Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747422 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2610 on: October 29, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »
I recommend breaking in your bushings at stock tightness.

Once the bottom bushings looks like a shaved nutsack your preforming truck at all tightnesseses
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2611 on: October 29, 2020, 02:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks. Took some time to read a few pages back about all this too and found what I needed. I don't want to sell them, I like how they turn. Gonna break them in more and see, as well as try my indy bushings in them.

Can I ride them with the bushings folding over the washers, or should I stop every time and put that back to normal?
[close]

The issue is the top washers that come stock with Aces have a thicker edge than, say, Indys. It digs into the bushing when you tighten them down and squeezes them out the side.

Find some Indy top washers and put them on your Aces. Problem solved.
[close]

Thanks, will try tonight. It’s ok to ride them with bushings squeezed, it just looks odd?
have you broken in the stock bushings enough? How tight do you need them? Stock indy 169 bushings felt way softer than stock ace 55's to me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2612 on: October 29, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »

Once the bottom bushings looks like a shaved nutsack your preforming truck at all tightnesseses

please listen to the good man. please.

as many others have mentioned: break in the stock bushings. it really is the easiest thing to do: do not tighten, do not buy something else, just cruise around. after a few days the bushings will settle in/firm up, and you can at that point, tighten them down (for best results do not tighten drastically, tighten, skate, tighten, skate....you get it). ace are not my forever truck, but they are the shit, and if you enjoy the simple act of skateboarding i do not see how someone would not get at least some enjoyment out of using ace: best turn.

Diocletian

« Reply #2613 on: October 31, 2020, 01:51:51 PM »

Raven’s IG. Bottom of baseplate is a beautiful touch.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2614 on: October 31, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »
i really hope they come out with a proper 8.75 hanger

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2615 on: October 31, 2020, 03:54:17 PM »
That bottom is sick!

TumKayo

« Reply #2616 on: October 31, 2020, 08:25:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

as many others have mentioned: break in the stock bushings. it really is the easiest thing to do: do not tighten, do not buy something else, just cruise around. after a few days the bushings will settle in/firm up, and you can at that point, tighten them down (for best results do not tighten drastically, tighten, skate, tighten, skate....you get it). ace are not my forever truck, but they are the shit, and if you enjoy the simple act of skateboarding i do not see how someone would not get at least some enjoyment out of using ace: best turn.

I actually got pretty mad at the trucks the other day, after troubleshooting with them for an hour. I’ve never in my life have to do this with a truck. Could barely ride them at stock tightness, and tightened them when the bushing ripped a bit hanging off the washer. Called up Tactics, they will accept a used return. I’m not messing around with it, it should ride well stock, like every single other truck I’ve had in my entire life has.

Will stick with indys, thunders and ventures. They don’t have as nice of a turn, but I can actually ride them.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2617 on: October 31, 2020, 08:53:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I actually got pretty mad at the trucks the other day, after troubleshooting with them for an hour. I’ve never in my life have to do this with a truck. Could barely ride them at stock tightness, and tightened them when the bushing ripped a bit hanging off the washer. Called up Tactics, they will accept a used return. I’m not messing around with it, it should ride well stock, like every single other truck I’ve had in my entire life has.

Will stick with indys, thunders and ventures. They don’t have as nice of a turn, but I can actually ride them.

I like and ride other trucks too.
That being said, I do not fucking understand when people hop on a skateboard, hop off, and instantly crank the bushing down, and then are upset when the bushing break. That is how to break/rip/tear bushings. It’s weird as hell to expect a different result. 
I like ventures, a lot, but it’s basically the opposite problem for me with stock bushings: need to loosen em up a lot before I can get enough turn, or swap out the top washer for a flat washer. I’ll still skate em for a few sessions stock first. That’s the breaking it in part. People that try and short cut this type of shit for sure buy pre ripped pants.

TumKayo

« Reply #2618 on: October 31, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I like and ride other trucks too.
That being said, I do not fucking understand when people hop on a skateboard, hop off, and instantly crank the bushing down, and then are upset when the bushing break. That is how to break/rip/tear bushings. It’s weird as hell to expect a different result. 
I like ventures, a lot, but it’s basically the opposite problem for me with stock bushings: need to loosen em up a lot before I can get enough turn, or swap out the top washer for a flat washer. I’ll still skate em for a few sessions stock first. That’s the breaking it in part. People that try and short cut this type of shit for sure buy pre ripped pants.

I didn’t tighten it down that much, maybe medium, and not all at once. Nothing I haven’t done before 50 times.

I do like how the geometry works, I do like the quality and detail, and I do like the turn, but they pivot too deep or something and had too much wheelbite even at medium tight, with 2.54mm risers and 53mm wheels. I’m well over 200lbs, if that matters, but always ride stock bushings without issues.

I feel like I would have to do a lot more experimenting to figure out how to keep their deep turn, without any bite. It might be worth it, and I feel bad and stupid for giving up on them, since they are high quality, but it just seems like work and $ that may not pay off.

I just want turn key trucks, like I get from Venture, Indy and Thunder. Thanks for the help though guys, I’m out.

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2619 on: November 01, 2020, 11:03:10 AM »

Any news on an actual launch time for these? I need that true 8.5 axle ASAP

IpathCats

« Reply #2620 on: November 01, 2020, 11:52:16 AM »
Anyone know the new size chart for these? Are they going up in .25" increments now?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2621 on: November 01, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
Its been noted on here pages back but according to people in the know here's how the new axle sizing was going:

44s 8.25
55s 8.5
66s 8.75
77s 9.125

Someone from Ace confirmed with me that they were working on a size between the current 44s and 55s on Facebook.
@IpathCats

Kind of hope they stay at 9 and not 9.125”

IpathCats

« Reply #2622 on: November 01, 2020, 02:01:44 PM »
I'm an 8.5 guy riding 44's now. I get 8.5" in every other truck, so I'm sure I'll like these once they change sizes too. I have a set of 9" 55's on my cruiser with big wheels and a set of 22's for the zip zinger.

IpathCats

« Reply #2623 on: November 01, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Its been noted on here pages back but according to people in the know here's how the new axle sizing was going:

44s 8.25
55s 8.5
66s 8.75
77s 9.125

Someone from Ace confirmed with me that they were working on a size between the current 44s and 55s on Facebook.
[close]
@IpathCats

Kind of hope they stay at 9 and not 9.125”
Thanks man!

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2624 on: November 01, 2020, 02:08:20 PM »
Beautiful plates.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #2625 on: November 01, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »
Are people starting to hoard the 8.38" 44s?

IpathCats

« Reply #2626 on: November 01, 2020, 02:17:18 PM »
Are people starting to hoard the 8.38" 44s?

I'm sure some people will. I just started skating a new set.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #2627 on: November 01, 2020, 09:44:29 PM »

So, the new plates are indeed forged? Won't that lower them by about 1.5mm? That would probably make them too low for my liking. I'm very happy at 52mm, but I've skated 55mm most of my life, so getting down to Thunder height might throw me off too much. Let alone the fact that I don't like the feel of forged.
I'd rather have titanium axles and hollow kingpin to shed some of that weight.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #2628 on: November 02, 2020, 12:35:29 AM »
I'm skating 44s on 8.25 and its perfect.
Now I'm not sure if I would have to go with the 55 or stick with the 44 ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2629 on: November 02, 2020, 01:04:21 AM »

That Baseplate looks dope!! I just wish brands would start making the kingpin hole hexagonal so you could put an inverted kingpin and still tighten it from the top without the nut rotating.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2630 on: November 02, 2020, 01:44:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So, the new plates are indeed forged? Won't that lower them by about 1.5mm? That would probably make them too low for my liking. I'm very happy at 52mm, but I've skated 55mm most of my life, so getting down to Thunder height might throw me off too much. Let alone the fact that I don't like the feel of forged.
I'd rather have titanium axles and hollow kingpin to shed some of that weight.

They don't necessarily have to lower the baseplate just because they're forged. They could still maintain the 52mm height. I was under the impression DLX/Indy did the thinner forged plates to save weight and offer an alternative height to their standard stuff (could be wrong though). I'm guessing Ace will still just have the one standard height model for 8"+ trucks. That said, they'll have to use more aluminum to keep the height while being forged, I'd be surprised if the price didn't go up.

IpathCats

« Reply #2631 on: November 02, 2020, 02:33:52 AM »
I'm skating 44s on 8.25 and its perfect.
Now I'm not sure if I would have to go with the 55 or stick with the 44 ?

I'd go with 44's if I was you. I'd rather flush fitment that a quarter inch of poke

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2632 on: November 02, 2020, 06:12:37 AM »
It will be an 1/8" of poke each side. Noticeable to some, negligible to others.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2633 on: November 07, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »
I got some white Ace 66 just because. I, too, am experiencing the bushing bulge. We'll see how this pans out.

Mongoloid

« Reply #2634 on: November 07, 2020, 01:29:22 PM »
I got some white Ace 66 just because. I, too, am experiencing the bushing bulge. We'll see how this pans out.

You got that bushing bulge to match that pants bulge!

I’m thinking of going back to Ace now that I’m shaking off the rust a bit. I hate how tic tacky I am when I can’t turn on a dime like I’m used to with Ace. Best damn trucks out there.

TumKayo

« Reply #2635 on: November 07, 2020, 03:21:04 PM »

I put some indy washers and 94a bushings in mine and it helped a lot. I have a 1/4" riser on mine, and still get some bite, but it's much more manageable now.

Next spring I'm going to try some boards with wheel wells. The idea of being able to run this truck lower AND keep the big wheels, sounds like the perfect low cruiser set up.

Suffice to say I won't be returning them. I'm going to keep them and try to figure them out, because they do turn a tighter radius than anything else I've skated.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2636 on: November 07, 2020, 04:55:45 PM »

If possible, I’d recommend loosening the trucks until the bulge disappears (this may take awhile, few days of cruising). And yes, especially with 66s, they’ll be almost impossibly loose, but the hope is the bushing settle, firm up, you can adjust to your liking at that later point. Best of luck, the ace turn is the best. The best I say.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2637 on: November 07, 2020, 05:09:55 PM »
I am enjoying them more than the 44s I already had. I'm keeping them as is from the factory. Rocking some old f4 classics worn down to less than 50mm.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2638 on: November 07, 2020, 05:25:35 PM »
Every time I try to skate anything else, I come back to Ace, specifically the 44s.

One of the locals here got some in so I gripped a new set. Was feeling kind of bad about spending the money but ended up hitting axle later that day. Might flip them front to back and keep running them but we shall see.

I've been skating mine on an 8.5 Hockey with 56mm loopholes and no risers. I get wheelbite about the same as I do on indys with 53s and harder bushings, which is pretty amazing. The combo of the Aces with the 56s is something I never thought I would be into but I just can't quit it.

Rambling, just psyched on Aces.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2639 on: November 07, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »
Every time I try to skate anything else, I come back to Ace, specifically the 44s.

One of the locals here got some in so I gripped a new set. Was feeling kind of bad about spending the money but ended up hitting axle later that day. Might flip them front to back and keep running them but we shall see.

I've been skating mine on an 8.5 Hockey with 56mm loopholes and no risers. I get wheelbite about the same as I do on indys with 53s and harder bushings, which is pretty amazing. The combo of the Aces with the 56s is something I never thought I would be into but I just can't quit it.

Rambling, just psyched on Aces.

The only setup I’ve had in the last few years that had been bigger than 7.75, that really worked for me, was an 8.25 girl Simon deck (Cory graphic that I was hyped on), 14 wb, 44s, 56 mm conical fulls, no risers. The board was more like 8 1/8, pretty mellow. I normally love rolling around on big wheels and then wail in desperation as soon as I try and do any type of trickery. That setup worked tho, poppin. Ace have tons of turn, and not much wheelbite, imo. What I can’t figure out is how some setups, with ace, pop really good for me, and some very much do not. I think I’m just too heavy, and not strong enough to manipulate trucks over 8”.