Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747593 times)

Landmine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 184
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5640 on: July 21, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »
Does anyone else have an issue with their pair where the tool for the kingpin can easily pop onto the nut for one truck and very difficult for the other?

YES

It's so weird

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5641 on: July 21, 2022, 03:54:07 PM »
ok, question needs opinions:

i ride ventures rn but considered aces, since i want a lower truck that doesn't stretch out wheelbase that much. i'm ok with a truck turning more squirrely, i kind of miss that. should i try classics or af-1s?

classics are more like the dims i'm after, but af-1s would probably be less jarring to switch to, since people say they feel more "stable".

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5642 on: July 21, 2022, 04:44:09 PM »

i ride ventures rn but considered aces, since i want a lower truck that doesn't stretch out wheelbase that much. i'm ok with a truck turning more squirrely, i kind of miss that. should i try classics or af-1s?

classics are more like the dims i'm after, but af-1s would probably be less jarring to switch to, since people say they feel more "stable".

What are the dims you're after? Because classics and AF1 come in pretty much the same sizes.
As an example, the 7.75 AF1 has the exact same hanger width as the 7.625 classic. Same for 8.5 AF1 and 8.38 classic. I personally don't think that anyone would be thrown off by the tiny difference in axle width, a variable that doesn't matter at all. But people do convince themselves of all kinds of things here

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5643 on: July 21, 2022, 06:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What are the dims you're after? Because classics and AF1 come in pretty much the same sizes.
As an example, the 7.75 AF1 has the exact same hanger width as the 7.625 classic. Same for 8.5 AF1 and 8.38 classic. I personally don't think that anyone would be thrown off by the tiny difference in axle width, a variable that doesn't matter at all. But people do convince themselves of all kinds of things here
i think i read in this thread that af-1s are a tad higher, heavier and extend the wheelbase a tiny bit more, but are more stable. i'd probably get 33s of any of those two. before the ventures i was happily riding indy for more than a decade if that helps as a reference.

before asking i was thinking of just getting classics.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5644 on: July 22, 2022, 06:21:32 AM »
If you get the AF1 lows and put the 1/16" shock pad underneath, it brings them to like 50.5mm tall and I'm a heavy dude, still turning really good on them with 52mm wheels. Using a harder top bushing tho which is key for reducing the bite and better snap back to center. They shrink the wheelbase more toward the feel of the classics.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5645 on: July 22, 2022, 10:28:45 AM »
If you get the AF1 lows and put the 1/16" shock pad underneath, it brings them to like 50.5mm tall and I'm a heavy dude, still turning really good on them with 52mm wheels. Using a harder top bushing tho which is key for reducing the bite and better snap back to center. They shrink the wheelbase more toward the feel of the classics.

thanks a lot, that was much more in depth than i was looking for, but i really appreciate it. i might come around to that. 50.5 might actually a bit too low or too much of a change from standard ventures(i think they are 55 or 56mm high!), but since this might be a whole new setup, all bets are off anyway and i might end up with 52 mm wheels instead of the usual 54s.

i'm just hoping for quicker pop. skating ventures is kind of exhausting. everything feels like it needs to be done very deliberately. i liked that for a while now, but after two years, i'm also over it. i don't know, my skating doesn't feel as playful as before, or rather playful skating or dorking around doesn't work for me on ventures. it's like i need to focus too much on what i'm doing. anyways, i digress... thanks again!

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #5646 on: July 22, 2022, 11:23:07 AM »
Venture casts are 53.5mm tall so then just get Ace classics (52mm high) or AF1's (53mm high) either one will be a change from Ventures. AF1's for more strength and no worries about bending axles.

bolts the snowman

• Rep: -37
    • follow @nycskatedaily on instagram! avatar image
« Reply #5647 on: July 22, 2022, 12:29:49 PM »
i should cop some ace trucks i heard you can also smoke some weed out them bitches

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5648 on: July 22, 2022, 12:41:21 PM »
i should cop some ace trucks i heard you can also smoke some weed out them bitches

fuck, i'm definitely going to buy some now.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5649 on: July 22, 2022, 05:50:16 PM »
You do that & get back to us on how it went.
My next truck purchase is hinging on your report.
I know you are up to the task: you’ve totally got this.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

bolts the snowman

• Rep: -37
    • follow @nycskatedaily on instagram! avatar image
« Reply #5650 on: July 22, 2022, 07:12:31 PM »
i literally seen some guy on instagram smoke weed out of an ace truck back on 420

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5651 on: July 23, 2022, 12:17:02 AM »
The true reason for the AF1 low hollows reveals itself
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5652 on: July 28, 2022, 03:38:22 PM »
Skated my first set of AF1's (55's) five times, and I've got a weird issue happening: the deck is leaning to my heel side while riding straight.

I don't notice it that much while riding the board normally, but if I ride the board backwards (tail first), it's very obvious (deck is leaning down on my toe side); if I level the deck, it turns.

Everything looks OK, no deck warp, truck bend, etc., that I can see.  I guess I will try turning the bushings, different bushings, etc., but just wanted to see if this is some known issue during break-in, or maybe a known defect that happens occasionally.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5653 on: July 28, 2022, 05:12:49 PM »
New trucks are painful. Give them a solid few session of break in.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 09:17:44 PM by Frank and Fred »

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #5654 on: July 29, 2022, 02:02:34 AM »
what’s the word on the 55 lows? yea or nay? honestly anything above 8.25 seems wild for a low truck, guess i’m looking for a nudge either towards 44s or 55s lows if anyone’s got an opinion on it
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5655 on: July 29, 2022, 02:24:35 AM »
what’s the word on the 55 lows? yea or nay? honestly anything above 8.25 seems wild for a low truck, guess i’m looking for a nudge either towards 44s or 55s lows if anyone’s got an opinion on it

A hell yeah on the 55 lows. They're a perfect size between other 8.25 and 8.5 trucks. (146mm hanger, same as ace classic 8.38)

I put the low baseplate on my big board with a 66 hanger and 55mm wheels and even with 3mm risers it's unmanageable. Absolutely needs harder bushings on that size. Makes sense they only released lows up to 60s now.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #5656 on: July 29, 2022, 03:40:41 AM »
44 Classics. Hoping this is the last time I put these on a board and they die a noble death.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5657 on: July 29, 2022, 04:57:55 AM »
Back on ace on my regular setup after almost a year on indys.
Before the indys I skated 44 classics. the indys are 159 cast hollow.
Got a set of af1 55 40% off.
Im so glad to be rocking aces again.
Theres nothing wrong with the indys. they work great for everything I do but they lack that little somthing extra extra feeling I get on ace.
I find the "window" for manageable pop timimg is bigger on indys so they let me skate a wider variety of steepness, wheelbase etc.

Right now ive got my setup dialed with 1/8 riser on a medium steep kicked deck with 14.25 wheelbase. feels great

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #5658 on: August 03, 2022, 08:19:10 PM »
Just ordered my first pair of Ace trucks (Classic 55s). I was riding my 8.6” (Snack) on 149 Indy trucks and I just decided that I was tipping cause the trucks weren’t wide enough. I’m hoping wider more turny trucks are really gonna make this deck pop. Also bought Powell Green Dragons (93a 56mm) so I’m by pretty pumped about my new gear.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5659 on: August 04, 2022, 07:34:32 AM »
I ordered Ace hard bushings for my Af1s. Anyone tried mixing the stock bushings with a hard top/bottom bushing?

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #5660 on: August 04, 2022, 10:15:56 AM »
I ordered Ace hard bushings for my Af1s. Anyone tried mixing the stock bushings with a hard top/bottom bushing?

I did it with my lows, first I put the hard barrel on the board side, but they were still to wiggly for me so I ended up using the hard bushings, I gotta say though after that they are the perfect truck for me
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5661 on: August 05, 2022, 03:28:37 AM »
I got the hard bushings today. Put them on my af1s and left the kingpin nut flush on the front, just hair tighter on the back. Tried them quickly and they feel awesome. I run af1s on my cruiser and I was able to make quick and tight turns safely without wheelbites. With stock bushings I had 1 1/2 to 2 threads showing and got wheelbite occasionally. I can say my trucks still  turn as good but with more stability.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 165
« Reply #5662 on: August 05, 2022, 04:47:42 PM »
After being a pretty constant Thunder guy I finally wanted to try a pair of Aces out.
Picked up the 8.25 44 classics, ridden ’em twice and I’m already having issues.
Right of the bat I can’t believe how far out the axle sticks. I’ve got washers in and they even looked like this with cruiser wheels.
I’ve got the kingpin/nut pretty flush, and halfway thru both sessions my back truck got so loose I could tighten the nut with my hand!? Somehow that shit just keeps loosening up.
Anyone else have either of these issues? I like the height & how they turn, but I’m already thinking about going and getting another pair of Thunders…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #5663 on: August 05, 2022, 06:00:21 PM »
After being a pretty constant Thunder guy I finally wanted to try a pair of Aces out.
Right of the bat I can’t believe how far out the axle sticks. I’ve got washers in and they even looked like this with cruiser wheels.
I’ve got the kingpin/nut pretty flush, and halfway thru both sessions my back truck got so loose I could tighten the nut with my hand!? Somehow that shit just keeps loosening up.
Anyone else have either of these issues? I like the height & how they turn, but I’m already thinking about going and getting another pair of Thunders…

Was on Ace for a bit, 44 classics too (with 3 washers inside each wheel so the extra axle was perfect, and it made a 8.5-ish truck which is what I'm riding usually) and I went back to Thunders after having problems with my Aces. I really liked the trucks, I think they were amazing, but the kingpin nut on my back truck would loosen up by itself. I even put krazy glue on the nylock and it held up for a while and then it happened again. Was thinking of trying the 55 AF1 once I'm done with my Thunders (or maybe even before that?) because I really enjoyed my 44s. I just wonder if they also have iffy QC too or if they are solid. 

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #5664 on: August 05, 2022, 06:42:58 PM »
The extra axle you can do the washers like stated above or you can get an old nut that you don’t care about mark where your nut sits with the wheels tightened how you ride them, mark the axle on top of the nut, pull you good nut/wheel off, put old nut on and grind or file the axle to the top of the nut/mark. Use a nut you don’t care about if you go grinder route so you don’t melt the nylock out.
As for the kingpin loosening, have you tried a different nut? I know Aces QC can be a bit lax. New nut may fix it(or not). Cheap and easy if that’s the case, if not your only out some pocket change.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5665 on: August 05, 2022, 06:48:40 PM »
King pin nut loosening sounds scary. I've had three sets of Classic 44s, two sets of Classic 55s and I am currently rotating between AF1 55s, 60s and 66s and not had any issues like that thankfully.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 165
« Reply #5666 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Was on Ace for a bit, 44 classics too (with 3 washers inside each wheel so the extra axle was perfect, and it made a 8.5-ish truck which is what I'm riding usually) and I went back to Thunders after having problems with my Aces. I really liked the trucks, I think they were amazing, but the kingpin nut on my back truck would loosen up by itself. I even put krazy glue on the nylock and it held up for a while and then it happened again. Was thinking of trying the 55 AF1 once I'm done with my Thunders (or maybe even before that?) because I really enjoyed my 44s. I just wonder if they also have iffy QC too or if they are solid.

Wild, sounds like you had the exact same issues that I’m dealing with. And the back truck just kept getting loose? Did you try a different nut on it?

The extra axle you can do the washers like stated above or you can get an old nut that you don’t care about mark where your nut sits with the wheels tightened how you ride them, mark the axle on top of the nut, pull you good nut/wheel off, put old nut on and grind or file the axle to the top of the nut/mark. Use a nut you don’t care about if you go grinder route so you don’t melt the nylock out.
As for the kingpin loosening, have you tried a different nut? I know Aces QC can be a bit lax. New nut may fix it(or not). Cheap and easy if that’s the case, if not your only out some pocket change.

Haven’t tried a different nut since I’ve only skated them twice. Think I’m gonna give that a go next time out.
I did think about grinding down the axle, just seems like a lot to have to under take for trucks. But I am a bit lazy ha.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #5667 on: August 05, 2022, 07:08:54 PM »

I feel pretty dumb for not thinking of that...

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #5668 on: August 07, 2022, 08:37:00 AM »
I always have like $2 worth of brand new truck hardware in my skate bag. Saved my own and my homies’ sessions more time than I can remember.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #5669 on: August 07, 2022, 01:27:55 PM »
Skated my first set of AF1's (55's) five times, and I've got a weird issue happening: the deck is leaning to my heel side while riding straight.

I don't notice it that much while riding the board normally, but if I ride the board backwards (tail first), it's very obvious (deck is leaning down on my toe side); if I level the deck, it turns.

Everything looks OK, no deck warp, truck bend, etc., that I can see.  I guess I will try turning the bushings, different bushings, etc., but just wanted to see if this is some known issue during break-in, or maybe a known defect that happens occasionally.
This happens to me with Ace and Indy. It means that either the bushings aren't broken in or the baseplates are not attached to the deck straight. Make sure your baseplates are straight and rotate your bushings 180 degrees.

If you're out skating and don't have a tool, ride your board backwards to help break in the bushings evenly.