Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747934 times)

maggot cunt

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4530 on: September 09, 2021, 02:37:29 AM »
damn can anyone do that thing where you can watch removed videos through a mirror or whatever ? i wanna see this mad shit

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4531 on: September 09, 2021, 04:36:57 AM »
Really makes you wonder how much of a weight reduction is placebo effect. Almost as if titanium is more of an expensive “bragging right “ over hollow. He’s not the first to think the baseplate is titanium either. I think Servold called it a “titanium baseplate “ too?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 12:53:52 PM by Richard Skidder »

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #4532 on: September 09, 2021, 04:56:37 AM »
It doesn't make sense either way because standard/forged aluminium baseplates are way lighter than a titanium baseplate would be. Did any company ever make a titanium baseplate? There's really no reason to do that.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4533 on: September 09, 2021, 08:32:30 AM »
Hopefully he hooks people up with those Titanium Hangers he doesn't use.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4534 on: September 09, 2021, 09:42:48 AM »
It doesn't make sense either way because standard/forged aluminium baseplates are way lighter than a titanium baseplate would be. Did any company ever make a titanium baseplate? There's really no reason to do that.

Theeve touted an aluminium Ti 'blend' (which was probably 0.0000000001% Ti in the hanger/plate); not even sure they used the blend in the plate.

Really makes you wonder how much of a weight reduction is placebo effect. Almost as if titanium is more of an expensive “bragging right “ over hollow. He’s not the first to think the baseplate is aluminum either. I think Servold called it a “titanium baseplate “ too?

2 of the heaviest items are the axles and kingpin; I'm a broken record but the Theeve Ti Hollow Kingpins made ALL the difference back when you could still get them and the Tihanger with those pins was like maglight territory.

As for Hollow axle vs Ti, sure it's lighter but only with Indy can I tell a difference on the board. Thunder Ti are the lightest of the big 4 you can get.

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4535 on: September 11, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
Anyone who blew out an AF1 pivot cup have experience with riptides vs regular af1 replacements? I accidentally bought the regular ace replacement pivot cups and they’re a little smaller and clicking so not going to ride those. Curious if the riptide ones last longer or if any other alternatives exist that won’t mess with geometry.

Edit - does riptide even make an AF1 specific pivot cup? I’m only seeing one option. Seeing as the AF1 stock ones seem to be a bit bigger than OG ace ones not sure if that would mess with geometry at all.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4536 on: September 11, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »
Anyone who blew out an AF1 pivot cup have experience with riptides vs regular af1 replacements? I accidentally bought the regular ace replacement pivot cups and they’re a little smaller and clicking so not going to ride those. Curious if the riptide ones last longer or if any other alternatives exist that won’t mess with geometry.

Edit - does riptide even make an AF1 specific pivot cup? I’m only seeing one option. Seeing as the AF1 stock ones seem to be a bit bigger than OG ace ones not sure if that would mess with geometry at all.

They do not make an AF1 specific cup AFAIK but it might be worth reaching out to them about.

I too had the stock AF1 cups blow out very quickly and threw some spare Ace RipTides in there. They do work but there is a lot of play in the pivot area so I decided against using them.   

Ace sent me replacements when I contacted them about the cups. 

The clicking you’re talking about is from the washer hitting the kingpin. I haven’t found a solution.   

Pee nis

« Reply #4537 on: September 11, 2021, 02:15:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They do not make an AF1 specific cup AFAIK but it might be worth reaching out to them about.

I too had the stock AF1 cups blow out very quickly and threw some spare Ace RipTides in there. They do work but there is a lot of play in the pivot area so I decided against using them.   

Ace sent me replacements when I contacted them about the cups. 

The clicking you’re talking about is from the washer hitting the kingpin. I haven’t found a solution.   

Thanks. Seems like the af1 stock pivots are noticeably bigger than standard ones which is a huge pain given the durability issues

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #4538 on: September 12, 2021, 03:32:16 AM »
Drop a little crazy glue between the nut and the washer, easy fix

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4539 on: September 17, 2021, 11:31:58 AM »

Lol

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4540 on: September 17, 2021, 12:04:05 PM »

Lol

Is this the fixed version of the video everyone was talking about last week?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4541 on: September 17, 2021, 12:08:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Lol
[close]

Is this the fixed version of the video everyone was talking about last week?

Yes, almost fixed, still left in the bit where he says 8.5 is bigger than 8.5

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4542 on: September 17, 2021, 12:36:32 PM »
Certified Creature Moment

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #4543 on: September 17, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »
they cut out all the best bits from the 1st video 🤣

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4544 on: September 19, 2021, 10:35:53 AM »

8.75” AF1s coming soon?  ???

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4545 on: September 19, 2021, 11:02:28 AM »

8.75” AF1s coming soon?  ???

I guess it's time for another pair of Af1s. 8.75 truck is an ideal size for me and I love my Af1s, they are my favorite trucks ever (no issues with 55s/66s so far).

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4546 on: September 19, 2021, 11:40:14 AM »
Sweet 60s!

I wonder what the timeline is....

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4547 on: September 19, 2021, 02:08:54 PM »
when are they going hollow?

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4548 on: September 19, 2021, 02:55:23 PM »
Anyone have good things to say about the 8.38 and 55 Classics combo? I’ve always wanted to try that out since I saw on Instagram a while back (shout out to nozbone skateshop in paris lol) that thats what Remy Taveira skates.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4549 on: September 19, 2021, 03:58:57 PM »
I wouldn't do 55 Classics on anything less than 8.5" Preferably 8.75" and up...

shpongle

• Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #4550 on: September 23, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »
Anyone have good things to say about the 8.38 and 55 Classics combo? I’ve always wanted to try that out since I saw on Instagram a while back (shout out to nozbone skateshop in paris lol) that thats what Remy Taveira skates.

interesting setup.  somewhat similar to peter hewitt running the 8.38 on 159 indys

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4551 on: September 23, 2021, 11:11:27 AM »

Those are 55 AF1

interesting setup.  somewhat similar to peter hewitt running the 8.38 on 159 indys

A girl at my park runs the same setup and I tried out her board the other night. Super stable but hard to flip.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #4552 on: September 23, 2021, 12:20:00 PM »
@twic3

Good catch on the AF1 55s. 

8.5 with the 8.38 makes much more sense than 9 with 8.38 to me. 

I could see the 159 (8.75) on 8.38 working alright.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:14:24 PM by BoxStuffer »
Enjoy your life.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4553 on: September 24, 2021, 08:07:33 AM »
I was hesitant to get some AF1's due to all the pivot cup issues but I found a paid that had perfect pivot cavity in the baseplate.

After 6 sessions, the cup ripped and suddenly there was now a small divot in the cavity in the exact spot that others posted.  I put a new cup in and it ripped in 1 session.

As far as I'm concerned, these things are flawed from a design/manufacturing perspective.  Save your money and avoid the headaches

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4554 on: September 24, 2021, 09:17:03 AM »
I was hesitant to get some AF1's due to all the pivot cup issues but I found a paid that had perfect pivot cavity in the baseplate.

After 6 sessions, the cup ripped and suddenly there was now a small divot in the cavity in the exact spot that others posted.  I put a new cup in and it ripped in 1 session.

As far as I'm concerned, these things are flawed from a design/manufacturing perspective.  Save your money and avoid the headaches

Yep. Another thing is that in the past, Ace were always super cool with warranty stuff. But with his they were just like "it is a pivot cup issue", even after I showed them the plates. They sent me a big of cups that blew out right away.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4555 on: September 24, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »
The people at Ace must know about the pivot cup issue right?

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #4556 on: September 24, 2021, 09:47:11 AM »

I went to Ace’s social media posts and expected to see a bunch of angry Ace fans in the comments about the pivot cup problems but there was nothing. Looks like y’all need to turn the heat up on them to force a response

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4557 on: September 24, 2021, 10:04:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I went to Ace’s social media posts and expected to see a bunch of angry Ace fans in the comments about the pivot cup problems but there was nothing. Looks like y’all need to turn the heat up on them to force a response

I sent them pics (twice) and and I know others have, so they are certainly aware. Can't comment on their socials because I am not on there. At the end of the day, I'd rather just move on and skate something else.

Also, FWIW other than a factory issue that they took care of right away, I've never had any QC issues with the 4 sets of classics that I've skated.

Pee nis

« Reply #4558 on: September 24, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »
They sent me free pivot cups after mine got destroyed and I sent them a message. Issue is the AF1 pivot cups are bigger than standard so there’s no sufficient 3rd party alternative at moment. Also funny they raised the price of the AF1 pivot cups to $7 while the classic ace ones are $3. So more than doubling the price for a tiny bit larger “hand poured” urethane that disintegrates in a month

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4559 on: September 25, 2021, 04:47:51 AM »
Anyone else found that pivot cup issues only happen when you're not running washers? I mostly skate curbs and I used to skate my aces without bushings wiggly loose, I'd go through one pivot cup every session. Since then I've been tightening my trucks until I can use both washers comfortably and I no longer have pivot cup issues at all. I'm guessing this is because
a) washers change the geometry
or
b) looser trucks simply allow the pivot to mash further into the pivot cup