Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747502 times)

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5610 on: July 07, 2022, 06:18:23 AM »

IpathCats

« Reply #5611 on: July 07, 2022, 07:06:36 AM »
Currently on Indy cast hollows and the only truck I haven't given too much time to in my madness are AF1. I had the early ones with exploding pivot cups and was mostly riding Thunders and didn't give them a chance. With friends trying and mostly liking them I was curious mostly about the shorter height at the same Indy WB without having the mid inverted kingpins or FH extending the WB.

Is there really major differences if I ride my trucks medium to medium tight? Anything positive I'd really notice?

wb is smaller than indys, turn is different, even running them med-medtight you would probably feel a little more surfy, the on center feeling is much different on ace compared to indy especially the AF1, popfeel would be lighter/quicker. All of these things are subjective though, they may or may not be positive differences for you.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5612 on: July 07, 2022, 07:42:35 AM »
Are they more stable on center? The WB difference looks fairly minuscule so I was more interested/worried about the height difference. I found the Royals were possibly a bit too light feeling.

bumpnrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5613 on: July 07, 2022, 08:37:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone else find the Af1s clumsier than classics? It's kind of hard to explain but after riding af1s for over a year and changing back to classics I find classics feeling more responsive, stable and overall a more nimble feeling truck.
[close]

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the classics have a slightly shorter wb than the af1s so that would be contributing to the feeling of being more nimble. its been a few years since i've ridden classics, but the af1 33s i've recently gotten have felt pretty responsive and stable, if not more stable than classics imo. popping switch and fakie didn't feel squirrelly. got some switch flips in, did a nollie bs flip and a rick flip on the 2nd session with the af1s lol

The above bold is accurate. Classics have a shorter relative wheelbase than AF1, which have a shorter relative wheelbase than standard Indys.

So Classic < AF1 < Indy standard. These were compared with 33s and 139s.

IpathCats

« Reply #5614 on: July 07, 2022, 11:13:22 AM »
Are they more stable on center? The WB difference looks fairly minuscule so I was more interested/worried about the height difference. I found the Royals were possibly a bit too light feeling.

I would say so, most people agree they are too. But im not sure how much that would really come into play if youre trucks are med-tight

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5615 on: July 07, 2022, 11:35:59 AM »
Most people step on my board and find it med loose to loose so I guess its perspective.

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5616 on: July 07, 2022, 02:11:52 PM »
Most people step on my board and find it med loose to loose so I guess its perspective.

I think Ace work great when tightened down just a tad. When I rode indy's i liked the nut looser than flush, however I've found myself tightening my aces down (couple threads showing).

This isn't because they are too squirrely, It's just that the geometry allows for best of both worlds - super stable center when tight but more turn than you'd get from another brand's "loose"

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5617 on: July 07, 2022, 06:40:47 PM »

having made the switch earlier this year, i can say they are for sure more stable. the classics feel squirley. On the af-1 i have a really stable pop

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #5618 on: July 07, 2022, 08:04:15 PM »
Continuing with the Indy cast vs. AF1, how would you compare the pinch? Any noticeable differences?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #5619 on: July 07, 2022, 10:00:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think Ace work great when tightened down just a tad. When I rode indy's i liked the nut looser than flush, however I've found myself tightening my aces down (couple threads showing).

This isn't because they are too squirrely, It's just that the geometry allows for best of both worlds - super stable center when tight but more turn than you'd get from another brand's "loose"

I feel exactly the same. I used to run my classics dummy loose for my slappy setup and found that tightening them a bit didn't have any adverse effects on my skating and gave me more stability.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5620 on: July 08, 2022, 03:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone else find the Af1s clumsier than classics? It's kind of hard to explain but after riding af1s for over a year and changing back to classics I find classics feeling more responsive, stable and overall a more nimble feeling truck.
[close]

Not sure about the responsiveness of the turn, but they definitely make the setup feel a lot heavier

I've also made the switch back to 44 classics. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my AF1s but there is just something about that soft metal and 8.35 wide truck gets me going.

I also feel like they are much more responsive it's hard to describe.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5621 on: July 08, 2022, 09:19:42 AM »
Expand Quote
I found out that Ace makes a size 66 and I am excited to try them on one of those 8.75 anti heros. 

Has anybody found that the axles are bending on their ace trucks?
[close]

Mine have looked a bit bent since the day I got them, and even in that picture above they all look a little bent. Because of that I'm always looking if my axles have been bent more, but in reality they've just always looked the same.

Ace trucks have a curve built into them on purpose... Unless you're talking about something else.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

IpathCats

« Reply #5622 on: July 08, 2022, 10:59:19 AM »
Continuing with the Indy cast vs. AF1, how would you compare the pinch? Any noticeable differences?

Idk about cast, but i know forged work better for crooks than aces for me.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5623 on: July 08, 2022, 11:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I found out that Ace makes a size 66 and I am excited to try them on one of those 8.75 anti heros. 

[close]

Mine have looked a bit bent since the day I got them, and even in that picture above they all look a little bent. Because of that I'm always looking if my axles have been bent more, but in reality they've just always looked the same.
[close]

Ace trucks have a curve built into them on purpose... Unless you're talking about something else.

Ace used to have the "rocker" (curved) hanger but scrapped it. AF1's and classics are straight hangers now.

trip35

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5624 on: July 09, 2022, 08:11:44 AM »
For those of you that are getting loud clicking caused by the washers not fitting snugly on the kingpin, here's an easy fix. Strip the trucks down and wrap some scotch tape around the base of the kingpin, just enough so that the bottom washer can still slide down into position with no play. Put the bottom bushing and hanger back on, then get some teflon tape (must be the thin PTFE tape) and wrap it tightly around the kingpin about 2-3 times, enough to fill the threads. Make sure that you leave the top 5mm or so with no tape so that the nylock and most of the nut still engages directly with the metal of the kingpin. Then slide the top bushing over it and cut another piece of teflon tape around 2 inches long, and wrap it around the kingpin just above the bushing, but scrunched down so that it thickens up and still leaves plenty of threads clear at the top. You just want it to completely fill up the play in the top washer. Put the washer back on, making sure it beds down fully against the top bushing, then replace the nut, and you're done. Works great on my Ace classics, wish I'd thought of this ages ago.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5625 on: July 09, 2022, 03:26:09 PM »
For those of you that are getting loud clicking caused by the washers not fitting snugly on the kingpin, here's an easy fix. Strip the trucks down and wrap some scotch tape around the base of the kingpin, just enough so that the bottom washer can still slide down into position with no play. Put the bottom bushing and hanger back on, then get some teflon tape (must be the thin PTFE tape) and wrap it tightly around the kingpin about 2-3 times, enough to fill the threads. Make sure that you leave the top 5mm or so with no tape so that the nylock and most of the nut still engages directly with the metal of the kingpin. Then slide the top bushing over it and cut another piece of teflon tape around 2 inches long, and wrap it around the kingpin just above the bushing, but scrunched down so that it thickens up and still leaves plenty of threads clear at the top. You just want it to completely fill up the play in the top washer. Put the washer back on, making sure it beds down fully against the top bushing, then replace the nut, and you're done. Works great on my Ace classics, wish I'd thought of this ages ago.
My ADD brain stopped reading two sentences after this point. I will just take the clicking.

trip35

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5626 on: July 09, 2022, 04:12:28 PM »
My ADD brain stopped reading two sentences after this point. I will just take the clicking.
I was pretty sure that was how it was going to go down. But for every ADD brain that can't get through the wall of text there'll be another ADD brain that can't deal with the clicking.

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5627 on: July 09, 2022, 06:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I was pretty sure that was how it was going to go down. But for every ADD brain that can't get through the wall of text there'll be another ADD brain that can't deal with the clicking.

I picked up a pair of aces recently. I had always heard about the clicking. Skated em for about a week and thought I was in the clear. But sure enough it began happening out of nowhere and drove me absolutely nuts. Two days later, it disappeared just as mysteriously as it started.

So hang in there. It’s only temporary.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5628 on: July 09, 2022, 08:41:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ace used to have the "rocker" (curved) hanger but scrapped it. AF1's and classics are straight hangers now.

Funny as I was just talking about this with someone yesterday, who brought up the rocker hanger, which was designed to keep you grinding more towards the wheels, rather than all over the hanger, but I know others had said that was only because the first Ace trucks would bend a whole lot more.

In comparing some AF1 and a brand new set of Ace Classics, there is ever so slightly a tiny rocker motion to them, but so minimal it is hardly noticed unless you hold the truck on a straight metal ruler or something like I did.

Either way, any truck should not bend, but many do, either just in the end axles or some through the whole hanger.  Put them on something straight edged and if they are bent, have a chat to the shop you got them from, as that is covered under warranty.

Ace have a pretty good warranty program, as per the link I put up not too long ago.

https://www.acetrucks.com/contact

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5629 on: July 10, 2022, 11:24:03 AM »
Am I the only one that hasn’t had any clicking on my af1s? Seems like everyone has it. Am I doing something wrong?

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #5630 on: July 10, 2022, 11:56:59 AM »
Am I the only one that hasn’t had any clicking on my af1s? Seems like everyone has it. Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, it's part of breaking in the trucks. They must be defect.  ;) Not really, good for you if they don't.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5631 on: July 10, 2022, 01:13:17 PM »
I always think that the complaints about QC here are overblown, but I changed out the bottom washers to an aftermarket sleeved variety before I ever skated the trucks and I got the clicking after a session or two. It went away after about a week.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #5632 on: July 11, 2022, 08:55:53 AM »
I had one pair of AF1s that started clicking one day, it was gone in 20 minutes and never came back ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5633 on: July 11, 2022, 12:31:14 PM »
If I were a truck company I would just make trucks that didn't click...

That being said, my AF1s did stop clicking eventually.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5634 on: July 19, 2022, 05:05:57 PM »
Out of nowhere, the clicking has returned today.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Landmine

« Reply #5635 on: July 19, 2022, 05:50:21 PM »
My top bushing has started to bulge out from under the washer the last couple sessions, just when they started to feel really nice.  I've got the nut flush but I also weigh 210 so maybe I'm the issue here.  I'm sure someone has had this happen and found a solution, but I don't want to scroll through ~180 pages looking for it  :-[

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5636 on: July 19, 2022, 07:22:48 PM »
My top bushing has started to bulge out from under the washer the last couple sessions, just when they started to feel really nice.  I've got the nut flush but I also weigh 210 so maybe I'm the issue here.  I'm sure someone has had this happen and found a solution, but I don't want to scroll through ~180 pages looking for it  :-[
Flat washer if you don’t mind the slightly surfier feel (why not, you’re already on Aces, after all so you’re clearly not “turning averse”) or alternately, find a couple stock Indy top washers, as they tend to be a little wider.
The latter did the trick for me, so I never did have to resort to that flat washer.
Others here have said “fukk a top washer altogether” and that solved the problem in a manner of speaking.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

chris.

« Reply #5637 on: July 20, 2022, 04:04:28 AM »
Just keep riding em! I All of my classics (3 sets) have developed a ring around the top bushing just under the washer.  My main set of 55s (3 years old, about 2 years of riding, and about 1 year of slappies) ride straight and feel amazing but have ugly bushings and even a little pivot cup bulging (gasp!)

Wabi sabi, ya know? If they don't feel good that's one thing, but my experience has always been Ace bushings/cups may get a little wonky looking but will skate just fine.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 11:55:18 AM by chris. »

Landmine

« Reply #5638 on: July 20, 2022, 06:29:13 AM »
These are good points.  I split too many Indy bushings, with the trucks ending up feeling shitty, so I guess my mind immediately went to that.

Fuggit

Genericwhitemale

« Reply #5639 on: July 20, 2022, 11:47:40 PM »
Does anyone else have an issue with their pair where the tool for the kingpin can easily pop onto the nut for one truck and very difficult for the other?