I’m already skeptical and I’ve been for a while but I need to see what the hype is all about.  I also prefer a 50-53mm truck so that intrigued me.

I’m really a Thunder guy but I can’t stand how they carve in bowls and also how they manual.  Back when I road Destructo Lows and Zoo York (Chapman) boards as a kid I felt that the manual point was perfect.  I kind of would like to put together a throwback setup like that even though I know there are better trucks.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:06:42 AM by Woos »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1820 on: December 24, 2019, 03:26:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m gonna ride the fuck out of this pair before judging but I’m already skeptical and I’ve been for a while but I need to see what the hype is all about.  I also prefer a 50-53mm truck so that intrigued me.

I’m really a Thunder guy but I can’t stand how they carve in bowls and also how they manual.  Back when I road Destructo Lows and Zoo York (Chapman) boards as a kid I felt that the manual point was perfect.  I kind of would like to put together a throwback setup like that even though I know there are better trucks
For me is more like the truck which works better for you. I was a die hard Indy guy but then I realized that my kickflips weren't that good. Of. Course I had to blame sth because is never our fault so it had to be the trucks. Then I remember how much a friend loved his Krux but I always heard s lot of hate towards that brand. I said "fuck it", got a set and I'm super happy with them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1821 on: December 24, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »

I’m really a Thunder guy but I can’t stand how they carve in bowls and also how they manual. 

Add an 1/8" riser to Thunders to get a better carve.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1822 on: December 24, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »
Expand Quote

I’m really a Thunder guy but I can’t stand how they carve in bowls and also how they manual. 
[close]

this. tried fucking around with risers on some indys and have just kept riding them all the way up to now. thunder with risers really has a good turn
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1823 on: December 24, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Or try Thunders Team edition (baseplate 1mm higher). Night and day for the turn. And for trucks above 148, the Team are higher than Aces.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1824 on: December 24, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For sure. I am riding 1/8’ risers on thunders with a loose back truck and a wobbly loose front truck and they turn/carve great with no wheelbite on 54mm wheels

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1825 on: December 24, 2019, 04:37:29 PM »

I have had several sets and never witnessed any of this apart from loose kingpins which doesn't bother me. Stock bushings are pretty amazing in my experience.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1826 on: December 24, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Took note of this when the shop I work in got a big shipment of 55's... had to pick the nicest 'pair' out of the box to make sure. The conical ends are definitely inconsistent which puts me off ever not having an inside washer. As for the bushings, the bushings themselves are amazing, its the cupped top washer that causes issues. Haven't had the problem myself so far, but still recommend swapping the top washer because it seems to hug the bushing a little too much.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:11:47 PM by texasplant »

Woos

« Reply #1827 on: December 24, 2019, 10:52:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Or try Thunders Team edition (baseplate 1mm higher). Night and day for the turn. And for trucks above 148, the Team are higher than Aces.

I find even Team 148+ tend to not be great in transition unless you’re on the coping... then they’re amazing.

I’ll have to give them a go with risers but I like the stock height for tech shit.  So either way I’ll have two different setups.  I’ll definitely try though.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1828 on: December 25, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
My aces look almost new and have been skated little (since I got them just before winter kicking in) but the kingpin is so loose and rattle in one of them that my nut keeps coming loose all the time. Really disappointed to be honest.

I wouldn’t want to cry around about warranty especially for trucks, but that is one of the worst quality products I have bought in my life. The baseplate is already oval around the kingpin.

PMA

Woos

« Reply #1829 on: December 25, 2019, 10:16:20 PM »
The quality control issues are a major bummer.  I've hardly skated mine other than flat due to the holidays but I've never had loose trucks be so stable.  It feels like I'm on my medium-tight low ass Thunders when setting up flip tricks but once I lean to turn I feel like I'm on loose Indies.  Really digging that aspect.  Still feels weird going from Thunders to a truck that turns like this though.