Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738911 times)

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3420 on: April 09, 2021, 09:16:45 AM »
And they still haven’t committed to telling anyone what changed or why we should want these

Look theyre new and shiny ok hashtag jah blessed
ok thanks

fernando the skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #3421 on: April 09, 2021, 09:17:55 AM »
And they still haven’t committed to telling anyone what changed or why we should want these

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3422 on: April 09, 2021, 09:19:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gimme some 66s and 77s now!

I asked on the IG and it looks like new softgoods too, hardware and wax.
ok thanks

ballintoohard

« Reply #3423 on: April 09, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
Sounds like absolute bullshit, there is not a viable alloy for a mass produced skate product that makes sense from a cost standpoint or is any stronger. Cast is cast for the most part unless they changed their entire foundry, but I don't know what method would alter the bonding process

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3424 on: April 09, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
Sounds like absolute bullshit, there is not a viable alloy for a mass produced skate product that makes sense from a cost standpoint or is any stronger. Cast is cast for the most part unless they changed their entire foundry, but I don't know what method would alter the bonding process

ok thanks
ok thanks

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3425 on: April 09, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »
if they went from sand casting to a traditional mold it could improve texture and consistency though.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3426 on: April 09, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »

Why does it sound like bullshit that they switched to a better alloy and heat treatment process? They've always used 7071, other brands use 6061, other uses 356.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3427 on: April 09, 2021, 11:39:07 AM »

Gimme some 66s and 77s now!

This. This. This. This.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3428 on: April 09, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
Bigger questions for me are:

-Will Joey T get that Jamaican mini ramp finished before the AF1s drop?
-And will the volcanic eruption on St Vincents strand him in Jamaica without a set of Af1 55s?

#Jahworried.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3429 on: April 09, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
Probably gonna cop the af1 55s at some point  but the more I see of them the more I don’t believe anything changed aside from sizes. So nothing substantial changed. What’s the weight and  Wheel base offset? All this is is adding a few sizes and giving a die to rethread. It’s like if someone shows you a magic trick and the more they show it to you the more you realize they are just palming the coin with their other hand.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the aces I’m on. But it is what it is.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3430 on: April 09, 2021, 11:56:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why does it sound like bullshit that they switched to a better alloy and heat treatment process? They've always used 7071, other brands use 6061, other uses 356.

Just brining this one up from earlier, no idea where Ace got the "7071" thing. 7075 is the type of aluminum they designate as aircraft grade. Never heard of or seen 7071 anywhere other than in Ace ad copy. And 356/6061 is basically the same (I think 356 is the casting grade code for 6061). The new ad says T6 on the baseplate stuff, that usually refers to 6061-T6. Which is good shit, especially for skate trucks. Harder aluminum (like real 7075) doesn't mean it'd be better for skate purposes. It's really hard (for aluminum) and I imagine would grind weird.

So not bullshit, it just sounds like they're using more industry standard stuff, like 4140 axles too. Which is good, they could be a little more clear about it. But it's skate product ad's, not exactly known for sober technically accurate reporting.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3431 on: April 09, 2021, 12:09:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just brining this one up from earlier, no idea where Ace got the "7071" thing. 7075 is the type of aluminum they designate as aircraft grade. Never heard of or seen 7071 anywhere other than in Ace ad copy. And 356/6061 is basically the same (I think 356 is the casting grade code for 6061). The new ad says T6 on the baseplate stuff, that usually refers to 6061-T6. Which is good shit, especially for skate trucks. Harder aluminum (like real 7075) doesn't mean it'd be better for skate purposes, it's really hard (for aluminum) and I imagine would grind weird.

Word. I was more commenting on the fact that it doesn't seem totally out of pocket that they're using a different alloy or heat treatment more akin to what Indy uses. Whatever they're been using feels softer than other cast trucks for sure.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3432 on: April 09, 2021, 12:20:18 PM »
All I keep seeing is...."After 15 years, we're finally using materials and manufacturing on par with our competitors" ... "oh and here's some new axle nuts, again!"

I'm still going to get a pair of the new 55s

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3433 on: April 09, 2021, 12:24:27 PM »
All I keep seeing is...."After 15 years, we're finally using materials and manufacturing on par with our competitors" ... "oh and here's some new axle nuts, again!"

Confused as to why this is being framed as some sort of letdown? Take the best turning trucks, make them as good as anyone on process and materials.....is good?
ok thanks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3434 on: April 09, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Confused as to why this is being framed as some sort of letdown? Take the best turning trucks, make them as good as anyone on process and materials.....is good?

Never said it wasn't good? Just stating facts.

TBH, I am more interested in the new pivot cups and bushings (as ACE bushings are sooo good in anything).

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3435 on: April 09, 2021, 12:55:32 PM »
Probably gonna cop the af1 55s at some point  but the more I see of them the more I don’t believe anything changed aside from sizes. So nothing substantial changed. What’s the weight and  Wheel base offset? All this is is adding a few sizes and giving a die to rethread. It’s like if someone shows you a magic trick and the more they show it to you the more you realize they are just palming the coin with their other hand.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the aces I’m on. But it is what it is.
Don't know anything about the weight change but the wheelbase offset will be +2.75" since they're keeping the same geometry

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3436 on: April 09, 2021, 01:16:41 PM »
I'm heaving a sigh as I realize I probably won't be able to stop myself from getting some AF1 44s in spite of the fact that I have an unskated pair of 44s on ice, am not convinced there have been any meaningful improvements with the redesign, and am also extremely irritated that they're no longer 8.38" axles. 

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3437 on: April 09, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »
I'm heaving a sigh as I realize I probably won't be able to stop myself from getting some AF1 44s in spite of the fact that I have an unskated pair of 44s on ice, am not convinced there have been any meaningful improvements with the redesign, and am also extremely irritated that they're no longer 8.38" axles.

In the exact same boat with 55s, just gonna buy the AF1s and drop off the Classics at my local

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3438 on: April 09, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In the exact same boat with 55s, just gonna buy the AF1s and drop off the Classics at my local

Yeah same, I've got 2-3 extra sets of 55s once AF1s drop, gonna donate them to something.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3439 on: April 09, 2021, 05:17:11 PM »
Pulsifer chimes in on the construction changes.

ok thanks

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3440 on: April 09, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »

Interesting. So that's the Paris truck guy correct? I mean, I know somewhere south of jack and shit about longboard trucks, but I do know those downhill folks are serious about their gear (aka, so they don't die).

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3441 on: April 09, 2021, 05:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting. So that's the Paris truck guy correct? I mean, I know somewhere south of jack and shit about longboard trucks, but I do know those downhill folks are serious about their gear (aka, so they don't die).

Joey Pulsifer has a well-established reputation for being a technical skateboard product nerd. I still use a project skate tool to this day, Joey’s design.
ok thanks

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #3442 on: April 09, 2021, 06:59:12 PM »
Never had ace. But might grab those 55’s for my cruiser/ curb board since I lost the trucks I was going to use

uptherecazaly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3443 on: April 09, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »
I'm sad that the (Old 66) 9.35" is gone but happy about a (New 77) 9.5"...

chrisskates808

« Reply #3444 on: April 09, 2021, 09:30:31 PM »
Installing was a pain but the results are great!

chrisskates808

« Reply #3445 on: April 09, 2021, 09:31:38 PM »
2nd
Don’t mind the crappy quality

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3446 on: April 09, 2021, 10:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
yeah, i'm sold on the tool alone. my t-tools threads are slowly rounding out after 15 years or so. thought about getting a new, full metal one. this one is easy to pack away and adding the rethreaders is great imo, even if i probably won't use them a lot. but it's something you never have with you when you need it, and this is the best idea or format for one yet without making the tool too unwieldy to put into your pocket.
[close]

I have one of these all-in-one slim tools like that one and it sucks. The pieces fall out and dont stay together and when it's assembled, it feels flimsy. The driver pops out a lot. I am hopeful this one is made by someone else and is better quality.

A little hack I figured out for this is to take a piece of thin grip (jessup off a roll, not the precut sheets, works best) and wrap it around the little screwdriver thing. It'll be really tight at first but wears down a little over time. You can also heat it up with a lighter to make it stick better and stretch out a bit. I've got like 6 of those cheap T-tools (the ones that come with hardware for $5 on amazon) and keep them everywhere. One in my backpack, one in the basement skate room, one at work, one with a rethreader in my parts bin etc.

I use a silver tool for my actual setup ritual though, you can loctite the little screw that holds the file to prevent it from falling off or just use gorilla glue to stick it back on when you inevitably lose the screw. I will say switching to a full size metal file with a handle makes everything look cleaner feel and more satisfying though.

uptherecazaly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3447 on: April 10, 2021, 04:10:32 AM »
does anyone have a screenshot of bail gun gary 's Ace 77s on instagram?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3448 on: April 10, 2021, 08:35:11 AM »

Noticed a few ppl complaining about the classic 44’s being an 8.38 axle - they’re actually 8.35 which is why the wheels don’t sit perfectly flush on an 8.38 deck.

They are an 8 3/8" truck. I don't believe anyone would ever notice the difference between 8.35 and 8.38 and have no idea where Ace learned to round up decimal points. The wheels don't sit flush because of the hanger width not the axle width.

If you like to line up your axles with your deck width you will almost always have your wheels slightly tucked in. If you like to line up your wheels with the deck you will likely need wider axles than deck width.

As for the other comments on AF1 vs Classic as soon as you pick up a pair you will see they are different trucks indeed.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3449 on: April 10, 2021, 10:10:58 AM »

Nothing wrong with the classic trucks so it’s all marketing to make more money at this point ;)

So Pulsifer is lying and they didnt change construction at all and its just marketing? ok thanks
ok thanks