Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739013 times)

FakieDisaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
  • old leg
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4350 on: July 15, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »
anyone here rides skinny setups with Aces? how was it? thinking to set one up with 33s (with 8" board hopefully), most of posts i'm seeing here & setup thread are 44 upwards

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4351 on: July 15, 2021, 08:25:22 PM »
anyone here rides skinny setups with Aces? how was it? thinking to set one up with 33s (with 8" board hopefully), most of posts i'm seeing here & setup thread are 44 upwards

I ride 8’ on 33’s from time to time and as long as the kicks are steep it feels awesome to me. Not sure why, but I’ve got it stuck in my craw to try 7.5 on 22’s, or whatever the right size is for that. I usually ride one wide set up and one skinny and I’m curious to see how smaller aces would feel

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4352 on: July 15, 2021, 09:09:50 PM »
Cyrus riding aces in the new Huf commercial if anyone cares

Just watched it in slow mo in a few parts and this is incorrect, they're clearly Indy's

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4353 on: July 19, 2021, 08:02:14 PM »
how has the AF-1 pivot cup issue been for everyone lately?  I want to try some 77s but I'm thinking about waiting until the next batch in case they've fixed the pivot problem in the baseplate

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4354 on: July 19, 2021, 08:15:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ride 8’ on 33’s from time to time and as long as the kicks are steep it feels awesome to me. Not sure why, but I’ve got it stuck in my craw to try 7.5 on 22’s, or whatever the right size is for that. I usually ride one wide set up and one skinny and I’m curious to see how smaller aces would feel

33s look so good

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4355 on: July 19, 2021, 09:02:39 PM »
My pivot cups crapped in 2 sessions and the AF1 are in the parts bin. Happened to my friend in an hour.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4356 on: July 20, 2021, 05:11:23 AM »
how has the AF-1 pivot cup issue been for everyone lately?  I want to try some 77s but I'm thinking about waiting until the next batch in case they've fixed the pivot problem in the baseplate

My front trucks pivot cups busted in a few days. But ace sent me like 2 new sets of pivot cups and they must have expedited it cause I got them surprising fast. Haven’t had an issue with the replacements yet. Happy with the customer service I got

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #4357 on: July 20, 2021, 05:12:59 AM »
Riptide pivot cups in the AF1 baseplates solve the issue and are still superior to the new "hand poured" stock ones for sure. I'm running an Ace classic 44 hanger with AF1 baseplates and it won't even fit in there with the AF1 pivot cups it's way too snug, so the tides solved the issue.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4358 on: July 20, 2021, 05:59:22 AM »

Mine that I purchased i the first wave have been solid. Only a bit of pivot cup deformation but I enjoy the occasional slappy and feel that's part of why. Out of all my trucks they're the only ones that don't slant to one side when rolling.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4359 on: July 20, 2021, 09:46:47 AM »
I do not typically advocate for swapping bushings in Aces, but my current 44 classics just weren't breaking in right and it was giving me some serious madness. I swapped the bottom bushings for white Indy 78a supersofts and they feel amazing...so fluid and perfect return from the stock tops.

No idea what's up with this set or what, but I am very happy with this fix.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4360 on: July 20, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »
I feel disgusting even writing this, but has anybody tried ace(af1) hanger on a krux baseplate?
It seems to fit perfectly, while making the wheelbase even shorter, making it lighter and lowering the truck 1-2mm.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4361 on: July 20, 2021, 01:53:43 PM »

Mine got busted right away but I just kept skating them and had zero issues. A pivot cup bushing that is torn a bit isn’t noticeable for me at least unless I look at the trucks so I don’t really care.

Sure it would be nice if they held up properly but the benefits of Aces far outweigh the small pivot cup bushing issue IMO.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4362 on: July 20, 2021, 02:16:41 PM »
I feel disgusting even writing this, but has anybody tried ace(af1) hanger on a krux baseplate?
It seems to fit perfectly, while making the wheelbase even shorter, making it lighter and lowering the truck 1-2mm.
completely in no mans land
do it just to piss people off
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

con_hielo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #4363 on: July 21, 2021, 08:41:53 AM »
I do not typically advocate for swapping bushings in Aces, but my current 44 classics just weren't breaking in right and it was giving me some serious madness. I swapped the bottom bushings for white Indy 78a supersofts and they feel amazing...so fluid and perfect return from the stock tops.

Ooh nice idea! Might gonna try it ^_^

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -128
« Reply #4364 on: July 21, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I have a pair of A1 55s on the way, not sure whether I should be stoked or not tbh
[close]

I JUST set up a new complete tonight with ACR A1 66s, and one of the mounting holes was too small for the bolt!!!

The shop owner rolled her eyes and said ‘we’ve had a lot of that with Ace, including one truck missing a mounting hole’.

Fuck. I haven’t heard any of that on here, so unfortunately it just might be the shipment to Japan.

Nice, really selling me on these aces…

Fortunately she had a drill with the right sized bit and I got it on. Worked beautifully after that.

But fuck.
big texas cummer

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #4365 on: July 21, 2021, 10:10:53 PM »

The 78s are great aren’t they? There is a way to make them even better though. Mount the barrel one on a 3/8” piece of all thread with a flat washer and a couple nuts 1 top/1 bottom, toss that in a drill press and hit it with a sanding block with 40 grit to rough shape down, then 80 grit for second roughing, 120 or 180 to finish. Then you’ve got super soft conicals. Way deeper turn than barrels. Take the top bushing and sand the bottom down about 1/4” and you can get them super floppy. Use the Ace top if you want a harder one(like you are already). Even Joey said if you’re not fucking with your bushings your loosing.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4366 on: July 22, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
Maybe I'm a dumb but I have searched all over this board and google with no luck (such that I had to make an account to ask this):

What bushings can I use as replacements for my classic 44s? Bones mediums? I've had them for around a year but the bottom bushings just split on me and they feel kind of... sticky? For reference I'm ~175.

Thanks for any help or any links

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4367 on: July 22, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
Maybe I'm a dumb but I have searched all over this board and google with no luck (such that I had to make an account to ask this):

What bushings can I use as replacements for my classic 44s? Bones mediums? I've had them for around a year but the bottom bushings just split on me and they feel kind of... sticky? For reference I'm ~175.

i heard that Krux bushings are compatible with Aces. They're the right size and don't mess up the geometry apparently

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #4368 on: July 22, 2021, 12:33:04 PM »

I blew out my Ace bushings eventually and replaced them with Mini Logos. Measured with a caliper, the bottom bushing was the same height and the top was like ~1mm taller. They're perfectly fine bushings, BTW
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fakie varial flip

« Reply #4369 on: July 22, 2021, 08:55:57 PM »
Thanks for all the help, I'll check out the krux and minilogo bushings. Good to hear there's at least something I can do, I fucking love these trucks

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4370 on: July 22, 2021, 09:40:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
completely in no mans land
do it just to piss people off

One of my best friends, which rides the most ratchet set-ups I know got some new Indy hollows and said he couldn’t get used to them after a week of skating, so he put the hangers on some beat up krux baseplates (which were mine at some point) and says they are much better. He was already riding them with thunder hangers. To be honest, I want to puke every time I think about it.  :(

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #4371 on: July 23, 2021, 05:22:24 PM »
Thunder aftermarkets are underrated in Ace's. I found some white 90a ones in my junk box and they might be just as good if not better than stock Ace bottoms, same height too.

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #4372 on: July 25, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
I usually ride an 8.25 with 44s and recently set up an 8 with 33s and I love it. My original intention was to relearn ledge trucks but after skating it for a few days it might become my primary setup.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #4373 on: July 26, 2021, 02:21:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I usually ride an 8.25 with 44s and recently set up an 8 with 33s and I love it. My original intention was to relearn ledge trucks but after skating it for a few days it might become my primary setup.

My favorite setup ever was a squared Roger 8" deck with 33's. Ace trucks on a board that feels more agile already is so fun, the height is perfect too. 

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #4374 on: July 26, 2021, 11:57:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

My favorite setup ever was a squared Roger 8" deck with 33's. Ace trucks on a board that feels more agile already is so fun, the height is perfect too.

Roger are underrated decks. Loved my Roger 8.25 with Ace 44s, great combo.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #4375 on: July 27, 2021, 07:30:48 AM »
bought some AF1 55's recently but cant stand the soft bottom bushing. I would use a Bones but seems to throw geometry off. Anyone know of a slightly harder bushing that is tall like the stock bottom Ace?

Until then I have stock bottom Ace with a Bones hard top to make do.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4376 on: July 27, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
bought some AF1 55's recently but cant stand the soft bottom bushing. I would use a Bones but seems to throw geometry off. Anyone know of a slightly harder bushing that is tall like the stock bottom Ace?

Krux bushings are compatible with Ace trucks. But dude, just break the stock bushings in. Give it time and you'll realize what the hype is about.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4377 on: July 27, 2021, 08:58:57 AM »
Ace bushings will firm up for sure, but mini logo bottoms are the same height assuming AF1s use the same size as the classics. That being said, an Indy bottoms are  supposedly 1mm lower but neither my eyes nor my (non-digital) calipers can account for any difference.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4378 on: July 27, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »
Ace bushings will firm up for sure, but mini logo bottoms are the same height assuming AF1s use the same size as the classics. That being said, an Indy bottoms are  supposedly 1mm lower but neither my eyes nor my (non-digital) calipers can account for any difference.

I just measured my indy 88s conicals with digital calipers and the bottoms are 14mm just like ace. The top bushing is smaller though.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4379 on: July 27, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »
b. I would use a Bones but seems to throw geometry off. Anyone know of a slightly harder bushing that is tall like the stock bottom Ace?

Did you keep the washer?  I measured Bones and Ace with calipers and they are within a few hundredths of an inch.