Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747349 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4770 on: October 19, 2021, 03:56:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

I know that a lot of yall curb enthusiasts love Ace and I really love them since i've started riding them for 2 years now. Sadly,  I keep blowing up my pivot cup and pivot hole in my front truck on my Ace 55 classic. Riptide, Independent, Ace, no matter what cups I put in they blow out after like 10 slappy crooks. It sucks cause I went through two brand new baseplates because the pivot cavity blow out (the metal on the side literally popped out). In my souvenirs, my Indys 159 were sturdier and didnt had this problem. Im riding my Aces with no bottom washer and a flat one on top, same with the Indys. Anyone had/have this problem? And was I just lucky with my last Indy pair and both are prone to Pivoty Destruction? Thx a lot
[close]

You need to add to this poll - Ace Pivot issues thread, care of the guy above (RottenToTheCore):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118830.0

So far it is about 50 / 50 for happy vs assorted baseplate and pivot issues, so that is some pretty solid unhappiness but I think we need more people to fill out the poll to get a more even spread of the skate community.

Also, just curious if you had warranty replacements sent to you or didn't ask or whatever.
[close]

I think he’s in Europe. And my costumer service experience with any American brand (including Ace) as an European is pretty much useless…
[close]

I got a new set of AF1 66s after bothering the customer service at Ace for a few months. I live in Finland.

My pivot cavity dented and tore the pivot cup bushing. Trucks still worked fine though until I ground down the kingpin nut and retired the trucks until I can source a rethreader and bring them back out of retirement to grind them in half. I did manage to buy a new set before receiving the replacements from Ace so now I have a bunch of AF1 66s in various stages of wear.  :D

Well at least that. Did you had to send your old trucks back to them?

I had a pair of 33 classics about 5/6 years ago, I think it was before they beefed them up… both had massive axle slip and the pivot cups were torn to shreds in like 3/4 months of use. They went from godlike turn to barely turning. So I contacted the Ace Costumer Service and they wanted me to send the trucks to them so they could take a look and then send me a new pair. I ain’t sending trucks from Portugal to the US at my expense… then also wait god knows how long to get the new trucks back and in the meanwhile I can’t skate. (I was a broke teenager) So I just caved in and bought indys. I ride everything stock and never had a problem since.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4771 on: October 19, 2021, 04:14:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

I know that a lot of yall curb enthusiasts love Ace and I really love them since i've started riding them for 2 years now. Sadly,  I keep blowing up my pivot cup and pivot hole in my front truck on my Ace 55 classic. Riptide, Independent, Ace, no matter what cups I put in they blow out after like 10 slappy crooks. It sucks cause I went through two brand new baseplates because the pivot cavity blow out (the metal on the side literally popped out). In my souvenirs, my Indys 159 were sturdier and didnt had this problem. Im riding my Aces with no bottom washer and a flat one on top, same with the Indys. Anyone had/have this problem? And was I just lucky with my last Indy pair and both are prone to Pivoty Destruction? Thx a lot
[close]

You need to add to this poll - Ace Pivot issues thread, care of the guy above (RottenToTheCore):

So far it is about 50 / 50 for happy vs assorted baseplate and pivot issues, so that is some pretty solid unhappiness but I think we need more people to fill out the poll to get a more even spread of the skate community.

Also, just curious if you had warranty replacements sent to you or didn't ask or whatever.
[close]

I think he’s in Europe. And my costumer service experience with any American brand (including Ace) as an European is pretty much useless…
[close]

I got a new set of AF1 66s after bothering the customer service at Ace for a few months. I live in Finland.

My pivot cavity dented and tore the pivot cup bushing. Trucks still worked fine though until I ground down the kingpin nut and retired the trucks until I can source a rethreader and bring them back out of retirement to grind them in half. I did manage to buy a new set before receiving the replacements from Ace so now I have a bunch of AF1 66s in various stages of wear.  :D
[close]

I had a pair of 33 classics about 5/6 years ago, I think it was before they beefed them up… both had massive axle slip and the pivot cups were torn to shreds in like 3/4 months of use. They went from godlike turn to barely turning. So I contacted the Ace Costumer Service and they wanted me to send the trucks to them so they could take a look and then send me a new pair. I ain’t sending trucks from Portugal to the US at my expense… then also wait god knows how long to get the new trucks back and in the meanwhile I can’t skate. (I was a broke teenager) So I just caved in and bought indys. I ride everything stock and never had a problem since.

I didn’t. I did contact the dude at the customer service many times and then at some point he stopped replying and I stopped bothering him as I was on summer vacation traveling around but when I came back from vacation a set of new trucks with a bunch of stickers were waiting for me. So, far from perfect but in the end I’m happy that I got a new set due to a small defect that didn’t end up bothering me anyway.

I’ve run my AF1s stock and had the pivot cavity dent on one  (out of three) set and pivot cup bushing rip. Classics I’ve used otherwise stock but replaced both washers with thinner and larger diameter ones and have had pivot cup bushings rip fast but still last me several months until they need to be replaced.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4772 on: October 19, 2021, 06:14:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got my first set of Aces (AF1 66) I will try the stock bushings but I'm afraid that they will be too loose for me. I been riding bones hard bushings for the last 6 years in thunders, Indys and ventures.

Checking this thread just realized seems that Aces doesn't work well with bones hards. Aces hard bushings are not available in Europe yet. any other backup plan?

Thanks pals
[close]

Try the stock bushings and see, but failing that, keep all washers from the normal bushings on when you use the Bones bushings and you should be fine.  Even put the small flat one that comes with the bones bushings on first before anything else, so it brings the bottom height up a touch.

Others I know do that and it works for them.
[close]

Solid advice if you use Bones with Ace.

I’m a big fan of Krux bushings with Ace. Krux are the same height as the stock ones. They’re just hard enough to be super stable but soft enough to get a nice deep carve (92a)
[close]

Thanks you guys, great advice for the Bones bushings. I even though about putting the small washer with the stock bushings to tight them a little bit more.

I also checked the krux bushings in this thread but I couldn't find them in any Euro shop. Even the distributor doesn't know that they exist :_)

You need some Krux bushings? I have my stock K5 bushings that I barely used before I swapped them out for Bones hards. I'll probably never use them.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #4773 on: October 19, 2021, 06:17:07 AM »
does the Tensors interlocking bushings works with Ace? anyone ever tried it?

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #4774 on: October 19, 2021, 06:44:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got my first set of Aces (AF1 66) I will try the stock bushings but I'm afraid that they will be too loose for me. I been riding bones hard bushings for the last 6 years in thunders, Indys and ventures.

Checking this thread just realized seems that Aces doesn't work well with bones hards. Aces hard bushings are not available in Europe yet. any other backup plan?

Thanks pals
[close]

Try the stock bushings and see, but failing that, keep all washers from the normal bushings on when you use the Bones bushings and you should be fine.  Even put the small flat one that comes with the bones bushings on first before anything else, so it brings the bottom height up a touch.

Others I know do that and it works for them.
[close]

Solid advice if you use Bones with Ace.

I’m a big fan of Krux bushings with Ace. Krux are the same height as the stock ones. They’re just hard enough to be super stable but soft enough to get a nice deep carve (92a)
[close]

Thanks you guys, great advice for the Bones bushings. I even though about putting the small washer with the stock bushings to tight them a little bit more.

I also checked the krux bushings in this thread but I couldn't find them in any Euro shop. Even the distributor doesn't know that they exist :_)
[close]

You need some Krux bushings? I have my stock K5 bushings that I barely used before I swapped them out for Bones hards. I'll probably never use them.

I bought a set of bones hard bushings, if anything works I let you know. Many thanks for the offering.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #4775 on: October 19, 2021, 06:53:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I didn’t. I did contact the dude at the customer service many times and then at some point he stopped replying and I stopped bothering him as I was on summer vacation traveling around but when I came back from vacation a set of new trucks with a bunch of stickers were waiting for me. So, far from perfect but in the end I’m happy that I got a new set due to a small defect that didn’t end up bothering me anyway.

I’ve run my AF1s stock and had the pivot cavity dent on one  (out of three) set and pivot cup bushing rip. Classics I’ve used otherwise stock but replaced both washers with thinner and larger diameter ones and have had pivot cup bushings rip fast but still last me several months until they need to be replaced.

Deluxe has an amazing customer service trough distributors, I got another set of Spitfires in 3 days. Anyway right know Ace are distributed in Europe by Mesa Distribution (not sure if all Europe but they have several countries). It's owned by Marcos Gomez (BCN Legend) but Joey Tershay is involved too, so I guess they can replace parts from directly from Europe.

https://www.instagram.com/mesadistribution/

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 460
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4776 on: October 19, 2021, 07:17:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Deluxe has an amazing customer service trough distributors, I got another set of Spitfires in 3 days. Anyway right know Ace are distributed in Europe by Mesa Distribution (not sure if all Europe but they have several countries). It's owned by Marcos Gomez (BCN Legend) but Joey Tershay is involved too, so I guess they can replace parts from directly from Europe.

https://www.instagram.com/mesadistribution/

Indy and Ace baseplate design is so similar. Has anyone tried Ace hangers on Indy baseplates just to see if it is indeed a geometry issue over a quality issue?

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4777 on: October 19, 2021, 07:54:29 AM »
I posted a photo of someone else’s (from IG) Ace AF1 hanger / Indy Baseplate setup in the Truck Setups Thread. It may be a few pages back now.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4778 on: October 19, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
does the Tensors interlocking bushings works with Ace? anyone ever tried it?
Can confirm. Not my thing but they fit

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4779 on: October 19, 2021, 02:58:40 PM »
I swear half of this talk of bushings being too soft is a result of people not giving them the time to break in. They firm up as much as Independent stock bushings. They felt ridiculously soft at first but after a few weeks of skating it's a completely different story

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4780 on: October 19, 2021, 05:06:11 PM »
I swear half of this talk of bushings being too soft is a result of people not giving them the time to break in. They firm up as much as Independent stock bushings. They felt ridiculously soft at first but after a few weeks of skating it's a completely different story

They really do. Night & day difference to me. Would have preferred them to firm up a tad bit less actually but I’m still good with how they end up.

con_hielo

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4781 on: October 19, 2021, 06:04:01 PM »
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

Had the same problem, just switched back to indy

Damn, thinking about it too... How did it felt getting back on Indy? Was it much less responsive or clunky? I feel like my Aces are so quick and fun
( -_-) Thx!

Expand Quote
Would be curious to find out how many people who have pivot issues are running non-stock bushing/washer options.
Wondering if the small change in geometry that results from removing a bottom washer, or running a shorter bottom bushing, for example could lead to the massive pivot mastication we’ve been reading about for so long.
Maybe Aces are delicate flowers that instantly wilt as soon as you so much as look at their bushings?
My classics are fine, presently, but I’m running them stock. Still, one can’t help but wonder about the cause of such a large scale issue.
Or maybe it’s just garbage QC over at factory Ace.
[close]

My 3 sets of aces (1 classic 2 af1) were all completely stock, didn’t even loosen or tighten them. All the pivot cups broke after 1-3 slappy sessions.

Same for my first pair too, stock bushings and everything was good until I slappied ahah. The second pair I did switch the top bushing for an Ace low one + a flat washer and no bottom one and same result as the stock one. I ride wobbly loose too, so I feel that my Aces may have to much wiggling space so it allows the pivot to lock or bang into the edge of the cavity every time I slappy. When I rode Indys, I was just pullin out the bottom washer and thats it. Nothing crazy loose like now, which is still not Daewon-esque >_<

Sorry I still don't know how to add quotes that aren't in the topic summary, but in from Canada and yes my local made it happen with a replacement for the first pair. However, the distribution rep wasnt so stoked about it and tried to send me only one truck even if both were destroyed. Luckily, my friend at the shop talked him into a whole pair even if he was saying something like it was my fault if it was broken. Which is not completely false ahah.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 06:11:25 PM by con_hielo »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4782 on: October 20, 2021, 04:47:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

[close]

Damn, thinking about it too... How did it felt getting back on Indy? Was it much less responsive or clunky? I feel like my Aces are so quick and fun
( -_-) Thx!

I know you weren’t asking me, but I think people over dramatize on the turn topic. Aces turn amazingly, but I feel like indys are a really really close second. Like it’s not a change that would hinder your skating by any means. I remember when I went from Ace to Indy and I was like “damn, they turn really well too”. But I also remember  perfectly when I had some krux (for a brief moment) coming from Indy and I was like “fuck, I can’t skate those shits”.
I currently have indys 144’s on my regular board and ACE AF1 77’s on my cruiser and I don’t feel that much of a difference. Both are fun, carvy and turn really well…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4783 on: October 20, 2021, 04:59:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

[close]

( -_-) Thx!
[close]

I know you weren’t asking me, but I think people over dramatize on the turn topic. Aces turn amazingly, but I feel like indys are a really really close second. Like it’s not a change that would hinder your skating by any means. I remember when I went from Ace to Indy and I was like “damn, they turn really well too”. But I also remember  perfectly when I had some krux (for a brief moment) coming from Indy and I was like “fuck, I can’t skate those shits”.
I currently have indys 144’s on my regular board and ACE AF1 77’s on my cruiser and I don’t feel that much of a difference. Both are fun, carvy and turn really well…

Just want to say that I found between skinny and wide truck they have very different turning,skinnier turns quicker, so not the best comparison between Indy 144 amd Ace af1 77,if you ask me. Even Ace 44 and 55 turn different to me.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4784 on: October 20, 2021, 05:26:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

[close]

( -_-) Thx!
[close]

[close]

Just want to say that I found between skinny and wide truck they have very different turning,skinnier turns quicker, so not the best comparison between Indy 144 amd Ace af1 77,if you ask me. Even Ace 44 and 55 turn different to me.

You’re right. Wheelbase of the board also changes things up.

When I changed from Ace to Indy a couple years ago was from 33’s to 139s and that change didn’t affect me at all tho.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4785 on: October 20, 2021, 05:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

[close]

( -_-) Thx!
[close]

[close]

[close]

You’re right. Wheelbase of the board also changes things up.

When I changed from Ace to Indy a couple years ago was from 33’s to 139s and that change didn’t affect me at all tho.

True, also board steepness affects truck feel a lot. Anyway, I always hate changing trucks but could easily adjust back to Indys if they're the same width I ride in Aces.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4786 on: October 20, 2021, 06:23:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi guys!

[close]

[close]

( -_-) Thx!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Would be curious to find out how many people who have pivot issues are running non-stock bushing/washer options.
Wondering if the small change in geometry that results from removing a bottom washer, or running a shorter bottom bushing, for example could lead to the massive pivot mastication we’ve been reading about for so long.
Maybe Aces are delicate flowers that instantly wilt as soon as you so much as look at their bushings?
My classics are fine, presently, but I’m running them stock. Still, one can’t help but wonder about the cause of such a large scale issue.
Or maybe it’s just garbage QC over at factory Ace.
[close]

My 3 sets of aces (1 classic 2 af1) were all completely stock, didn’t even loosen or tighten them. All the pivot cups broke after 1-3 slappy sessions.
[close]

Same for my first pair too, stock bushings and everything was good until I slappied ahah. The second pair I did switch the top bushing for an Ace low one + a flat washer and no bottom one and same result as the stock one. I ride wobbly loose too, so I feel that my Aces may have to much wiggling space so it allows the pivot to lock or bang into the edge of the cavity every time I slappy. When I rode Indys, I was just pullin out the bottom washer and thats it. Nothing crazy loose like now, which is still not Daewon-esque >_<

Sorry I still don't know how to add quotes that aren't in the topic summary, but in from Canada and yes my local made it happen with a replacement for the first pair. However, the distribution rep wasnt so stoked about it and tried to send me only one truck even if both were destroyed. Luckily, my friend at the shop talked him into a whole pair even if he was saying something like it was my fault if it was broken. Which is not completely false ahah.

The main difference I noticed when switching back to Indy is that to have them as responsive as my Aces I had to sacrifice stability. The problem with indys is that if you want them loose you end up with a lot of wobble.

It is a relief to be able to do slappies again without my pivot cup tearing and baseplate warping though. Indies also grind faster although they don’t have as buttery of a grind as ace.

IpathCats

« Reply #4787 on: October 20, 2021, 06:31:18 AM »

The main difference I noticed when switching back to Indy is that to have them as responsive as my Aces I had to sacrifice stability. The problem with indys is that if you want them loose you end up with a lot of wobble.

It is a relief to be able to do slappies again without my pivot cup tearing and baseplate warping though. Indies also grind faster although they don’t have as buttery of a grind as ace.

The AF1's aren't nearly as soft as the classics. I find the grind to be very similar, if anything what makes it different is the size of the surface. more material on indys

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4788 on: October 20, 2021, 07:06:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The AF1's aren't nearly as soft as the classics. I find the grind to be very similar, if anything what makes it different is the size of the surface. more material on indys

Not my experience on curbs, probably different on steel coping and ledges

IpathCats

« Reply #4789 on: October 20, 2021, 07:25:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

interesting, I've skated all of the above on both trucks. are the indy's you're comparing them to very borken in by chance? I'm comparing AF1's and titanium indy's if it makes a difference. I really noticed the difference between indy's and classics, but not really with the AF1

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4790 on: October 20, 2021, 08:47:34 AM »
FWIW. I switched back to Indy. I have 149s on my like daily set up skate anything board. And AF1s with warped pivot cavity on my tranny set up. Switching back to Indy I loosened them up a bit and they are slightly less stable but they feel good. Ace definitely left a bad taste in my mouth after the AF1 QC issues. Also sometimes I feel Indy grind better other times I feel ace does. I switch back and forth between set ups depending what I feel like skating that day. They are close enough they don’t feel much different at all.

RottenToTheCore

« Reply #4791 on: October 20, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

interesting, I've skated all of the above on both trucks. are the indy's you're comparing them to very borken in by chance? I'm comparing AF1's and titanium indy's if it makes a difference. I really noticed the difference between indy's and classics, but not really with the AF1

Brand new standard 159s

IpathCats

« Reply #4792 on: October 20, 2021, 09:40:43 AM »

Brand new standard 159s

I'm stumped then haha.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4793 on: October 20, 2021, 10:02:18 AM »
Also back on Indy (149 cast hollows w/94 barrels from 44 classics stock), just giving my two cents:

For me, the pop and pinch on Indy are significantly better, and as others have said the grind is faster (which I will take over smoother). I don't think the turn is crazy different, though due to the shorter top bushings the rebound isn't as nice on the Indys, and they bite a bit more easily due to the axle placement.

The improved (for me) pop and pinch, along with the durability, were the clinchers. The classics are good trucks, but I objectively skate better on Indys and they last me significantly longer.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #4794 on: October 20, 2021, 10:08:30 AM »
have you tried ace hangars with kreepar baseplates?

IpathCats

« Reply #4795 on: October 20, 2021, 10:59:00 AM »
have you tried ace hangars with kreepar baseplates?

No, not based enough yet.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4796 on: October 20, 2021, 12:01:40 PM »
hi guys!

it sounds like the pivot point on your hangar isn't angled directly in line with the pivot cup, this could be happening because your bottom washer hangar isn't sitting high enough off of the baseplate (because you aren't using a bottom washer). Try putting a bottom washer in and see if it changes anything.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 09:54:31 AM by dr.prestige »

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4797 on: October 20, 2021, 05:01:52 PM »
Currently skating Classic 44s on a 8.375 but wanting to try the AF1 55 but…. After reading a couple pages Idk  :-\ should I stick to what I got or run the card on a pair at my local and just try my ass off to break em in?

Only in my head about the decision because I’ve decided I’m pretty much gonna stick to riding 8.38-8.5 range instead of 8.25 like I’ve been running for awhile now

Slugboi22

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4798 on: October 20, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »
Currently skating Classic 44s on a 8.375 but wanting to try the AF1 55 but…. After reading a couple pages Idk  :-\ should I stick to what I got or run the card on a pair at my local and just try my ass off to break em in?

Only in my head about the decision because I’ve decided I’m pretty much gonna stick to riding 8.38-8.5 range instead of 8.25 like I’ve been running for awhile now
i would just say to stick with classics for awhile. 44s work well in the size range you ride. You truly aren’t missing out on too much with AF1s

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #4799 on: October 20, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »
ya'll the same fools who are going to be complaining about lurpivs in the future..just give it time..
big texas cummer