Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738991 times)

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5820 on: September 21, 2022, 07:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know when Ace switched to the 86a bottom bushings in the classics? Bought some 33s a few months ago but haven't set them up. Not sure how long they've been in the shop so I'm just wondering if they might have the old Ace bushings. Just wondering because I really want to skate the 86a bottom bushing
[close]

Haven’t the classics always had 86a barrel bottoms and 91a conical tops? Dual Duro bushins. ”loose trucks save lives” and all that.

All of the Classics I had came with softer barrels and harder cones. They do sell 94a Hard bushing sets.

Does anyone actually skate the stock Ace bushings? They're so squishy.

Got my first set of AF1's recently coming off of independents with std 90 duro orange bushings. Holy wheelbite batman and that was just standing on the board. I've never gotten wheelbite before. Every set of Indy's I've had I could lift the off side wheels with no bite.

I tried cranking the Aces down but it didn't help enough so I swapped in some 92 duro independent bushings.

How do people ride 86 duro bushings? How many threads showing before there skateable?

All that aside I think I'm going to like how these turn once I get the bushings set up like I like them. They turn so much further than my Indy's.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5821 on: September 21, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone know when Ace switched to the 86a bottom bushings in the classics? Bought some 33s a few months ago but haven't set them up. Not sure how long they've been in the shop so I'm just wondering if they might have the old Ace bushings. Just wondering because I really want to skate the 86a bottom bushing
[close]

Haven’t the classics always had 86a barrel bottoms and 91a conical tops? Dual Duro bushins. ”loose trucks save lives” and all that.

All of the Classics I had came with softer barrels and harder cones. They do sell 94a Hard bushing sets.
[close]

Got my first set of AF1's recently coming off of independents with std 90 duro orange bushings. Holy wheelbite batman and that was just standing on the board. I've never gotten wheelbite before. Every set of Indy's I've had I could lift the off side wheels with no bite.

I tried cranking the Aces down but it didn't help enough so I swapped in some 92 duro independent bushings.

How do people ride 86 duro bushings? How many threads showing before there skateable?

All that aside I think I'm going to like how these turn once I get the bushings set up like I like them. They turn so much further than my Indy's.

The funny thing with some bushings is they start really REALLY mushy feeling, like there is no give to them whatsoever, but then after a while of rolling around they do firm up and get way better.

That is the feeling I had on the few sets of Ace trucks I have had, so yeah the first skate is not going to be a normal session, more just a roll around and try not to die, for quite a few people who have said that before.

I even had a couple of sets of Ace trucks people pretty much handed back, but with different bushings they were more willing to use them, or I swapped out bushings for the people to stock Indy and they were more comfortable with that, but after I had just had a few very gentle transition based sessions on their new Ace bushings, I gave the trucks / bushings back to the people and they were stoked on how they worked for them now.

Obviously this is just one situation really, but try to give them a little before trying to tighten them down to skate in a "business as usual" way and they should perform way better for you.

If not, as said try the Ace hard bushing kit, or any other bushings you have from other trucks first.

The AF1 trucks, I ended up with maybe three threads on the back showing and angle grinded the kingpin down and now they are still stable loose (not crazy loose) with more kingpin clearance too.

Classics I had the nut flush and they seemed to work well at that point, but they are more on a cruiser type setup with risers and big soft wheels, more so than skating them normally, on the one set I had right from new.

Other used sets of Classics the bushings were quite firm, but I don't know what the person did with them before they came to me to end up like that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #5822 on: September 21, 2022, 07:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Stock bushings, nuts flush. You just need to ride those bushings, after a while they harden up. Best bushings in the biz imo.
e. What dude above me said.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5823 on: September 21, 2022, 10:13:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Stock bushings, nuts flush. You just need to ride those bushings, after a while they harden up. Best bushings in the biz imo.
e. What dude above me said.

Exactly. I would say that a large majority of people riding Aces use the stock bushings and keep the nut flush. On some sets of the classics I’ve changed the washers cuz with the stock ones the trucks have been too tight but others have been fine. My first set of AF1s were crazy loose initially. Took a few sessions to firm up. Others have been consistent from the beginning. Just ride it out. Best turn, best bushings, best trucks.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5824 on: September 22, 2022, 11:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The bushings make the turn, man. Put em back on please you're missing out. You'll be able to crank em after a few sessions
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5825 on: September 22, 2022, 11:32:39 AM »
If you really can't stand the stock Ace bushing (please give them a solid handful of sessions, like everyone has said) then try the aftermarket hards.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #5826 on: September 22, 2022, 11:57:03 AM »
I didn't even really like the Ace hards they don't have the same amazing bouncy rebounds as the stock/aftermarket mediums. They are seriously amazing bushings though, put them back on they will harden up a bit, promise.

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #5827 on: September 22, 2022, 12:01:24 PM »
best risers for af1s to match indy height?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5828 on: September 22, 2022, 12:02:31 PM »
The hards get better with break in also. They loosen up a bit and rebound even better than the stock. They were ideal in hot weather but now its cooled down again they are feeling a little hard for my taste. Seasonal Bushing Mental Meltdown.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5829 on: September 22, 2022, 12:03:20 PM »

Ace Risers fit perfectly but will be the tiniest bit higher than a Indy. We're talking 1mm...

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5830 on: September 22, 2022, 12:06:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace Risers fit perfectly but will be the tiniest bit higher than a Indy. We're talking 1mm...

would the Ace Shockpads be any better? They're thinner than the risers.

DERBY

« Reply #5831 on: September 22, 2022, 12:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

would you recommend the 1/8 or 1/16? the 1/16 is soft

IpathCats

« Reply #5832 on: September 22, 2022, 12:09:02 PM »
1/16th risers are about 1.5mm 1/8th risers are about 3mm (fractions of a mm more). So a 1/8th riser would put an af1 right about an indy standard height, and a 1/16th riser would put an af1 at an indy forged height.

DERBY

« Reply #5833 on: September 22, 2022, 12:09:34 PM »
1/16th risers are about 1.5mm 1/8th risers are about 3mm (fractions of a mm more). So a 1/8th riser would put an af1 right about an indy standard height, and a 1/16th riser would put an af1 at an indy forged height.

awesome! thank you so much

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5834 on: September 22, 2022, 12:09:40 PM »
1/8" is about 3mm
1/16" is about 1.5mm

I like both but typically prefer the 1/8" as I am an old, slow, heavy bloke who likes loose trucks.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5835 on: September 22, 2022, 12:11:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The bushings make the turn, man. Put em back on please you're missing out. You'll be able to crank em after a few sessions

Stock bushings is comparable to sex. Cant really do much with it when it soft and squishy but tease it alittle and give it time to get comfortable/gain some confidence and that thing will harden up and give you the best ride of your life.

IpathCats

« Reply #5836 on: September 22, 2022, 12:13:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

awesome! thank you so much

np

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5837 on: September 23, 2022, 07:56:40 AM »
I'm struggling with some setup madness.  Trying to move to a larger board, bigger wheelbase (14.5") because I'm big and getting old and I feel dumb riding smaller boards now. Finding the right trucks have been a struggle.  I tried AF1 55s and they were decent, but the weight was hard for me to flip.  Has anyone tried the hollows do they actually feel lighter and flip faster?  Any comparisons to forged hollow Indy 149s would also be greatly appreciated.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5838 on: September 23, 2022, 08:06:56 AM »
I have not but I am also old and big.   I've found the best remedy when my set ups are feeling heavy and sluggish is smaller wheels, lowering the rig. More stable, responsive and flips better. Not to say lighter trucks won't help but I've never messed with hollow anything...

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5839 on: September 23, 2022, 09:42:04 AM »
Was on my classics all summer and just switched back to my AF1.

ACE bros why is my truck suddenly clicking. Is it because I have them significantly looser and the washer catches?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #5840 on: September 23, 2022, 09:50:23 AM »

ACE bros why is my truck suddenly clicking. Is it because I have them significantly looser and the washer catches?

check that pivot cup, mine did the same thing even though i had the classics and it stopped once i switch that lil fucker out

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5841 on: September 23, 2022, 09:55:08 AM »

Because they click and no one knows why. I haven't been able to find an adequate answer and no matter what I try, they'll just click again every once in a while.

IpathCats

« Reply #5842 on: September 23, 2022, 10:00:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Because they click and no one knows why. I haven't been able to find an adequate answer and no matter what I try, they'll just click again every once in a while.

Pretty sure the clicking has been identified as the bushing spilling over, or the washer itself moving from side to side

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5843 on: September 23, 2022, 11:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Pretty sure the clicking has been identified as the bushing spilling over, or the washer itself moving from side to side

I don’t think the bushings bulging over the washer is related as that doesn’t happen in AF1s but I do think it was identified as one of the washers clicking against the kingpin. It’s happened on all my AF1s and it goes away eventually. Doesn’t bother me much. Would be nicer if it didn’t happen but it does. Someone had a fix too but I can’t really what it was as I didn’t care enough to try it myself.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5844 on: September 23, 2022, 07:03:31 PM »

If I remember it's to do with the hole in the washers for the bushings being maybe too big. Think people swapped the washers out (maybe Indy ones) and it helped

con_hielo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5845 on: September 24, 2022, 12:56:51 PM »
Hey,
I looked around in the thread but still wasnt sure what was the best option if my classic 55's front truck kingpin is starting to get loose. Is it because its broken or that even if I switch it to another one the kingpin hole is already hole-out so it wont change anything? Thanks!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5846 on: September 24, 2022, 02:30:53 PM »
Hey,
I looked around in the thread but still wasnt sure what was the best option if my classic 55's front truck kingpin is starting to get loose. Is it because its broken or that even if I switch it to another one the kingpin hole is already hole-out so it wont change anything? Thanks!

Your best bet is to email Ace about a warranty. This happened to me (both trucks), I reached out to Ace and they offered some replacements. I requested some AF1s 44s, and they sent them to me without any hassle. The whole thing took like six days, though I know some people here say that they had to bug Ace a few times.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5847 on: September 24, 2022, 04:13:17 PM »
I had pivot cup blow out and clicking and although I asked Ace just for some cups they sent me an entire set of trucks. Their warranty service is great.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5848 on: September 24, 2022, 09:47:29 PM »
Hey,

Even if you get new trucks as a warranty replacement the kingpin can be salvaged. Just hammer it out, put a bunch steel epoxy in there and hammer it back in. I’ve done this to two sets of old Ace 44s and had no issues since. If you do this, remember to be careful not to bend the baseplate and use a nut on the kingpin so you won’t fuck up the kingpin threads while hammering. You also need a bolt or something to hammer the kingpin back in deep enough.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5849 on: September 25, 2022, 05:13:32 AM »
I think the click comes from hard tight fitting washers (kingpin hardness/dimensions could factor in). I would bet its the top/roadside washer clicking on the threads.

Indy washers by my measure have a larger hole and seem softer than ace.

I use flat washers top and bottom in my AF1's and the repurposed Bones washers (also hard metal w/small hole) click a tiny bit once and awhile.