Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739407 times)

somefucker

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5430 on: May 16, 2022, 10:28:42 AM »
I've not ridden Ace yet (other than briefly on friends" set ups), but based on what I know about their geometry and what I've experienced, I'm gonna call that bogus. They're definitely not as stable on center as Indy or Venture.

solid review, thanks

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5431 on: May 16, 2022, 10:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
So y'all are saying Ace are more stable on center?
[close]

I've not ridden Ace yet (other than briefly on friends" set ups), but based on what I know about their geometry and what I've experienced, I'm gonna call that bogus. They're definitely not as stable on center as Indy or Venture.

I was actually surprised when I bought my aces that they did feel surprisingly stable on center. Maybe not *better* than Indy and definitely not venture, but it also depends on your set up. My Indy’s are really loose and definitely not as stable at center.

My aces are still basically new so maybe as the bushings wear in it’ll get less stable.

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #5432 on: May 16, 2022, 11:10:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was actually surprised when I bought my aces that they did feel surprisingly stable on center. Maybe not *better* than Indy and definitely not venture, but it also depends on your set up. My Indy’s are really loose and definitely not as stable at center.

My aces are still basically new so maybe as the bushings wear in it’ll get less stable.

2 years into my classic and my bushings have felt consistent.

Also loose indys vs ace stability doesnt compare, or else I would still be skating indys.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5433 on: May 16, 2022, 11:19:32 AM »
Its a strange but one thing I notice when jumping back and fore between Indy and Ace was obviously Ace turn quicker and deeper but if you aren't turning (ie. "on center"), when bombing a hill or generally hauling, they feel more stable for sure. I would trust a loose Ace over a loose Indy on a sketchy hill bomb or giant transition. Might have something to do with being lower. Either way, they are never going to be as stable as a Thunder or a Venture.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #5434 on: May 16, 2022, 11:47:42 AM »
I think what you guys mean as "stable at the center" is that with ACEs, since they turn so much due to the geometry, you can have them quite tight and they still turn. Meanwhile with Ventures if you want them to turn you gotta loose the shit out of them and then they get way more wobbly than ACEs would to achieve the same turning radius.
Indy's the same but to a lesser degree.

I was riding Indy's on a mid tightness and I could turn what I needed, with Venture's I'm close to wobbly trucks to get a close turn. If I had ACEs on my current Venture tightness I would probably eat shit first push...  ;D

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5435 on: May 16, 2022, 11:55:37 AM »
I've never ridden a truly loose pair of Indys but to me Ace are stable insofar as I know exactly what they are going to do. I can have just my front foot on the board in the middle of big push, give my ankle a wiggle to tip the board back and forth and feel 100% in control.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5436 on: May 16, 2022, 12:32:20 PM »
I used to ride wobbly loose indys. Bones medium bushing in them and the kingpin and bolt got so ground down that I couldn’t change the tightness. Ironically it was my best skating I did on that setup and the most fun. Riding aces I don’t run them as loose but I still get the same turn if not better and a much more stable experience. Been enjoying aces recently more than ventures. I think with ventures they are stiffer and more stable but without the absorption of the ace turn.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5437 on: May 16, 2022, 12:32:43 PM »
I commonly described aces as the opposite of thunder, stable on the top end of the turn/at neutral but the bottom end….you hook. 

I just started skating the lows which are a bit different but coming off ventures, it felt like there was minimal neutral ie, if you’re setting up, you’re on an edge. 

In comparison to an Indy which is a very predictable turning radius which is some stability but not neutral.  Venture is super neutral until you engage, then it’s just leaning….

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5438 on: May 16, 2022, 12:45:25 PM »
I used to ride wobbly loose indys. Bones medium bushing in them and the kingpin and bolt got so ground down that I couldn’t change the tightness. Ironically it was my best skating I did on that setup and the most fun. Riding aces I don’t run them as loose but I still get the same turn if not better and a much more stable experience. Been enjoying aces recently more than ventures. I think with ventures they are stiffer and more stable but without the absorption of the ace turn.

Are you on classics or af1s? Picking up some Ace after skating super loose Indys

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5439 on: May 16, 2022, 12:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you on classics or af1s? Picking up some Ace after skating super loose Indys

I have skated both, I prefer the feel of AF1. Don't know why but classics always have felt more squirrelly to me. I did do my. best slappy ever though on classics but I don't really feel like the grind is that different between the two.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5440 on: May 16, 2022, 02:25:57 PM »
I rode the Classics a while back and remember if I landed off center so as to make the truck initiate a turn then the board realllllly did turn instead of wiggle into a straight line. Or if I were rolling fakie/nollie towards a trick where you turn in a bit sometimes it was challenging to get the timing right. When I mean on center I mean that if I want to go straight or wiggle away from something the board snaps to stability there. I think this is something I associate more with Venture.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #5441 on: May 16, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
On the debate about Ace or Indy being more stable on center, having ridden both, I can report that there is only one true answer: Theeve.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #5442 on: May 16, 2022, 05:44:39 PM »
Let’s try something.

I want to compare the feeling of turn of a truck to the nose of a board. As if you were standing on a 2x4 balanced on the nose of a board.

For me, a medium to tight Indy feels like the first one. Predicable, round, basic.

A loose Indy feels a bit like #2, very tippy into a deep turn (and wheel bite)

For my, Aces feel closer to a #3, a bit ‘flatter’ or ‘stable’ for the first part of the turn, but then tapers off deep quickly.

Does that make sense?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5443 on: May 16, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »

I would be more thinking it would be down to bushings and ankle strength, but everyone has their opinions.

Bushings can make or break a deal with regard to how a truck works.  Mushy (or super soft) bushings just feel off, especially if you are not used to them, but more stable (eg harder) bushings will make any truck feel more stable, but it is also down to how much they are done up or how worn in they are too.

Ankle strength comes in to it when I see some people with completely loosey goosey / almost no bushings and still so balanced, whereas others might not even be able to skate medium loose trucks if they are not used to it.

Certain trucks are a lot easier to jump straight on and skate, but once bushings are worn in nicely, more often than not they will make for a more stable ride anyway, when compared to brand new first session, as I have found with stock bushings on both Ace trucks, Indy, Thunder and Venture, as well as others saying similar things about other brands of trucks too.

People who set up fresh trucks, then try to skate as usual right away often have more issues than if they took it easy and tried to wear in the bushings over a session or two, just rolling around and not going too big / too hard too soon.  I have had to swap out / change over a number of bushings from people who just didn't give any wear in time and the bushings almost always tend to blow out, but most can still be recycled back into other setups and still work well enough.

On the debate about Ace or Indy being more stable on center, having ridden both, I can report that there is only one true answer: Theeve.

Stock bushings in those trucks are a lot harder than most, so it is only natural that they don't give as much right from go, as per a few sets I have experienced and happily passed on to others.  Decent trucks, but just not what I wanted, but for those who are riding them and prefer a tighter truck, they are perfect.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #5444 on: May 17, 2022, 06:23:56 AM »
Did some slappies for the first time over the weekend on the new new AF1's and already ripped a pivot cup. I have extra AF1 pivot cups but if this is gonna happen every time I slappy, that's my major complaint thus far on these.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5445 on: May 17, 2022, 06:35:32 AM »
Did some slappies for the first time over the weekend on the new new AF1's and already ripped a pivot cup. I have extra AF1 pivot cups but if this is gonna happen every time I slappy, that's my major complaint thus far on these.

When did you get them? There were lots of pivot cup problems when they first released them. They send you new ones for free if you hit them up.

logjammin

« Reply #5446 on: May 17, 2022, 07:25:08 AM »
Mine are the latest versions for sure.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #5447 on: May 17, 2022, 07:41:36 AM »
I got a hold of a set of the Riptide AF-1 cups and they're significantly harder than the stock cups. I still don't think AF-1s are for me, but they do make them feel more stable at center ala the classics.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #5448 on: May 17, 2022, 08:11:46 AM »
woah i had no idea that the pivot cup thing happened for other peeps, thought i was just bashing my nose into curbs too much

i've never had a pivot cup disintegrate on me like this before

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
« Reply #5449 on: May 17, 2022, 09:05:32 AM »
Jack O’Grady officially on Ace

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5450 on: May 17, 2022, 09:56:39 AM »
Jack O’Grady officially on Ace

I’ve been wondering when they’d announce it. He’s been skating aces for the last little bit I’ve noticed. Good move for sure

logjammin

« Reply #5451 on: May 17, 2022, 11:55:31 AM »
I got a hold of a set of the Riptide AF-1 cups and they're significantly harder than the stock cups. I still don't think AF-1s are for me, but they do make them feel more stable at center ala the classics.

We must be exclusive. I emailed Tracey about when they'd hit the market and they're having trouble getting the mold right, so they're sending me a set to test for them 8)

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #5452 on: May 17, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We must be exclusive. I emailed Tracey about when they'd hit the market and they're having trouble getting the mold right, so they're sending me a set to test for them 8)

I think you'll like them. I had the same issue with blowouts from slappies and these are much more durable.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5453 on: May 17, 2022, 10:12:39 PM »
Are Classics worth stocking up on? I don’t know if it’s just the shops that I’m around/look at online but it seems like AF1s are definitely the go to choice for shops now. Has Ace ever confirmed that the Classics will still be around for a long time to come?

Been trying to make my AF1s feel good but it just isn’t working. Back to Classic 44s and I want to make sure I can keep skating them.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5454 on: May 17, 2022, 11:20:44 PM »
I’m piss that the pivot cup on my 44” AF1’s ripped at the top edge. It also slightly warped the pivot hole of that baseplate. Chewed the top front truck bushing too. Ended up replacing the top bushing for the 94A Hard. Kept the stock bottom barrel. Supringly made the truck more stable and responsive and still kept the surfy feel. I feel like the stock tops were too soft. The replacement 94A Hard bushings didn’t need breaking in but stabilize the trucks instead.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5455 on: May 18, 2022, 01:22:28 AM »
Are Classics worth stocking up on? I don’t know if it’s just the shops that I’m around/look at online but it seems like AF1s are definitely the go to choice for shops now. Has Ace ever confirmed that the Classics will still be around for a long time to come?

Been trying to make my AF1s feel good but it just isn’t working. Back to Classic 44s and I want to make sure I can keep skating them.

Ace always said the classics won't go away, my local on the other hand said they're not getting any more classics. Might be their own choice though.

Pretty sure a lot of ace team riders are staying on classics so I think it's unlikely.

logjammin

« Reply #5456 on: May 18, 2022, 07:32:05 AM »
I’m piss that the pivot cup on my 44” AF1’s ripped at the top edge. It also slightly warped the pivot hole of that baseplate. Chewed the top front truck bushing too. Ended up replacing the top bushing for the 94A Hard. Kept the stock bottom barrel. Supringly made the truck more stable and responsive and still kept the surfy feel. I feel like the stock tops were too soft. The replacement 94A Hard bushings didn’t need breaking in but stabilize the trucks instead.

Yeah man, I noticed my pivot cavity is now warped due to the same thing happening. So now I think any pivot cup I put in there will rip. Kinda having some truck madness again and debating going back to Indy for the inverted forged plates.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5457 on: May 18, 2022, 10:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace always said the classics won't go away, my local on the other hand said they're not getting any more classics. Might be their own choice though.

Pretty sure a lot of ace team riders are staying on classics so I think it's unlikely.

Classics are everywhere online for dirt cheap. I bet Ace is being honest but also they just liquidated a shitton of Classics and will order more from China commiserate with the demand.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5458 on: May 20, 2022, 02:25:52 AM »
Let’s try something.

I want to compare the feeling of turn of a truck to the nose of a board. As if you were standing on a 2x4 balanced on the nose of a board.

Totally agree with this one. One of my friends rides really loose Indies and his board feels like I'm constantly balancing on a rail. Ace trucks are the only trucks that I can ride fairly loose-ish because of the stable center :)

For me, a medium to tight Indy feels like the first one. Predicable, round, basic.

For my, Aces feel closer to a #3, a bit ‘flatter’ or ‘stable’ for the first part of the turn, but then tapers off deep quickly.

Does that make sense?

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5459 on: May 20, 2022, 07:39:47 AM »
And which board are ventures  ???

Expand Quote
Let’s try something.

Totally agree with this one. One of my friends rides really loose Indies and his board feels like I'm constantly balancing on a rail. Ace trucks are the only trucks that I can ride fairly loose-ish because of the stable center :)

Does that make sense?
[close]