Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747327 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4470 on: August 25, 2021, 06:01:13 AM »
Expand Quote
I got word from a reliable source that AF1 Hollow Axle Hollow Kingpin are coming Spring 2022
[close]

Really wish they would make a hollow version of the classics

Finally! I will be trying these.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4471 on: August 25, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
I've had the same pair of ace trucks for well over a year, maybe even 2 and i fuckin love them. they're minimal, after skating with these for so long, when i look at someone else's trucks they look wayyy to big to me. they got the most fantastic crooked grind groove ever too, BUT, the pivot cup is all fucked up, i tried taking them apart and replacing the pivot cup but they put something in there so it won't come out. i tried pliers to no avail and even tried to burn it out but the fumes and the fact that it might not work were freaking me out so i just put it back on all mangled. as of now it rides fine i guess but it turns to one side so bad.

so, too long, but is there any way to get those fucking pivot cups out? i guess my second concern is that i do finally get it out and the new one i have doesn't fit in right. but i really don't want to buy new trucks. what's the word?

use and ice pick or and pointy screw driver and just pry.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4472 on: August 25, 2021, 12:55:48 PM »
i feel like all ive been hearing lately is ace, ace, ace, but it so often ends in "i went back to [truck i was riding before]". If i am currently riding Venture 5.8 Hollows w/dlx 97 bushings, everyone who rides my board points out how tight they are, and mostly curbs, ledges, and small transition stuff, is it even worth trying these out? I feel like I've heard enough about them I want to but also don't want to regret a purchase after a week or so.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4473 on: August 25, 2021, 01:11:15 PM »
I feel like they're worth trying, if for no other reason than just the experience of riding them. I flip back and forth between ventures and aces and they're like polar opposite trucks. Even if you absolutely hate them, they're hot enough right now that there's no shortage of kids who'd be hyped if you gave them a broke in pair of aces.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4474 on: August 25, 2021, 02:12:38 PM »
i feel like all ive been hearing lately is ace, ace, ace, but it so often ends in "i went back to [truck i was riding before]". If i am currently riding Venture 5.8 Hollows w/dlx 97 bushings, everyone who rides my board points out how tight they are, and mostly curbs, ledges, and small transition stuff, is it even worth trying these out? I feel like I've heard enough about them I want to but also don't want to regret a purchase after a week or so.

If you'd want a truck with more turn Id say give them a try for sure. Tonight i tried to go back to indys after riding af1s for a month and they're feeling dead, stable and all but the turn is no way near af1s.

I love mine and cant see myself riding anything else now.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #4475 on: August 25, 2021, 02:51:31 PM »

I have been on Ace's for many years and as much as I tried to like the AF1's they just have some major issues that I personally cannot deal with, mainly the pivot cups and high kingpin length, along with the longer wheelbase feeling weird as it gave me more wheelbite and whatnot. Classics are great but sloppy quality control with each set, and again, long ass kingpins.

Never skated Ventures in my life until last weekend I got a set of 5.8 standards and I was blown away. Swapped out the stock bushings for softer supercush's and waxed the stock pivot cups. They are super stable and still turn very well, I think the "they don't turn" echo is false, just make sure it's on a 14.25" or shorter WB I guess, since that's what mine are on. I'm done with Ace until maybe they can sort their scatterbrain research and development process and china quality control. Would I still choose Ace over Indy though? All day.

TL;DR if you are not itching to try the Ace turny geometry, don't worry about missing out on much more than that.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4476 on: August 26, 2021, 06:54:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have been on Ace's for many years and as much as I tried to like the AF1's they just have some major issues that I personally cannot deal with, mainly the pivot cups and high kingpin length, along with the longer wheelbase feeling weird as it gave me more wheelbite and whatnot. Classics are great but sloppy quality control with each set, and again, long ass kingpins.

Never skated Ventures in my life until last weekend I got a set of 5.8 standards and I was blown away. Swapped out the stock bushings for softer supercush's and waxed the stock pivot cups. They are super stable and still turn very well, I think the "they don't turn" echo is false, just make sure it's on a 14.25" or shorter WB I guess, since that's what mine are on. I'm done with Ace until maybe they can sort their scatterbrain research and development process and china quality control. Would I still choose Ace over Indy though? All day.

TL;DR if you are not itching to try the Ace turny geometry, don't worry about missing out on much more than that.

I wonder if the low baseplates have a shorter kingpin

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4477 on: August 26, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
switched to ace AF1s after thunder hollow lights and the turning radius/grind quality is drastically improved, the hangar shape seemed to make popping out of grinds easier

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #4478 on: August 26, 2021, 06:45:49 PM »
imo the biggest pro of Ace is you can skate big ass wheels without worrying about wheelbite since the wheels arc in so dramatically

The biggest con HAS to be the fact that you cant skate them for shit on a mellow deck. Not even a mellow deck w long wheelbase can fix the shitty pop feel

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4479 on: August 27, 2021, 02:40:45 PM »
Aces with big wheels are the best. I just switched out my worn out 54mm (to about 49mm) wheels to 56mm ones and wondered why I didn’t do it much before.

Much better pop feel with bigger wheels. I use 1/8” risers also. 58 and 60 mm wheels feel best IMO but are sadly not very widely available around here.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4480 on: August 27, 2021, 03:11:29 PM »
Aces with big wheels are the best. I just switched out my worn out 54mm (to about 49mm) wheels to 56mm ones and wondered why I didn’t do it much before.

Much better pop feel with bigger wheels. I use 1/8” risers also. 58 and 60 mm wheels feel best IMO but are sadly not very widely available around here.

For sure, I’m on AF1 55’s with 60mm Powell bombers/58mm F4’s (I alternate a lot) and it’s great. Fast but without worrying about wheelbite

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4481 on: August 28, 2021, 01:39:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For sure, I’m on AF1 55’s with 60mm Powell bombers/58mm F4’s (I alternate a lot) and it’s great. Fast but without worrying about wheelbite

Short tails also! I get the best pop with my Krooked Drehobl shape with Ace 55 classics, 1/8” risers and 60mm Ricta Clouds. That thing has a tiny tail. 6.3” I think.

I wish I could get 60mm 97A conical fulls or even find the 58mm anywhere in Europe. That would be a dream setup for the streets over here. And then 99A during the winter indoor park season. One can only dream!

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4482 on: August 28, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Short tails also! I get the best pop with my Krooked Drehobl shape with Ace 55 classics, 1/8” risers and 60mm Ricta Clouds. That thing has a tiny tail. 6.3” I think.

I wish I could get 60mm 97A conical fulls or even find the 58mm anywhere in Europe. That would be a dream setup for the streets over here. And then 99A during the winter indoor park season. One can only dream!

nordicskateboardsupply.se have the 58mm.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4483 on: August 28, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

nordicskateboardsupply.se have the 58mm.

Thanks. Someone must have snagged them before me as I can’t find them on the site.

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #4484 on: August 28, 2021, 08:05:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you use any risers?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4485 on: August 28, 2021, 08:11:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

you use any risers?

Yeah, I use 1/4 inch risers on all my set ups as I ride everything pretty loose and I like the extra height

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #4486 on: August 29, 2021, 12:48:00 PM »
Switched to AF1s from some indy standards i was only on for about a month or so. I got indy standards after my baseplate holes bored out on my 44 classics thinking i wanted to go back to indy. The turn felt like home and i love the grind but my pop was off and the feel just wasn’t quite there.

I was hanging at the shop the other day and the homie bought a set. I stood on his board and was like, “fuck, these feel good.” so I basically impulse bought.

A couple sessions later and my flip tricks feel so much more dialed and my manual point is back where it should be. I think the 55mm hanger height and shorter wheelbase on the indys did not work in my favor.

2 questions about AF1’s though:

1: The clicking oh god the clicking when will it stop

2: Do they loosen or firm up? They’re a little too tight for me right now and I don’t know when I should touch the kingpin nut. I know you’re supposed to let them break in from factory tightness.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4487 on: August 29, 2021, 12:53:13 PM »
AF1 wheelbase is still shorter. They firm up and my clicking never stopped

ClayH

« Reply #4488 on: August 29, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
So where does the wheelbase sit at compared to indys? It is longer than the classics though, no?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4489 on: August 29, 2021, 08:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So where does the wheelbase sit at compared to indys? It is longer than the classics though, no?

Wheelbase is longer on Indy, in between on AF1 and the closest together / shortest on Ace Classics.

The thread about wheelbase is here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

So although there is not a listing for AF1, it is about this (from general measurements):

Indy + 3.0

AF1  + 2.85

Ace Classic + 2.75

The other thing is Ace trucks are lower than Indy by about 2 mm, which can have a difference too.

Clicking can be fixed easily enough - change out the washers, put tape round the kingpin or other things people have said that has worked in the past.

Bushings take a bit to wear in but generally are good within a week, depending on how long you skate, how much you mess with them, or especially if you tighten them up too much.

I think that is about it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4490 on: August 30, 2021, 06:58:47 AM »
Lower than standard Indy. I’m a forged hollow dude so I got AF1 thinking they’d be basically a replacement as I care more about height than weight. Pivot cups melted. Grind was great tho on granite.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4491 on: August 30, 2021, 07:13:59 AM »
Lower than standard Indy. I’m a forged hollow dude so I got AF1 thinking they’d be basically a replacement as I care more about height than weight. Pivot cups melted. Grind was great tho on granite.

Threw my Indy ti on and they grind so much better. I love ace. My flip tricks seem better with ace but the sticky grind is hard to work with.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4492 on: August 30, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
Weird, I’ve always liked Ace grind. Venture are the slowest but I just get used to it after a while.

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4493 on: August 30, 2021, 11:03:52 AM »
Do the classic's baseplates work fine with AF1 hangars?
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else in the thread

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #4494 on: August 30, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've read some people measuring +2.85 and I'm not sure if they're actually that different or people are measuring differently, but mine and the ones a homey got are exactly +2.95. I re-measure it every time someones asking, just out of curiosity and I'm very confident about the measurement at this point.
So they're basically the same as indys, 1mm difference. +2.85 would be almost 4mm difference.

ClayH

« Reply #4495 on: August 30, 2021, 09:25:47 PM »
Thanks for the insightful replies on the wheelbase matters. I guess the height really is what does it for my flip tricks. Had one of the best sessions I've had in quite some time last night and I'm gonna say that was on AF1's part. My board just felt right.

Hazesack

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4496 on: August 31, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »
Thanks for the insightful replies on the wheelbase matters. I guess the height really is what does it for my flip tricks. Had one of the best sessions I've had in quite some time last night and I'm gonna say that was on AF1's part. My board just felt right.

I have the exact different experience with my flip tricks, when i'm riding my AF1s. I get a lot of ghost pop and my kickflips feel like shit, as does all the other tech stuff. The session i had today made it clear. I got another set up with Thunders (+Real Risers) and it's perfect for flips etc.. But the Ace's feel so much more fun to just cruise around the park, do a 50 here and there and do some simple fun stuff. Guess i just need 2 set ups now, depending where i am going to ride.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4497 on: September 04, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
Oski has some different looking aces on his board here. Originally there was a different post that had a better shot of the trucks from the front but that has since been deleted and now there’s this post which doesn’t have the same truck picture. Interesting that it would be deleted. Maybe some new ace model? Seems weird since they just dropped the af1s

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #4498 on: September 04, 2021, 02:12:37 PM »
Oski has some different looking aces on his board here. Originally there was a different post that had a better shot of the trucks from the front but that has since been deleted and now there’s this post which doesn’t have the same truck picture. Interesting that it would be deleted. Maybe some new ace model? Seems weird since they just dropped the af1s

There was talk of a hollow AF1 dropping next year or something so maybe its that? I didn’t see the original pics though so no clue

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4499 on: September 04, 2021, 02:59:11 PM »
It almost looks like the old Indy Stage II (2) shape.

That one might be the clearest pic...

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.