Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738932 times)

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 152
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4380 on: July 27, 2021, 10:52:17 AM »
bought some AF1 55's recently but cant stand the soft bottom bushing. I would use a Bones but seems to throw geometry off. Anyone know of a slightly harder bushing that is tall like the stock bottom Ace?

Until then I have stock bottom Ace with a Bones hard top to make do.

Krux bottom bushing with stock top is really nice. I weigh 180 lbs, so I can still get a nice carve out of them without too much wheelbite. I still like the stock bottoms, but I think they’re definitely designed for the average skater who weighs a bit less than I do

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #4381 on: July 27, 2021, 12:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
bought some AF1 55's recently but cant stand the soft bottom bushing. I would use a Bones but seems to throw geometry off. Anyone know of a slightly harder bushing that is tall like the stock bottom Ace?

Until then I have stock bottom Ace with a Bones hard top to make do.
[close]

Krux bottom bushing with stock top is really nice. I weigh 180 lbs, so I can still get a nice carve out of them without too much wheelbite. I still like the stock bottoms, but I think they’re definitely designed for the average skater who weighs a bit less than I do.

alright then I will try the krux bushing. I'm around 210 lbs. I'm not down with wheelbite.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #4382 on: July 27, 2021, 02:40:47 PM »
I really didn't like the AF1 44's I bought as others have mentioned, the extended wheelbase...something just felt "off". Been running my janky classic 44 hangers on the AF1 baseplates/angle grinded kingpin since my classic Ace baseplates all got loose kingpins. Finally hit the axle on these puppies and I don't want to spend money on new trucks, so I just set up the AF1 44 hangers again. Granted, I'm using different bushings than the stock ones, but the turning feels fucking nuts, nothing feels "off" about these now. I got three washers running on the inside of each wheel since these are only 8.25" wide, as to maximize the hanger space.

My only two complaints are: grinding on metal coping is much worse than classic Ace's, stickier by a lot. Haven't tried curbs yet. Also, there's too much space in the pivot cavity the hanger really sloshes back and forth a lot. I know it's not a cheap fix but they need a new mold with a slightly thicker pivot point on that hanger. I think it's the culprit for the weird sound the trucks make because that space creates a sort of "dead zone", while putting added stress on whatever pivot cup you choose. My 2cents, shalom

pops

• Rep: 218
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4383 on: July 27, 2021, 09:10:47 PM »
I really didn't like the AF1 44's I bought as others have mentioned, the extended wheelbase...something just felt "off". Been running my janky classic 44 hangers on the AF1 baseplates/angle grinded kingpin since my classic Ace baseplates all got loose kingpins. Finally hit the axle on these puppies and I don't want to spend money on new trucks, so I just set up the AF1 44 hangers again. Granted, I'm using different bushings than the stock ones, but the turning feels fucking nuts, nothing feels "off" about these now. I got three washers running on the inside of each wheel since these are only 8.25" wide, as to maximize the hanger space.

My only two complaints are: grinding on metal coping is much worse than classic Ace's, stickier by a lot. Haven't tried curbs yet. Also, there's too much space in the pivot cavity the hanger really sloshes back and forth a lot. I know it's not a cheap fix but they need a new mold with a slightly thicker pivot point on that hanger. I think it's the culprit for the weird sound the trucks make because that space creates a sort of "dead zone", while putting added stress on whatever pivot cup you choose. My 2cents, shalom

Does the classic hangers go well in the af baseplates?

bombsaway86

« Reply #4384 on: July 27, 2021, 10:29:19 PM »

The pivot cup on mine seems to have firmed up after a few months of skating them. The loose pivot was one of my biggest complaints when I first got them.  I agree about them grinding worse on metal. I think the trade off is that they grind a lot better on concrete/pool coping. I’m definitely going back to classics when it’s time to replace them. I’ll deal with the shit quality in exchange for the better performance that the classics offer.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4385 on: July 28, 2021, 01:56:59 AM »
What is this bullshit about not grinding on metal as well as the OG version?
How can you make an upgraded version of a truck, test it with your team, and not realize this?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4386 on: July 28, 2021, 04:38:59 AM »
What is this bullshit about not grinding on metal as well different as the OG version?
How can you make an upgraded version of a truck, test it with your team, and not realize this its different?

Fixed it for you! Guess its kind of the point when upgrading a truck, there is always going to be pro's and cons on each feature based on peoples opinion. For some people your worse is their better.

Loving my af1 55s, no pivot shit, had clicking for a sesh or 2 but its gone. Bushing are perfect when broken in. Love the grind on metal/concrete etc.
Its a heavy truck though!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #4387 on: July 28, 2021, 05:52:13 AM »
Can we compile a spreadsheet of bushing heights (brand new bushings only). I’m dead serious, would be an easy thing to do and will help all the people with truck madness get their shit sorted.

All bushing heights, brand new, upper and lower with and without the included washers (where applicable), measured with calipers in millimeters.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4388 on: July 28, 2021, 06:17:16 AM »
Can we compile a spreadsheet of bushing heights (brand new bushings only). I’m dead serious, would be an easy thing to do and will help all the people with truck madness get their shit sorted.

All bushing heights, brand new, upper and lower with and without the included washers (where applicable), measured with calipers in millimeters.

King Brimmo kinda got started. @Mbrimson88 I have this bookmarked and think about this shit way too much.

Updated a few options on bushings after the Ace Truck thread and thought I should measure some more I have here too.

From the site, the Ace low are lower in general but still fairly tall.

Low Bushing Set

Top 10mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 12mm tall | 86a hardness

Classic Bushing Set

Top 12mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 14mm tall | 86a hardness

As I had posted earlier in another thread, but this time using Ace aftermarket measurements:

Ace low
Total  22 mm
Top  10 mm
Bottom  12 mm

Ace classic
Total  26 mm
Top  12 mm
Bottom  14 mm

Venture stock 94a
Total  22.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Thunder stock 90a and aftermarket (same) 90a, 94a, 95a, 98a, 100a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

Indy stock 90a and aftermarket (same in both cylinder and conical) 78a, 88a, 90a, 92a, 94a, 96a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  10.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Then Indy low head bushings 92a
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

* Added Venture in here as well.

logjammin

« Reply #4389 on: July 28, 2021, 06:32:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Does the classic hangers go well in the af baseplates?

It kinda worked for me, but I had to use Riptide pivot cups because the stock pivot cups in the AF1's won't even allow the classic hanger to fit inside, then the stock classic pivot cups were too short inside the AF1 baseplate. The kingpin also sits higher for some reason so you gotta angle grind it down or go inverted.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4390 on: July 28, 2021, 06:34:53 AM »
Which size AF1 should I get for an 8.75 deck? Might run the 9 inch axle without the inner washer but I was wondering if 8.5s are a better fit.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

IpathCats

« Reply #4391 on: July 28, 2021, 07:19:48 AM »
Which size AF1 should I get for an 8.75 deck? Might run the 9 inch axle without the inner washer but I was wondering if 8.5s are a better fit.

55's if you like to flip your board, 66's if you want more stability and grind room. Both will work fine, I usually prefer flush or slightly more narrow trucks than my deck (magic carpet) but i pretty much just skate low impact street stuff these days.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4392 on: July 28, 2021, 07:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

55's if you like to flip your board, 66's if you want more stability and grind room. Both will work fine, I usually prefer flush or slightly more narrow trucks than my deck (magic carpet) but i pretty much just skate low impact street stuff these days.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of my wheels sticking out because they're wider, guess I'll eventually order a set of AF1 55s but I still got a pair of the old 55s that I need to grind down to the axle.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4393 on: July 28, 2021, 08:37:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's the magic question and I concur with the answer. Still can't believe Ace didn't add an 8.75" axle to their rotation with the AF1s.

I love Ace but will always have a Thunder or other 8.75" truck in the equipment box just in case...

TimmyB88

• Rep: -11
« Reply #4394 on: July 28, 2021, 09:46:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's the magic question and I concur with the answer. Still can't believe Ace didn't add an 8.75" axle to their rotation with the AF1s.

I love Ace but will always have a Thunder or other 8.75" truck in the equipment box just in case...
I'm an 8.75 guy and reached out to them on instagram about some trucks and they will be adding it to their lineup but wouldn't tell me when. I imagine it will fuck up the sizing charts once again...

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4395 on: July 28, 2021, 09:54:43 AM »
Praise Jah!

Will likely take another year or so... is my guess....

Appreciate the update. Thanks for DMing them like A MAN.

logjammin

« Reply #4396 on: July 28, 2021, 10:41:56 AM »
I feel how some do about the 8.75" size, but with 8.38". I wish they kept that width for the AF1 44's, it's such a good in-between size that has a range of board sizes it's compatible with, and with a couple axle washers on the inside it's plenty of hanger to grind on, while not having a slower turn compared to a wider truck.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #4397 on: July 28, 2021, 11:25:24 AM »
What is this bullshit about not grinding on metal as well as the OG version?
How can you make an upgraded version of a truck, test it with your team, and not realize this?

after that ronnie sandoval clip im convinced they in fact do not test shit

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4398 on: July 28, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »
I feel how some do about the 8.75" size, but with 8.38". I wish they kept that width for the AF1 44's, it's such a good in-between size that has a range of board sizes it's compatible with, and with a couple axle washers on the inside it's plenty of hanger to grind on, while not having a slower turn compared to a wider truck.

Yeah but at least you've still got the Classic 44s as an option. And let's be real here, the AF1s are not that much better than the Classics.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4399 on: July 28, 2021, 01:09:41 PM »
Are the af1’s that much heavier than the classics?  Thinking of swapping over from Indy’s.  Local shop has a sale on the AF1’s 44’s. Classic or af1?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #4400 on: July 28, 2021, 02:30:09 PM »
I grabbed a pair AF1 55s and Classic 66s on sale.

Now I'm fighting the temptation to set them up.

Too many in my quiver already.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4401 on: July 28, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »

I'm rolling on AF1 55s with three washers on the inside and thin titanium nuts.

https://www.acerracing.com/products/5-16-24-titanium-skateboard-wheel-nuts-4-pieces

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4402 on: July 28, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »
Maybe it’s been brought up in this thread before, but maybe not. Anyone having issues using washers on AF1’s?

I can barely get the axle nut to sit flush with the end of the axle when I use both washers. Bearings are fully pressed into the wheels too
fuck you bama

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4403 on: July 28, 2021, 09:04:41 PM »
People say ride it until the wheels come off; last night I was skating at a spot went for a front side nose slide and my f****** wheel fell off of these Ace trucks I've never had that happen to me before.

aythembones

« Reply #4404 on: July 29, 2021, 12:26:39 AM »
People say ride it until the wheels come off; last night I was skating at a spot went for a front side nose slide and my f****** wheel fell off of these Ace trucks I've never had that happen to me before.

In the short time I was on my AF1 44's (before the pivot cup cracked, still awaiting replacement going on two months time) I noticed the newly designed axle nuts on the front truck kept loosening on their own. I tighten them down pretty much all the way too, very little play if any but still every few days I'd have to tighten them back up as they would get really loose. I was riding on pretty rough streets and over occasional cobblestones so lots of vibration but still, that doesn't happen to me with regular axle nuts. Hopefully you didn't get hurt. I'd hate to get an injury because of faulty equipment. If or when I skate mine again I'm going to swap out the new fancy axle nuts for standard ones. I also hope the washer click on the kingpin goes away, it was driving me mental.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #4405 on: July 29, 2021, 05:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In the short time I was on my AF1 44's (before the pivot cup cracked, still awaiting replacement going on two months time) I noticed the newly designed axle nuts on the front truck kept loosening on their own. I tighten them down pretty much all the way too, very little play if any but still every few days I'd have to tighten them back up as they would get really loose. I was riding on pretty rough streets and over occasional cobblestones so lots of vibration but still, that doesn't happen to me with regular axle nuts. Hopefully you didn't get hurt. I'd hate to get an injury because of faulty equipment. If or when I skate mine again I'm going to swap out the new fancy axle nuts for standard ones. I also hope the washer click on the kingpin goes away, it was driving me mental.

You should be able to just stick a black plastic Indy pivot cup in there. My local sells them for $.99.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

« Reply #4406 on: July 29, 2021, 06:39:42 AM »
Maybe it’s been brought up in this thread before, but maybe not. Anyone having issues using washers on AF1’s?

I can barely get the axle nut to sit flush with the end of the axle when I use both washers. Bearings are fully pressed into the wheels too

Damn! I log on to read this after stopping at my local yesterday, kinda "inspected" a bunch of AF1's while chatting and the ends of the hangers had like wonky conical tips with one side sticking out farther than the other one, which would probably cause something like what you're describing to happen. Sounds like these new trucks might be stronger but the quality control still ain't there man  :-\

bombsaway86

« Reply #4407 on: July 29, 2021, 07:40:05 AM »

My last pair of classics had the same problem. I know some others on here reported the same. This is the first time I’ve heard of this on AF1s though.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4408 on: July 29, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »
Just set up some AF1 55s last night with classic 54mm wheels and there is no room for extra washers that's for sure. Very snug fit.

aythembones

« Reply #4409 on: July 29, 2021, 07:55:01 AM »
You should be able to just stick a black plastic Indy pivot cup in there. My local sells them for $.99.

I'm wanting to experience them completely "stock" so I can decide if I will use them in the future. Ace has told me twice they've sent me replacements but they never show and they can't find any tracking or record they were sent. I'm awaiting an email response from them again. I have some extra Riptide pivots but the hanger rattles around a lot when I put them in so I would prefer to wait. I would buy some here in Belgium but Ace are not very popular yet and I only know of two shops that stock Ace and they haven't even got any AF1's yet. Ace does not even have them in stock for sale on their website. The skate supply shortage is still affecting some of the shops here pretty badly. They have decks galore and trucks mostly from DLX brands but everything else is still low stock and catching up to normal. Mail usually takes about two weeks to get here from the US so I have no idea where they went to, I'll just keep on waiting. The bushings have yellowed so much just sitting that they look like Formula Four urethane! Haha! I think I'm going to end up just buying more AF1's from the USA, they will get here before the pivot cups I would wager!

Thank you for the suggestion though, I appreciates it.

Update: Of course right after I type this I cruise through my local shop links and find that Skateshop.be just got AF1's in. Might order some 33's right now! I'm still debating though, these trucks seem to have many problems. I am content with Thunder, always have been. I may just be sending myself into the "truck madness" everyone speaks of. Why not though, I think we arere heading to more covid lockdowns so I'm going to have a lot of days for experimenting!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:09:43 AM by aythembones »