Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747815 times)

B0udoir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1860 on: January 16, 2020, 11:16:43 AM »
I have the same "problem" with all my 44s and 55s. But actually I don't really mind, it is not a serious issue for me.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1861 on: January 16, 2020, 11:58:49 AM »
Has anyone had pre slipped axels? I bought a pair of 55s and right off the bat I had to put one washer on the inside and 3 on the outside to get the nut flush. The other side is perfectly flush with the standard one on the inside one on the outside. Love that surfy turn and big grind surface but the one axel sticking out way longer than the other pisses my off to no end.

This is because of the terrible ace quality control.  I had to get 3 sets of 55's pick out two trucks that the most even axles and return the others.  ridiculous

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1862 on: January 16, 2020, 12:23:29 PM »
I've been enjoying my Ace's for the last month or so, although it took a bit longer (about 2 weeks) to fully break in.
The first couple sessions were the tightest trucks I've ever skated, but they've loosened up nicely.
The bushing definitely gave me trouble. They bulged out initially then that little bubble just kind of ripped off, no huge problems from it though.

One thing is I can't tell how much it's effected my skating. I was skating Indy's forever which my skating feels pretty confident on and I definitely feel the difference in the truck, and I'm skating relatively the same stuff. I don't know if I just mentally know I'm not skating Indy's or if the Ace's are actually changing how I do some tricks.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1863 on: January 16, 2020, 03:24:14 PM »
I've been enjoying my Ace's for the last month or so, although it took a bit longer (about 2 weeks) to fully break in.
The first couple sessions were the tightest trucks I've ever skated, but they've loosened up nicely.
The bushing definitely gave me trouble. They bulged out initially then that little bubble just kind of ripped off, no huge problems from it though.

One thing is I can't tell how much it's effected my skating. I was skating Indy's forever which my skating feels pretty confident on and I definitely feel the difference in the truck, and I'm skating relatively the same stuff. I don't know if I just mentally know I'm not skating Indy's or if the Ace's are actually changing how I do some tricks.

the axle to axle wb is shorter. coming from thunders, i hated how i had to pop everything differently and called it quits on aces early
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1864 on: January 16, 2020, 07:38:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just to balance out the reviews, I’ve had 2 sets over 2 and a half years, and no issues .
[close]

i have a pair of 44s i've been skating for over a year now and they're great, no qc issues, nothing has broken, stock bushings are perfect, grinds feel great, best trucks on and off the board, can't say enough good about them
[close]

?
I have a cough and I'm on the verge of puking because that shit got me so good.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1865 on: January 17, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »
New model aces with a hollow kingpin in the wild

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:34:23 PM by BMCsteve »

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1866 on: January 17, 2020, 12:23:17 PM »
New mode aces with a hollow kingpin in the wild

Whose setup? Or is it just a rando?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1867 on: January 17, 2020, 12:34:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Justin Damer

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #1868 on: January 17, 2020, 01:19:54 PM »
how much of a difference does a hollow kingpin make?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1869 on: January 17, 2020, 01:29:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Justin Damer

Wasn't familiar, thanks for the info. It seems like these have been getting put through their paces by the team. I think the hollow kingpins were first posted like 4-5 months ago on one of Joey T's setups so maybe there's hope for qc this time around.

how much of a difference does a hollow kingpin make?

If it's just the kingpin... a little, not a lot. Probably not enough to keep the weight the same as the current models if they considerably beef up the hanger. They'd probably have to go hollow axle as well...... or they could have just hollowed out the underside of the hanger, made it lighter and stronger at the same time, like every other truck company since the early 90's. Those hangers are a throwback in more ways than one.

Diocletian

« Reply #1870 on: January 17, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
A have a set of destructo hollowpoint kingpins I was gonna put in some Ace’s awhile back and never did. Holding an Ace kingpin in one hand and the destructo in the other and lightly tossing them up and down feels almost no difference. Unless a truck company lightens the baseplate, hanger, or axle to any significant degree I’d say hollow kingpins alone have almost no effect on making anything lighter.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1871 on: January 26, 2020, 03:41:16 AM »
so between new sizing, thicker baseplates, hollow kingpin, etc—anyone know what updates we should actually be expecting from the new line? anything really worth waiting for? kinda just wanna get the 8.35" 44s and not have to wait...
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1872 on: January 26, 2020, 03:44:36 AM »
so between new sizing, thicker baseplates, hollow kingpin, etc—anyone know what updates we should actually be expecting from the new line? anything really worth waiting for? kinda just wanna get the 8.35" 44s and not have to wait...

As far as I'm aware from the tidbits another member posted, the geometry and height (and in theory, the turn) should all be the same. Weight, thickness, or anything hollow hasn't really been confirmed. Only thing they've acknowledged (through insta) is new sizes. Beyond that...? 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1873 on: January 26, 2020, 06:57:59 AM »
Harder bushings for me
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1874 on: January 26, 2020, 08:14:02 AM »

Harder alumininum.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1875 on: January 26, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Harder alumininum.

Confirmed?  That would probably make me buy 44s now. The soft just grinds super nicely.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1876 on: January 26, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »
Not confirmed. I'm a nobody but I got to handle some prototypes and the metal was defintely different. Reportedly a lot harder according to the shop owner.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1877 on: January 26, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »
Not confirmed. I'm a nobody but I got to handle some prototypes and the metal was defintely different. Reportedly a lot harder according to the shop owner.

I don't recall what series aluminum they use currently, but if they up it to harder stuff, say 7000 series, that can come with a 40% increase in density... aka, heavier. Adding overall hanger thickness and denser alloy....could make for a brick of a truck. We'll see though, pure speculation on my part.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1878 on: January 26, 2020, 06:35:13 PM »
They were heavier for sure. They were the new 44s. So an 8.25" axle and way heavier than my current 44s.

Lord Quas

• Rep: 18
  • enter the liquid realm
« Reply #1879 on: January 26, 2020, 06:49:27 PM »
damn man, this sucks to hear. if it aint broke dont fix it, i fuckin love the current 44 iteration. snaggin a pair of these tensor new ATGs - may be the new go to if the new aces are toooo crazy.

Quote from: GAY
I've never broken a board and it's a bigger source of shame for me and my family than my homosexuality.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1880 on: January 26, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »
Funny cus I have the ATG mags and have been itching to try Aces. Sounds like I’m getting 44s sooner than later.

edit: sold out at the shop, but already ordered some online hehe
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:43:52 AM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1881 on: January 26, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
damn man, this sucks to hear. if it aint broke dont fix it, i fuckin love the current 44 iteration. snaggin a pair of these tensor new ATGs - may be the new go to if the new aces are toooo crazy.

Word. There's room for improvement, always, but a heavier version of what's already the heaviest truck out there is not appealing.

If Theeve made an aluminum version of their TiHanger design, and redid their shitty branding that'd be a perfect version of an Ace right there.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1882 on: January 26, 2020, 07:33:23 PM »
Full disclaimer this was just my amateur observation of some prototypes. I'd wait until the new 44s are actually out to make a judgement call.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1883 on: January 26, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
Full disclaimer this was just my amateur observation of some prototypes. I'd wait until the new 44s are actually out to make a judgement call.

100%. All speculation. I might have come off pessimistic, but I genuinely hope Ace knocks it out of the park with their revamp.

satan

« Reply #1884 on: January 26, 2020, 08:41:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Harder alumininum.
[close]

Confirmed?  That would probably make me buy 44s now. The soft just grinds super nicely.
I'm not 100% sure on hardness, didn't pay much attention to that when I was looking for alloy tech  data.
But I think 7071 is softer that'd would req a change to 356 alloy, and then you'd lose the better grind.
Iirc strengths between the 2 alloys were similar. Or similar ranges for heat-treated..
Anyone remember what's pertinent to bending?
Modulus of elasticity? Shear modulus? Shear strength?

What they need to upgrade is the steel for the axles.
If you look at the Indy stage chart you'll see that they switched from 3000-series (idr the alloy #) a long time ago.

edit: Indy stage chart
Stage 9 got 4140 chromoly axles
https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118665
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:02:01 PM by satan »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1885 on: January 26, 2020, 10:53:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Harder alumininum.
[close]

[close]
I'm not 100% sure on hardness, didn't pay much attention to that when I was looking for alloy tech  data.
But I think 7071 is softer that'd would req a change to 356 alloy, and then you'd lose the better grind.
Iirc strengths between the 2 alloys were similar. Or similar ranges for heat-treated..
Anyone remember what's pertinent to bending?
Modulus of elasticity? Shear modulus? Shear strength?

What they need to upgrade is the steel for the axles.
If you look at the Indy stage chart you'll see that they switched from 3000-series (idr the alloy #) a long time ago.

edit: Indy stage chart
Stage 9 got 4140 chromoly axles
https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118665

Don't know the minutiae of all the metallurgical data for aluminum, so can't help there. But yeah, Indy switched to 4130 for axles a long time ago, I think most other brands followed suit. Around the same time most BMX bikes started using 4100 series chromoly for everything as well, I recall that from when I was kid.

Just saw that Ace currently use 7071 aluminum. If they upgrade aluminum that would probably mean 356 aluminum? Like you said. Indy and Ermico stuff use 356 as well. The weight difference between those two would actually be really minimal, if it all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:01:20 PM by palelight »

satan

« Reply #1886 on: January 27, 2020, 12:16:31 AM »
As much as I'd like to call going from 7071 to 356 an upgrade :P the heat-treated specs on the 2 were similar. iirc..

Since we're talking alloys..
Trucks that say weapons grade or aircraft aluminum are probably 7075 (and maybe 7175?). That's a popular alloy and close to 7071. Their main (I forget correct the word) ingredient is zinc. Pretty sure that's the entire 7000 series.
Both have similar amounts of magnesium, but 7075 also gets a good amount of copper too.
All that stuff should make them grind better. Probably wear down a lil faster cuz of that too (as ppl are confirming?). Might be why they feel soft? But I think (Brindell?) hardness was the same or close. Heat-treated..
I've got an interesting thing in my notes for 7071, 0.25% Ti max. Theeve?

356 has silicon as the main ingredient and about the same amount copper as 7071. And could have a similar, tiny amount of magnesium. It's like traces levels..
A356 is a more pure form of 356.

They're all ~90% aluminum so I think densities are similar.

Virgin means no recycled cans.

Most (all?) heat-treat is T4?

I'll try dig up some links and add them here.

https://books.google.com/books?id=g-aUf3nM6AEC&pg=PT111 7071 and 7075 %'s
If you scroll way up you can see 356

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=707
Doesn't show 7071 T4 but you can compare strength to 356 if you matches the rating, T6 to T6, etc.

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=356

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=7075

No info on 3056 alloy
3xxx is Nickel-chromium steel
4xxx is Molybdenum steel (chromoly)

http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=4140
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:09:16 AM by satan »

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1887 on: January 27, 2020, 03:19:02 AM »
As much as I'd like to call going from 7071 to 356 an upgrade :P the heat-treated specs on the 2 were similar. iirc..

Trucks that say weapons grade or aircraft aluminum are probably 7075 (and maybe 7175?). That's a popular alloy and close to 7071. Their main (I forget correct the word) ingredient is zinc. Pretty sure that's the entire 7000 series.
Both have similar amounts of magnesium, but 7075 also gets a good amount of copper too.
All that stuff should make them grind better. Probably wear down a lil faster cuz of that too (as ppl are confirming?). Might be why they feel soft? But I think (Brindell?) hardness was the same or close. Heat-treated..

356 has silicon as the main ingredient and about the same amount copper as 7071. And could have a similar, tiny amount of magnesium. It's like traces levels..

Doesn't show 7071 T4 but you can compare strength to 356 if you matches the rating, T6 to T6, etc.

No info on 3056 alloy

This is the most informative thing I’ve read all week. Thank you for the enlightenment.

thebacker

« Reply #1888 on: January 27, 2020, 07:04:00 AM »

No info on 3056 alloy

have a gnar that was great

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1889 on: January 27, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
I know this has been asked already but can't remember: which bushings are compatible with Ace? We're in currently living I can only find Thunder ones.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.