Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743905 times)

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4110 on: May 16, 2021, 07:14:15 AM »
Two weeks @Roisto ?! Nicely done.
This man is setting the example of a super shalom lifestyle

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #4111 on: May 16, 2021, 09:42:44 AM »
Always interesting to see pro setups and all the weird and wonderful things that they do.

Ronnie looks like he is running the Ace classic top bushing on the bottom with no washer, then the standard thunder top yellow see through bushing on top with metal washer, which when in the sun looks yellow as per the screenshot, but looks almost black in a couple of other shots when it is in the shade.

Having a lower bushing and no washer on the bottom would mean he could tighten the truck down some while still having it rattling loose (but still maintain some control over the trucks turn).

I saved half a dozen screen shots of the setup just to check it out, but after he put the new trucks on which still had the stock bushings in the first close up, it looks like the same bushings the whole session, that he took out of his old trucks.

What wheels are those? Radials?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4112 on: May 16, 2021, 11:32:26 AM »
i would say 52 full conical 99a if i had to bet. i remember seing them in the video in closeup.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4113 on: May 16, 2021, 11:56:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i would say 52 full conical 99a if i had to bet. i remember seing them in the video in closeup.

I'm riding 54mm Conical Fulls and they are nowhere near that rounded.

Look like Radials to me?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4114 on: May 16, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Look like Radials to me.

My 53mm Radials are wide. But not as wide as these wheels here. Someone should DM him like a man. ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4115 on: May 16, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »
Judging by that video Ron is not a man to indulge in equipment chat.

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4116 on: May 16, 2021, 01:23:27 PM »
I took the pivot cup out to check the damage. It was just the top area. But I noticed where the damage on the pivot cup is the exact place the pivot cup cavity(?) hole has a weird ding or is out of round in that spot. I then put the pivot cup back so the damage is not in the same out of round area of the cavity to see if I get damage in that spot again. To see if the out of round is causing it. Sorry the pictures are out of order below.

So I had my second session on my AF1s. After taking the pivot cup out to check how busted it was (not as bad as I thought). The first like 20 minutes of skating I had a clicking noise and it drove me nuts. Then after that first 20min I think the bushings firmed up enough and I loosened them had a lot of fun with them and by the end I didn’t notice them clicking and was intentionally trying to get them to and at that point the clicking stopped. Idk if it stopped for good but at some point on that session it stopped.  My verdict is still out but the last little bit of that session I would put them over the classics. But I’m still skeptical.

Also I have a video of me making them click by hand after setting them back up. If that’s something you guys may find useful.

Sorry if I missed this on an earlier post but how old are your trucks? Your baseplate and pivot cavity weren't machined to tolerance, it seems. That's a really rough looking area. As others have said, reach out to them for a replacement.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #4117 on: May 16, 2021, 04:17:04 PM »
Judging by that video Ron is not a man to indulge in equipment chat.

Seemed like he would have rather been anywhere else doing anything else lol, I felt bad for Matt Price... he kinda got vibed out
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4118 on: May 16, 2021, 04:59:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Look like Radials to me.
[close]

My 53mm Radials are wide. But not as wide as these wheels here. Someone should DM him like a man. ^^

If I had to guess, he's riding much bigger wheels than 53mm...

I'm thinking that they probably are Conical fulls (based off the blue graphic, radials were either tinted wheels or used the Big Head style image) and in a 55mm+ size but [clearly] worn down.

Radials:
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Spitfire_F4_Skate_Like_A_Girl_99a_Wheels/descpage-SFSKGWH.html

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/ (scroll down for 'big head' radial graphics)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4119 on: May 16, 2021, 05:45:34 PM »
I would be going with 53 or 54 mm conical full wheels, based on the same size and shape that I have had and seen on boards I have set up / friends boards.

They actually have quite a rounded looking edge when new and skated a bit, and it looks like Ronnie has left out a washer or two on a couple of them, making them sit further in, but they are on AF1 44s, which are only 8.25 so that size is about right.

Screen shot of wheel graphic.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:20:14 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

kenjiro

« Reply #4120 on: May 16, 2021, 06:29:53 PM »
thinking of adding some 1/8 risers to my aces. i get a lil wheelbite but i am thinking of doing it to change the pop. anyone have experience on what risers do to the pop?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4121 on: May 16, 2021, 07:17:17 PM »
never had ace’s thinking about getting some classics in either 11 or 22. I have a 7.6” cruiser, with some wide ass 60mm wheels. go smaller, or same size as deck?
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #4122 on: May 16, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »
thinking of adding some 1/8 risers to my aces. i get a lil wheelbite but i am thinking of doing it to change the pop. anyone have experience on what risers do to the pop?

I always ride 1/8-1/4 on my aces, makes them feel snappier and less sluggish, without risers they feel kind of popless to me.

The spits look like 56mm conical fulls to me

PMA

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #4123 on: May 16, 2021, 10:16:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always ride 1/8-1/4 on my aces, makes them feel snappier and less sluggish, without risers they feel kind of popless to me.

100% this. I think 1/8" risers with Ace classics work better than without.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4124 on: May 16, 2021, 10:29:55 PM »
Skating my first pair of AF1 44s on the Krooked Worrest Twin (trying the whole ambi-break-in). I like how they skate but I'm getting the clicking issue and I noticed that the pivot cups looked like they were oozing already as I was setting everything up.

It can't be understated how much I like having gaudy gold trucks that just sparkle in the sun 🌞

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4125 on: May 17, 2021, 08:04:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, 1/8" risers on Aces is perfect. Better pop, deeper turn, even less bite. I've been running their own Ace-branded risers and they're perfect.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #4126 on: May 17, 2021, 08:53:53 AM »
Question for everyone with pivot cup issues, are you guys tightening the trucks a bunch(not that that should matter)? Skated my af1s yesterday and they felt really good at whatever looseness they came in. Nice and stable but with a really good responsive turn. Grinding took me by surprise though; no resistance.

Forgot to bring my tool with when i took them out

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

devourthehours

« Reply #4127 on: May 17, 2021, 09:14:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, 1/8" risers on Aces is perfect. Better pop, deeper turn, even less bite. I've been running their own Ace-branded risers and they're perfect.

I need to get some of those. I have some indy ones that stick out and it's an eyesore to me.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4128 on: May 17, 2021, 10:19:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I need to get some of those. I have some indy ones that stick out and it's an eyesore to me.

Maybe you've tried it, but with the Indys if you stick the hardware through the cutouts in the plastic (not the intended holes) they line up almost perfectly. Let me know and I can post a pic later if it helps.

That being said, the way the Ace ones line up perfectly flush with the plates in just so, so nice.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4129 on: May 17, 2021, 10:32:50 AM »
Question for everyone with pivot cup issues, are you guys tightening the trucks a bunch(not that that should matter)? Skated my af1s yesterday and they felt really good at whatever looseness they came in. Nice and stable but with a really good responsive turn. Grinding took me by surprise though; no resistance.

Forgot to bring my tool with when i took them out

Most that are having the cup issues have baseplate finishing/machining issues; those without seem to have no issues at all with the pivot cups that I recall - could be wrong.

I loosened my AF1s so the nut was flush.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4130 on: May 17, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »
I was thinking to myself, are the rethreading nuts a harder metal than the regular ones? I guess they are so they can make a new thread. I’m wondering if that makes it stickier on smiths and feeble grinds?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

devourthehours

« Reply #4131 on: May 17, 2021, 11:19:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Maybe you've tried it, but with the Indys if you stick the hardware through the cutouts in the plastic (not the intended holes) they line up almost perfectly. Let me know and I can post a pic later if it helps.

That being said, the way the Ace ones line up perfectly flush with the plates in just so, so nice.

Thanks dude. I ended up figuring that out after messing with it a bit but there is still a bit of it sticking out which I hate. My local only had bright red indy risers also which look terrible.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #4132 on: May 17, 2021, 11:49:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably due to their height being 51mm, which is the only thing keeping me from making the switch, where my indy are 55mm and that's without risers, which I do on some setups...

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4133 on: May 17, 2021, 12:11:50 PM »
Closer to 53mm according to Ace. I don't notice much of a difference between the height on Indys and Ace to be honest. My timing is more off when using Thunders and they are about the same height as Ace. I wouldn't get hung up on truck height as geometry  also plays a role in pop timing and wheelbite. Only way to know is to try 'em.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4134 on: May 18, 2021, 09:45:34 AM »

I’ve hit axle. 20 hours of skating. A lot of slappies. I don’t notice any difference in the grind with these and the classics. I grind pretty much only unpainted waxed curbs. Durability, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s better than the classics at least. Hard to say if it’s worse either. 🤔

My previous classics I had to retire when the hangers were so ground down that the kingpin nut was ground down so much it just fell off. Seems like that’s gonna happen even sooner with these. Not really sure how to remedy that. I would certainly like to grind all my trucks in half before retiring them.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #4135 on: May 18, 2021, 09:49:13 AM »

I’ve hit axle. 20 hours of skating. A lot of slappies. I don’t notice any difference in the grind with these and the classics. I grind pretty much only unpainted waxed curbs. Durability, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s better than the classics at least. Hard to say if it’s worse either. 🤔

My previous classics I had to retire when the hangers were so ground down that the kingpin nut was ground down so much it just fell off. Seems like that’s gonna happen even sooner with these. Not really sure how to remedy that. I would certainly like to grind all my trucks in half before retiring them.

All of that in 20 hours ? Doesn't seem right.

They must be some gnarly ass curbs
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4136 on: May 18, 2021, 09:49:28 AM »
Beautiful pic

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4137 on: May 18, 2021, 09:50:38 AM »
No Smiths or  feebles  @Roisto ?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4138 on: May 18, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
RichardBarkley, yeah 20 hours. Had to check it from my Apple Watch because I’m bad at estimating. The curbs aren’t that gnarly. They’ve got a few crunchy bits and I did break in 18 new ones (probably 1 m per curb) with these trucks.

Firebert, thank you.

Frank and Fred, only a few accidental front feebles. I can’t do smiths or feebles. Not sure how slappy smiths would even work. I feel like I’d need a double sided curb for proper slappy feebles and we don’t have any around here unfortunately.

It’s just mainly frontside slappies with a bunch of backside slappies peppered in. Also a few slappy crooks attempts but so far I haven’t gotten them to work on these curbs for whatever reason. I’m just learning them anyway. Today I was skating mainly flatground at my usual spot but it’s easy to hit the slappies in between as there’s like 30+ meters of waxed curbs at that spot.

It’s weird how the back truck has worn in the middle. New trucks with no groove felt weird as hell and it took a good while to get used to the wider board and trucks and I guess by then I had managed to get a groove mainly in the middle on the back truck from sloppy slappies.  :D

Back:

Front:

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4139 on: May 18, 2021, 11:08:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

All of that in 20 hours ? Doesn't seem right.

They must be some gnarly ass curbs

Un-painted/un-waxed curbs will do that.