Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739291 times)

Mongoloid

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2730 on: December 06, 2020, 07:16:18 PM »
Back on my usual Ace + Red Doh Doh’s, and couldn’t be any happier.

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2731 on: December 07, 2020, 08:06:12 AM »
How long do you skate the bushings at stock tightness before tightening or loosening? Setting up aces today and curious on how long I should let them be and harden up before adjusting

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2732 on: December 07, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »
How long do you skate the bushings at stock tightness before tightening or loosening? Setting up aces today and curious on how long I should let them be and harden up before adjusting

You can kinda ‘feel’ it when the bushings settle in imo. I loosen and cruise for transport for a few days, but this could possibly be accelerated by rocking back and forth and shit. But why? You got somewhere to be?

(Stock or looser for a week)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2733 on: December 07, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »
I set up a board with new Ace trucks yesterday and just standing on the fresh bushings definitely felt weird, clicking and creaking on the leans from side to side.

Also noticed how small the top washer is compared to Indy or others and could see all the things people had been talking about in this thread.

The other Ace trucks that I had were always used from swaps / trades so the bushings did exactly what they were supposed to, so I guess that initial break in period is definitely one you don't want to mess up.  Leave the trucks loose for as long as you can.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2734 on: December 08, 2020, 05:28:40 AM »
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. I skated them yesterday not long cause by the time I got them set up I needed head home. The way they carve definitely was fun to cruise around on and hit small transition. I only shared for maybe 30-45 min and didn’t notice the washers eating into the bushings yet. At 6’1 225 in kinda stoked I didn’t kill the bushings. No weird sounds so far. One wheel wouldn’t go in smooth but I think it’s something up from bearings.

Coming off Indy/ti/forged I do feel like my timing on ollies was off like it took a bit before I hit  the ledge I skated. So I looked like a dork ghost popping I’m sure.

Pretty stoked on them so far 

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2735 on: December 08, 2020, 05:41:25 AM »
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. I skated them yesterday not long cause by the time I got them set up I needed head home. The way they carve definitely was fun to cruise around on and hit small transition. I only shared for maybe 30-45 min and didn’t notice the washers eating into the bushings yet. At 6’1 225 in kinda stoked I didn’t kill the bushings. No weird sounds so far. One wheel wouldn’t go in smooth but I think it’s something up from bearings.

Coming off Indy/ti/forged I do feel like my timing on ollies was off like it took a bit before I hit  the ledge I skated. So I looked like a dork ghost popping I’m sure.

indy ti are 53.5mm tall while the ace's are 53mm 52mm.. shouldn't be too crazy of a difference - that might've been more wheelbase adjustment that truck height?  are you on 44 or 55? I use 1/8" risers with my 55 to bring the height to around indy standard w 54mm+ wheels
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:14:28 AM by jay_nev »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2736 on: December 08, 2020, 07:30:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
indy ti are 53.5mm tall while the ace's are 53mm.. shouldn't be too crazy of a difference - that might've been more wheelbase adjustment that truck height?  are you on 44 or 55? I use 1/8" risers with my 55 to bring the height to around indy standard w 54mm+ wheels

I’m on 44s.  I’m thinking it may be the wheelbase too. I’m on a 14.5 wb which is pretty new to me coming from 14.25

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2737 on: December 08, 2020, 08:57:44 AM »
Could be wrong, usually am, but ace are maybe 52mm. Indy ti push the effective wb out, ace brings it in.
‘Knowing’ these little factoids hasn’t helped me too much.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2738 on: December 08, 2020, 09:15:03 AM »
Could be wrong, usually am, but ace are maybe 52mm. Indy ti push the effective wb out, ace brings it in.
You're right, Tactics is wrongly listing them at 53mm. I thought that sounded weird but didnt question it bc i hadn't had enough coffee yet.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #2739 on: December 08, 2020, 09:27:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You're right, Tactics is wrongly listing them at 53mm. I thought that sounded weird but didnt question it bc i hadn't had enough coffee yet.
pretty sure the previous version was 53 and they just didn't update it

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2740 on: December 08, 2020, 09:27:17 AM »
As to the ghost pop: too many factors. Tail angles, wb, overall length, wheel size, truck height, truck effect on wb....too much. Most people can adapt. Me however, back on my 14” bs

kenjiro

« Reply #2741 on: December 08, 2020, 06:40:54 PM »
what wheel size do you guys like with ace? absolute max? no risers

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2742 on: December 08, 2020, 06:56:46 PM »
I’m on 53 right now
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2743 on: December 08, 2020, 07:21:53 PM »
I like taller wheels with Ace. Normally I’m on 52 mm ish. I ride 56 mm conical fulls without too much trouble, and no risers. There are lots of other factors tho, namely the board being wider than the trucks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2744 on: December 08, 2020, 09:51:27 PM »

Depends on the truck size and deck size. 44s on an 8.5, I can do 54mm classics no risers but 55s on a 8.75" I'll need risers on 54mm classics. Wheel shape and width also comes into play.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2745 on: December 09, 2020, 06:01:28 AM »
I’m on 53 right now
same here. 53's on either 44 or 55 ace no risers, no problems

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2746 on: December 09, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »

I'm on 54mm classics, might be a little worn down but even new they were fine on 44s. I did try 56mm conical full too, but ended up setting them back on my indy 159s, but it was very manageable on my 44s too.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #2747 on: December 09, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »

Im running an 8.25 FA at the moment with 55mm conical full Spitties and the wheelbite is negligible.
It actually tapers to 8.125ish at the back truck and still not an issue thanks to how deep the trucks carve.

I know from insta Deedz runs 56-58mm wheels and his trucks look pretty loose. Oski also runs pretty big wheels on 44s/8.125 but with riser pads, which I think is quite an interesting setup.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2748 on: December 10, 2020, 01:04:11 PM »

Im on 56mm conical no problem with loose trucks. Wheelbite has never been a issue for me as long as my wheels go up to the edge of my deck. Only time it has effected me was when I skated magic carpet setups as a kid.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2749 on: December 11, 2020, 10:15:31 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIqeaiAJKvb/?igshid=1u2v1ipylox1d

Space camp!!
 Of Montreal "The past is a grotesque animal." It doesn't get much better than this combo.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Cordyceps

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2750 on: December 11, 2020, 10:48:37 AM »

Space camp!!
 Of Montreal "The past is a grotesque animal." It doesn't get much better than this combo.
Thank you! Nice edit.
Divisa para el joven izquierdista: revolución y coño.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2751 on: December 11, 2020, 11:54:07 AM »

Space camp!!
Tell you what... if I didn’t already own a couple sets, I’d wanna pick one up for sure after seeing that “homey edit.”

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2752 on: December 20, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
What's the max wheel size for stock looseness no risers Ace 44s without going to wheelbite town? Would 54mm-s suffice?

Depends how heavy you land / lean.  A lightweight body could ride 60mm and not have issues, but a heavy body could ride less than 50mm and get constant wheelbite on every landing or every turn.

Once you were used to the trucks though, you could ride almost anything and it would be ok for most people, so each size or option is dependent on who it is or how they ride.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TumKayo

« Reply #2753 on: December 20, 2020, 08:26:36 PM »
You should be safe with 54mm wheels. As I get used to mine, I have been slowly upping the wheelsize, no risers. Currently on 53mm conical fulls with Ace 55, but I'm 100kg. I could probably get away with a 54mm classic shape.

On 44s, you should theoretically get less bite from the same wheel size. So you should be safe with 54mm of any shape if you're under 200lbs and not a ham foot.

I complain off and on about Ace wheelbite, but the fact is the only time I experience wheelbite, is when I'm turning too hard anyways, like a ridiculous turn radius that no other truck could even get to.  And obviously when you land off the corner too hard but that happens on any loose truck. It's becoming a non issue, and I haven't even started making my own wheel wells..yet.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2754 on: December 20, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »
I’ve been riding ace exclusively for a few months now. For me I’ve gotten the least amount of wheelbite ever with ace and I ride loose and I weight 200lbs. My go to right now is 55mm wheels on ace 44. I have a set of 55s I was gonna set up but I’ve been sticking with the 44e for now. Wheelbite has honestly not been an issue at all for me

TumKayo

« Reply #2755 on: December 20, 2020, 08:48:16 PM »
I'm gonna get a bit nerdy here, but there isn't as much "tiered gear" in skateboarding, as there is in some other sports. Like certain gear that's designed for advanced/experts, and intermediates can't really benefit from. For instance the ski industry has a lot of tiered gear, that's important to get right or you'll have a really bad time.

Ace feel almost like an "advanced" truck. A beginner can still have fun on them, but you gotta have some foot control to really make them shine.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2756 on: December 21, 2020, 02:33:06 AM »
Thinking of getting some aces to bring in the WB on the 8.5 Polar's. Is it worth getting riptide bushings?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2757 on: December 21, 2020, 03:15:48 AM »
Thinking of getting some aces to bring in the WB on the 8.5 Polar's. Is it worth getting riptide bushings?

In my opinion the Ace Stock bushings are the best on the market. Never had any problems with them. If you like loose but very controllable trucks the stock bushings are the way to go. Also the bushings are very durable, unlike the Indy or Thunder stocks

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2758 on: December 21, 2020, 08:42:18 AM »
I’m only a handful of sessions in on my aces. But after never having a truck that I’m like this is the one for me. I think I found it. Didn’t adjust the bushings until a few hours in and I only adjusted one after and it’s cause the back bushing started to squish out so I loosened it to get back in.  I’m roughly 225lb riding them looser than the Indy’s and ventures I was riding before and feel far more stable and so far to my knowledge haven’t got wheel bite yet. But only a few sessions in.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2759 on: December 21, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »

I can second that the ace bushings are great. Just finished riding that shape on 44s and it was amazing