Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 753236 times)

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 230
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5670 on: August 07, 2022, 07:03:00 PM »
So… I have been all Ace for several years now but all of the sudden dealing with the third warped baseplate and now a super loose kingpin. ( all classics).  It’s getting frustrating.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 346
« Reply #5671 on: August 08, 2022, 06:28:13 AM »
Where is it warped? Pivot cavity? I've broken plenty from slappies and had many loose kingpins as well. AF1's are the solution but you still might need to find a better pivot cup like the Riptides.

GumOnMyGrip

« Reply #5672 on: August 08, 2022, 09:19:53 AM »
Where is it warped? Pivot cavity? I've broken plenty from slappies and had many loose kingpins as well. AF1's are the solution but you still might need to find a better pivot cup like the Riptides.

Funny you say that- just popped in some riptide pivots😀.  It’s warped on the actual base in the front. One is from heavy nose slide action- it bent downward in the front ( upward technically) with the concave of the deck. The other two are warped side to side, just like a deck twist. I’m surprised there isn’t a crack in the plate. The loose kingpin I expect (especially if I’ve have the truck a long time,) but this one is like a loose tooth. It may actually be cracked instead of loose. 

I have AF 1 s on my other deck and no problems.

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #5673 on: August 08, 2022, 09:52:30 AM »
I was a huge fan of riptides on my classics, so when the af1 riptides dropped it was a no brainer. Honestly. they are not good. Maybe they were too lubed or something but they were WAY too soft. My trucks did not feel stable at all, no matter what I did to crank them down. The turning became way too twitchy like a thunder.

logjammin

« Reply #5674 on: August 08, 2022, 01:54:10 PM »
You should email Riptide and have them send you another set, maybe they came out a little weird in the batch? I will say though, they do enhance the turn so it makes sense if it makes them twitchier.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #5675 on: August 10, 2022, 08:04:05 PM »
what’s everyone’s pop game like on aces?

got pretty good pop on indys. picked up some af1s and skated them for a year. the turn is pretty unbeatable but do i really dislike the pop. the pop on em feels limp

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5676 on: August 10, 2022, 08:20:53 PM »

got pretty good pop on indys. picked up some af1s and skated them for a year. the turn is pretty unbeatable but do i really dislike the pop. the pop on em feels limp

They pop fine if you pair with the right board and adjust your technique. Maybe try tighten a lil and move your popping foot closer to the bolts, so deeper in the pocket instead of tip of the tail

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1114
« Reply #5677 on: August 10, 2022, 08:47:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They pop fine if you pair with the right board and adjust your technique. Maybe try tighten a lil and move your popping foot closer to the bolts, so deeper in the pocket instead of tip of the tail

This is very solid advice.
The pop isn’t my favorite, so I skate ventures.
Turn on ace is real decent. Real decent.

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5678 on: August 10, 2022, 09:39:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This is very solid advice.
The pop isn’t my favorite, so I skate ventures.
Turn on ace is real decent. Real decent.

I’ve been trying to keep my foot closer to the bolts to fix some flap foot with my ollies and noticed it helped improve my pop with aces. Good advice for sure.

I switched from indy this spring to af1s and the sound kind of tripped me out at first. And I remember having Indy’s on a board, switching to my aces on the same deck and with the aces my board sounded soggy when I’d hit my tail. And just a much lighter/tinny sound when rolling around.

I think I might’ve just gotten used to it bc I don’t really notice it anymore. I think I’m definitely sticking with Ace

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5679 on: August 10, 2022, 10:01:57 PM »
Ace pop can be a bit limp indeed, even with the AF1s. I use the Real 3 ply risers on mine to get a better pop even if I don’t need them for wheelbite. It really helps. Bigger wheels can help too but there might be other reasons why you don’t want to change your wheel size.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5680 on: August 10, 2022, 10:13:35 PM »
I have an ace setup and a venture setup and honestly I feel that a lot of my tricks come up a bit higher on the ace one. Feel like the pop from the trick wasn’t the limiting factor for me but rather my timing and jump etc. but on a soggy board or really small wheels or loose trucks I could see the pop being a bit anemic

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #5681 on: August 11, 2022, 08:21:51 AM »
Just on a whim ordered 44 Af1 lows. Currently on ventures so I know I’m gonna have to adjust but for the hard bushings so hopefully that helps

IpathCats

« Reply #5682 on: August 11, 2022, 10:07:02 AM »
Just on a whim ordered 44 Af1 lows. Currently on ventures so I know I’m gonna have to adjust but for the hard bushings so hopefully that helps

You're in for a world of madness, that will eventually land you on indys.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #5683 on: August 11, 2022, 10:35:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s what I figured. Came from Indy before venture and I was looking for something more in that realm to try. Wanted a low venture but they sizing doesn’t go big enough

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #5684 on: August 11, 2022, 10:47:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ngl I am having a hard time breaking in my AF1s - enough that I was getting bucked doing slappys last night - and I thought “fuck man, do I need to just go back to Indy?”
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5685 on: August 11, 2022, 11:01:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ngl I am having a hard time breaking in my AF1s - enough that I was getting bucked doing slappys last night - and I thought “fuck man, do I need to just go back to Indy?”

This was my experience with my AF1s. I had multiple sessions where my AF1s just were NOT grinding, and on rub bricked/lacquered curbs too...

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5686 on: August 11, 2022, 11:14:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This was my experience with my AF1s. I had multiple sessions where my AF1s just were NOT grinding, and on rub bricked/lacquered curbs too...

Yeah, this is a well seasoned curb I used to skate with my 144s regularly. I like everything else about them but if I can’t get them moving, then I don’t think they are not different enough from a pair of Indys to justify keeping around.

IpathCats

« Reply #5687 on: August 11, 2022, 12:14:51 PM »
Nobody wants to ride indys. Everybody wants to ride a truck that skates just like indys. I've just submitted at this point.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5688 on: August 11, 2022, 12:25:19 PM »
Nobody wants to ride indys. Everybody wants to ride a truck that skates just like indys. I've just submitted at this point.

If the Indys came in blue and orange anodization I would have stuck with them.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5689 on: August 11, 2022, 12:45:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If Indys felt good loose like Ace do, I would have stuck with them.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5690 on: August 11, 2022, 01:04:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How old are they? They seem to get better as you grind them down a bit IME.

logjammin

« Reply #5691 on: August 11, 2022, 01:32:46 PM »
I'll be a broken record and say the first batches of AF1's sucked for grinds for me and I had multiple sets in different sizes. Bought 44's again earlier this summer as a fresher batch with bright white bushings in them and they glide like ice since the start and still do. Then the other day, I got some 77's and they seemed like they were the newer batch with bright white bushings, and they grind like complete shit. I stick on all the stuff I usually grind. It's stupid, I don't get it. I hope once I hit axle on these 44's that I can get a set after that doesn't have sticky grind issues.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5692 on: August 11, 2022, 02:16:13 PM »
Yeah, I have the absolute newest AF1s and they skate the same. I’m definitely not giving up, gonna push them a lot further before I decide that the grind is total dogshit, but just saying that this was not a problem with my previous Indy standards.

Worst case scenario is that I give them away and buy some cheap 144s over the coming Labor Day sales.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5693 on: August 11, 2022, 02:19:56 PM »
Yeah, I have the absolute newest AF1s and they skate the same. I’m definitely not giving up, gonna push them a lot further before I decide that the grind is total dogshit, but just saying that this was not a problem with my previous Indy standards.

Worst case scenario is that I give them away and buy some cheap 144s over the coming Labor Day sales.

Mine got relegated to the cruiser board

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5694 on: August 11, 2022, 06:29:10 PM »
Can't say I've noticed any difference between the way AF1s grind between when they were first released and the 60s that came out pretty recently. I do think they grind better than classics but not as well an Indy/ Thunder. In saying that it really depends on what I'm grinding also. Its not enough of a difference for me to sacrifice all the other gains from Ace... but I do still mix things up with Thunder/ Indy depending on the set up.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #5695 on: August 15, 2022, 03:10:14 AM »
hello Ace friends, im curious as to what sort of wheelbases you guys prefer on Aces? prior to skating Ace I was on Venture 5.8s, skating 8.5's with a wheelbase of 14.5 which to me was ideal and my flip tricks were the most consistent they've been. Moved to Ace 44's, stuck with the 14.5 wb and my tricks went to shit but I figured adjustment period etc. Been over a month now and things are still iffy so I'm thinking maybe drop to a smaller wb, but then I see posts about smaller wb being a bit too squirrely on Ace so I really don't know.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5696 on: August 15, 2022, 03:29:44 AM »
hello Ace friends, im curious as to what sort of wheelbases you guys prefer on Aces? prior to skating Ace I was on Venture 5.8s, skating 8.5's with a wheelbase of 14.5 which to me was ideal and my flip tricks were the most consistent they've been. Moved to Ace 44's, stuck with the 14.5 wb and my tricks went to shit but I figured adjustment period etc. Been over a month now and things are still iffy so I'm thinking maybe drop to a smaller wb, but then I see posts about smaller wb being a bit too squirrely on Ace so I really don't know.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but if the deck comes in at 14.5 when you put the ACE 44 on they tighten the wheelbase to about 14.25 axel to axel

PolarJames

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5697 on: August 15, 2022, 05:07:45 AM »
Yeah if you preferred the Ventures with a board of the same wheelbase then you prefer a longer wheelbase as Ventures have the longest wheelbase of just about any trucks and Ace have pretty much the smallest. You could just go back to Ventures, or maybe Thunders as they have a similar but not quite as long wheelbase to Ventures.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1114
« Reply #5698 on: August 15, 2022, 06:38:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Blippy got you huh

GumOnMyGrip

« Reply #5699 on: August 15, 2022, 10:21:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Blippy got you huh

Surprised Krux hasn’t done a collab😂.

He had the shoes with K Swiss…