Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747369 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1920 on: February 09, 2020, 07:00:59 AM »
I’m getting close to replacing my 169 standard Indy’s with either 169 titanium’s or maybe some Aces. Not sure why I’m posting that but there ya fucken go
just started riding 169 standard so I’m intrigued. What decks you riding with em? What’s your want -  weight saving in the titanium?

oldbummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #1921 on: February 09, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m getting close to replacing my 169 standard Indy’s with either 169 titanium’s or maybe some Aces. Not sure why I’m posting that but there ya fucken go
[close]
just started riding 169 standard so I’m intrigued. What decks you riding with em? What’s your want -  weight saving in the titanium?

NHS site lists the weights.  From what I remember 169 Ti is lighter than 149 regular.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1922 on: February 09, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

NHS site lists the weights.  From what I remember 169 Ti is lighter than 149 regular.
Lighter than regular 129's! I think you could make a modern fattie lighter than an 90's pinner. Stage 7-8 were soooooo heavy.

https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula/
Bones lists weights for a set of wheels. Double the difference in weight for the trucks and you could add that much weight to your wheels without really feeling it. For the size wheels I was looking at it was around 2-3mm larger.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1923 on: February 10, 2020, 03:12:13 AM »
Expand Quote
I did the Krux Down Lows a while back.

A few set-ups later...

[close]

I’m about where your top pic was at rn. How did you press out the kingpins?
Whack the kingpin with a dead blow hammer. Clean the pocket out and set the new kingpin nut. JB Weld the nut in there, but be careful not to get any in the nut. I taped it closed. You might need to sand the top bushing down a bit to give the kingpin a good bite. Its a really close fit and if you ride loose trucks, you might not get it secure. At first I added some Loc-Tite, but ended up sanding the bushings.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1924 on: February 10, 2020, 04:03:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Lighter than regular 129's! I think you could make a modern fattie lighter than an 90's pinner. Stage 7-8 were soooooo heavy.

https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula/
Bones lists weights for a set of wheels. Double the difference in weight for the trucks and you could add that much weight to your wheels without really feeling it. For the size wheels I was looking at it was around 2-3mm larger.

Yeah that’s the ticket. I have rails too so saving weight somewhere is good.

Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah just the weight saving, really as I ride bigger boards so a bit less weight would be cool.  Love Indy 169s, as I ride 9 inch and up boards and realize the ego
Is a touch different but just wanna see how they go.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:09:12 AM by radcunt »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1925 on: February 10, 2020, 05:16:12 AM »
Wow 357g per. That’s ~50g lighter than 169 std     I’d consider it but the price jump is significant and I’m curious to try other trucks first. Great topic for the Ace truck thread

Diocletian

« Reply #1926 on: February 10, 2020, 07:11:34 AM »
After skating titanium’s in many sizes, I don’t think a $20 price hike is worth it. Forged hollows are only $10 more than standards and that makes sense.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1927 on: February 10, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

A few set-ups later...

[close]

[close]
Whack the kingpin with a dead blow hammer. Clean the pocket out and set the new kingpin nut. JB Weld the nut in there, but be careful not to get any in the nut. I taped it closed. You might need to sand the top bushing down a bit to give the kingpin a good bite. Its a really close fit and if you ride loose trucks, you might not get it secure. At first I added some Loc-Tite, but ended up sanding the bushings.

Much appreciated!

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1928 on: February 10, 2020, 12:39:45 PM »
After skating titanium’s in many sizes, I don’t think a $20 price hike is worth it. Forged hollows are only $10 more than standards and that makes sense.
Yeah. I'm kinda feeling the same way. And msrp just went up to $84 for Ti. $54 for hollow cast or forged?
But if you can find Ti on sale for under $60, factor in $6-7 for better bushings, it's not that bad compared to (full price) hollows. At least that's what I tell myself.

For removing a kingpin it should help to let the baseplate sit in hot water for a minute. Boiling or near boiling. That'll expand the hole and make it easier to get kingpin in/out. Be careful though, hot aluminum is softer and weaker.
A big C-clamp could work but you might need a small wedge to get everything to line up.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1929 on: February 11, 2020, 08:33:07 AM »
I feel like a crazy person for asking this, but:

Does anyone have a line on the speed rings that Ace uses? They're thicker/nicer than other brands, and all the aftermarkets that I've bought have been super thin. I hit up Ace and they don't currently sell them.

I'm trying to give my 44s another shot on an 8.6".

Agnarnomous

« Reply #1930 on: February 11, 2020, 08:36:15 AM »
I feel like a crazy person for asking this, but:

Does anyone have a line on the speed rings that Ace uses? They're thicker/nicer than other brands, and all the aftermarkets that I've bought have been super thin. I hit up Ace and they don't currently sell them.

I'm trying to give my 44s another shot on an 8.6".

Not sure tbh, but you could probably go to a hardware store with an Ace washer, and compare them until you find something close.

Diocletian

« Reply #1931 on: February 11, 2020, 11:24:15 AM »
My theeve’s also have the thick rings. Not sure why Indy, thunder, venture use the skinny goldish ones. Hardware store should have what you need.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1932 on: February 11, 2020, 03:54:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah. I'm kinda feeling the same way. And msrp just went up to $84 for Ti. $54 for hollow cast or forged?
But if you can find Ti on sale for under $60, factor in $6-7 for better bushings, it's not that bad compared to (full price) hollows. At least that's what I tell myself.

If you skate Indy, I feel the TI is the only way to go these days, when compared to other trucks.

With Thunder, I honestly don't think it's worth it over forged hollows especially when skating smaller sizes, 149+ perhaps. Sure, the TI are lighter but once it's setup you won't feel the difference.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:57:41 PM by Xen »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1933 on: February 11, 2020, 09:06:19 PM »
So, if I wanna get away from Indys, what Aces are like a 169, and how does their weight compare to the Indy Titaniums / Hollows?  And how can I make them ride like Indys?  Pretty over NHS and Indy is the only brand I use of theirs.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1934 on: February 12, 2020, 04:26:09 AM »
So, if I wanna get away from Indys, what Aces are like a 169, and how does their weight compare to the Indy Titaniums / Hollows?  And how can I make them ride like Indys?  Pretty over NHS and Indy is the only brand I use of theirs.

They will never be the same. I would say film are the most similar to Indy, in some aspects. There is also off-brand Indy clones, forgot the name though.

For aces they will be a little squirmier and a weight wise like Indy standards (even though they feel a little lighter)

They don’t have a 9.1 like 169s but you can go with 55 (9”) or 66 (9.3”)  I’d do 55s with an extra washer, that might be closest to 169. And since they are a bit lower add 1/8” riser to however you are riding the indies and they feel very similar and very good.

PMA

Diocletian

« Reply #1935 on: February 12, 2020, 07:49:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you skate Indy, I feel the TI is the only way to go these days, when compared to other trucks.

With Thunder, I honestly don't think it's worth it over forged hollows especially when skating smaller sizes, 149+ perhaps. Sure, the TI are lighter but once it's setup you won't feel the difference.

Thunder titanium lights are insanely light though, the closest thing to the tensor mags and theeve TiH’s.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1936 on: February 12, 2020, 07:49:53 AM »

Ace 55s, are currently the closest to 169s.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1937 on: February 12, 2020, 10:55:31 AM »

I switched from 169s to Ace 55s a few months ago and couldn't be happier

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1938 on: February 12, 2020, 11:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

on what deck? Curious to hear on what wheelbase/what environment

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1939 on: February 12, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thunder titanium lights are insanely light though, the closest thing to the tensor mags and theeve TiH’s.

Yeah, stupid light really, so were the TI 8.5 Ventures...crazy.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1940 on: February 12, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
on what deck? Curious to hear on what wheelbase/what environment

Currently on an 8.5 Hockey, the one with the 14.25 wheelbase. Previously on an 8.5 917 with a 14.19 wb. Also had an 8.5 Quasi with 14.25 wb. So All 8.5s with about 14.25 wb.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1941 on: February 12, 2020, 06:26:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They will never be the same. I would say film are the most similar to Indy, in some aspects. There is also off-brand Indy clones, forgot the name though.

For aces they will be a little squirmier and a weight wise like Indy standards (even though they feel a little lighter)

They don’t have a 9.1 like 169s but you can go with 55 (9”) or 66 (9.3”)  I’d do 55s with an extra washer, that might be closest to 169. And since they are a bit lower add 1/8” riser to however you are riding the indies and they feel very similar and very good.

Yeah, cool thanks.  I like the flowy feeling of Indys, so if they're a bit squirmier, then that could be good.  I really want that Titanium lightness though as i've only ridden Indy standards since starting on Tracker Ultralights that we all rode in my area in the 80s

Juanjo789

« Reply #1942 on: February 13, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »
how are aces on flat/mellow kick decks

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1943 on: February 14, 2020, 08:00:36 AM »

I skated an Antihero (which I would consider pretty flat) on Aces and I loved it. I'll probably get another deck similar to the one I had as soon as I see another one at a shop.

I also love Quasi decks on Aces. And those generally have pretty steep kicks.

I can't tell you mathematically why I like them, but I can tell you I did.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1944 on: February 20, 2020, 12:21:06 AM »
Does anyone else have a feeling the new Ace will suck and trying to hunt down the previous models is going to be a pain in the ass. For example, dealing with resellers charging a stupid amount etc. I want to try Ace's but there doesn't seem to be an ETA on the new lineup, just sometime in the spring?

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1945 on: February 20, 2020, 02:16:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skated an Antihero (which I would consider pretty flat) on Aces and I loved it. I'll probably get another deck similar to the one I had as soon as I see another one at a shop.

I also love Quasi decks on Aces. And those generally have pretty steep kicks.

I can't tell you mathematically why I like them, but I can tell you I did.

currently v happy on an 8.5 proto and ace 44s
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

ILikeToMilkDucks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1946 on: February 20, 2020, 02:29:28 AM »
Does anyone else have a feeling the new Ace will suck and trying to hunt down the previous models is going to be a pain in the ass. For example, dealing with resellers charging a stupid amount etc. I want to try Ace's but there doesn't seem to be an ETA on the new lineup, just sometime in the spring?

I'm kind of in the same situation. I really want to get some 33's, but the stock seems to be dwindling, and buying an old model when a new one is on the horizon is a tough sale. We don't know much about them yet. They could end up being amazing, or they could leave everyone pining for the old model. Do I risk it, or play it safe and wait?

I ride 8.1 decks so waiting seems beneficial since I like 8.25 trucks. The current 8.35 just doesn't work for me, and I usually go for 8.0 when I know the truck is prone to wheelbite. But everyone seems to agree that isn't an issue with Ace, so an 8.25 would be dope.

Daggers4life

• Rep: 0
  • All I wanna do is skate...
« Reply #1947 on: February 20, 2020, 05:17:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

A few set-ups later...

[close]

[close]

Does the jbweld hold it in there good?
Don't Believe Everything You Think.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1948 on: February 20, 2020, 07:20:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm kind of in the same situation. I really want to get some 33's, but the stock seems to be dwindling, and buying an old model when a new one is on the horizon is a tough sale. We don't know much about them yet. They could end up being amazing, or they could leave everyone pining for the old model. Do I risk it, or play it safe and wait?

I ride 8.1 decks so waiting seems beneficial since I like 8.25 trucks. The current 8.35 just doesn't work for me, and I usually go for 8.0 when I know the truck is prone to wheelbite. But everyone seems to agree that isn't an issue with Ace, so an 8.25 would be dope.

I don't know anything about when the new ace might be out but I get these things usually take longer than anticipated.... may as well just get some 44s.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1949 on: February 20, 2020, 09:12:58 AM »
I want to try Ace’s. That’s all I have to say.