Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747301 times)

Mantracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5130 on: March 15, 2022, 01:43:17 PM »
Not much  we didn't already know but cool little interview with Joey T about Ace.

https://www.vhsmag.com/voice-of-freedom/joey-tershay-en/

I dont like how he said that the classics are the exact same as AF1, just higher quality.

There's pretty obvious size differences between 44 and 44AF1 (and every other model) and I wish he touched on that or explained why they chose to re-size

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5131 on: March 15, 2022, 03:04:30 PM »
Just putting this out into the universe: somebody should do an Ace but with stage 7s

Wait is that what Film is doing?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #5132 on: March 15, 2022, 03:10:28 PM »
Just putting this out into the universe: somebody should do an Ace but with stage 7s

My dream truck is a stage 7 with (any amount of) improved kingpin clearance and no axle slip. NHS has the big bucks and is already very successful with their reissue boards, so would it kill them to reissue some trucks as well?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5133 on: March 15, 2022, 03:27:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My dream truck is a stage 7 with (any amount of) improved kingpin clearance and no axle slip. NHS has the big bucks and is already very successful with their reissue boards, so would it kill them to reissue some trucks as well?

Ordering some shaped decks from PS or BBS is a far cry from retooling a factory half the world away to make a limited run of skateboard trucks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5134 on: March 15, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ordering some shaped decks from PS or BBS is a far cry from retooling a factory half the world away to make a limited run of skateboard trucks.

Sure. I am certain that you are correct, the logistics would be shit. But goddamn the dream…adding to the difficult details, I remember hearing some 5th hand account of indy leaving ermico and some talk of the molds…say they might not even have them. But stage 7s with modern manufacturing!? Fuck. The older truck sounded better too, but that’s most likely some fried shit that isn’t real

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #5135 on: March 15, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sure. I am certain that you are correct, the logistics would be shit. But goddamn the dream…adding to the difficult details, I remember hearing some 5th hand account of indy leaving ermico and some talk of the molds…say they might not even have them. But stage 7s with modern manufacturing!? Fuck. The older truck sounded better too, but that’s most likely some fried shit that isn’t real

I was mostly being facetious, snakey, engaging in a bit of whimsey. But yeah, to OKs point about modern QC, trucks have come a long way and it would be cool to see some older designs with axles that don't slip and whatnot. Realize that won't happen, but it is fun to talk about it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5136 on: March 15, 2022, 05:44:29 PM »
I rode Stage 7’s and I think Ben Degros reviewed them but they were not great compared to Stage 11. The kingpin clearance sucks in comparison, they’re a brick, and the turn wasn’t remotely as good as it is now.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #5137 on: March 15, 2022, 06:29:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just chiming in to say I skated the AF1 55 for the first time the other day. Had a fantastic session.
[close]

what was your previous set?
[close]

i've been skating thunder 149 for most of the last decade, but have been skating mostly indy 149 in the last 2-3 years. this is the first pair of ace since my first and only set that i skated around 08-09
[close]

Love that ace turn, and being able to run big ass wheels with little to no wheelbite, so I can’t totally banish the ace, but…I cannot pop for shit on most setups with ace.
Right now I’m on thunder 149s, and really appreciate the pop and consistency. I skate flatground mostly. If I was on round walls it’d be right back to the ace.

i feel you bro

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #5138 on: March 16, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »
Just picked up a pair of 66 classics for no reason at all. Anyone have any recommendations of which decks/wheels youve liked on them?

Was thinking about the 9.5 symm egg but don’t know if the long kicks would make the pop too soft

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5139 on: March 16, 2022, 05:31:12 PM »
Lows should be coming out "soon". I saw a leaked spring summer catalog with the ace low fully featured. I know shops in asia and Aus have started receiving them as well. So really just a matter of time. Talked to my shop today and they said "soon". I would guess in a few months.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5140 on: March 16, 2022, 05:33:48 PM »
Anyone want to share the new Ace Catalog via DM?

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5141 on: March 16, 2022, 08:16:08 PM »
What are experiences with Classic hangers in AF1 baseplates? I don’t like my AF1s but I do have a spare set of classic 55 hangers I wouldn’t mind putting on a pool board.

Sorry I know this has definitely been answered before, I couldn’t find anything via search but I know it’s definitely here. I know one combination worked better than the other but struggling to remember.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5142 on: March 16, 2022, 11:24:53 PM »

Not sure if there's been any pics of the 60s uploaded yet but Curren Caples has been skating them
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

mamba

• Sucka free
« Reply #5143 on: March 16, 2022, 11:44:38 PM »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5144 on: March 17, 2022, 12:37:46 AM »

Can’t wait to get the 60s! Being in Finland where Hoep is the distributor means it’s gonna happen real soon!

Then I’m gonna have the dilemma of which trucks to skate:
44 classics
55 classics
66 classics
55 AF1
60 AF1
66 AF1

;D

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #5145 on: March 17, 2022, 12:56:30 AM »
Where is the regular hollow AF1’s? Thought that was a thing...  :'(

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5146 on: March 17, 2022, 01:42:26 AM »
What are experiences with Classic hangers in AF1 baseplates? I don’t like my AF1s but I do have a spare set of classic 55 hangers I wouldn’t mind putting on a pool board.

Sorry I know this has definitely been answered before, I couldn’t find anything via search but I know it’s definitely here. I know one combination worked better than the other but struggling to remember.

It was me

I bought a set of af1 in a size I thought I was gonna rock and they’re just too heavy and since af1 are a liver and an arm I just plugged my classic 44 hangar on the af1 baseplates and it just felt like a more solid stable classic, slightly heavier but a classic that’s more solid and slightly more stable

I think the af1 just have a better solid turn but man they heavy
yes

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #5147 on: March 17, 2022, 04:23:40 AM »

what are some of the advantages of low trucks? i feel like there’s no pop and hella wheelbite

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5148 on: March 17, 2022, 05:06:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It was me

I bought a set of af1 in a size I thought I was gonna rock and they’re just too heavy and since af1 are a liver and an arm I just plugged my classic 44 hangar on the af1 baseplates and it just felt like a more solid stable classic, slightly heavier but a classic that’s more solid and slightly more stable

I think the af1 just have a better solid turn but man they heavy

Thanks for that! Will give it a go once I can get some riptide pivots.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #5149 on: March 17, 2022, 06:00:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can’t wait to get the 60s! Being in Finland where Hoep is the distributor means it’s gonna happen real soon!

44 classics
55 classics
66 classics
55 AF1
60 AF1
66 AF1

;D

Go ahead https://myfavoritethings.fi/collections/new-arrivals/products/ace-trucks-af1-polished-60
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

IpathCats

« Reply #5150 on: March 17, 2022, 06:02:32 AM »

Not sure if there's been any pics of the 60s uploaded yet but Curren Caples has been skating them

Caples on skate mental feels so wrong to me.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5151 on: March 17, 2022, 06:14:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

44 classics
55 classics
66 classics
55 AF1
60 AF1
66 AF1

;D

[close]

Go ahead https://myfavoritethings.fi/collections/new-arrivals/products/ace-trucks-af1-polished-60

Damn. Thanks. I’d go pick up a set today if I didn’t have the corona right now. Maybe they still have some left next week.  :)

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5152 on: March 17, 2022, 06:31:44 AM »

Polished Classics no longer listed as available in 33 and 44, but those sizes are listed for the other colors.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5153 on: March 17, 2022, 06:35:12 AM »

Same. I don’t care at all about a low truck - give me a standard AF1 44 with a hollow kingpin and axle already.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5154 on: March 17, 2022, 07:51:39 AM »
Ace virgin here, have a pair of the Ace 03 that I'm thinking to try, dip my toes into the world of Ace before the new AF1 Low gets released.

Anyone got a review of the 03? They are listed as 53mm on the Ace website which seems off since Classic are 53mm. Thinking of rocking them on a 8.25, if you've done similar let me know.

I have 03s on a black Classic Eagle (8.125?) with 53mm wheels. As far as low trucks go, I guess they’re more like Thunders than Ventures. Quicker, snappier, looser (I had to find different bushings to get them feeling medium). Despite that, the pop feels surprisingly stable to me, at least on this deck. Maybe it’s the steeper shape. I rode them on a really mellow Enjoi Panda previously and did not have a good time.

mamba

• Sucka free
« Reply #5155 on: March 17, 2022, 09:22:12 AM »

i guarantee you an AF-1 hollow will happen at some point. When? Not sure. Interview on VHS mag with Joey Tershay states that Hollow AF-1 is in the works.

i’m just planning on using risers with the lows. 1/8 inch risers are 3.17 mm, so riding them with the lows would put it 52.17 height. 53 is AF-1 normal. I think 52 is classic.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #5156 on: March 17, 2022, 02:57:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i guarantee you an AF-1 hollow will happen at some point. When? Not sure. Interview on VHS mag with Joey Tershay states that Hollow AF-1 is in the works.

i’m just planning on using risers with the lows. 1/8 inch risers are 3.17 mm, so riding them with the lows would put it 52.17 height. 53 is AF-1 normal. I think 52 is classic.

Idk man, ace is pretty good at making shit no one asked for and not giving us what everyone wanted…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #5157 on: March 17, 2022, 03:11:40 PM »
My new 55 classics are already bending. How bent is "bent enough" to contact ace and get new ones? What's their policy?

mamba

• Sucka free
« Reply #5158 on: March 17, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Idk man, ace is pretty good at making shit no one asked for and not giving us what everyone wanted…

I think people need to temper their expectations of Ace so they stop getting so disappointed. There is a cult like following for Ace and just trucks in general on here. There is also a lot of armchair skate truck business talk on here for people just being regular skaters. There is an inflated sense of self-importance on here as well, and when people's expectations aren't met they get pissed. Ace doesn't have to listen to anyone on here. Joey has been in the biz for decades, and i'll trust his discretion over anyone on this forum. this stuff doesn't happen over night. It takes research and testing that can take years. For the longest time Ace only had the Classics, now that that's changing that somehow isn't good enough? Everyone here is probably still gonna be skating aces anyway, so let's just be happy we're getting new shit.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5159 on: March 17, 2022, 05:50:47 PM »
Have they said if they’re doing a 60 for the AF-1 High, or are they only offering the Low in that size?