Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747481 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2190 on: May 12, 2020, 06:46:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Those came out sick!
Taped the axles?
[close]

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't want to take the chance the stripper would do anything to the axles that would cause them to rust. Or get the gel into the threads and cause any damage to the nylon on the axle nuts. It was my first time trying so I wanted to be extra cautious.

Makes sense. I waffled back and forth considering taping and went against it, for no real reason. I’ll check those trucks to see if the axles are jacked, didn’t really notice. Could only help to tape tho.

Same same re: base plates. Taking out the pivot cups and like you mentioned cleaning up all of the crevices didn’t seem fun.

I’ve been flopping between ACE and venture. Had a decent enough day with the 44s so I’ll just try and stick there. I feel like I could set up decks 8-8.5 on these things.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2191 on: May 12, 2020, 06:59:36 AM »

One finished hanger

[/quote]
Looks cool with the blue base/raw hanger

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2192 on: May 12, 2020, 07:22:52 AM »
Raw looks sick. I think the ace hanger shape adds to it. Nice work. I no longer fear buying colored trucks if I see a deal.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2193 on: May 12, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »
Raw looks sick. I think the ace hanger shape adds to it. Nice work. I no longer fear buying colored trucks if I see a deal.

Thanks, it was super easy. Just applied and let sit for 12 hours or so on that truck.Came off very easy. The second hanger will be sitting for about 24 hours before I get to it.

Thanks

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those came out sick!
Taped the axles?
[close]

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't want to take the chance the stripper would do anything to the axles that would cause them to rust. Or get the gel into the threads and cause any damage to the nylon on the axle nuts. It was my first time trying so I wanted to be extra cautious.
[close]

Makes sense. I waffled back and forth considering taping and went against it, for no real reason. I’ll check those trucks to see if the axles are jacked, didn’t really notice. Could only help to tape tho.

Same same re: base plates. Taking out the pivot cups and like you mentioned cleaning up all of the crevices didn’t seem fun.

I’ve been flopping between ACE and venture. Had a decent enough day with the 44s so I’ll just try and stick there. I feel like I could set up decks 8-8.5 on these things.

Same here, every few months I buy a set of ACE and give them a go. I think because of the COVID thing since I didn't skate almost 6 weeks and then tossed the ACE on it was less of a mind fuck coming from Venture. These are feeling pretty good so far. And now that theyhave the raw hanger I'm even more excited by them.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2194 on: May 12, 2020, 08:09:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks, it was super easy. Just applied and let sit for 12 hours or so on that truck.Came off very easy. The second hanger will be sitting for about 24 hours before I get to it.

Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those came out sick!
Taped the axles?
[close]

[close]

[close]

Same here, every few months I buy a set of ACE and give them a go. I think because of the COVID thing since I didn't skate almost 6 weeks and then tossed the ACE on it was less of a mind fuck coming from Venture. These are feeling pretty good so far. And now that theyhave the raw hanger I'm even more excited by them.
the blue that stayed in the 44 is a really nice touch. i skated horribly on my old set of aces but if they looked like that, id force myself to get good with em
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

whagman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #2195 on: May 15, 2020, 09:27:23 AM »
just got my first pair of ace’s, and i noticed the bushings are sticking out a bit. wondering if it matters at all and if i should bother fixing it

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2196 on: May 15, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
just got my first pair of ace’s, and i noticed the bushings are sticking out a bit. wondering if it matters at all and if i should bother fixing it

It does it (slightly) on one of my 44s but it doesn't bother me or seem to have any effect on the turn. The washers on Aces are kind of small, so you can switch them out for some Indy (or basically any other) washers and that should fix it.

Edit: it did it on both of mine when I first got them but after about an hour of skating the one was fine and the other was/is very slight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:38:17 AM by FrozenIndustries »

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2197 on: May 15, 2020, 10:08:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It does it (slightly) on one of my 44s but it doesn't bother me or seem to have any effect on the turn. The washers on Aces are kind of small, so you can switch them out for some Indy (or basically any other) washers and that should fix it.

Edit: it did it on both of mine when I first got them but after about an hour of skating the one was fine and the other was/is very slight.

I'm on my second pair in a row that has done this. I've had the same experience as FrozenIndustries with them hardening up after about an hour into the first session. In case this saves you time and "messing with the breaking in process" of loosening the nut and cramming the bushing back in with your thumb, try taking the flat end of your house key and pressing it against the "problem area" until it sucks back inside the washer. You might have to do this more than a few times, but hopefully it stops after that first hour or so.

Edit: my third pair
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:10:53 AM by babywantsbluevelvet »

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2198 on: May 15, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »
Started skating my Ace 44 again recently and i'm loving them so far. Paired them with an 8.25 Baker. I avoided them for awhile thinking they wouldn't do the job as well as thunders on ledges but i'm feeling better than ever on this setup.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2199 on: May 15, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Happened on my past pair but they broke in nicely and the over bulge stopped.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2200 on: May 15, 2020, 11:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Happened on my past pair but they broke in nicely and the over bulge stopped.

I’ve lucked out and it hasn’t happened to me. It sounds like it happened to folks regardless if they pre-tighten their trucks or not. I don’t. I just leave factory stock, skate around, don’t go real hard (ever) fresh out of the gate. New trucks and I’m kinda just cruising for transportation for most of the first few days. Instead of doing that you could rock back and forth on you board in the house. Maybe that’ll help

saltusnaut

« Reply #2201 on: May 15, 2020, 11:49:28 AM »
No bulging for me. Maybe got lucky, maybe it's not as prevalent as a thread on a forum can make it seem.

Nom De Plume

• Rep: 1
  • Slow, Low, and Old
« Reply #2202 on: May 16, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »
Set up new 44s today and they did the bushing mush. Landed heavy toes on a front shuv, got pitched on some nasty wheel bite, and the bushing tore. Put everything back in place and it happened again, on other bushings as well. Even when just turning. Bummer.

Got 44s on my reg board and 55s on my cruiser, both have been stellar out of the box with no problems.

Going from Thunders to Aces on this crust setup shortened my wheel base from 17 3/4 to 17 3/8 and the pop was instantly more predictable. Crazy what a difference that adjustment makes. I know they will turn great once I get this sorted. Going with the recommendations here and hope they firm up. Not really trying to frankentruck or put an after market fix on some brand new shit. Sent 'em an email to see what they say.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:29:26 PM by Nom De Plume »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2203 on: May 16, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »
Set up new 44s today and they did the bushing mush. Landed heavy toes on a front shuv, got pitched on some nasty wheel bite, and the bushing tore. Put everything back in place and it happened again, on other bushings as well. Even when just turning. Bummer.

Got 44s on my reg board and 55s on my cruiser, both have been stellar out of the box with no problems.

Going from Thunders to Aces on this crust setup shortened my wheel base from 17 3/4 to 17 3/8 and the pop was instantly more predictable. Crazy what a difference that adjustment makes. I know they will turn great once I get this sorted. Going with the recommendations here and hope they firm up. Not really trying to frankentruck or put an after market fix on some brand new shit. Sent 'em an email to see what they say.

Please post the reply up here.

I had the same thing happen with my 66s and I just swapped for a different brand bushing.  I'm probably going to pick up some 44s when they get restocked at my local and it would be nice to know the 'official' fix.

Nom De Plume

• Rep: 1
  • Slow, Low, and Old
« Reply #2204 on: May 16, 2020, 03:17:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had the same thing happen with my 66s and I just swapped for a different brand bushing.  I'm probably going to pick up some 44s when they get restocked at my local and it would be nice to know the 'official' fix.

Will do man.

What bushings you use and how was it? I got some old Bones mediums but my other Aces turn great stock so I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. Plus I'm trying to stave off advanced stage gear madness and this is how it starts. One day you're changing bushings and next thing you know you're buying washers at the hardware store and swapping hangers around. Then you're neglecting your loved ones, lose your job, and out on the streets. It's a slippery slope.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2205 on: May 16, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Will do man.

What bushings you use and how was it? I got some old Bones mediums but my other Aces turn great stock so I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. Plus I'm trying to stave off advanced stage gear madness and this is how it starts. One day you're changing bushings and next thing you know you're buying washers at the hardware store and swapping hangers around. Then you're neglecting your loved ones, lose your job, and out on the streets. It's a slippery slope.
at least you got a fresh ride
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2206 on: May 16, 2020, 09:42:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Will do man.

Currently on Mini Logo medium. They are 94, and would be a bit hard on 44s - but the extra leverage of the 66s makes  them doable. I was craving a bit softer today.  I have probably 8 other sets of bushings I could try in them, but am trying to avoid the madness and just skate them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2207 on: May 17, 2020, 12:17:34 AM »
Just cruise on your first few sessions on Ace until they harden up. Mine popped out of the washers too in the beginning and I had to force myself not to tinker with them. It was worth though, I’ve never tightened/ loosened them and they rode perfectly these days. Manuals feel so good on them too

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Juanjo789

« Reply #2208 on: May 17, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
My 44s are kinda crooked and im 100% sure it has to do with bushing/pivot. How can i fix this?

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #2209 on: May 17, 2020, 04:54:06 PM »
Pivot cup replacement has worked for me in the past on indy's
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2210 on: May 17, 2020, 05:04:59 PM »
[quote a=Juanjo789 link=topic=48056.msg3296841#msg3296841 date=1589750059]
My 44s are kinda crooked and im 100% sure it has to do with bushing/pivot. How can i fix this?
[/quote]

Sorry to be rude: have you taken them fully apart? Taking the pivot cups out and such? If when reassembled still tweaked, my guess would be the same as above, pivot cups.

shalominator

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2211 on: May 17, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »

Pop some new bushings band cups In and good to go

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #2212 on: May 18, 2020, 01:54:39 AM »
Was thinking about trying a set but holy shit do these trucks sound like a hassle

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2213 on: May 18, 2020, 02:31:19 AM »
Was thinking about trying a set but holy shit do these trucks sound like a hassle

Legit, I understand the performance may be good but damn the QC and amount of tinkering people have to do when indys and thunders just work out the box. Can they really be worth it?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2214 on: May 18, 2020, 04:30:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Legit, I understand the performance may be good but damn the QC and amount of tinkering people have to do when indys and thunders just work out the box. Can they really be worth it?

To be honest this is more truck nerds being nerds than anything. I've had multiple pairs of ace and keep them fully stock, never had problems. Only adjusted them to  the tightness I like after they broke in which takes about one session.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2215 on: May 18, 2020, 05:43:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

To be honest this is more truck nerds being nerds than anything. I've had multiple pairs of ace and keep them fully stock, never had problems. Only adjusted them to  the tightness I like after they broke in which takes about one session.

Yeah, aside from the bulge on the first day of having my current set of 44s I've never has any issues (had 3 sets total) and have just skated mine basically at stock tightness. If you look in the Venture thread there are just as many people talking about swapping bushings and washers in there, trying to change the way they turn and stuff.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2216 on: May 18, 2020, 05:44:24 AM »
they’re not really; I was looking for a no fuss truck that I could just ride without having to swap out everything. The advice I got on here was don’t touch anything and just cruise around on them for a few sessions until the bushing harden up and that’s exactly what I did, haven’t touched them since.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2217 on: May 18, 2020, 06:27:16 AM »
I also been thinking of trying a set of 44's. The marketing is going into my head.
I had a pair of 33's a few years back, and while they felt really good at first they turned to shit really quick.
The pivot cups got shredded in like 3 months and I never ever had problems with pivot cups before, also got axle slip on both trucks not long after. That really threw me off about trying a pair again. Did they fix this or do they eat through pivot cups like crazy still?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2218 on: May 18, 2020, 07:23:50 AM »
I also been thinking of trying a set of 44's. The marketing is going into my head.
I had a pair of 33's a few years back, and while they felt really good at first they turned to shit really quick.
The pivot cups got shredded in like 3 months and I never ever had problems with pivot cups before, also got axle slip on both trucks not long after. That really threw me off about trying a pair again. Did they fix this or do they eat through pivot cups like crazy still?
never had a problem with my 44s, they are the most recent version though, snap some up before they come out with all their new sizes.

I love my aces but am thinking about getting some film trucks in 151 size for bigger boards. Any of you ace heads ridden them?

saltusnaut

« Reply #2219 on: May 18, 2020, 07:28:08 AM »

Only my first gen aces had shit pivot cups. When they got destroyed I put khiro cups in them and had no more problem. Newer gen aces have great cups

Thought I had axle slip once but finally figured out it was a bad axle nut with destroyed nylon.