Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738953 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2940 on: February 28, 2021, 12:37:36 PM »
The pinch between venture and ace is definitely different. Think of it this way. Ace turns deep and feels carvy. Venture is more of a lean than a turn. So when you crank down a crook with all your body weight, the ace truck is way more contorted while grinding. Meanwhile the venture has a much milder angle.

For me, it feels like the ace is more parallel to the curb and venture is so sideways it’s damn near like a noseslide. So in that regard, the techniques do require slightly different body weight distributions for long grinds.

At first I thought it was BS too but after riding ace for a few years and now on my second set of 6.1s, I understand it. An easy way to see it, is just push your truck down as hard as you can to simulate the pinch. Doing this you can see how much more contorted the ace gets.

And to answer the question of falling out of crooked grinds? Neither truck is gonna stop you from doing this on long grinds (I say long because this is where the body weight distribution really matters). You can fall out on both trucks if your technique is slightly off. However I will say that popping out to forward in the middle of a curb/ledge is immensely easier on venture. Maybe it’s because it’s in a closer position to a nose slide?
how tight do you ride your 6.1s? pinch never was a problem or something to "simulate" in my experiences
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

m477

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #2941 on: February 28, 2021, 12:52:32 PM »
On the ventures I use 94a black independent aftermarket barrel bushings, 1/8 risers and the kingpin nut is flush.  With the aces the bushings are a hodgepodge of hard indy conical and barrel. I'm on the heavier side at 205 so for me this is a pretty medium level of tightness, definitely not loose or tight. When I said simulate, what I meant was push the wheel to wheelbite with your hand.  If you do this, you can see how the ace and venture angles are different.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2942 on: February 28, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »
Been wanting to try ace for so long to shorten the WB on my 8.5 Polars. Can't wait till the new model drops 🔮
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #2943 on: March 01, 2021, 12:34:06 AM »
Can anyone give me a quick review of the 03s? I'm currently on 44s and was thinking of sizing down to 33s once I kill these, but was always curious about how the lows feel. How's the turning? Wheel bite? Kingpin clearance?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2944 on: March 01, 2021, 01:15:34 AM »
Can anyone give me a quick review of the 03s? I'm currently on 44s and was thinking of sizing down to 33s once I kill these, but was always curious about how the lows feel. How's the turning? Wheel bite? Kingpin clearance?

Unless you are riding tiny wheels or tighter trucks, or put risers on (which kind of defeats the purpose of low trucks) you might end up struggling.

Not to say there are not people who like them, but compared to the normal ones, they are very low with minimal kingpin clearance, check that pic - maybe zero clearance and kingpin touching once you do a few grinds?

https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-trucks-03-low-polished

Ace 03 Low, at 1.90" (48mm) tall these are a full 5/32" (4mm) lower than our 33 Classic. Not recommended for use with taller than 53mm wheels. These lower your center of gravity for added stability at the cost of a slightly reduced turning radius. Works best with 8.125" or smaller boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2945 on: March 01, 2021, 06:07:10 AM »
Been wanting to try ace for so long to shorten the WB on my 8.5 Polars. Can't wait till the new model drops 🔮

My 8.5” Polar with Ace 44s was definitely one of the best setups I skated in a long time. I ended up buying three Polar decks to keep the feel going
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #2946 on: March 01, 2021, 09:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unless you are riding tiny wheels or tighter trucks, or put risers on (which kind of defeats the purpose of low trucks) you might end up struggling.

Not to say there are not people who like them, but compared to the normal ones, they are very low with minimal kingpin clearance, check that pic - maybe zero clearance and kingpin touching once you do a few grinds?

https://shop.acetrucks.com/products/ace-trucks-03-low-polished

Ace 03 Low, at 1.90" (48mm) tall these are a full 5/32" (4mm) lower than our 33 Classic. Not recommended for use with taller than 53mm wheels. These lower your center of gravity for added stability at the cost of a slightly reduced turning radius. Works best with 8.125" or smaller boards.

Helpful thanks! Looks like the lows aren’t for me

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2947 on: March 01, 2021, 09:44:35 AM »
There is a theory that is you want a more stable truck that responds quickly, low trucks with risers are preferable to high trucks... Not my preference at all but if you want to delve into this madness via Ace Lows, please report back...

Or

Just get Thunders for the same effect.

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #2948 on: March 01, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
Switched back to 8.5 from 8.38 board and had a new set of ace 44s to try, too narrow. Went to the shop got some 55s, too wide.... I had that bushing dilemma as well.... So far my quest to start riding aces is on standby...

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2949 on: March 01, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »
I tried 55's on my 8.5 and yea it wasn't ideal. I LOVE my 8.75 with 55's though. Such a sweet truck. I had the same bushing issue. I threw a Bones Hard top with the washer and left the stock bottom with washer and its worked perfect. I did this to my 66 set up as well. Works good for me.

OMSK

« Reply #2950 on: March 01, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
I tried 55's on my 8.5 and yea it wasn't ideal. I LOVE my 8.75 with 55's though. Such a sweet truck. I had the same bushing issue. I threw a Bones Hard top with the washer and left the stock bottom with washer and its worked perfect. I did this to my 66 set up as well. Works good for me.

Yeah I might have to up my size to an 8.6... I was really stoked on the 55s and an 8.5 but they're a hair too wide and the 44s are like a magic carpet ride. It was really strange how wide they felt though, like a noticeable difference. I'm over Indy's and slipping axles and had a weird experience with thunders... I was running bones bushings but they kept cracking so now I am back to stock Indy's but I put both top bushings in the truck and it turns a little better IMO.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2951 on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I might have to up my size to an 8.6... I was really stoked on the 55s and an 8.5 but they're a hair too wide and the 44s are like a magic carpet ride. It was really strange how wide they felt though, like a noticeable difference. I'm over Indy's and slipping axles and had a weird experience with thunders... I was running bones bushings but they kept cracking so now I am back to stock Indy's but I put both top bushings in the truck and it turns a little better IMO.

I ride 8.5 almost exclusively and I'm on 44s, although I do have 3 washers inside each wheel and 1 outside to make them a little wider. I'd say it makes them about as wide as indy 149s. I also hate the magic carpet feel, and 55s are way too big for me. Can't wait until I can get my hands on a 8.75 Ace truck though, and I've tried going back to indy 159 and something's just off, so I make it work with 3 washers on 44s in the meantime.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2952 on: March 01, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »
3 washers inside is definitely key to skating a 8.3-8.5 with 44s. Coming from 159-8.5 setup as well it does suck not having that extra room to grind on but the pros outweigh the cons... at least scooping is alittle bit easier lol.

OMSK

« Reply #2953 on: March 01, 2021, 12:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ride 8.5 almost exclusively and I'm on 44s, although I do have 3 washers inside each wheel and 1 outside to make them a little wider. I'd say it makes them about as wide as indy 149s. I also hate the magic carpet feel, and 55s are way too big for me. Can't wait until I can get my hands on a 8.75 Ace truck though, and I've tried going back to indy 159 and something's just off, so I make it work with 3 washers on 44s in the meantime.

fuck, didn't event think of running extra washers, I'll give that a shot....

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2954 on: March 01, 2021, 01:01:04 PM »
If you use extra washers make sure your nylock nuts are in good shape. I lost a wheel on a 50-50 the other day running 44s with extra washers...

Diocletian

« Reply #2955 on: March 01, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »
Flip your axle nuts, I've done it plenty of times. No worrying about the nuts flying off.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #2956 on: March 01, 2021, 01:38:29 PM »
Flip your axle nuts, I've done it plenty of times. No worrying about the nuts flying off.
i do this too and frequently swap wheels. never had any problems. is there a reason they're not made this way?

RoadSodas

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2957 on: March 01, 2021, 03:04:50 PM »
3 washers inside is definitely key to skating a 8.3-8.5 with 44s. Coming from 159-8.5 setup as well it does suck not having that extra room to grind on but the pros outweigh the cons... at least scooping is alittle bit easier lol.

Similar boat, ran 159s then 169s on an 8.5 forever. Moved back to 44's about 2 months ago, 3 washers on the inside and a little bit wider wheels and WAY prefer it.

Its funny that I get hardly any wheel bite on my Aces with 54mm OJ Hardlines, but on my 169s I get it constantly on the same wheels, and i run my trucks like barely loose.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2958 on: March 01, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »
Switched back to 8.5 from 8.38 board and had a new set of ace 44s to try, too narrow. Went to the shop got some 55s, too wide.... I had that bushing dilemma as well.... So far my quest to start riding aces is on standby...

As said, three washers on the inside only - don't need anything on the outside as the wheel nut almost have their own built in washer nowdays.

This is how I have run my setups for a long time and although sometimes the wheel doesn't seat the bearings correctly, I almost never have issues with length of axle and 3 washers, but I have a ton of spares, some wider, some thinner, so I can mix and match a bit too if needed.

Thinner washers only even fit four on some trucks, but as long as the wheel nut is firmly on (not able to be turned just by your fingers) you should never have issues with the wheel nuts falling off.

It really does make a big difference in where the wheels sit and don't be alarmed by seeing a lot of washers when you look at your wheels (if you ride thinner wheels, that is) but most of my normal size bigger wheels cover them nicely anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2959 on: March 03, 2021, 12:11:29 AM »
Pontus set up. 8.75” 14.375” wb and ace 55 it’s looking like.

can't talk about the deck specs but know for sure he rides them 55's

twic3

« Reply #2960 on: March 04, 2021, 11:42:09 AM »
I'm kinda stuck between ordering those riptide pivot cups or just waiting for the new model to drop next month. I cant believe my pivot cups have gotten so bad only after 9 months...

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2961 on: March 04, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »
I'm kinda stuck between ordering those riptide pivot cups or just waiting for the new model to drop next month. I cant believe my pivot cups have gotten so bad only after 9 months...

What did I miss, next month? is that confirmed somewhere?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2962 on: March 04, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What did I miss, next month? is that confirmed somewhere?

Rumors, no real confirmation (and you can't expect a solid date given the global supply situation).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2963 on: March 04, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »

I loved them. Bones hards and 50mm wheels. Still turn (probably better than any low truck out there - ML can compete here and are lighter). The bones hards kept the wheelbite at bay but they still turned great (especially when the hards broke in to permanent mediums).  Kingpin clearance leaves much to be desired.

twic3

« Reply #2964 on: March 04, 2021, 12:56:19 PM »
https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/2020/11/05/ace-trucks-urgent-call-to-all-ace-pilots/

For context, someone linked this 2 or 3 pages ago.

Also on the Ace insta, yesterday they replied back to someone asking when the 8.5 model comes out. Someone commented "spring?" and they replied back "sooner than you think"...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL65WdVJZX8/

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2965 on: March 04, 2021, 02:16:36 PM »
Last thing I saw about the new drop, from 2 weeks ago in reference to the upcoming 8.5"

twic3

« Reply #2966 on: March 04, 2021, 02:33:10 PM »
Heres the comment I was talking about

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2967 on: March 04, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
Well Spring is just few weeks away, so if it's sooner than we think, could be next week.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2968 on: March 04, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »
Any hints one way or the other if the new sizes will be redesigns as well? I remember Oski having a setup pic last year with hollows, same with a Joey T. pic that was floating around, but Oski's recent setup pic, and Pontus..and everyone else just seem like normal Aces. Did they scrap the redesign and just opt for new widths?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2969 on: March 04, 2021, 04:39:22 PM »
It's actually kinda wild to consider that Ace doesn't offer an equivalent to the 149 or 159, which are, judging from the people I know, the two most popular sizes of Independent Trucks. I even ran into my local curb dog, the guy who was skating Ace Trucks 6 or 7 years ago, skating Indy Mid 159s, because he didn't like the way that his 55s hung off the side of his 8.75" popsicle
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021