Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738998 times)

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3390 on: April 05, 2021, 02:44:35 PM »
I am by no means an expert but from what I understand it is more than just adding material to the hanger. It is a different manufacturing process with different grades of metals. Anyway, options, you want light you got a lot of options. You want a good turn and don't care about weight, you got Ace.

Frank and/or Fred;;;;;thank u
ok thanks

ballintoohard

« Reply #3391 on: April 05, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »
They made mag plates once, could do it again.

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3392 on: April 05, 2021, 07:16:09 PM »
The release of the AF1 explains a lot about these mystery Ace 55's that I got back in November. I assumed they were knockoffs with a different baseplate and incorrectly stamped 44's. Any questions, ask away.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kqUK50k
So for the fuck of it, since the hanger width question is still eating at me, I measured an Indy 149 hangar and got 5 7/8" which is what the poster seems to be at with the Mercari AF1s. I'm guessing the 44s and 55s will have different hangar widths but anybody wanna measure some classic 44s and report back?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #3393 on: April 05, 2021, 07:54:54 PM »
Interesting, the original 44's clocked in around 380g, close to a set of Indy 149 standards. The new 55 with the extra axle length and hanger meat might put the weight in Stage VII territory. I'll wait until we get a true nerd out with the scale once these are in a pal's hands.

My 44s came in at 393g on my scale. Standard 144s are 387g. Aces are heavier than even standard Indy, at least in that size. That's grim.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #3394 on: April 05, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »
Anyone know if they're going to keep the lows in the line? I've recently become an 03 fan so I need to know if I should start hoarding.

Not really interested in a heavier, beefier Ace. I'm 36 and weight definitely matters to me so I was hyped about the rumored hollow/ti versions, bummed they're going the other way.

Oh well, at least I still have films to satisfy my turny mid-height 8.25 desires.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3395 on: April 05, 2021, 08:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Interesting, the original 44's clocked in around 380g, close to a set of Indy 149 standards. The new 55 with the extra axle length and hanger meat might put the weight in Stage VII territory. I'll wait until we get a true nerd out with the scale once these are in a pal's hands.
[close]

My 44s came in at 393g on my scale. Standard 144s are 387g. Aces are heavier than even standard Indy, at least in that size. That's grim.

The coffee needed for an espresso shot is around 18g.
I just weighed an individual packet of tapatio hot sauce, it was 8g.

You're talking 6g.
ok thanks

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3396 on: April 05, 2021, 08:36:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The coffee needed for an espresso shot is around 18g.
I just weighed an individual packet of tapatio hot sauce, it was 8g.

You're talking 6g.
😂 grim indeed.

For sale the 12th.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3397 on: April 07, 2021, 04:17:18 AM »
Just had a thought, does anyone think these AF1 with the harder materials will take away that "dead" sound?

Also, Youtube vids with AF1 marketing rolling out

Skatetool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr9yXBfioWM

Rethreader dies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbPxrpeWqkA
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3398 on: April 07, 2021, 04:42:55 AM »
yeah, i'm sold on the tool alone. my t-tools threads are slowly rounding out after 15 years or so. thought about getting a new, full metal one. this one is easy to pack away and adding the rethreaders is great imo, even if i probably won't use them a lot. but it's something you never have with you when you need it, and this is the best idea or format for one yet without making the tool too unwieldy to put into your pocket.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3399 on: April 07, 2021, 06:07:23 AM »
That tool looks nice. Glad to see they are starting with the most important info first....

But yeah I’ll be getting some.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3400 on: April 07, 2021, 06:20:32 AM »
yeah, i'm sold on the tool alone. my t-tools threads are slowly rounding out after 15 years or so. thought about getting a new, full metal one. this one is easy to pack away and adding the rethreaders is great imo, even if i probably won't use them a lot. but it's something you never have with you when you need it, and this is the best idea or format for one yet without making the tool too unwieldy to put into your pocket.

I have one of these all-in-one slim tools like that one and it sucks. The pieces fall out and dont stay together and when it's assembled, it feels flimsy. The driver pops out a lot. I am hopeful this one is made by someone else and is better quality.
ok thanks

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3401 on: April 07, 2021, 07:02:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have one of these all-in-one slim tools like that one and it sucks. The pieces fall out and dont stay together and when it's assembled, it feels flimsy. The driver pops out a lot. I am hopeful this one is made by someone else and is better quality.

The silver tool is the goat.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3402 on: April 07, 2021, 07:30:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The silver tool is the goat.

The file fell off my Silver day one and a month in the ratchet started acting weird (not engaging or being locked/no ratchet when set to a ratchet mode); it's still hanging on tho.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3403 on: April 07, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
I have some 55’s that are still completely fine, but if these A1 are $60/65+ I’ll prob wait and see how the reviews/feedback go. Don’t think I need to jump.

ballintoohard

« Reply #3404 on: April 07, 2021, 07:54:33 AM »
Tool is cool but they coulda done more to make a better truck than change to a barely different alloy and just add metal. Unfortunately that’s not how things work and won’t make the trucks stronger. But I don’t think their devotees care

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3405 on: April 07, 2021, 08:07:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably doesn't help much and off topic, but I have glued my slim tool together and find it works so much better than the other plastic handled tools I have, especially over deck bolts but before I glued it, yes it was a pain to use.  It is not something I would have in a pocket anyway, so never fell the need to break it down and have it tucked away.

Those rethreaders definitely seem pretty good, even if I just have the carabiner with the rethreaders, more so than another skate tool with the built in rethreader parts.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3406 on: April 07, 2021, 09:52:18 AM »
Just had a thought, does anyone think these AF1 with the harder materials will take away that "dead" sound?

Also, Youtube vids with AF1 marketing rolling out

Skatetool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr9yXBfioWM

Rethreader dies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbPxrpeWqkA

I'm hyped for the kingpin die. No other tool has one and the only one I know of is the super old Consolidated one.

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3407 on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:23 AM »
I have some 55’s that are still completely fine, but if these A1 are $60/65+ I’ll prob wait and see how the reviews/feedback go. Don’t think I need to jump.
Same here. I find 55's to be just fine with
8.6-9" boards I usually use and no need to change until they give up.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3408 on: April 07, 2021, 01:43:41 PM »
Indy taking shots at Ace/the AF1 tool?

I don't generally mess with my bushings with Ace, but the ida of the kingpin rethreader is cool to me.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3409 on: April 07, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »

I don't generally mess with my bushings with Ace, but the ida of the kingpin rethreader is cool to me.

LOL, so fucking dumb "Our trucks dont function as well, but you dont need a re-threader" is a pretty dumb take. Sit the fuck down, Indy. Sit this one out. Take the next couple of plays off.
ok thanks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3410 on: April 07, 2021, 03:41:47 PM »

Shots fired for sure.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3411 on: April 07, 2021, 04:04:32 PM »
Safe, then, to presume that Indy plans on run the inverted kingpin on all of their trucks?
Elsewise, why make such a fallacious argument?
Absent the inverted kingpin across all “platforms,” they’re just comparing apples to watermelons.
I enjoy Indys.
I enjoy Aces.
I even love Thunders.
But I especially love silly marketing tactics.
Indy, ya played yerself.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
« Reply #3412 on: April 07, 2021, 05:17:27 PM »

@ indy

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3413 on: April 07, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »
I have seen more stripped out and messed up inverted kingpin heads over the years that I could not fix, than any regular kingpin assembly, which is why I would never use or recommend inverted kingpins, no matter how much they push them, or what brand is doing them.

Just seems like someone is being a bit of a dumbass via Instagram.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diocletian

« Reply #3414 on: April 07, 2021, 08:26:07 PM »
Indy is getting a taste of its own medicine a little bit. When they arrived on the scene they blew up. Wasn't like that for Ace but now they've gotten to the point of really gaining traction and coming in hot. People are switching to Ace left and right. 

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3415 on: April 08, 2021, 05:00:09 AM »
Indy is getting a taste of its own medicine a little bit. When they arrived on the scene they blew up. Wasn't like that for Ace but now they've gotten to the point of really gaining traction and coming in hot. People are switching to Ace left and right.

The ace team is incredibly good and they have a good product. I'm glad they're competing with the big dogs now.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3416 on: April 08, 2021, 06:21:22 AM »

Hearing about all the hang ups with Indy mid kingpins on smith grinds, I would take needing to rethread one time every year or so over using indy mids.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3417 on: April 09, 2021, 07:36:32 AM »
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3418 on: April 09, 2021, 09:01:34 AM »
ok thanks

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3419 on: April 09, 2021, 09:05:21 AM »
And they still haven’t committed to telling anyone what changed or why we should want these