Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738870 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5850 on: September 25, 2022, 06:42:20 AM »
I think the click comes from hard tight fitting washers (kingpin hardness/dimensions could factor in). I would bet its the top/roadside washer clicking on the threads.

Indy washers by my measure have a larger hole and seem softer than ace.

I use flat washers top and bottom in my AF1's and the repurposed Bones washers (also hard metal w/small hole) click a tiny bit once and awhile.

I immediately swapped out the stock AF1 washers with some of those sleeve longboard washers and the clicking happened just as it did with my bone stock Classics. I eventually took them apart, cleaned them up, and applied an extremely thin layer of waterproof grease. This made the clicking go away, though I expect the grease will eventually wear out and need replacing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #5851 on: September 25, 2022, 07:23:00 AM »
Anyone here put an inverted kingpin into an AF1?

Any tips? I hear the kingpin can be a bitch to get out.
And do you prep the inside of the baseplate for the steel epoxy?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5852 on: September 25, 2022, 08:17:34 AM »
Anyone here put an inverted kingpin into an AF1?

Any tips? I hear the kingpin can be a bitch to get out.
And do you prep the inside of the baseplate for the steel epoxy?

I did it to my 44 classics and I know I cant stop you from doing this so use jb weld steel stick and get a kreper kingpin or krux.

It's not really worth it I think because I had to completely remove the truck everytime I wanted to tighten/adjust. I felt it also removed alot of what makes the truck work.

If youve ever seen that Simpsons episode where bart sells his soul? That's you replacing the kingpin

con_hielo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #5853 on: September 25, 2022, 10:45:54 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback! Ive send a email to the customer service and meanwhile put an old kingpin from a blown out baseplate. If it does get loose again, Im give it another try with the epoxy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 06:59:17 PM by con_hielo »

Bold

• Rep: 18
« Reply #5854 on: September 25, 2022, 11:18:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone know when Ace switched to the 86a bottom bushings in the classics? Bought some 33s a few months ago but haven't set them up. Not sure how long they've been in the shop so I'm just wondering if they might have the old Ace bushings. Just wondering because I really want to skate the 86a bottom bushing
[close]

Haven’t the classics always had 86a barrel bottoms and 91a conical tops? Dual Duro bushins. ”loose trucks save lives” and all that.

All of the Classics I had came with softer barrels and harder cones. They do sell 94a Hard bushing sets.
[close]

Does anyone actually skate the stock Ace bushings? They're so squishy.

Got my first set of AF1's recently coming off of independents with std 90 duro orange bushings. Holy wheelbite batman and that was just standing on the board. I've never gotten wheelbite before. Every set of Indy's I've had I could lift the off side wheels with no bite.

I tried cranking the Aces down but it didn't help enough so I swapped in some 92 duro independent bushings.

How do people ride 86 duro bushings? How many threads showing before there skateable?

All that aside I think I'm going to like how these turn once I get the bushings set up like I like them. They turn so much further than my Indy's.
[close]

The bushings make the turn, man. Put em back on please you're missing out. You'll be able to crank em after a few sessions
[close]

Stock bushings is comparable to sex. Cant really do much with it when it soft and squishy but tease it alittle and give it time to get comfortable/gain some confidence and that thing will harden up and give you the best ride of your life.

Sex you say. Ok I'm sold. I put the stock bushings back in but I did have to tighten the nut to about 2 or 3 threads showing to start with. Plan to loosen them a bit each week.
Hopefully if I keep playing with it, things will stiffen up.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5855 on: September 25, 2022, 08:09:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I think the click comes from hard tight fitting washers (kingpin hardness/dimensions could factor in). I would bet its the top/roadside washer clicking on the threads.

I use flat washers top and bottom in my AF1's and the repurposed Bones washers (also hard metal w/small hole) click a tiny bit once and awhile.
[close]

I immediately swapped out the stock AF1 washers with some of those sleeve longboard washers and the clicking happened just as it did with my bone stock Classics. I eventually took them apart, cleaned them up, and applied an extremely thin layer of waterproof grease. This made the clicking go away, though I expect the grease will eventually wear out and need replacing.
I use natural bar soap dissolved in water to lubricate pivot cups/bushings. There is just too much grit in Arizona for exposed grease.

I do grease bearing seats and bearings. Lithium in the wheel/bearing seat and high pressure molly packing the bearings.

IpathCats

« Reply #5856 on: September 26, 2022, 06:12:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I use natural bar soap dissolved in water to lubricate pivot cups/bushings. There is just too much grit in Arizona for exposed grease.

I do grease bearing seats and bearings. Lithium in the wheel/bearing seat and high pressure molly packing the bearings.

motor oil is your friend. Dip a qtip or dab a paper towel in some, allows you to put a very light coat wherever needed. Motor oil holds up a lot better over time too.

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #5857 on: September 26, 2022, 08:45:26 PM »
sorry back again with the riser question. my local only got these. would they fit the af1?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #5858 on: September 26, 2022, 08:56:45 PM »
sorry back again with the riser question. my local only got these. would they fit the af1?

If I remember correctly the independent ones don’t line up, it ends up being staggered. I had a pair from Pig and another pair from Vision that both worked with Aces

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #5859 on: September 26, 2022, 09:10:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If I remember correctly the independent ones don’t line up, it ends up being staggered. I had a pair from Pig and another pair from Vision that both worked with Aces

thanks for the looks. saw some pigs and a shake junt at some other shop i might scope out

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #5860 on: September 26, 2022, 09:25:04 PM »
Tom Penny riding Ace ?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5861 on: September 26, 2022, 10:09:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0149/1971/products/IndependentShockPads_1024x1024.jpg

[close]

[close]

thanks for the looks. saw some pigs and a shake junt at some other shop i might scope out

If they are the rubber ones, you can cut them to size as the ones I had were way larger than any baseplate, so I trimmed them down, either with a blade when mounted on an old / unwanted board under the required trucks or scissors.

That way they can fit whatever truck you need, including cutting between the two double holes and lengthening out the single holes to fit Thunder easily enough as well.

Just a thought for you, as that worked really well for boards I had set up.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5862 on: September 27, 2022, 04:49:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

motor oil is your friend. Dip a qtip or dab a paper towel in some, allows you to put a very light coat wherever needed. Motor oil holds up a lot better over time too.

There is so much fine dust here in the desert anything waxy/oily or greasy will pickup sand/clay and turn what was a lubricante into a polishing paste.
Soap does not last however when it dries it flakes away and takes all the dirt with it.
I imagine soapy water could rust washers and kingpins if used in a humid environment.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5863 on: September 27, 2022, 05:14:48 AM »
Can't express how much I love my AF1 55's
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5864 on: September 27, 2022, 06:42:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

mini logo (0.1" soft, 0.25" & 0,5" hard) have oblong holes, it fits any baseplate
bones have the same feature but i think they are only available in 1/8"

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #5865 on: September 27, 2022, 09:50:21 AM »
Tom Penny riding Ace ?

Looks that way
Cocteau Twins

IpathCats

« Reply #5866 on: September 27, 2022, 10:54:19 AM »

Good thing about the soft rubber risers is that they're easy to trim.
Expand Quote
Tom Penny riding Ace ?
[close]

Looks that way

Is there a pic im not seeing from my work pc? this is gonna make me run out to my phone.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5867 on: September 27, 2022, 10:59:44 AM »
yep he has a new ad for them and youcan tell he is legit riding them cause of the white bushing (its just re used footage from the es commercial)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci-NDQnAJYG/
ONTARIO CANADA

IpathCats

« Reply #5868 on: September 27, 2022, 11:01:21 AM »
yep he has a new ad for them and youcan tell he is legit riding them cause of the white bushing (its just re used footage from the es commercial)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci-NDQnAJYG/

Interesting, he's got them pretty tight, wonder what ones he's riding?

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #5869 on: September 27, 2022, 12:36:51 PM »
They posted in their story him holding AF1 22's, the AF1 tool, and a pack of the aftermarket hards.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #5870 on: September 27, 2022, 01:08:34 PM »
i just got ace trucks and i love them. that’s my contribution to the thread

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5871 on: September 27, 2022, 10:30:41 PM »
Just got a set of af1 hollow 55s and I’m really digging them. I set them up on a polar 8.5” and it’s working really nice. Only complaint is the clicking but I know that’ll go away soon.

My other set is af1 44s so I can’t really tell the weight difference with the hollows. Board doesn’t feel heavy though

But yeah I think I’m only skating ace from now on. I threw some 149 Indy hollows on the polar earlier and wasn’t really liking the turn or grind. Was running conical orange bushings too

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #5872 on: September 27, 2022, 11:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0149/1971/products/IndependentShockPads_1024x1024.jpg

[close]

[close]

[close]

If they are the rubber ones, you can cut them to size as the ones I had were way larger than any baseplate, so I trimmed them down, either with a blade when mounted on an old / unwanted board under the required trucks or scissors.

That way they can fit whatever truck you need, including cutting between the two double holes and lengthening out the single holes to fit Thunder easily enough as well.

The problem with the Independent ones is that they end up being staggered. The baseplate extends past the riser on one side and the riser extends past the baseplate on the other side. Cutting to size isn’t really an option since the riser needs to be longer on one side.

Side note, the Independent risers don’t even fit Independent trucks that well. They’re slightly smaller than the baseplate so the truck slightly hangs over the riser. It doesn’t affect the ride, but it still bothers me when I setup a new deck.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #5873 on: September 28, 2022, 04:01:30 AM »
Two things Ace bros

Hard bushings made my clicking go away immediately and I'm also 240+ lbs for reference

Why not order the Ace risers which is designed to fit the Truck and are maybe 7$

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5874 on: September 28, 2022, 06:34:19 AM »
Why not order the Ace risers which is designed to fit the Truck
They fit classics perfectly, but not the AF1s

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5875 on: September 28, 2022, 06:35:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The problem with the Independent ones is that they end up being staggered. The baseplate extends past the riser on one side and the riser extends past the baseplate on the other side. Cutting to size isn’t really an option since the riser needs to be longer on one side.

Side note, the Independent risers don’t even fit Independent trucks that well. They’re slightly smaller than the baseplate so the truck slightly hangs over the riser. It doesn’t affect the ride, but it still bothers me when I setup a new deck.

Concerning the riser that's slightly shorter than the baseplate, isn't that what you want though? So you don't stick on nose and tailslides. Riser-bite is deadly.

Edit: talking bout soft risers, hard ones might slide better actually?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #5876 on: September 28, 2022, 06:53:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They were released with the AF-1. I used them briefly with my AF-1s and they fit perfectly snug.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5877 on: September 28, 2022, 09:37:38 AM »
Hard bushings are the truth. landings feel so much better

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #5878 on: September 28, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Concerning the riser that's slightly shorter than the baseplate, isn't that what you want though? So you don't stick on nose and tailslides. Riser-bite is deadly.

Edit: talking bout soft risers, hard ones might slide better actually?

I use the Real universal wooden ones on my AF1s, they stuck out but still slid great and have since worn down to be flush with the baseplate.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #5879 on: September 28, 2022, 03:07:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My brother in Christ they fit perfectly.

I'm looking at them across the room