Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747884 times)

Ronnie Rodriguez

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5310 on: April 14, 2022, 04:55:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A Low truck with risers will not equate to a high truck without. It will still be a different feeling turn and a possibly more stable quicker turn. Could suit some people. I presume the Lows are lighter also?
[close]

Correct.
[close]

Quicker? How so? Genuinely curious I'd think every aspect of a low would be slower, less deep, even with a riser.

I would think a low truck has lower bushings and thus less resistance and less force pushing it back to center. Other factors aside, it's going to compress and bottom out more quickly.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5311 on: April 14, 2022, 06:41:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A Low truck with risers will not equate to a high truck without. It will still be a different feeling turn and a possibly more stable quicker turn. Could suit some people. I presume the Lows are lighter also?
[close]

Correct.
[close]

Quicker? How so? Genuinely curious I'd think every aspect of a low would be slower, less deep, even with a riser.

Same way Thunders have a quicker initial turn than indys.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5312 on: April 15, 2022, 01:08:49 PM »
Some props here for Ace/Mesa customer service. I placed an order with a couple of sets of hardware and they left one out. Shot them a quick email and said it was totally fine just to refund that (shipping hardware feels dumb cost-wise) instead the offered to resend it and said they’d send some extra stuff. Sure did. I think this is like $20+ retail. Thanks Ace/Mesa!!!!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 02:01:46 PM by bigdave »
ok thanks

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #5313 on: April 16, 2022, 10:09:02 AM »
Few questions:

Ace are no light trucks - do you really feel the weight difference to let’s say thunder hollows or venture v hollows? How? Can you pop less high?

Are hollow ace coming anytime soon?

Can ace with its original bushings be tightened til if feels   Kind of similar to Venture trucks (just how they come) from the wobbelyness? I don’t like it too lose.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:54:36 AM by SlapMcKracken »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5314 on: April 16, 2022, 10:17:34 AM »
Few questions:

Ace are no light trucks - do you really feel the weight difference to let’s say thunder hollows or venture v hollows? How? Can you pop less high?

Can ace with its original bushings be tightened til if feels   Kind of similar to Venture trucks (just how they come) from the wobbelyness?

To me, ace feel heavier in the hand, lighter on the board, in regards to the effort that it takes to pop, compared to venture/thunder. If I want to ollie higher, a venture or thunder works better for me, but the effort to do so, is more deliberate. If any of that makes sense.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5315 on: April 16, 2022, 11:03:49 AM »
Few questions:

Can ace with its original bushings be tightened til if feels   Kind of similar to Venture trucks (just how they come) from the wobbelyness? I don’t like it too lose.

You just have to get used to them. There’s no statistics or magic at play here. Some people will like the way they pop, and some will just never come around to it.

It sounds like hollow Aces are coming. The new Low baseplates have hollow kingpins.

Get the hard bushings if you need to have medium/tight trucks. You’d have to crank the regular bushings into oblivion to get Aces to feel like Ventures.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #5316 on: April 16, 2022, 11:39:56 AM »
Ok, i see.

I think ventures somehow are not for me. I’ll ride them a bit longer and then I’ll decide.

I was skating thunder hollows before and before them old Royals from 2012. Both felt somehow better to me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5317 on: April 16, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Few questions:

[close]

You just have to get used to them. There’s no statistics or magic at play here. Some people will like the way they pop, and some will just never come around to it.

It sounds like hollow Aces are coming. The new Low baseplates have hollow kingpins.

Get the hard bushings if you need to have medium/tight trucks. You’d have to crank the regular bushings into oblivion to get Aces to feel like Ventures.

‘No statistics or magic at play’ : truuuuuuue.

I’m starting to believe that just about anything will work, for damn near whomever, it’s adjusting to it. Ace has a really unique turn, that is excellent.

For mckracken: for me, I need to pop from the tips of the nose/tail, with ventures, compared to some other trucks. I’m very used to this, so I like it. Not sure what hasn’t been working for you. Hopefully you find something that works!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5318 on: April 16, 2022, 03:35:31 PM »
There’s a point if you’re asking too many questions, the only answer is Indy….

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5319 on: April 16, 2022, 05:00:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Few questions:

Can ace with its original bushings be tightened til if feels   Kind of similar to Venture trucks (just how they come) from the wobbelyness?
[close]

To me, ace feel heavier in the hand, lighter on the board, in regards to the effort that it takes to pop

Couldn't agree more. I never, at any point, felt that the heft of the Ace was in any was hindering my pop. I'm not on Ace any longer, but the Classics I had really did have a sort of effortless pop. I have short legs and I prefer a shorter wheelbase, and they worked perfectly for this. Anyone thinking about getting Ace Trucks should just buy them already.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5320 on: April 16, 2022, 05:57:48 PM »

Emphatic yes. Indy the default, unless one has a specific reason otherwise.

@manysnakes are you back on Indys?
 I was pretty into ace classics, from stage 1, and felt like they improved subsequently (well the first generation looked the best), but couldn’t really dial in a setup that felt right for my slow ass flatground shit. Always loved the turn tho. I bought the af-1s, right when they came out, and didn’t give them more than a few sessions before prematurely deciding I didn’t like them. With a stiffer pivot cup, I could see the af-1s being my indy, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 06:09:05 PM by Ok »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5321 on: April 16, 2022, 06:17:22 PM »
Anyone worked out a quick fix for the looser/softer pivots? I've always wondered what felt 'off' about my AF1s and now realising it may be the pivots now that its mentioned.

My stock pivots blew out nearly instantly (broke them in only doing slappies) and I'm now running the classic Ace riptides, which leaves a lot of room for the pivot to wobble around in. I've got some stock classic pivots sitting around, worth a try? Few Indy plates laying around too.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #5322 on: April 16, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Few questions:

[close]

[close]

I’m starting to believe that just about anything will work, for damn near whomever, it’s adjusting to it. Ace has a really unique turn, that is excellent.

For mckracken: for me, I need to pop from the tips of the nose/tail, with ventures, compared to some other trucks. I’m very used to this, so I like it. Not sure what hasn’t been working for you. Hopefully you find something that works!

Somehow my pop is strange on them. Maybe it’s really that  the tail is too short for them. Magenta big plant 8.0
14“ wb 8“ and I think the tail is around 6.3

I was riding decks with short tails before, but on thunders and royals

I somehow struggle more with manuals on them. Not nose mannies, but normal ones.

I‘m really thinking about trying titanium indys. I have to admit that I somehow feel like indies are somehow boring compared to ace and this is holding me back ..

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5323 on: April 16, 2022, 06:59:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Few questions:

[close]

[close]

[close]

Somehow my pop is strange on them. Maybe it’s really that  the tail is too short for them. Magenta big plant 8.0
14“ wb 8“ and I think the tail is around 6.3

I was riding decks with short tails before, but on thunders and royals

I somehow struggle more with manuals on them. Not nose mannies, but normal ones.

Expand Quote
[close]

I‘m really thinking about trying titanium indys. I have to admit that I somehow feel like indies are somehow boring compared to ace and this is holding me back ..

Save yourself a bit of coin, Indy Forged Hollows have all the performance for minimally more weight. I got a pair of Indy Tis as a gift and I can't tell much of a difference...

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5324 on: April 16, 2022, 07:14:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Emphatic yes. Indy the default, unless one has a specific reason otherwise.

@manysnakes are you back on Indys?

I had the Classics loved them and skated them to death, but when I realized that I bent the hanger, I put in a warranty claim and got the AF1 44s as a replacement. In the meantime, I put on some 144 Standards I had knocking around, and after failing to find fault with them, I ended up sitting on the Ace until I sold them on eBay this week after having a "too much skate shit" crisis.

So yeah, I've been on Indy more or less entirely for the last year.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5325 on: April 18, 2022, 01:07:02 PM »
Anyone got hands on the 60s yet?

I know the axle is 8.75" but wondering what the hangers come in at... Presuming close to 159/ 151/ 6.1s etc...

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5326 on: April 18, 2022, 03:20:41 PM »

I know the axle is 8.75" but wondering what the hangers come in at... Presuming close to 159/ 151/ 6.1s etc...

Wondering the same thing because my 9" AF1 66s as well as the 55 classics are only 159 or at most 160 mm

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5327 on: April 18, 2022, 03:36:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wondering the same thing because my 9" AF1 66s as well as the 55 classics are only 159 or at most 160 mm

I’ve felt like my classic 55s were similar to 159s, but haven’t had both at the same time

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5328 on: April 18, 2022, 08:33:48 PM »
Anyone run af1 55s on an 8.25? I really want that rizzo penny graphic

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5329 on: April 18, 2022, 08:54:04 PM »

I haven’t. But I have run 149s, on 8.25. That’s arguably the most common ratio of the last 10 years. Meaning you should be good

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5330 on: April 19, 2022, 04:43:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven’t. But I have run 149s, on 8.25. That’s arguably the most common ratio of the last 10 years. Meaning you should be good

8.5 trucks with +/- 8.25 board is the dream, no problem there and sure you'll enjoy it. I would be more concerned with the short Quasi tail and ace.

Another thing is the normal quasi 8.25 tapers to about 8.1 at the back (PStix shii), but had 149 on my quasi and it was fire.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5331 on: April 20, 2022, 10:47:40 AM »
What wheelbase do you prefer with Aces? I've tried all between 14 and 14.75 except 14.5. and tend to like wider wheelbase bc I feel like my setup weights a ton if I pair short wb with Aces.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5332 on: April 20, 2022, 11:57:36 AM »
What wheelbase do you prefer with Aces? I've tried all between 14 and 14.75 except 14.5. and tend to like wider wheelbase bc I feel like my setup weights a ton if I pair short wb with Aces.

14.3x

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #5333 on: April 20, 2022, 03:02:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

14.3x

This. 14.38 appears to be the sweet spot. Which is Unfortunate because 8.75x14.38 is kinda rare.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5334 on: April 20, 2022, 06:28:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

14.3x
[close]

This. 14.38 appears to be the sweet spot. Which is Unfortunate because 8.75x14.38 is kinda rare.
polars 8.75 popsicle is listed with a 14.375 wb
theres at least one every drop
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5335 on: April 20, 2022, 07:51:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

14.3x
[close]

[close]

Great call. Polar team seems to be majority indy/ace, might be something to that

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5336 on: April 20, 2022, 08:02:13 PM »
I prefer 14.38”wb on Aces. It’s super weird because I’m like 5”5 so it should be too long for me, but isn’t. For reference I normally skate sub 14” on every other truck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5337 on: April 20, 2022, 10:01:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

14.3x
[close]

[close]

I've eye'd that board a few times but the 32.375" length keeps me from trying it out.

Check out Uma Landsleds if 32"+ length doesn't bug you, they have one: https://www.uma-landsleds.com/collections/boards/products/uma-undercurrent-cody-8-75

Tricky thing is getting shorter noses (and/or tails) with 14.3x" wb otherwise you get 32"+ decks and I prefer 31.75" <-> 31.8.75"range

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5338 on: April 21, 2022, 11:59:35 AM »
My guess this has been asked before, but can you mix and match AF1 Baseplates w/ Classic hangers?
ok thanks

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #5339 on: April 21, 2022, 12:04:19 PM »
I prefer 14.38”wb on Aces. It’s super weird because I’m like 5”5 so it should be too long for me, but isn’t. For reference I normally skate sub 14” on every other truck.

Ace brings the WB in so much it's effectively like riding Indy's on a 14.12 WB deck. Same here, 5'5" and I love Aces on longer WB for this reason. Wish they were lighter but they're amazing for slappys.