Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748106 times)

Bumba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5250 on: April 03, 2022, 05:01:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The top pic is mine and was Standard Indys with the normal kingpin (not the inverted mids). The second pic was from a Royal thread but OP in that thread mentioned that they were standard Indy's too.

I'll double check my Indy's tomorrow but when I measured them they were all 50mm off my board on all 4 axle sides. So confusing. The only part that was 55mm was bottom of truck to top of axle bolt. I'm 100% sure that I'm riding standard Indy's because I compared them to my friends Mids.

I was just banking on Aces being a few mm lower than Indy's to end my madness

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5251 on: April 03, 2022, 05:51:20 PM »
I have multiple pairs of Ace (both classic and AF1) and they always come in lower than my Indy Standards. No idea what's going on with your trucks...

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5252 on: April 03, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »

Two things to note:

Always measure new trucks, not used trucks, as too many things can happen with older or used trucks, least of all being the bushings and pivot cups compress giving them a lower look.  Some bushings I have from used trucks are maybe 1 to 1.5 mm squashed down, when compared to the stock new ones.  Also hanger wear can change how a truck will look, as well as bent axles.

Also check the angle of the hanger and is it completely level from end to end of axles?  Some will sit higher on one side and lower on the other, so this by itself can make some trucks look taller and some look lower, from the same set, just by looking at the right or left.  With most trucks, there is going to be a fair bit of difference with this alone, especially if a higher side of a lower truck is sitting at the same height or above the lower side of a taller truck, as I have set up in other pics.

Indy standard = 55 mm tall and I can feel every mm of it for carvy turns when compared to Ace, Venture, Thunder, etc which are all lower, when paired with the same board, same wheels, even same bushings if it comes down to it, but a thin 2 mm rubber riser makes most of those others feel about the same as the Indy standards and I can carve as usual with no wheelbite or at least none that throws me off, the Thunders especially.

Not saying there are not going to be instances where trucks will feel different or have other things going on, but with a lower bottom bushing, a standard Indy truck can feel almost 2 mm lower as well as sitting about even with those others in the 52 to 53 mm height category.  The kingpin was a lot closer to the hanger axle part on that set too, which needed a spanner to get to the kingpin as the usual skate tool was too big to get down over it.

Sorry, probably too much useless wooden toy knowledge, but it is fun experimenting and working out a few things like that too, just to feel how different trucks can perform from stock or factory builds.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5253 on: April 03, 2022, 07:13:46 PM »
What's up with Ace being the same height as Indy? Indy are meant to be 55mm and Ace 52mm. I measured my Indy's and they are 50mm from baseplate to middle of axle. Sorry if this is a dumb post but going through serious truck madness and this has sent me over the edge.

(Stole this image from a Royal thread. Sorry!)

What bushings do you have in the Ace trucks?

Black Indy or something?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #5254 on: April 03, 2022, 07:45:59 PM »
What's up with Ace being the same height as Indy? Indy are meant to be 55mm and Ace 52mm. I measured my Indy's and they are 50mm from baseplate to middle of axle. Sorry if this is a dumb post but going through serious truck madness and this has sent me over the edge.

Could just be the lighting in your pic, but it looks like the centerline on the Indy’s axle is a few mm higher than the Aces.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #5255 on: April 03, 2022, 07:58:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Could just be the lighting in your pic, but it looks like the centerline on the Indy’s axle is a few mm higher than the Aces.
I agree, it looks higher to me. Ace are 53mm and Indy standard are 55mm so the difference is minimal, roughly the thickness of a bones washer.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5256 on: April 04, 2022, 11:10:48 AM »
I'm back and I must have been tripping last night. My Indy's are 55mm height. Thanks for all the help though. I think risers are 3mm so just expected a bigger difference visually between Indy and Ace

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #5257 on: April 04, 2022, 02:30:58 PM »
is anyone picking up the 60 lows?
interested in hearing how a 49mm 8.75 truck performs
I gave away a set of minilogo 8.75 that are probably 48 or 49mm that I bought trying to make a wide lowrider old guy board. They push in the wheelbase although a tiny bit less than classic Ace. The overall feel of a low, wide, turny truck is great, I just can’t ride wheels small enough for their height at any of my spots other than the skatepark and while the same truck on a riser feels great, I always ended up putting on 55 classics instead.

I’m not sure what the deal is with low trucks on risers but there is definitely a difference in feel changing the position of the pivot in relation to the board (low truck on riser vs high truck, regardless of wheel height etc.). I’d have to try it again with similar trucks but I don’t know if I could live with myself having a preference for lows on risers vs. highs.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #5258 on: April 04, 2022, 11:31:13 PM »
Just got a pair of aces as my backup; impulse buy when I went to visit a skateshop i really like. Any medium-tight ace riders? I ride indies and have em on pretty medium-tight.

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5259 on: April 05, 2022, 03:41:08 AM »
Just got a pair of aces as my backup; impulse buy when I went to visit a skateshop i really like. Any medium-tight ace riders? I ride indies and have em on pretty medium-tight.

I'm running hard bushings on my AF1 after coming from stock indies, very stable but deep turn when you need it.

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5260 on: April 05, 2022, 10:45:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm running hard bushings on my AF1 after coming from stock indies, very stable but deep turn when you need it.

I also ride the Ace Hard bushings on medium/medium tight AF1s. I love them.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5261 on: April 05, 2022, 10:59:19 AM »

I will third the Ace hard bushings if you’re a medium guy. They’re stable like a 94A, but they turn more like an 88/90A to me.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

« Reply #5262 on: April 05, 2022, 11:01:46 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback! Will definitely be purchasing some hard bushings after I try these on loose as intended

-

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5263 on: April 05, 2022, 11:47:04 AM »
Well, I cant exactly explain why, I have some 55 classics that are in perfectly good shape, but I just got suckered into some 66 AF1s with the Orange/Blue baseplate because I think they'll look pretty dang cute with the new Transportation Unit "Breathe" board in the Supertanker shape that I plan to order a couple of next week when they drop.

Also that Orange rings shirt is sick. So is that new sticker of the guy carrying the truck. Also some hard bushings.
yeah yeahwhatever.
ok thanks

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5264 on: April 05, 2022, 12:28:13 PM »
As someone who thought they liked medium tightness, i didn’t like the hards on my classics. felt way to different. that being said, i switched back to my normal bushings, except much looser, and i love it now. go figure.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5265 on: April 06, 2022, 09:02:19 AM »
All the new trucks are up on the Ace web store. Lows, 60s, new colors etc. So will likely be showing up in local US stores any day now...

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5266 on: April 06, 2022, 09:26:20 AM »
All the new trucks are up on the Ace web store. Lows, 60s, new colors etc. So will likely be showing up in local US stores any day now...

Hoping a lot of the soft goods do too. I was hyped on the prospect of a ACE burnt orange rings shirt, but I just got an email to let me know it was sold out after I ordered it yesterday. dangit. Gotta find it online in the coming weeks.
ok thanks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5267 on: April 06, 2022, 09:29:30 AM »
Tempted to place an order but I asked the local to hold some 60s for me. I have to stop shopping online so much...

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5268 on: April 06, 2022, 09:34:29 AM »
Ace of supporting shops, going for that DTC money

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5269 on: April 06, 2022, 09:39:30 AM »
Yeah I was surprised they put them up before shops had a chance to get their orders.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5270 on: April 06, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »
Does Ace beat every other truck company in the apparel game?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5271 on: April 06, 2022, 10:33:34 AM »

Those are looking very nice indeed. Haven’t been a big fan of many of their past clothes but these I could cop if they ever find their way to Finland.

IpathCats

« Reply #5272 on: April 06, 2022, 10:34:41 AM »

Really not saying much, truck company apparel is usually corny as fuck. Ace does it well.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #5273 on: April 06, 2022, 11:25:12 AM »
Not only is Ace apparel the dopest, look at this fucking truck

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5274 on: April 06, 2022, 12:43:38 PM »

I'm getting a truck-boner just looking at it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5275 on: April 06, 2022, 01:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Had boner, made purchase.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5276 on: April 06, 2022, 01:07:31 PM »
Ace of supporting shops, going for that DTC money

Ill cut some companies a lot of slack right now. They have a lot of money out there in production that has been not generating anything for them because of supply chain issues. They have paychecks to cut. I think they just moved again too from Westminster to Los Al and, interestingly, my online order confirmation email came from a "Shimrit" who I can only imagine is Shimrit from the 411/Giant days and I had no idea she was doing this in skating. good stuff.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:19:06 PM by bigdave »
ok thanks

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #5277 on: April 06, 2022, 01:44:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have some 44s on ice but I supposed I should flip them on eBay and grab a pair of these.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Paul_Glider Skateboards

« Reply #5278 on: April 06, 2022, 07:59:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Really not saying much, truck company apparel is usually corny as fuck. Ace does it well.

Excited for more spanky / ace merch

-

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5279 on: April 06, 2022, 08:32:28 PM »
id dare say that venture has the least corny truck merch
classic 90s vibes from the awake shirts
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo