Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743496 times)

cheekclapper and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Wizard0f0dds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2700 on: December 01, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »
Expand Quote
so i have a question for y’all. i had a bad ankle injury a while ago and lost a lot of my pop/power in my back foot. would switching to aces help improve my pop if my maximum pop is less now?

since it “lightens up” the pop. i don’t normally like long wheelbase boards or steep boards. and i find 14.38 with thunder almost un skate able ( at least for flat) i find i have to lean back more, which is more difficult on a weak back ankle.
[close]

I've broken/sprained my feet/ankles multiple times. Before my last bad injury I was riding 8.75 with indy 159 titanium. After surgery and physical therapy getting on that board felt impossible to maneuver, so I sized down to 8.5 and ace 44's and it helped a good bit.

That sounds a lot like what happened to me! Was riding 8.625-8.75 (with the odd shaped board every once in a while) with indy 159 and completely destroyed my ankle in June, so I stepped down to 8.38-8.5 with ace 44 when I got back in July. Sure helped a lot, tried my 159s on a 8.5 after that and could barely kickflip high enough to get on a sidewalk, much easier on my aces... Not exactly as much pop as I had before the injury, but enough to get by. Ankle is getting much better now though! It's winter now here in Canada, so I'll see next summer if I want to step back up in size or not.

Diocletian

« Reply #2701 on: December 01, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
Funny issue with my new Ace 55's, you literally cannot get a skate tool or even a box end wrench on the kingpin nut.  It can only be loosened or tightened using an open end wrench.  There's not enough clearance between the hangar and kingpin nut to get anything behind it.

Never had that happen with any previous set of Aces.  Not a big deal because I just set it and forget it but if you are constantly messing with your kingpin it would be super annoying

Your hanger sitting properly? If I use too short of a bottom bushing one of my Ace's is like that. As long as I have an Ace bottom bushing or Krux, it doesn't have that issue.

IpathCats

« Reply #2702 on: December 01, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »
Does anyone make bushings the same size as ace, but harder?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2703 on: December 01, 2020, 04:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Funny issue with my new Ace 55's, you literally cannot get a skate tool or even a box end wrench on the kingpin nut.  It can only be loosened or tightened using an open end wrench.  There's not enough clearance between the hangar and kingpin nut to get anything behind it.

Never had that happen with any previous set of Aces.  Not a big deal because I just set it and forget it but if you are constantly messing with your kingpin it would be super annoying
[close]

Your hanger sitting properly? If I use too short of a bottom bushing one of my Ace's is like that. As long as I have an Ace bottom bushing or Krux, it doesn't have that issue.

Yep, the hanger is sitting properly and I’m using the stock Ace bushings with the kingpin nut flush.  So weird

kenjiro

« Reply #2704 on: December 01, 2020, 05:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
so i have a question for y’all. i had a bad ankle injury a while ago and lost a lot of my pop/power in my back foot. would switching to aces help improve my pop if my maximum pop is less now?

since it “lightens up” the pop. i don’t normally like long wheelbase boards or steep boards. and i find 14.38 with thunder almost un skate able ( at least for flat) i find i have to lean back more, which is more difficult on a weak back ankle.
[close]

I've broken/sprained my feet/ankles multiple times. Before my last bad injury I was riding 8.75 with indy 159 titanium. After surgery and physical therapy getting on that board felt impossible to maneuver, so I sized down to 8.5 and ace 44's and it helped a good bit.

Thanks everyone. I bit the bullet and got a pair of 44’s. I was only able to ride them for a little bit, but the shorter wheelbase had a positive impact for my flatground right away. Loving the way these feel and surprisingly stable.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2705 on: December 02, 2020, 06:36:06 AM »

Minilogo. I was running the orange 94a for a bit.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2706 on: December 02, 2020, 07:33:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The ML top isn't as tall as the Ace top. Best bet is to leave the Ace top (which is already kinda hard) and mess around with a harder bottom. Or try whatever and crank the kingpin nut down more.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2707 on: December 02, 2020, 07:35:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The ML top isn't as tall as the Ace top. Best bet is to leave the Ace top (which is already kinda hard) and mess around with a harder bottom. Or try whatever and crank the kingpin nut down more.

Had no idea. I want to revisit my set now.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2708 on: December 02, 2020, 07:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Had no idea. I want to revisit my set now.

Ace top is basically huge. IMO they are a big reason for the Ace feel, I use them in my Krux and they feel just like Ace but harder at the end of the turn.

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2709 on: December 02, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »
Anybody came from Thunders? Or anybody who rides tight-medium?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #2710 on: December 02, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
Had my first session on my 44s earlier. Bushing still dont feel broke in yet, but they feel pretty excellent overall; came off ventures and I'm really appreciating the easier pop and manuals.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #2711 on: December 02, 2020, 05:44:05 PM »
This is like my 8th go round with ACE. One of the things I don’t like is how the bushings do this. What’s the solution here? I removed the hanger to install the riptides and cranked it right back to stock.

These are brand new. This is just from leaning side to side on the living room carpet.

Other times I’ve just been over it and put in bones hards. Taking suggestions.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2712 on: December 02, 2020, 05:54:49 PM »
This is like my 8th go round with ACE. One of the things I don’t like is how the bushings do this. What’s the solution here? I removed the hanger to install the riptides and cranked it right back to stock.

These are brand new. This is just from leaning side to side on the living room carpet.

Replace them with washers from Indy or Venture. The Ace washers are a lot more snug.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #2713 on: December 02, 2020, 06:04:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Replace them with washers from Indy or Venture. The Ace washers are a lot more snug.

FI has the better plan.
I loosen them up and rock back and forth, skate for transport with em real loose. It’s annoying that the bushing take a bit, but they eventually settle, and after that the bushings hold up pretty decent. The washers do look too small tho

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2714 on: December 02, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »
Meant to mention this but I got distracted me ruining the thing about the washers:

How come I love Ace 44s and they're my favorite truck but my set of 55s makes me feel kind of miserable every time I skate them? Same stage so don't play that card. Both are now grooved but my pop on the 44s is just forever superior.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2715 on: December 02, 2020, 06:35:40 PM »
@arrbee you could replace  top washer as stated. But it happened to me with new 55’s and I had kingpin flush for a few hours. Yours look past that so I’d take it back a half turn or so. Top bushing stayed after minimal break in and I was able to tighten some after that. 

TumKayo

« Reply #2716 on: December 02, 2020, 07:53:29 PM »
Indy washers instantly fixed that bushing fold issue for me.

I currently have 101a bushings in my 66s, they’re rock hard, and these are still my best turning trucks. It’s kind of odd actually. When I put the hard bushing into my other trucks, they don’t turn. There is a lot of leverage or whatever in these Aces, to turn with less force.

I hated my 66s at first. I was so pissed cuz I never had a piece of skate gear I had to troubleshoot so much. However I’m glad I kept trying with them, because now I love them, and just bought some 55s.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:01:47 PM by TumKayo »

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2717 on: December 02, 2020, 08:23:15 PM »
Damn I think I need some more 44s.

sk8bat

• Rep: -97
« Reply #2718 on: December 03, 2020, 12:53:03 AM »

Throw the bottom washer in the trash.

chrisskates808

« Reply #2719 on: December 03, 2020, 05:09:56 PM »
Remember the 38 specials? After hours of researching, I finally found a flange nut really close to the 38s. Does fit on the axle.

It looks a bit different but doesn't affect anything. Check it out.

Top: Ace 38s
Bottom: Found on the website

Diocletian

« Reply #2720 on: December 04, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »
Those are rad, link? Would be nice to find that same nut that has added locking protection with some nylock at the end. I think those look way cooler than normal axle nuts.

chrisskates808

« Reply #2721 on: December 04, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »
Those are rad, link? Would be nice to find that same nut that has added locking protection with some nylock at the end. I think those look way cooler than normal axle nuts.

Sent you a message

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2722 on: December 05, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
Re: risers
@FrozenIndustries

Used indy (meh) risers because of the open areas they have, you can align it to be flush with the outside edge of the baseplate. Don’t use the bolt holes

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2723 on: December 05, 2020, 02:12:50 PM »
Re: risers
@FrozenIndustries

Used indy (meh) risers because of the open areas they have, you can align it to be flush with the outside edge of the baseplate. Don’t use the bolt holes

Nice, thank you. I have some Indy risers too! Been running the krooked slotted risers, lucky before that.

Diocletian

« Reply #2724 on: December 05, 2020, 06:05:54 PM »
Lol that is awesome looks like it fits pretty much perfect

finecojeffe

• Rep: 130
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #2725 on: December 05, 2020, 07:40:00 PM »
blue loctite should work

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2726 on: December 06, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »
55s are mounted up. Can't wait to skate them.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2727 on: December 06, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »

nice red base plates. Keep those kingpin nuts stock (or even loosen a touch) and break em in for a bit before you try to tighten.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #2728 on: December 06, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
nice red base plates. Keep those kingpin nuts stock (or even loosen a touch) and break em in for a bit before you try to tighten.

Trill talk from Jay

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2729 on: December 06, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Trill talk from Jay

Yeah, I'm going that route this time. Im coming off a pair of 44s and tightened them really early on and then had to keep messing with them once the bushings broke in. Won't make that mistake again.