Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747255 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3870 on: April 25, 2021, 08:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote

Pretty clear the new top bushing shape is a response to the bush herniating from neath the top cup washer.
Any reports from new AF1 owners, re: bushing bulge?
[close]

None, and I am cranked down an extra 1.5+ turns on stock, the redesign was clearly to address this.

Agree with the person earlier that said these are even looser. Its for sure the case.
haven’t broken in enough? Curious about that
And as @FrozenIndustries said above, good info and good to know.

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3871 on: April 25, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »
Have had mine for just under a week. Put the 66’s on my curb/ bowl setup. I’m a bigger dude at 190/200 and they are for sure loose but we all know that. I’m having a ton of fun on the setup I have them on. I haven’t touched my popsicle all week actually.  Are they going to replace my ventures on my main setup? Nah. But they are perfect for what I’m doing with the deck they are on and are smashing through some shitty curbs with ease.

kenjiro

« Reply #3872 on: April 25, 2021, 11:05:30 AM »
what was the height of classics compared to af 1?

and what is the wheelbase now? in line with indy?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3873 on: April 25, 2021, 11:27:25 AM »
There's a 130 page Ace thread with pretty much all info you need...

Af1s:
-Same height.
-Very slight increase in wheelbase.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #3874 on: April 25, 2021, 12:30:51 PM »
The slightly wider wheelbase on the AF1 55's have for sure provided more noticeable stability along with the extra 0.25 width on the axle (8.35 - 8.5) in comparison with classic 44's.

AF1 55's feel better overall and more sturdy than the classics for 8.38 and 8.5 decks. 

Classic 44's are less stable when paired with 14.25 or lower WB decks. They feel & perform way better with 14.3 -14.5 WB decks. AF1 55's still feel better (much more stable & easier to manual) with 14.3 -14.5 WB decks and also more stable on decks with 14.25 WB.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3875 on: April 25, 2021, 08:51:50 PM »
Has anyone tried the Krux kingpin with the AF1’s? I run them in my current set of Indy hollows and love them, but I’m pretty sure the ace kp’s are longer than Indy’s (taller bushings, too). I wouldn’t want to mess up the geometry or have to run smaller sized bushings in the AF1’s.

Chronic85

« Reply #3876 on: April 26, 2021, 01:52:51 AM »
Yo,

since im much too lazy to read 130 pages and the search function doesnt work for me i just got one question for you guys.

What size AF1 would you pick for a 8.75 Deck (AH Classic Eagle). 55 or 66.
Ordered the 55 cause i live in Germany and the 66 came in some days later after the other sizes. Impatient as fuck.

But im thinking maybe the 66 wouldve been the better choice....

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3877 on: April 26, 2021, 02:02:22 AM »
55 is like riding Indy 149 with it, you will be ok. Maybe just put some more speed rings from the inside to reduce the magic carpet feeling.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3878 on: April 26, 2021, 05:58:53 AM »
Yo,

since im much too lazy to read 130 pages and the search function doesnt work for me i just got one question for you guys.

What size AF1 would you pick for a 8.75 Deck (AH Classic Eagle). 55 or 66.
Ordered the 55 cause i live in Germany and the 66 came in some days later after the other sizes. Impatient as fuck.

But im thinking maybe the 66 wouldve been the better choice....

Either will work. If you like flip tricks and more technical street skating you might prefer 55s. If you skate more transition and curbs you might prefer 66s.

Or, you could get wider wheels with 55s and thinner wheels with 66s.

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3879 on: April 26, 2021, 07:16:50 AM »
I usually sand my bushings down a few millimetres with the classics. Will I even need to with the AF1s if they feel looser? Got a set at home I might set up this week as my current classics are down to the axle.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3880 on: April 26, 2021, 07:28:53 AM »
Has anyone tried the Krux kingpin with the AF1’s? I run them in my current set of Indy hollows and love them, but I’m pretty sure the ace kp’s are longer than Indy’s (taller bushings, too). I wouldn’t want to mess up the geometry or have to run smaller sized bushings in the AF1’s.

I too am interested in this. I bought a set of Krux kingpins but kind of dont want to mess with the stock set up as it stands.
ok thanks

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #3881 on: April 26, 2021, 07:41:58 AM »
I usually sand my bushings down a few millimetres with the classics. Will I even need to with the AF1s if they feel looser? Got a set at home I might set up this week as my current classics are down to the axle.

Probably not.  I ride mine factory loose
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3882 on: April 26, 2021, 07:58:57 AM »
Rode my old 44's to the liquor store  on my cruiser to pad the fridge during a commercial break watching the Oscar's.

Keep in mind I was a bit drunk, but the old 44's turn like Tensor's compared the AF1's.  I was really surprised.

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #3883 on: April 26, 2021, 08:02:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks, I’ll give them a go without messing with them.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3884 on: April 26, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, I’ll give them a go without messing with them.

That's my plan, especially with everyone saying they are looser than classics (I always loosened up the classics); but I'm probably going to swap out for some sleeved flat washers, I've grown accustomed to my indys with ace bushings/flat sleeved washers.

I am surprised that stock, has a couple of kingpin threads showing, not a big deal but usually new trucks are flush; are the top bushings shorter now?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3885 on: April 26, 2021, 12:29:17 PM »
I am surprised that stock, has a couple of kingpin threads showing, not a big deal but usually new trucks are flush; are the top bushings shorter now?
I have one with one thread showing and one that's flush. Stock tightness isn't as precise as some may assume or maybe some kingpins have an extra thread or two, idk.

Top bushing seems shorter to me but I guess it could just be the shape change.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:37:47 PM by Firebert »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3886 on: April 26, 2021, 12:29:35 PM »
Top Bushings are the same size according to Ace.

I never would have thought truck companies, consistently tightened each and every truck they sell to the exact same point? Everyone tweaks things to their own preference, anyway.

Fhk

« Reply #3887 on: April 26, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »
I just got some classic 55s direct from Ace and there are definitely a few threads showing on one and a single thread showing on the other..I wonder do they torque the nuts down to a certain spec or what is the rhythm/reason to it? I was also wondering if these are different washers now, because I can't see the bushing bulge thing problem being possible with these? Either way I can't wait to skate them.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3888 on: April 26, 2021, 03:53:49 PM »
Top Bushings are the same size according to Ace.

I never would have thought truck companies, consistently tightened each and every truck they sell to the exact same point? Everyone tweaks things to their own preference, anyway.

I've no clue who would handle this in the assembly process or if they already do this, but the use of a torque wrench (measuring Newtons) would be simple and give pretty consistent results every time. I think most people really into cycling use torque wrenches so their shit stays reliably consistent.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3889 on: April 26, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »
I just got some classic 55s direct from Ace and there are definitely a few threads showing on one and a single thread showing on the other..I wonder do they torque the nuts down to a certain spec or what is the rhythm/reason to it? I was also wondering if these are different washers now, because I can't see the bushing bulge thing problem being possible with these? Either way I can't wait to skate them.

Yes, they upgraded the washers (and bushings).

Also, the stock bottoms on the AF1s are a few mm taller compared to classic bottoms (never ridden), it's like thunder bottom height; tops seem to be the same height. and the feel in hand is very different, hard to explain but they feel nice :P

I've not set them up yet but have loosened them to be flush. I know all manus do it differently but we all know from experience that sit always comes flush, this is the first new truck I've bought (and I buy too many) that has ever had threads showing. Even Theeve, which have taller kingpins like ACE never have extra threads showing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:49:42 PM by Xen »

ballintoohard

« Reply #3890 on: April 27, 2021, 07:18:21 AM »
Got some 44 AF1 to try, if the wheelbase is thaaaat close to Indy and they pinch better they could be my ticket.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #3891 on: April 27, 2021, 07:33:36 AM »
Set my AF1 44's up on a christmas complete. Stood on it in the living room and they feel hella loose. Hitting the park after work for the first session, should be interesting.

Deck is an 8.25 Hockey. Went two speed rings on the hanger side nothing none on the axle nut side, I'll start there and see how it feels.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:43:04 AM by arrbee »
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fhk

« Reply #3892 on: April 27, 2021, 07:39:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, they upgraded the washers (and bushings).

Also, the stock bottoms on the AF1s are a few mm taller compared to classic bottoms (never ridden), it's like thunder bottom height; tops seem to be the same height. and the feel in hand is very different, hard to explain but they feel nice :P

I've not set them up yet but have loosened them to be flush. I know all manus do it differently but we all know from experience that sit always comes flush, this is the first new truck I've bought (and I buy too many) that has ever had threads showing. Even Theeve, which have taller kingpins like ACE never have extra threads showing.
Thanks man I ended up just rocking them back forth while watching tv last night. Absolutely no problems with the herniated bushings and they stiffened almost to where I want them in less than 20 minutes. Being around 200 lbs probably helped speed that process up!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3893 on: April 27, 2021, 07:45:32 AM »
Need some footie of Slap Truck Nerds rocking back and fore on their brand new AF1s on the living room carpet as they catch up on their Netflix shows.

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3894 on: April 27, 2021, 08:02:32 AM »
Got some 44 AF1 to try, if the wheelbase is thaaaat close to Indy and they pinch better they could be my ticket.

Mine already have a decent crook groove. They’re the shit

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #3895 on: April 27, 2021, 08:03:16 AM »
if anyone flips and wants to ditch their af1 55s i have some inferior thunders indys and ventures ready for trade

anti-bolts

• Rep: -2
  • andy shitcock
« Reply #3896 on: April 27, 2021, 11:02:55 AM »
does anyone know the exact wb comparison from indy standards to the af1? i really want to switch to ace because of the shortened wheelbase but idk if i want the af1 if the wb is about the same as indy

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #3897 on: April 27, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
Need some footie of Slap Truck Nerds rocking back and fore on their brand new AF1s on the living room carpet as they catch up on their Netflix shows.

AF1s are perfect for the Lay-Z boy, but I still prefer the stability of Venture for when I sit on the couch.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3898 on: April 27, 2021, 01:36:03 PM »
Has anyone who has been skating the AF1s noticed them to be weirdly/randomly sticky?

There is an enameled and waxed curb that I skated pretty often, and yesterday I skated it back to back with my classics and AF1s. With the latter, the grind would often stick or rapidly slow down after a very short distance.

It was a very strange and frustrating experience, especially after experiencing how well they ground on a couple other spots that I frequent.

Edit: I've had the issue at a couple spots, but I mention yesterday's session specifically because I got to skate both he Classics and AFs back to back.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 01:47:25 PM by FrozenIndustries »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3899 on: April 27, 2021, 02:30:07 PM »
Has anyone who has been skating the AF1s noticed them to be weirdly/randomly sticky?

There is an enameled and waxed curb that I skated pretty often, and yesterday I skated it back to back with my classics and AF1s. With the latter, the grind would often stick or rapidly slow down after a very short distance.

It was a very strange and frustrating experience, especially after experiencing how well they ground on a couple other spots that I frequent.

Edit: I've had the issue at a couple spots, but I mention yesterday's session specifically because I got to skate both he Classics and AFs back to back.

I said in this other thread that I got some 77's for a oldschool setup and I was trying to feeble slappy this crusty slappy curb but kept having a hardtime rolling away, so I tried with my normal set-up with worn down indy's and I did it within 2/3 tries. I had to wax the shit out of the curb to be able to roll away with the aces, but I wasn't sure if it was just the kingpin getting caught (my Indys kingpin is pretty worn down tbh), or the ace's that are sticky. They felt fine grinding the park long ledge with metal coping (but I guess nothing really sticks on that). Other than that they felt great cruising around!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP