Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747413 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5160 on: March 17, 2022, 06:13:13 PM »
60 is low and regular Af1

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #5161 on: March 17, 2022, 07:26:13 PM »
Anyone ever changed the pivot cups in the Ace low mag plates? (Classics 03 etc)?

@Xen maybe you??

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5162 on: March 17, 2022, 07:38:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Where is the regular hollow AF1’s? Thought that was a thing...  :'(
[close]

i guarantee you an AF-1 hollow will happen at some point. When? Not sure. Interview on VHS mag with Joey Tershay states that Hollow AF-1 is in the works.

i’m just planning on using risers with the lows. 1/8 inch risers are 3.17 mm, so riding them with the lows would put it 52.17 height. 53 is AF-1 normal. I think 52 is classic.
[close]

Idk man, ace is pretty good at making shit no one asked for and not giving us what everyone wanted…
[close]

I think people need to temper their expectations of Ace so they stop getting so disappointed. There is a cult like following for Ace and just trucks in general on here. There is also a lot of armchair skate truck business talk on here for people just being regular skaters. There is an inflated sense of self-importance on here as well, and when people's expectations aren't met they get pissed. Ace doesn't have to listen to anyone on here. Joey has been in the biz for decades, and i'll trust his discretion over anyone on this forum. this stuff doesn't happen over night. It takes research and testing that can take years. For the longest time Ace only had the Classics, now that that's changing that somehow isn't good enough? Everyone here is probably still gonna be skating aces anyway, so let's just be happy we're getting new shit.

Too well written to be Joey T…

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5163 on: March 17, 2022, 08:45:15 PM »
riptide af1 pivots should be available very soon

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5164 on: March 18, 2022, 07:28:46 AM »
My new 55 classics are already bending. How bent is "bent enough" to contact ace and get new ones? What's their policy?

Take some pics and send them a polite question about it and see what happens.

You might get some new trucks.

Who knows...

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #5165 on: March 18, 2022, 08:28:28 AM »
Anyone have any experience on the Classic Lows?
The SW sale price is tempting.

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5166 on: March 18, 2022, 09:06:47 AM »
Ordered a set of pivot cups and hard bushings for my AF1 44s and they feel great. Using the new hard barrel bushings with my older top bushings. I’ll post a pic later

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5167 on: March 18, 2022, 10:03:41 AM »
My new 55 classics are already bending. How bent is "bent enough" to contact ace and get new ones? What's their policy?

Any amount of bent is covered by their warranty. I'd email them with some photos and ask for an upgrade to AF1. Worked for me.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5168 on: March 18, 2022, 11:40:43 AM »
Anyone ever changed the pivot cups in the Ace low mag plates? (Classics 03 etc)?

@Xen maybe you??

@Nth syd bear

Nope, that was before my OCD tinker-time ;)

Only change I did was swap in some Bones hards.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5169 on: March 18, 2022, 12:11:08 PM »
Expand Quote

@Xen maybe you??
[close]

@Nth syd bear

Nope, that was before my OCD tinker-time ;)

Only change I did was swap in some Bones hards.

I can tell why you used hards with them
thx anyway mate

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #5170 on: March 19, 2022, 01:26:01 AM »
Anyone here had thunders and tried aces? Aces look weak as hell. Not sure if they're lighter though.

Edit: Nvm. Aces are heavy AF for some reason 394g's for AF1s vs thunder titanium's which are 312g's for 8.25. Getting thunders next probs.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 01:38:05 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5171 on: March 19, 2022, 02:28:11 AM »
I was on Thunders cast for like ten years. Now currently riding Af1s and honestly, i like them. I don't really notice the weight because aces have so light feeling pop.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5172 on: March 19, 2022, 04:29:08 AM »
Titanium Thunders are mad light and feel much lighter than standard Aces despite the much longer wheelbase. I had a set of Ti 149s with forged plates. Such light pop that I just couldn’t get used to it. I don’t have such finesse. Not a Thunder fan otherwise either so got rid of them. Much happier with Ace.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5173 on: March 19, 2022, 04:35:55 AM »
Titanium Thunders are mad light and feel much lighter than standard Aces despite the much longer wheelbase. I had a set of Ti 149s with forged plates. Such light pop that I just couldn’t get used to it. I don’t have such finesse. Not a Thunder fan otherwise either so got rid of them. Much happier with Ace.

Damn wtf really? I kinda want less weight for flip tricks. How do aces grind? I got mad grooves on ventures and they are still holding strong.

IpathCats

« Reply #5174 on: March 19, 2022, 05:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn wtf really? I kinda want less weight for flip tricks. How do aces grind? I got mad grooves on ventures and they are still holding strong.

I would not suggest aces if you're worried about flip tricks. Especially if you like the way your ventures skate. Many people report a "floppy" feeling to their flip tricks on ace because of the light pop feel and short wheelbase. Thunders will retain a snappy pop feel, while being one of the lightest trucks.

Edit: look at the general types of guys on thunder vs ace, should give you an idea of what they're each best at.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:28:16 AM by IpathCats »

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5175 on: March 19, 2022, 06:04:18 AM »
If you mainly flip your board i would go Thunders.
For me Aces need to be paired with steep deck and bigger wheel for flip tricks to feel nice. Aces do grind better than Thunders though.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5176 on: March 19, 2022, 08:47:11 AM »
Anyone here had thunders and tried aces? Aces look weak as hell. Not sure if they're lighter though.

Edit: Nvm. Aces are heavy AF for some reason 394g's for AF1s vs thunder titanium's which are 312g's for 8.25. Getting thunders next probs.

Up until about a year ago, I was primarily on Thunders, but gave some Ace Classics a try & loved their turn.
Here’s my take…

Weight: Thunder wins out here: until there’s a hollow Ace, even the standard Thunders will likely weigh less.

Pop: I prefer the pop on the Thunders, but after getting used to the Ace, the reduced effort to get that tail/nose to the ground feels nice, but side by side, I still prefer the steeper pop of the Thunder.

Turn: Ace all day, all the way. I’m going to get all D. Gesmer for a second & remind everybody that “turning is the essence of skateboarding.” ;) My Aces turn in nearly as quickly as the seemingly psychically controlled Thunders, but do so waaay deeper by having the sweep of the hanger at a less extreme angle (more towards the center of the board, less upward toward the deck itself). For this same reason, they are less prone to wheel-bite, even while run looser. I can run 56mm wheels on the Ace while at being limited to 54mm on the Thunders to maintain similar performance. Also, for how “surfy” these feel, they are also very stable across the middle & pop back to center real nice. Thunders are just alright, by comparison, in both regards.

Grind: I’m throwing this one over to Thunder with a caveat: I’m riding the Ace Classics & they are renowned for having a “slow/sticky” grind, compared to some other aluminum. The AF1s feel a lot more like all the other trucks I prefer. One of my sets of Thunders is well into the axle, and that pair are the best grinding trucks I’ve ever had (since the last pair I took down into steel) but that’s more about the metallurgy. I did NOT like the narrower axle  “barrel” of the Thunder hanger when they were new, but once worked in a bit, they were fine.

Durability: both have been known to have issues, Ace has a bit of a reputation for QC issues, as I’m sure you know. Both manus have excellent warrantee policies though, so as long as you’ve got a back up pair of trucks you don’t mind setting up while your new set of whatever you choose gets shipped to you, you should be good to go.

Pinch: Thunder. Definately. Not that I’m out their pinching grinds very often, but Thunder for sure.

If you add all of this up, it seems like Thunder is a no-brainer, but I fucking love these Classics. The turn, man… it’s beautiful and not to be underrated, but if it’s tech skating you’re after, my money is on the Thunders.

All of this comes, by the way, from a dude who frequently (& happily) rides three or more different set-ups a session, each w/ different dims & trucks, so how much are you really going to trust my opinion?
Also, MY tech game is nearly non existent, so maybe that advises you as far as how seriously you should weigh my input.

Currently on Indys, Thunder & Ace (love them all, for their own reasons) & I have a set of Ventures that I am hesitant to set up, because I like a quick turn.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 09:11:46 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5177 on: March 19, 2022, 03:37:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Up until about a year ago, I was primarily on Thunders, but gave some Ace Classics a try & loved their turn.
Here’s my take…

Weight: Thunder wins out here: until there’s a hollow Ace, even the standard Thunders will likely weigh less.

Pop: I prefer the pop on the Thunders, but after getting used to the Ace, the reduced effort to get that tail/nose to the ground feels nice, but side by side, I still prefer the steeper pop of the Thunder.

Turn: Ace all day, all the way. I’m going to get all D. Gesmer for a second & remind everybody that “turning is the essence of skateboarding.” ;) My Aces turn in nearly as quickly as the seemingly psychically controlled Thunders, but do so waaay deeper by having the sweep of the hanger at a less extreme angle (more towards the center of the board, less upward toward the deck itself). For this same reason, they are less prone to wheel-bite, even while run looser. I can run 56mm wheels on the Ace while at being limited to 54mm on the Thunders to maintain similar performance. Also, for how “surfy” these feel, they are also very stable across the middle & pop back to center real nice. Thunders are just alright, by comparison, in both regards.

Grind: I’m throwing this one over to Thunder with a caveat: I’m riding the Ace Classics & they are renowned for having a “slow/sticky” grind, compared to some other aluminum. The AF1s feel a lot more like all the other trucks I prefer. One of my sets of Thunders is well into the axle, and that pair are the best grinding trucks I’ve ever had (since the last pair I took down into steel) but that’s more about the metallurgy. I did NOT like the narrower axle  “barrel” of the Thunder hanger when they were new, but once worked in a bit, they were fine.

Durability: both have been known to have issues, Ace has a bit of a reputation for QC issues, as I’m sure you know. Both manus have excellent warrantee policies though, so as long as you’ve got a back up pair of trucks you don’t mind setting up while your new set of whatever you choose gets shipped to you, you should be good to go.

Pinch: Thunder. Definately. Not that I’m out their pinching grinds very often, but Thunder for sure.

If you add all of this up, it seems like Thunder is a no-brainer, but I fucking love these Classics. The turn, man… it’s beautiful and not to be underrated, but if it’s tech skating you’re after, my money is on the Thunders.

All of this comes, by the way, from a dude who frequently (& happily) rides three or more different set-ups a session, each w/ different dims & trucks, so how much are you really going to trust my opinion?
Also, MY tech game is nearly non existent, so maybe that advises you as far as how seriously you should weigh my input.

Currently on Indys, Thunder & Ace (love them all, for their own reasons) & I have a set of Ventures that I am hesitant to set up, because I like a quick turn.

Ventures turn the same as Indy's imo.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5178 on: March 19, 2022, 04:15:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Here’s my take…

[close]

Are you riding your trucks either extremely tight or wobbly loose?

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5179 on: March 19, 2022, 04:18:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Here’s my take…

Pretty much my same experiences as someone who has skated both. I will say I skated better flatground with Thunders, easily. Transition ace takes the cake though. Love the way these can carve a bowl.  Better pop, and the lighter weight helped out a ton. The aces were just more fun though. I can't wait for a hollow ace, 360~ grams put it in the "medium" range (Same weight as 149 thunder hi). Anything in the 390 range is heavy as fuck.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5180 on: March 19, 2022, 09:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Here’s my take…

[close]

[close]

Are you riding your trucks either extremely tight or wobbly loose?

Not wobbly but on loose side.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5181 on: March 20, 2022, 03:38:16 PM »
 AF1 lows turned up this morning and they are soooo good looking

Mind you I  have not skated regular AF1's or seen them up close before

Really beefy hangars compared to classic lows , finish is beautiful, weight feels great, hollow kp tick

If these skate as good as they look  :o

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5182 on: March 20, 2022, 05:22:47 PM »
AF1 lows turned up this morning and they are soooo good looking

Mind you I  have not skated regular AF1's or seen them up close before

Really beefy hangars compared to classic lows , finish is beautiful, weight feels great, hollow kp tick

If these skate as good as they look  :o

Are you in the US? I noticed that the Spring 22 Ace stuff started popping up in Europe and UK as of yesterday.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5183 on: March 20, 2022, 06:39:44 PM »
G'day mate  ;)

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5184 on: March 21, 2022, 06:15:24 PM »
sorry if I sound ignorant, but what is the consensus on hollow regular af1s? Are they coming does it seem or will only the lows be hollow?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5185 on: March 21, 2022, 07:04:21 PM »
sorry if I sound ignorant, but what is the consensus on hollow regular af1s? Are they coming does it seem or will only the lows be hollow?

Hollow regulars are not in the upcoming catalog but Ace have suggested they could be at a later date. So, not anytime soon is my guess.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #5186 on: March 22, 2022, 07:37:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I would not suggest aces if you're worried about flip tricks. Especially if you like the way your ventures skate. Many people report a "floppy" feeling to their flip tricks on ace because of the light pop feel and short wheelbase. Thunders will retain a snappy pop feel, while being one of the lightest trucks.

Edit: look at the general types of guys on thunder vs ace, should give you an idea of what they're each best at.

This is why I'm making the switch back to Thunder, I love Ace but I know I'm not that guy.
I do love seeing alternatives to the norm though. You would think Jacopo Carozzi would skate Thunders with how tech he is but he absolutely crushes it on Ace.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5187 on: March 23, 2022, 03:47:38 AM »
My flip tricks have only gotten better with ACE AF1 after riding Thunders 10 years. I think it's the tighter wheelbase.

360 flips are a chore on thunders

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5188 on: March 23, 2022, 04:46:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is why I'm making the switch back to Thunder, I love Ace but I know I'm not that guy.
I do love seeing alternatives to the norm though. You would think Jacopo Carozzi would skate Thunders with how tech he is but he absolutely crushes it on Ace.

A really good skateboarder will be a really good skateboarder on any truck.
ok thanks

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5189 on: March 23, 2022, 11:22:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

A really good skateboarder will be a really good skateboarder on any truck.
I can attest, from experience, that a really mediocre skateboarder will be a really mediocre skateboarder on any truck, so you may well be onto something here.
Seriously, though: some of y’all don’t get used to a new set-up in a few minutes? I’m guessing it’s different once the really technical tricks gets added to the equation & maybe that’s where I’m having trouble relating (as a very basic skater) but I love trying the homies’ set-ups out, precisely because they ARE different than what I’m riding.
That’s actually how I wound up falling in love w/ Ace trucks in the first place (Thanks, Barker.)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?