Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739240 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3300 on: April 01, 2021, 10:05:14 AM »
Pretty spicy (for an Ace thread) in here. 5 new replies while I was typing this up.

Curious to see what the price difference is between the classics and AF1s. I do think the marketing is going to be used to justify a much higher price point, maybe similar to (or even slightly higher than) what other brands use with their forged hollow models.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3301 on: April 01, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No info on hanger sizes? That's the measurement that matters.
[close]

Bruh....
[close]

you know it.

axle width has very little influence on performance. i'm curious if the AF1 9"ers will have a shorter hanger so I can watch BigDave freak out some more.
[close]

lol I will not freak out. I will definitely be buying one pair of 66s immediately.
[close]

Me too.

I'll likely sample both the Af1 55s and 66s. My goal is to stick to one truck size though, so hope I can make the 66s work. I typically skate boards between 8.5 popsicles and 9.25" shapes.

Yeah, I am trying to do two setups. Ive got an 8.875 magenta on reg 55s w/ no risers, 53mm wheels I am riding at home on my mini, but what I need to get set up are these Transportation Unit Pelicans I bought, w/ 56mm wheels and bronson ceramics and 1/8s....salivating at doing that with the AF166s....even if the hanger is slightly more narrow than the 55s. I have a new set of 55s just hanging out now, but Im gonna hold out for the AF1s.
ok thanks

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3302 on: April 01, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
Curious that marketing sheet doesn't list that they are all hollow and forged, which was the rumor right?

Speed ring futures are about to get really volatile.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3303 on: April 01, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
 No way they are keeping the old classic line

Like there is so little changed here... What's the point in having two near identical products... That follow two completely different size charts.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3304 on: April 01, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
Will the new baseplate design shave off any weight? Just curious bc that would be the only positive of the new graphic design on the bottom

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3305 on: April 01, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »

Like there is so little changed here... What's the point in having two near identical products... That follow two completely different size charts.

Most truck companies have multiple price-point trucks.

The difference between the Ace classic and AF1 seems more substantial than say a Venture high vs Venture v-hollow when you think about it. The latter is just a difference in axle, kingpin, and plate manufacturing technique whereas the Aces use a completely different type of aluminum, axle, kingpin, pivot cup, nuts, and (currently at least) sizing. It is just that the emphasis isn't on weight reduction.

Re:the sizing, they have a shit ton of classics sitting around that need to sell. I'd be willing to bet that down the line they scrap the different sizing for most (if not all) of the trucks.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3306 on: April 01, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »
Dropping April 16th in Canada.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3307 on: April 01, 2021, 11:33:29 AM »
Will the new baseplate design shave off any weight? Just curious bc that would be the only positive of the new graphic design on the bottom

Maybe a smidge. But it looks like the bulked up elsewhere so it's probably a wash (in reality I'm *guessing* they're going to be heavier than classics). 

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3308 on: April 01, 2021, 11:45:18 AM »
For anyone curious about the axle material:

https://www.jfs-steel.com/en/product/SCM440.html

Looks equivalent to 4140? Krux advertised their new trucks with the "SCM440" axles.

It's literally the same thing. Just the Asian market name for 4140. I'm guessing it's to seem different in ad copy. Same with the weirdly nondescript info about the alloy used. They say T6 in reference to the baseplates, soooo I'm guessing is 6061. Which is good stuff, so why not say it (cause Indy uses it for their forged plates?)? I get the wanting to set themselves apart thing, which is admirable. But I think the bar they have to cross is "as good as DLX/NHS, we promise" before I start believing any of that other fluff.

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #3309 on: April 01, 2021, 12:09:47 PM »
I think there might be a height diffrence in the af1's vs the classics. Hopped on aces website and was looking at the 44s and the height now reads "Truck height: 2.1" (53mm) Classic"  instead of the normal 52mm height. Also note the edition of the word Classic, guess there will really be two lines of trucks out at once.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3310 on: April 01, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »
Can i get a general consensus of what size trucks, 8.5 Riders who are getting AF1s are looking at?

I usually ride 8.75 trucks on 8.5 decks so the 55 is looking good, but should I get the new 44?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3311 on: April 01, 2021, 12:47:31 PM »
I think there might be a height diffrence in the af1's vs the classics. Hopped on aces website and was looking at the 44s and the height now reads "Truck height: 2.1" (53mm) Classic"  instead of the normal 52mm height. Also note the edition of the word Classic, guess there will really be two lines of trucks out at once.
I wrote a week or so ago that the website changed the classics to 53mm tall. Randomly. Did the baseplate change too then?

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3312 on: April 01, 2021, 01:18:12 PM »
Can i get a general consensus of what size trucks, 8.5 Riders who are getting AF1s are looking at?

I usually ride 8.75 trucks on 8.5 decks so the 55 is looking good, but should I get the new 44?

Get the new 55 for sure. I also was skating 8.75 trucks on 8.5 and I went to the old 44 (8.3 axle) and they felt too narrow for me. The new 44 (8.25 axle) will be even narrower especially if you’re used to 8.75

Diocletian

« Reply #3313 on: April 01, 2021, 01:32:57 PM »
Expand Quote

Looks equivalent to 4140? Krux advertised their new trucks with the "SCM440" axles.
[close]

It's literally the same thing. Just the Asian market name for 4140. I'm guessing it's to seem different in ad copy. Same with the weirdly nondescript info about the alloy used. They say T6 in reference to the baseplates, soooo I'm guessing is 6061. Which is good stuff, so why not say it (cause Indy uses it for their forged plates?)? I get the wanting to set themselves apart thing, which is admirable. But I think the bar they have to cross is "as good as DLX/NHS, we promise" before I start believing any of that other fluff.

If that's the case, still plenty of bending potential. So basically, we got new sizes and marginal differences in terms of strength/performance. I'll just wait till I hit axle on my "classic" 44's, not rushing to buy these.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3314 on: April 01, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If that's the case, still plenty of bending potential. So basically, we got new sizes and marginal differences in terms of strength/performance. I'll just wait till I hit axle on my "classic" 44's, not rushing to buy these.

For sure, but that's true of any of the big companies that use 4140 as well. All in the heat treat. The new Ace heat treat could be killer. Or not. But it's all guessing until these are in people's hands that aren't being paid to say otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:43:34 PM by palelight »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #3315 on: April 01, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »
Lol, upgraded aesthetics with baseplate logos you will never see again...guess there ran out of things to hype.

So all I'm getting is a stronger truck due to better materials and better cups/bushings and standard industry sizes. I'll still try a pair because ACE...

*logo’s

I wish I could get hired as the skate industry’s proofreader
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3316 on: April 01, 2021, 02:04:58 PM »

I think that, if it did, they would be advertising it. My guess is that weight if the entire truck is the same or even heavier

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3317 on: April 01, 2021, 02:07:48 PM »

It will be truly wild if they keep the 44 classic so that there’s still a truck for 8.38” decks, instead of just making one line of trucks and introducing an Ace 49 or something

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3318 on: April 01, 2021, 02:21:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If the height is now 53 and no weight reduction, I'm going to stick with the upcoming Ti Mindy+Krux pin.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3319 on: April 01, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »
I took  my hanger width question to the DMs (god, I feel manly after that). The response was, "Check our story." And I did... nothing about hanger width just axle width. So I smoked a doobie like Joey T and now I'm patiently setting aside $50 for a pair of 66s... whatever...

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3320 on: April 01, 2021, 03:07:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Lol, upgraded aesthetics with baseplate logos you will never see again...guess there ran out of things to hype.

So all I'm getting is a stronger truck due to better materials and better cups/bushings and standard industry sizes. I'll still try a pair because ACE...
[close]

*logo’s

I wish I could get hired as the skate industry’s proofreader
Logos isn't possessive here but it is plural. Been paid to edit but shit slips by and sometimes it's a conversation. Who knows I could be wrong too?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3321 on: April 01, 2021, 03:25:34 PM »
I took  my hanger width question to the DMs (god, I feel manly after that). The response was, "Check our story." And I did... nothing about hanger width just axle width. So I smoked a doobie like Joey T and now I'm patiently setting aside $50 for a pair of 66s... whatever...

This is amazing.
ok thanks

kenjiro

« Reply #3322 on: April 01, 2021, 05:20:37 PM »
I mainly ride 8.25 - 8.5. Before i switched to ace i always rode 149 thunder or 5.8 venture. 8.5 trucks. Switching to ace last year, i got the 44s. Honestly did not like how I was magic carpeting on my 8.5 deck, made skating them so annoying. So i’ll be getting the AF-1 55’s. But nervous for the potential weight difference.

I was kinda skeptical on switching from the classics but i’ll give it a shot.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #3323 on: April 02, 2021, 04:26:00 AM »
Posted on ace's story regarding af1s.

upload private photos
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3324 on: April 02, 2021, 04:30:42 AM »

upload private photos

The "AF1" name/acronym worked out so well for this.
ok thanks

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3325 on: April 02, 2021, 04:32:57 AM »
Haven’t really been a fan of this rollout. Too much unknown, waiting for shops to post screenshots and sharing in IG story(?), overseas selling early accidentally, now April fools jokes. Just seems fumbled. Nothing wrong with making an official announcement and say “coming April 16th!”  That would build up to the release better.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3326 on: April 02, 2021, 04:37:28 AM »
Haven’t really been a fan of this rollout. Too much unknown, waiting for shops to post screenshots and sharing in IG story(?), overseas selling early accidentally, now April fools jokes. Just seems fumbled. Nothing wrong with making an official announcement and say “coming April 16th!”  That would build up to the release better.

Well not only that, but some US shops are saying "coming next week!" meanwhile Canadian shops seem to be all saying 4/16. Joey is in Jamaica eating coconut and making music whilst consuming copious amounts of The Devils Lettuce. Shrewgy is making april fools memes at red lights while on a bike ride. Pulsifer is plotting the return of Project in between personal trainer sessions as he prepares to deliver a 14 minute curb part for Thrasher. No one is in charge here. I love it.
ok thanks

stebe

« Reply #3327 on: April 02, 2021, 04:59:38 AM »

upload private photos

is it just me or does this size chart make zero sense/is way off from the sizes theyre stating on the other pic

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3328 on: April 02, 2021, 05:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote

is it just me or does this size chart make zero sense/is way off from the sizes theyre stating on the other pic

Take a look at the AF1 column name
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #3329 on: April 02, 2021, 05:22:17 AM »

upload private photos

I wish the 33s weren’t a joke.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea