Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747393 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3900 on: April 27, 2021, 02:49:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone who has been skating the AF1s noticed them to be weirdly/randomly sticky?

There is an enameled and waxed curb that I skated pretty often, and yesterday I skated it back to back with my classics and AF1s. With the latter, the grind would often stick or rapidly slow down after a very short distance.

It was a very strange and frustrating experience, especially after experiencing how well they ground on a couple other spots that I frequent.

Edit: I've had the issue at a couple spots, but I mention yesterday's session specifically because I got to skate both he Classics and AFs back to back.
[close]

I said in this other thread that I got some 77's for a oldschool setup and I was trying to feeble slappy this crusty slappy curb but kept having a hardtime rolling away, so I tried with my normal set-up with worn down indy's and I did it within 2/3 tries. I had to wax the shit out of the curb to be able to roll away with the aces, but I wasn't sure if it was just the kingpin getting caught (my Indys kingpin is pretty worn down tbh), or the ace's that are sticky. They felt fine grinding the park long ledge with metal coping (but I guess nothing really sticks on that). Other than that they felt great cruising around!

Word, thank you, this makes me feel a little less crazy. so the kingpin on my 55 classics is pretty much fully exposed and sticks sometimes/is getting ground down, but on my AF1s I was sticking on like 5050s and crooks where my kingpin isn't even close to the curb.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #3901 on: April 27, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone who has been skating the AF1s noticed them to be weirdly/randomly sticky?

There is an enameled and waxed curb that I skated pretty often, and yesterday I skated it back to back with my classics and AF1s. With the latter, the grind would often stick or rapidly slow down after a very short distance.

It was a very strange and frustrating experience, especially after experiencing how well they ground on a couple other spots that I frequent.

Edit: I've had the issue at a couple spots, but I mention yesterday's session specifically because I got to skate both he Classics and AFs back to back.
[close]

I said in this other thread that I got some 77's for a oldschool setup and I was trying to feeble slappy this crusty slappy curb but kept having a hardtime rolling away, so I tried with my normal set-up with worn down indy's and I did it within 2/3 tries. I had to wax the shit out of the curb to be able to roll away with the aces, but I wasn't sure if it was just the kingpin getting caught (my Indys kingpin is pretty worn down tbh), or the ace's that are sticky. They felt fine grinding the park long ledge with metal coping (but I guess nothing really sticks on that). Other than that they felt great cruising around!
[close]

Word, thank you, this makes me feel a little less crazy. so the kingpin on my 55 classics is pretty much fully exposed and sticks sometimes/is getting ground down, but on my AF1s I was sticking on like 5050s and crooks where my kingpin isn't even close to the curb.

Just finished my first session on the 44 AF1 significantly worse grind than classics to me. I stuck on almost every ledge that I typically grind with ease.

I also ghost popped quite a bit with the different wheelbase. The flip tricks and pop came got better through the session but the grind never got better.

Going to give them one more session and I’ve there isn’t improvement I’m gonna have to go back to classics.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fhk

« Reply #3902 on: April 27, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »
Need some footie of Slap Truck Nerds rocking back and fore on their brand new AF1s on the living room carpet as they catch up on their Netflix shows.
I will try to get an edit together..I had mid thigh running shorts on though so there will likely have to be a slight charge. My apologies.

Tarquin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3903 on: April 27, 2021, 03:41:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just finished my first session on the 44 AF1 significantly worse grind than classics to me. I stuck on almost every ledge that I typically grind with ease.

I also ghost popped quite a bit with the different wheelbase. The flip tricks and pop came got better through the session but the grind never got better.

Going to give them one more session and I’ve there isn’t improvement I’m gonna have to go back to classics.

Fuck, now you have me worried about setting them up this weekend. 5050s are mostly all I do!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #3904 on: April 27, 2021, 04:59:17 PM »
4th session here and everything is all broken in and they feel great.  Had some clicking on the second session, but it’s long gone now.  Getting a nice slappy groove.  Pop has leveled out.  Really really happy with these. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3905 on: April 27, 2021, 04:59:55 PM »
Damn, I was holding off setting up my AF1s up but now I really want to know for myself.

The Classics felt a little soft and sticky on curbs compared to Indy and Thunder to me, but were good on hard edge and pool coping...

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3906 on: April 27, 2021, 05:05:24 PM »
My AF1 44s and a deck I ordered with them got delivered to the wrong address and no one knows what the fuck is going on with that package, so I'm pretty stoked.  It'll get sorted, but the sad state of our once proud USPS has really put me in an existential tailspin.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #3907 on: April 27, 2021, 05:40:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fuck, now you have me worried about setting them up this weekend. 5050s are mostly all I do!

I stuck on probably 65% of the grinds I tried today. The other 30% were done on transition. And the remaining 5 I either landed or they actually grinded and I just didn’t make the trick.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3908 on: April 27, 2021, 07:40:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I stuck on probably 65% of the grinds I tried today. The other 30% were done on transition. And the remaining 5 I either landed or they actually grinded and I just didn’t make the trick.

For me, some of the stuff I skate, the grinds were super smooth and fast and then others I just stopped dead. Painted and waxed parking blocks? Fast. Very worn down and waxed curb? Fast. Bricked and enameled curb? Sticky. Granite steps? Sticky.

I love the stability and pop on the AFs but it's just odd the grind is inconsistent.

music critic

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3909 on: April 27, 2021, 08:24:45 PM »
Tried out some 44 AF1's today and after carefully watching this thread I was pleasantly surprised.  I'm coming off of venture 5.6's and when i put them up to each other the aces hanger was slightly shorter than the ventures, even accounting for the coned or "faced" hanger there was a little extra hanger on the venture's, nothing too serious but just annoyed me that they wern't the same.

Turn:  The stock tightness is very loose as other have said, I did a full turn tighter and after an hour or so they started to stiffen up and feel more broken in.  The turn is good, having not skated aces in years it took a second to get used to the deep carve you can get once you reach a certain point, but up until that point it feels pretty stable and comfortable.  only skated for a few hours so we will see how the really break in.

Grind:  Noticed no issues with the grind like others are saying, it felt fast honestly but my other trucks were pretty beat.  I slappied a few painted curbs and grinded a marble bench a few times and I had no issues at all.

Pop:  The wheelbase is smaller than venture's i believe so the pop felt a bit more responsive but not as snappy as venture, which was the selling point that got me on v's in the first place.  I could still get my flip tricks up to the same height but just feels different of course.  Tre flips felt great.

Pivot cup: feels good, no issues with mushing or squeaking like others have said, although i could see some lube that was coming out of it, which leads me to my next point

Sound!:  My only complaint, what the fuck is up with the way they sound.  It felt like i had water in my ears, its like new bearings but even worse.  I'm assuming it has to be from the grease in the pivot cup, I really hope it goes away.  It's really similar to the dead sound of new bearings but at least it doesnt make your board feel dead.

Overall I really enjoyed them, ace's wheelbase had always kept me away but hearing they got SLIGHTLY extended sold me enough to give them a shot.  We'll see how I feel after two weeks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:38:06 PM by music critic »

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3910 on: April 27, 2021, 10:38:32 PM »
Sorry if this was asked before, but are 55 AF1s the 44 Classic equivalent? Skatedeluxe says both have 146mm hangers. AF1 44s supposedly have a 140mm hanger which is smaller than Indy 144s and puts them to 139 territory.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3911 on: April 28, 2021, 07:14:04 AM »
Sorry if this was asked before, but are 55 AF1s the 44 Classic equivalent? Skatedeluxe says both have 146mm hangers. AF1 44s supposedly have a 140mm hanger which is smaller than Indy 144s and puts them to 139 territory.

Yes, AF1 55s and 44 classics are basically the same, slightly longer axle on the 55 AF1s.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3912 on: April 28, 2021, 08:06:50 AM »
Well, I can now weigh in after a lot of reading this thread! I put AF1 77s on my Heroin 10" egg, and holy shit they feel totally different than Indys. I had to tighten the kingpin nuts until three or four threads were showing... something unheard of with my usual Indy/Bones mediums combo, which I run flush.

Very surfy, with a far narrower "neutral" center zone than I'm used to with my Indys. I would characterize them as more responsive.

56mm wheels on 1/8" risers, and wheel bite was easier than Indys. Even with the tightened kingpin nuts I was still needed to wax the wheel wells.

I've read that the bushings will stiffen up, but I'm a chonker at 200lbs so I'm sceptical that the stock bushings will hold up for me. Any big fellas got any experience in the area?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3913 on: April 28, 2021, 08:09:12 AM »
Well, I can now weigh in after a lot of reading this thread! I put AF1 77s on my Heroin 10" egg, and holy shit they feel totally different than Indys. I had to tighten the kingpin nuts until three or four threads were showing... something unheard of with my usual Indy/Bones mediums combo, which I run flush.

Very surfy, with a far narrower "neutral" center zone than I'm used to with my Indys and I would characterize them as more responsive.

56mm wheels on 1/8" risers, and wheel bite was easier than Indys. Even with the tightened kingpin nuts I was still needed to wax the wheel wells.

I've read that the bushings will stiffen up, but I'm a chonker at 200lbs so I'm sceptical that the stock bushings will hold up for me. Any big fellas got any experience in the area?

6'3" and 205. Mine stiffened up after about an hour and  firmed up a bit more over the next few sessions. I started them 1/2 turn tighter from how they came and have since loosened them 1/4 turn.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3914 on: April 28, 2021, 08:50:08 AM »
Expand Quote

Very surfy, with a far narrower "neutral" center zone than I'm used to with my Indys and I would characterize them as more responsive.

[close]

6'3" and 205. Mine stiffened up after about an hour and  firmed up a bit more over the next few sessions. I started them 1/2 turn tighter from how they came and have since loosened them 1/4 turn.

Word. I'll hang in there.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3915 on: April 28, 2021, 12:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, AF1 55s and 44 classics are basically the same, slightly longer axle on the 55 AF1s.

Slightly longer hanger also.

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3916 on: April 28, 2021, 12:56:27 PM »
Skated my AF1s for a couple of hours after work today. Kept them as they came like augustmoon said. They turned a lot like my broken in classics I just finished with for the first half hour, until the bushings firmed up and I had to loosen them a bit.

Whoever mentioned the noise they make being weird is exactly right. Sounded kind of muffled when rolling, like my ears were blocked or something. Grinds sound noticeably quieter so far as well. Didn’t experience any sticking with grinds, mostly just did 5050s and 5-0s on this granite curb but they worked fine. Slappys felt a bit off but they might just need to loosen up still. Overall, I like them a lot so far. The turn feels great and I can tell they’ll break in quickly. Only negative is the weird noise thing but I’ll probably get used to it. I’ll try them on some transition tomorrow.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3917 on: April 28, 2021, 05:27:25 PM »
Top Bushings are the same size according to Ace.

I never would have thought truck companies, consistently tightened each and every truck they sell to the exact same point? Everyone tweaks things to their own preference, anyway.

This always confuses me, too. Like there's no way Ace is putting on the nyloc with a torque wrench - someone in the factory in China just uses some automatic tool to slap that thing on. They're probably doing like 10 trucks a minute, I doubt they're counting threads.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Slugboi22

• Rep: 67
« Reply #3918 on: April 28, 2021, 05:36:48 PM »
have had mine since the day after they came out and my pivot cup is already fucked. got after market riptides and those tore in the first session. i’m not even that big so i think maybe i have a fucked up baseplate. pretty upset to say the least :/

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3919 on: April 28, 2021, 05:45:55 PM »
have had mine since the day after they came out and my pivot cup is already fucked. got after market riptides and those tore in the first session. i’m not even that big so i think maybe i have a fucked up baseplate. pretty upset to say the least :/

Stock bushings and setup, or changed?

More curious than anything, but I know lower bottom bushings blow out pivot cups a whole lot and Ace has such a tall bottom bushing.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3920 on: April 28, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
Just ordered some 55 AF1s in........

.....gold. ugh.

Got a 9" board with lots of taper. 66s wont work.
ok thanks

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #3921 on: April 28, 2021, 06:06:12 PM »
My AF1 55s arrived in the mail today.  One of the trucks had what appeared to be a large strand of human female hair wedged between the top bushing and washer.  Maybe it’s a new personal touch they’ve added to the manufacturing process... ?

I’ve really been enjoying the Ace classics 55s for the past few months on a few setups. Looking forward to trying the AF1s soon

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3922 on: April 28, 2021, 06:09:56 PM »
My AF1 55s arrived in the mail today.  One of the trucks had what appeared to be a large strand of human female hair wedged between the top bushing and washer.  Hopefully that’s a good omen... ?

I’ve really been enjoying the Ace classics 55s for the past few months on a few setups. Looking forward to trying the AF1s soon

Do put some shine on your forensic skillz to be able to discern it was female...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3923 on: April 28, 2021, 06:10:40 PM »
Just ordered some 55 AF1s in........

.....gold. ugh.

Gross. Sorry dude.

Slugboi22

« Reply #3924 on: April 28, 2021, 06:55:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

More curious than anything, but I know lower bottom bushings blow out pivot cups a whole lot and Ace has such a tall bottom bushing.
stock bushings. I’m super annoyed. went to the dms (like a man) and received a passive aggressive response. guess it’s back to thunders

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3925 on: April 28, 2021, 07:11:24 PM »
Took mine for a test ride at the local park today and they were wonderful. Didn't touch the kingpin nut at all and the bushings felt nice and broken in from the first step on. I also weigh around 180 pounds for reference.

Pop was nice I didn't really notice the geometry change personally.

Running 44's an 8.3 ishod twin tail. Had no wheel bite on 53ish conical fulls. I didn't get a great grind test because my local park has rounded edge angle iron on the ledges but crooks, 5-0's and nosegrinds felt fine. The fit and finish on them is noticeably better than my older ace 44's.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3926 on: April 28, 2021, 07:32:52 PM »
My AF1 55s arrived in the mail today.  One of the trucks had what appeared to be a large strand of human female hair wedged between the top bushing and washer.  Maybe it’s a new personal touch they’ve added to the manufacturing process... ?

If it smells like ganja then it was probably a strand from
Dr. Tershay himself. Leave it in for an irie ride, mon
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:40:37 PM by Rubbrick »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3927 on: April 28, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
stock bushings. I’m super annoyed. went to the dms (like a man) and received a passive aggressive response. guess it’s back to thunders

Bummer about the response to your issue. DLX would not treat a customer that way... If only DLX made a truck that turned like old Indys.

Slugboi22

« Reply #3928 on: April 28, 2021, 07:58:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Bummer about the response to your issue. DLX would not treat a customer that way... If only DLX made a truck that turned like old Indys.
Well I have a friend who knows someone who works in the warehouse. Luckily I am somewhat close to it so hopefully I can get sorted out. To be honest, I’m sort of excited to try thunders again. It’s been a minute

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3929 on: April 28, 2021, 08:08:15 PM »
I just got my first pair of Ace trucks and after a quick ride decided to order some Bones bushings. I've only had about 30 mins on the trucks but they seem to be pulling to one side. The only thing I did was loosen the kingpin nut a bit on each truck, but they should be even. Given some of the posts here I might like these trucks with Bones. They feel pretty light and I love a brand new truck, so we shall see. I'm not really partial to any one truck brand, although I do like Independent, Thunder and Gullwings (replace bushings immediately).