Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 405685 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 114
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3300 on: March 31, 2021, 03:07:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I love ace and only skate their trucks but like this whole truck sizing thing is a mess. Having two lines of trucks out from one brand seems so confusing and redundant. I dont see why they couldnt of just scrapped the classic line and than made the new af1s in all the previous sizes while introducing an 8.5 truck as a 49 and an 8.75 as a 51.  The fact that the classic 44s are going to have the same hanger width as the new 55s is pretty ridiculous, and that the new 9' 66s have a smaller hanger than the classic 55s. Wouldve been so much smarter to just introduce an 8.5 and an 8.75 truck not a complete weird rework of all the pre existing stuff.
[close]

Because then you'll have people pissed that they've scrapped the classic line.

Honestly this is the best way they could've pulled this off. Keep the classics for those that don't want to change, and introduce the AF1 for those that want to try something new.
[close]

What would people be pissed off about if they scrapped the classic line but still reused the same sizing? The change in font for the numbers???
[close]

None of us know how the new Aces perform. It could be for better or for worse. Those that don't like how the new Aces perform can still stick with the old ones without worrying about running out of stock.

Same reason why people still skate older stages of Indys.
[close]

The new trucks use the exact same geometry.
It says it at the top of the fucking advertisement for the AF1s.

It was stupid of ace to make two different lines of trucks. Literally no point in having two lines of trucks with different axle and hanger lenghts that use the same numbering system. Just going to confuse everybody who wants them.

Sure, but they also changed the bushings and have different axle nuts (their second shot at reinventing them).

Honestly this is a dumb thing to get heated over.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #3301 on: March 31, 2021, 04:49:51 PM »
For those that wanted to know, here are the 3ply Real Risers on an Ace.

i asked. Thanks @Frank and Fred, always helpful

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #3302 on: April 01, 2021, 12:48:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok ok ok you've all got me feeling like I should try these out. My favourite trucks I've had in recent years were some indy 159 forged titaniums. If i want something similar, what aces should I go for?

Thanks in advance and shalom
[close]

Get the 55s, run them the way you bought them for like two-three weeks, donít fuck with anything. Theyíre not going to be jiggly loose or anything, but once those bushings break in you can adjust them to the desired looseness, or tightness if you feel the need.

I was hella loyal to indys for as long as Iíve skated, until I got my first pair of aces and never looked back.
[close]
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'm comfortable on anything from super loose to medium, just don't like them too tight, so I should be able to handle that. Seems i can only get 55 high in NZ atm but i heard they're getting restocked soon. Looking forward to trying them.
[close]

Happy to help my dude!

They come mediumish but for sure skateable. And only use ace bushings and pivot cups or it will fuck with the geometry. They were designed to be skated loose, I run mine super jiggly loose and didnít cut my bushings or remove washers, because that will also fuck with the  geometry, but I didnít need to, which is super nice.

Iím stoked for you dude, youíre in for such a treat!

Out of curiosity, how do you get them jiggly loose with stock everything? I had to switch out the top bushings to shorter ones to do that. I tried running them stock super loose and my back kingpin nut fell off doing slappies.

Diocletian

« Reply #3303 on: April 01, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just requested some lil jawns custom solid block risers. Aint cheap, but the OCD in me wont let me ride bones (I dont ride Bones bearings or wheels) or Indy (theyre fucking Ace trucks!)

Im a little sketched that the AF1 baseplates might be slightly different...maybe I dont need to be concerned about that?
[close]

They're risers dude. Holy fuck.
[close]

Yeah I donít get this. Lil jawns sells their risers for $15-20, too. Such a ripoff. Theyíre rails are rad, though. I got some parking block shaped ones
[close]

You dont have to.

Not your risers.
Not your money.
Not your madness.

Thank God.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #3304 on: April 01, 2021, 07:16:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just requested some lil jawns custom solid block risers. Aint cheap, but the OCD in me wont let me ride bones (I dont ride Bones bearings or wheels) or Indy (theyre fucking Ace trucks!)

Im a little sketched that the AF1 baseplates might be slightly different...maybe I dont need to be concerned about that?
[close]

[close]

Yeah I donít get this. Lil jawns sells their risers for $15-20, too. Such a ripoff. Theyíre rails are rad, though. I got some parking block shaped ones
[close]

You dont have to.

Not your risers.
Not your money.
Not your madness.
[close]

Thank God.

I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 09:09:41 AM by arrbee »

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3305 on: April 01, 2021, 07:45:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I don’t get this. Lil jawns sells their risers for $15-20, too. Such a ripoff. They’re rails are rad, though. I got some parking block shaped ones
[close]

You dont have to.

Not your risers.
Not your money.
Not your madness.
[close]

Thank God.
[close]

I know we aren't madness shaming on in the gear section, come on were better than this.

Permission to sig, sir?

Edit: Plusskateboarding on Insta has the AF1 spec sheet in their stories, says they'll be available next week.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:50:49 AM by FrozenIndustries »
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #3306 on: April 01, 2021, 09:11:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You dont have to.

Not your risers.
Not your money.
Not your madness.
[close]

Thank God.
[close]

I know we aren't madness shaming on in the gear section, come on were better than this.
[close]

Permission to sig, sir?

Edit: Plusskateboarding on Insta has the AF1 spec sheet in their stories, says they'll be available next week.

Granted!

And I got you on the spec sheet

bigdave

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3307 on: April 01, 2021, 09:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You dont have to.

Not your risers.
Not your money.
Not your madness.
[close]

Thank God.
[close]

[close]

Permission to sig, sir?

[close]

Granted!

And I got you on the spec sheet

Axles match board size*

*cue cries of terror from 8.75" crowd
ok thanks

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 119
« Reply #3308 on: April 01, 2021, 09:41:19 AM »
No info on hanger sizes? That's the measurement that matters.

Diocletian

« Reply #3309 on: April 01, 2021, 09:45:14 AM »
For anyone curious about the axle material:

https://www.jfs-steel.com/en/product/SCM440.html

Looks equivalent to 4140? Krux advertised their new trucks with the "SCM440" axles.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #3310 on: April 01, 2021, 09:45:46 AM »
Lol, upgraded aesthetics with baseplate logos you will never see again...guess there ran out of things to hype.

So all I'm getting is a stronger truck due to better materials and better cups/bushings and standard industry sizes. I'll still try a pair because ACE...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 09:58:46 AM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #3311 on: April 01, 2021, 09:46:48 AM »

Bruh....

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3312 on: April 01, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bruh....

you know it.

axle width has very little influence on performance. i'm curious if the AF1 9"ers will have a shorter hanger so I can watch BigDave freak out some more.

antarctica

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3313 on: April 01, 2021, 09:54:40 AM »
Honestly cant believe im saying this but I think im better off with just sticking with the current 44s lol

bigdave

« Reply #3314 on: April 01, 2021, 09:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Bruh....
[close]

you know it.

axle width has very little influence on performance. i'm curious if the AF1 9"ers will have a shorter hanger so I can watch BigDave freak out some more.

lol I will not freak out. I will definitely be buying one pair of 66s immediately.
ok thanks

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #3315 on: April 01, 2021, 09:59:06 AM »
To the pals that ride classic 44s if yíall plan on trying the AF1s what size are you thinking? I usually skate 8.38-8.5 and Iíve not had to think of what size to do since I got aces. Iím leaning to the 55af1s

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #3316 on: April 01, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »
Honestly cant believe im saying this but I think im better off with just sticking with the current 44s lol

If they're not bending or breaking on you and you don't mind the axle size, nope, no reason. Now the 8.5" crowd is probably the happiest.

antarctica

« Reply #3317 on: April 01, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »
To the pals that ride classic 44s if yíall plan on trying the AF1s what size are you thinking? I usually skate 8.38-8.5 and Iíve not had to think of what size to do since I got aces. Iím leaking to the 55af1s

Im having the same problem lol, prob gonna buy an extra pair of normal 44s before i pull the trigger on either the af144 or af155

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3318 on: April 01, 2021, 10:02:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Bruh....
[close]

you know it.

[close]

lol I will not freak out. I will definitely be buying one pair of 66s immediately.

Me too.

I'll likely sample both the Af1 55s and 66s. My goal is to stick to one truck size though, so hope I can make the 66s work. I typically skate boards between 8.5 popsicles and 9.25" shapes.

antarctica

« Reply #3319 on: April 01, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If they're not bending or breaking on you and you don't mind the axle size, nope, no reason. Now the 8.5" crowd is probably the happiest.

Yea exactly, i ride 8.18 to 8.6 so the normal 44s are pretty prime right now, def gonna try a pair of the af1s tho, just because

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3320 on: April 01, 2021, 10:05:14 AM »
Pretty spicy (for an Ace thread) in here. 5 new replies while I was typing this up.

Curious to see what the price difference is between the classics and AF1s. I do think the marketing is going to be used to justify a much higher price point, maybe similar to (or even slightly higher than) what other brands use with their forged hollow models.

bigdave

« Reply #3321 on: April 01, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Bruh....
[close]

you know it.

[close]

[close]

Me too.

I'll likely sample both the Af1 55s and 66s. My goal is to stick to one truck size though, so hope I can make the 66s work. I typically skate boards between 8.5 popsicles and 9.25" shapes.

Yeah, I am trying to do two setups. Ive got an 8.875 magenta on reg 55s w/ no risers, 53mm wheels I am riding at home on my mini, but what I need to get set up are these Transportation Unit Pelicans I bought, w/ 56mm wheels and bronson ceramics and 1/8s....salivating at doing that with the AF166s....even if the hanger is slightly more narrow than the 55s. I have a new set of 55s just hanging out now, but Im gonna hold out for the AF1s.
ok thanks

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 547
  • Victory kisses
« Reply #3322 on: April 01, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
Curious that marketing sheet doesn't list that they are all hollow and forged, which was the rumor right?

Speed ring futures are about to get really volatile.
Best trick was Supreme convincing kids dressing like a juggalo is cool

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -350
« Reply #3323 on: April 01, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
 No way they are keeping the old classic line

Like there is so little changed here... What's the point in having two near identical products... That follow two completely different size charts.

hobochimp

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3324 on: April 01, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
Will the new baseplate design shave off any weight? Just curious bc that would be the only positive of the new graphic design on the bottom

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3325 on: April 01, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
No way they are keeping the old classic line

Like there is so little changed here... What's the point in having two near identical products... That follow two completely different size charts.

Most truck companies have multiple price-point trucks.

The difference between the Ace classic and AF1 seems more substantial than say a Venture high vs Venture v-hollow when you think about it. The latter is just a difference in axle, kingpin, and plate manufacturing technique whereas the Aces use a completely different type of aluminum, axle, kingpin, pivot cup, nuts, and (currently at least) sizing. It is just that the emphasis isn't on weight reduction.

Re:the sizing, they have a shit ton of classics sitting around that need to sell. I'd be willing to bet that down the line they scrap the different sizing for most (if not all) of the trucks.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3326 on: April 01, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »
Dropping April 16th in Canada.

palelight

• Rep: 96
« Reply #3327 on: April 01, 2021, 11:33:29 AM »
Will the new baseplate design shave off any weight? Just curious bc that would be the only positive of the new graphic design on the bottom

Maybe a smidge. But it looks like the bulked up elsewhere so it's probably a wash (in reality I'm *guessing* they're going to be heavier than classics). 

palelight

• Rep: 96
« Reply #3328 on: April 01, 2021, 11:45:18 AM »
For anyone curious about the axle material:

https://www.jfs-steel.com/en/product/SCM440.html

Looks equivalent to 4140? Krux advertised their new trucks with the "SCM440" axles.

It's literally the same thing. Just the Asian market name for 4140. I'm guessing it's to seem different in ad copy. Same with the weirdly nondescript info about the alloy used. They say T6 in reference to the baseplates, soooo I'm guessing is 6061. Which is good stuff, so why not say it (cause Indy uses it for their forged plates?)? I get the wanting to set themselves apart thing, which is admirable. But I think the bar they have to cross is "as good as DLX/NHS, we promise" before I start believing any of that other fluff.

antarctica

« Reply #3329 on: April 01, 2021, 12:09:47 PM »
I think there might be a height diffrence in the af1's vs the classics. Hopped on aces website and was looking at the 44s and the height now reads "Truck height: 2.1" (53mm) Classic"  instead of the normal 52mm height. Also note the edition of the word Classic, guess there will really be two lines of trucks out at once.