Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 744977 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4590 on: October 04, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »
I don’t know if I’m quite ready to trust someone riding an element deck in 2021, but it’s good to see it’s not all doom and gloom on these last few pages. I have a pair of AF1 55s that I’ve been meaning to setup but every time I check this thread I start to self doubt my decision…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #4591 on: October 04, 2021, 07:49:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

i use 7/8" on forged baseplate..and 1” on cast baseplate.
Expand Quote

1” hardware is great. It doesn’t loosen up on rough ground, so you don’t oval your baseplates. I also find that since I basically never have to re-tighten it it lasts me way longer.
[close]

Length of the hardware is irrelevant if the nut/nylock size is the same and all threads are engaged.
[close]

I can’t prove it with anything but anecdotal evidence but my experience has been 7/8” comes loose on me way easier. Maybe if you sink it way into your deck you’re good but I don’t like going further than flush and having my hardware tight as it needs to be right there
[close]

A lot of 7/8 hardware comes with shorter nuts, might be why. If you skate risers, i recommend soft rubber ones, they will help a lot with hardware vibrating loose.

Fhk

« Reply #4592 on: October 04, 2021, 08:04:20 AM »

Hopefully I can start enjoying my AF1 44s now. I couldn't skate them with threads showing.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4593 on: October 04, 2021, 08:48:16 AM »

Hopefully I can start enjoying my AF1 44s now. I couldn't skate them with threads showing.

Hahaha

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4594 on: October 04, 2021, 09:41:36 AM »

I also ended up buying the hard bushings for my classic 66s. I never tightened them though. Hope they make a difference.

Lhotse

• Rep: -36
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4595 on: October 04, 2021, 10:06:17 AM »
I don’t know if I’m quite ready to trust someone riding an element deck in 2021, but it’s good to see it’s not all doom and gloom on these last few pages. I have a pair of AF1 55s that I’ve been meaning to setup but every time I check this thread I start to self doubt my decision…

1) You have a problem with my deck? It's a popsicle board. With the exception of something like Powell's 'Flight' decks, once you get past $50, there really isn't much difference in any of them. They all get 'private labeled' out the same factory in China with different graphics applied for the customer's brand name. My Element is no different than your Baker, Creature or Plan B but go ahead and bash me if it makes you happy.
2) You actually bought trucks or ANY gear and...you didn't install it within seconds of getting it and ride the sh!t out of it until the sun went down? Do you admire them on a shelf like some 'Objet d'art'? Do you dust them off occasionally?  ;D
and YOU are criticizing ME? REALLY?!  ::)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4596 on: October 04, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »

1) You have a problem with my deck? It's a popsicle board. With the exception of something like Powell's 'Flight' decks, once you get past $50, there really isn't much difference in any of them. They all get 'private labeled' out the same factory in China with different graphics applied for the customer's brand name. My Element is no different than your Baker, Creature or Plan B but go ahead and bash me if it makes you happy.

You are insanely incorrect with this info and digging a hole for yourself with some very well-informed gear heads. All the best...

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4597 on: October 04, 2021, 10:33:13 AM »
And so, it begins…

Fhk

« Reply #4598 on: October 04, 2021, 10:38:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I also ended up buying the hard bushings for my classic 66s. I never tightened them though. Hope they make a difference.
I bought a pair for my classic 66s as well. I sure hope they make a difference too. Hopefully I will test them out this afternoon when I get out of work.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #4599 on: October 04, 2021, 11:29:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My Element is no different than your Baker, Creature or Plan B but go ahead and bash me if it makes you happy.

I miss these days. Turn back while you can, before you end up requiring a green ply 8.3 2 1/2 FoF on the nose 1 1/2 FoF on tail BBS with a blunt nose tapered tail with 14.18 WB mellow kicks and average concave deck pressed in the middle of the stack 31.8 L on 5.6 Venture hollows with 88a supercush bushings and a flat top washer and riptide cups.

Lhotse

« Reply #4600 on: October 04, 2021, 11:29:32 AM »
You are insanely incorrect with this info and digging a hole for yourself with some very well-informed gear heads. All the best...

That's funny. You questioning my sanity.  ::)

Son, I've been skating since 1974 and if you and your so-called "well informed friends" I've never met wanna be rubes, that's your business. I have not a sh!t to give. I just have fun skating. Maybe if you educated yourself in regards to engineering and manufacturing, instead of coat-tailing what the rest of the sheep are crying about because you don't have the knowledge to form your own valid opinion, you might realize a few things but no, go ahead and keep trolling the internet. It's easier than expanding your knowledge about something and it's what you're actually good at.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4601 on: October 04, 2021, 11:33:35 AM »
Big deal. You are incredibly wrong about skateboard deck manufacturing. I don't care how old you are. Don't "son" me. Get some good information under your belt and then we can talk about old man skateboarding.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4602 on: October 04, 2021, 11:45:28 AM »
@Lhotse Its also Joey Tershay not Jeff. I'm a huge Ace fan but you will see some people have had significant  issues with them, if you took some time read through things here. If you don't want to do that, then come in with a bit more humility.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4603 on: October 04, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »
@Lhotse  man you are just wrong. Age doesn’t equal intelligence or you’d know how incorrect you are. Go stroll on over to the woodshop thread and realize not all of the boards you mentioned are China pressed unless you are from the EU or something and even if some are pressed by the same manufacturer molds and all sorts of variables are in play. You can not care about those nuances and that’s fine. But to say they are all the same or even from the same factory is naive

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4604 on: October 04, 2021, 12:04:15 PM »
Calling out someone for this:

Expand Quote
[close]

2) You actually bought trucks or ANY gear and...you didn't install it within seconds of getting it and ride the sh!t out of it until the sun went down? Do you admire them on a shelf like some 'Objet d'art'? Do you dust them off occasionally?  ;D
and YOU are criticizing ME? REALLY?!  ::)

while posting this in the same thread:

and my Ace AF1 33s.  I never ride this board, I'm too afraid to damage it. I'm 58 and this deck was like the 'Holy Grail' in the 70s. Never thought I'd own one but I do now. ;)

makes you look like a giant douche.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4605 on: October 04, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »

Lhotse

« Reply #4606 on: October 04, 2021, 12:37:40 PM »
I don't think this is the place for me.  ::)
You guys are like those golfers who think they can buy their game in the pro shop, instead of taking a lesson from the pro and just learning how to hit a golf ball correctly.
You keep buying into a marketing strategy that tries to convince you that what you bought last year now sucks and you have to spend more money to stay relevant.
We used to cut our decks out of pine and oak boards and glue on wedges for kicktails and pour our bearings into the wheels because we had nothing else. The Alva plywood deck didn't come out until '77 and Rodney didn't invent street skating for another 10 years. I started on Bennett, then Tracker Mids and then Independent in '82 until I bought these Aces last spring and I've either owned, knew someone who did or at least seen everything that's come out for the last 47 years and know what? Bashing my deck for no good reason is just a douche thing to do and if you NEED a particular popsicle deck to ride your best, anymore than a scratch golfer actually 'needs' Beryllium Copper irons instead of forged steel? I don't think you're as good of a skater as you think you are.
Remember, the companies NEED you to keep buying every year to stay in business, you don't 'need' the difference in one $60. popsicle deck over another to skate. It's all in your head but go ahead and blather on like you know everything.
What does experience count for, right? You read Thrasher every month, you know everything. ::)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4607 on: October 04, 2021, 12:42:32 PM »
OK, boomer.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4608 on: October 04, 2021, 12:43:27 PM »
Quick question before you bail @Lhotse

Did you quit skateboarding and start again due to the Dogtown documentary?

And you are not a pro. Dumb analogy. You are old and out of touch. Being old is fine. I'm old. Being out of touch is fine. But know when you are and own it.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4609 on: October 04, 2021, 12:53:45 PM »
You guys are like those golfers who think they can buy their game in the pro shop, instead of taking a lesson from the pro and just learning how to hit a golf ball correctly.
You keep buying into a marketing strategy that tries to convince you that what you bought last year now sucks and you have to spend more money to stay relevant.
We used to cut our decks out of pine and oak boards and glue on wedges for kicktails and pour our bearings into the wheels because we had nothing else. The Alva plywood deck didn't come out until '77 and Rodney didn't invent street skating for another 10 years. I started on Bennett, then Tracker Mids and then Independent in '82 until I bought these Aces last spring and I've either owned, knew someone who did or at least seen everything that's come out for the last 47 years and know what? Bashing my deck for no good reason is just a douche thing to do and if you NEED a particular popsicle deck to ride your best, anymore than a scratch golfer actually 'needs' Beryllium Copper irons instead of forged steel? I don't think you're as good of a skater as you think you are.
Remember, the companies NEED you to keep buying every year to stay in business, you don't 'need' the difference in one $60. popsicle deck over another to skate. It's all in your head but go ahead and blather on like you know everything.
What does experience count for, right? You read Thrasher every month, you know everything. ::)

Also you:
My Ace AF1 55s.  8)

and my Ace AF1 33s.  I never ride this board, I'm too afraid to damage it. I'm 58 and this deck was like the 'Holy Grail' in the 70s. Never thought I'd own one but I do now. ;)

Ace AF1s are the best trucks on the market! NOTHING turns as fast as or is stronger. Jeff Tershey took the Stage 3 geometry when he left Independent after working there for years with Eric and Fausto and tweaked it to perfection. Except for downhill, I doubt I'll ever buy another brand of truck for pool riding. Ace is also what comes on all completes from Alva Skates. Good enough for T.A.? Good enough for me and of ALL the people I know who switched over to Ace? Everybody loves them! Not a single complaint ever from anyone, just enthusiasm.  ;)
* I just wish they would come out with a 10" Model '88' so I can replace the Indy 215s on my 10x33 pool board.
My new slappy/pool board. 10x33 Moose blank, Indy 215s, a custom paint job that will cost MORE than the rest of the board, side rails and these 'trash' 53mm wheels with a huge radius on the inside and a small contact patch, along with cheap bearings for Slappy Grind Saturdays with the crew.
I swap out the wheels and bearings for 56mm Spitfire F4 Full Conicals with Bones Swiss 6 Balls for pool riding.

Fuck off.

Lhotse

« Reply #4610 on: October 04, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »
Fuck off.
Fuck your mother for both mistakes.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4611 on: October 04, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4612 on: October 04, 2021, 01:01:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuck off.
[close]

Go get some grind marks on those Aces and come back when you've got a groove going.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4613 on: October 04, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuck off.
[close]
My mother passed last year but she had better taste than to fuck any dude that had this vibe.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4614 on: October 04, 2021, 01:01:45 PM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4615 on: October 04, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »
Man, I was feeling good about being an old skateboarder and then @Lhotse comes on the scene and I have immediate contact embarrassment. Please ban me from SLAP before I hit 50 so I don't look as bad. Thanks Pals.

Lhotse

« Reply #4616 on: October 04, 2021, 01:20:54 PM »
Quick question before you bail @Lhotse

Did you quit skateboarding and start again due to the Dogtown documentary?

And you are not a pro. Dumb analogy. You are old and out of touch. Being old is fine. I'm old. Being out of touch is fine. But know when you are and own it.

Speaking of 'dumb' things to say, you just made a ton of very incorrect assumptions about me. I've never stopped skating or skiing. We have a local pool in the town park and it's New England. No shortage of hills and garages to bomb. Why would I ever quit? and don't think just because some kid's got a board deal, he's actually knows anything. They have deck engineers who do that with CAD systems and again, it's a $60. popsicle deck. There's just so much you can do with the design to make a huge difference aside from using different layers like the Powell 'Flight' decks.
But go ahead, keep insulting me. It's pretty funny actually seeing people want to believe something so bad, they'll say anything for validation.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4617 on: October 04, 2021, 01:37:03 PM »
I have made zero assumptions about you while you continue to make many about other posters here.

I asked you one question. That is not making a 'ton of assumptions.'

But I will make one now. You are intellectually challenged and very evidently incapable of a coherent discourse. As someone else mentioned, it is sad to see wisdom does not always come with age.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4618 on: October 04, 2021, 01:41:43 PM »
I don’t know if I’m quite ready to trust someone riding an element deck in 2021
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4619 on: October 04, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »
Here you go @Lhotse https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/

There are some good dudes on there but also lots of other clueless old men to grunt and moan with. They are big fans of Ace also.